Wedding Woes

The government is a disaster but at least it’s Friday!

Happy Friday! We may or may not have a functioning government by the end of the weekend (joking; mostly) but at least it’s Friday! 

I’m going to see Mean Girls the musical tonight with my best friend! I’m super excited, I need a break from work and the floors and she needs a night out without the twins. So looking forward to it! 

H was finally in a better mood last night because things are finally moving forward with the new position at his office. His boss is getting moved (her boss was fired, they were both really bad managers) and he’s helping restructure the department. He doesn’t have the HR offer yet but was told it’s coming next week. 

Other than that, not too much!

Re: The government is a disaster but at least it’s Friday!

• @charlotte989875 are you referring to the impeachment? I saw the thing Nancy Palossi did announcing it but haven't had a chance to follow up since he said it was b.s
    Let me know how Mean Girls musical goes! I've never heard of it!
    Yay to your H going forward! :)
  • Tomorrow is my friend's bday lunch. Her actual bday is Sunday, but with buses and she has plans with her family.
    Once again, M is likely going to football game and MIL is gonna watch BabyKitten. I'm gonna really push for her to watch BabyKitten at our place because likelihood, M will be putting her down for a nap after he drops me off at the lunch.

Sunday likely nothing. We have cleaning to do so we'll likely do that. Basic cleaning and some serious cleaning .... guh.
  • banana468 said:
    @charlotte989875 are you referring to the impeachment? I saw the thing Nancy Palossi did announcing it but haven't had a chance to follow up since he said it was b.s
    yeah, there's a lot of shit happening.

Pelosi started the Impeachment inquiry this week and POTUS is calling it a load of BS.   In doing this though he has not denied the attempt to ask a foreign power for dirt on a political opponent in exchange for money.   

I still don't think the process will go well because thus far many senators are still pulling the BS of party before country and then he won't be convicted if this ever goes to trial.   Also, should he be convicted and have to leave office, Pence takes over.    It's not like any removal suddenly means we get a new election.   
    Ahh! Okay! I had just seen up to Dickwad saying it was b.s. ... and saying it's never happened before. Uh ok bro, look up American history. There have been 2 attempts and one successful impeachment. {note: M and I were surprised Nixon wasn't officially impeached!}

M and I were talking about this recently, and since there's an election in 2020 {how t.f do you guys do 400 days of election shit? We're 40 days and it's annoying.} depending on how this goes, may depend on how election goes.

Just get him and Pence out. Ryan is the least of the disasters and that's saying something
  • I’m really not following the impeachment.  Right now I’m more focused on the handwritten letter that a Wisconsin inmate wrote saying he was the real killer (re: making a murderer).  Except his story doesn’t make ANY sense. 
    https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Wisconsin-Inmates-Confession-Released-by-Steven-Averys-Attorney-561439241.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_CHBrand

I hope my doc lets me out of my binder’s by the 5th.  I have an appt with him tomorrow but I think he’ll want me fo wear them 1 more week.  I bought a cute ass dress for the wedding I’m going to for only $34 and I wanna wear it!

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/connected-crinkled-metallic-flyaway-dress?ID=6781443&cm_mmc=OpsEmail-_-240_bops_order_confirmation-_-6781443-_-MB&m_sc=em&m_sb=OpsEmail&m_tp=1N&m_cn=240_bops_order_confirmation&m_pi=MB&m_l=6781443&m_s=OES-EOD2401NMCOM092119&cm_lm_mo64=cGFtZWxhNzlAZ21haWwuY29t

• banana468 said:
    @charlotte989875 are you referring to the impeachment? I saw the thing Nancy Palossi did announcing it but haven't had a chance to follow up since he said it was b.s

Pelosi started the Impeachment inquiry this week and POTUS is calling it a load of BS.   In doing this though he has not denied the attempt to ask a foreign power for dirt on a political opponent in exchange for money.   

I still don't think the process will go well because thus far many senators are still pulling the BS of party before country and then he won't be convicted if this ever goes to trial.   Also, should he be convicted and have to leave office, Pence takes over.    It's not like any removal suddenly means we get a new election.   
    Ahh! Okay! I had just seen up to Dickwad saying it was b.s. ... and saying it's never happened before. Uh ok bro, look up American history. There have been 2 attempts and one successful impeachment. {note: M and I were surprised Nixon wasn't officially impeached!}

M and I were talking about this recently, and since there's an election in 2020 {how t.f do you guys do 400 days of election shit? We're 40 days and it's annoying.} depending on how this goes, may depend on how election goes.

Just get him and Pence out. Ryan is the least of the disasters and that's saying something
    The issue is that there's still a strong support by Trump's base and a Republican majority in the Senate who are also not going to upset the apple cart.

If you want to get Trump and Pence out you're going to need a moderate Democrat to go up against them.   I had high hopes for Biden but the current issue with his son isn't exactly helping his candidacy either.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

The issue is that there's still a strong support by Trump's base and a Republican majority in the Senate who are also not going to upset the apple cart.

If you want to get Trump and Pence out you're going to need a moderate Democrat to go up against them.   I had high hopes for Biden but the current issue with his son isn't exactly helping his candidacy either.
    I normally stay away from all things political, but am I the only one who is frustrated (to say the least) that in 2020 our choices still boil down to 70+ year old males?  
  • MobKaz said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I normally stay away from all things political, but am I the only one who is frustrated (to say the least) that in 2020 our choices still boil down to 70+ year old males?  
    Only if you let them! I’m happily supporting Elizabeth Warren. We tried a moderate Dem last time and it didn’t work. 
  • MobKaz said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Only if you let them! I’m happily supporting Elizabeth Warren. We tried a moderate Dem last time and it didn’t work. 
    Do you think that she will get the swing vote?  

I don't think Clinton didn't get the vote last time because she was a moderate.   I think she didn't get elected because of controversies surrounding her time as SOS, Clinton Foundation, etc.   I think Biden would have been elected had he run.

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2019
    banana468 said:
    MobKaz said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I don't think Clinton didn't get the vote last time because she was a moderate.   I think she didn't get elected because of controversies surrounding her time as SOS, Clinton Foundation, etc.   I think Biden would have been elected had he run.

Clinton didn't get the votes because of a sustained misinformation campaign against her since the '90s and sexism.  Biden is riding on Obama's coattails and if he'd done it then, he probably would've gotten the nomination.  However, I think he has proven that he is out of step with most of the Democrat Party goals and platforms at this point and needs to retire.

I think any Democrat on the stage now polling into the top 5 can pull the swing vote.
  • I'm going with Warren this time too.  I voted for Bernie in the primaries and Clinton in the general in 2016, im honestly anxious for 2020. 

FWP but it got into the 80s twice this week and my front porch mums aren't looking great.  Kids and I have a four-day weekend (schools are closed Mon & Tues in observance of Rosh Hashanah) and I'm very much looking forward to some down time with them.  We'll kick off with apple picking tomorrow morning.  Apple pie, apple fritter bread and my late aunt's phenomenal apple walnut bread to follow :) 
  • Yeah, watching this shit show go down is part amusement and part sheer terror that everything is just going to collapse because R's WILL NOT do a damn thing about anything.  Again he said it, he could shoot someone on 5th Ave in broad daylight and he'd still get votes.   Ugh.  I've become more choosy in the news I take in because I need to stay sane. 

Anyhoo, tonight we're laying low.  Tomorrow, we have popcorn sales and then some running around to do.  After that we plan to get some stuff done around th house.  Sunday, we're heading out uber early to boat with BIL/SIL because DH wants to waterski and the earlier in the day, the better for that.  After boating, it's family bdays at my sister's house.  
  • banana468 said:

So damn true and sad!
  • VarunaTT said:
    I think nearly every president has had an impeachment resolution made, with varying levels of seriousness/success.  We've only had 2 formal impeachment attempts (Jackson and Clinton) meaning the House voted for impeachment and neither of them resulting in removal from office (acquitted, not convicted of crimes, from Senate) and 1 resignation before House impeachment vote could happen (Nixon).  I had been on the fence and supporting Pelosi's decision, but the Ukraine phone call combined with the intelligence community recently removing a high level spy from the Kremlin (high level enough to take pictures of papers on Putin's desk) b/c they didn't trust the president to not out the spy, changed my mind.  I think he's a treasonous SOB and I'm now interested to see exactly how far this corruption goes.  Not only that, but outing any spy's identity, especially with Russia's history, is so incredibly dangerous.  

I'm interested to hear that 35 Republican Senators would vote for impeachment if it was "secret".  That level of cowardice and party before country makes me sick to my stomach.  I don't believe for one hot second that Democrats are perfect and I know they weren't during Clinton's impeachment process, but national security is on the line here and I'm seriously appalled that any Congressperson is okay with that.

I'm giving equal time/money to Warren and Harris.  I'm not sure who I would choose if I had to, but I highly doubt they're both in the primary by the time my state primary happens, so I'll be able to vote for my first choice.  But NO to Biden and Sanders both.  And this is coming from someone who supported both Biden and Sanders at one point.

I must, MUST clean my home this weekend.  I'm disgusted at this point and it's really my fault.  We're seeing Abominable tonight and I"m really excited.  I'm also waiting for my theatre to announce Judy! times so we can see that one too.  Other than that, not too much.

ETA:  I know Clinton was censured and I think Jackson was as well.  I also think Clinton ended up disbarred.  Giuliani's ass needs to be disbarred yesterday.

ETAA:  I'd love to see a Warren/Harris; Harris/Warren ticket.  I think they're be a juggernaut together with their different experiences and styles and I'd be down to have an experience #yesallmen have had their entire lives and history of this country; voting for a ticket that is both their gender.
    It’s actually only 13 of 45 Presidents have had a resolution introduced to open an impeachment inquiry. Most of the resolutions failed. 
  • banana468 said:
    MobKaz said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I don’t think there is a moderate swing vote to get. I think she will drive people to the polls who didn’t feel heard on economic issues last time. 
  • MobKaz said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Apologies.  You are correct.  I rushed my response and merely listed the two current poll leaders.  I'm just frustrated.  I wish I could take traits from several candidates and make my own candidate!
  • banana468 said:
    MobKaz said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

I don’t think there is a moderate swing vote to get. I think she will drive people to the polls who didn’t feel heard on economic issues last time. 
    Well, I'm going to disagree there.  I don't think they will get the swing vote at all nor will the win over places that were previously blue that Trump won.  IMO, the strategy needs to be about who can win back the votes lost in 2016.  
  • Also, I fully acknowledge that the above-mentioned group is a group of privilege, who are least likely to be strongly affected by the nonsense of either party, and so have the luxury of making these value judgments. (Value judgments are still a good thing - everyone should have the privilege of making them.)

This group still exists and will vote, so take that into consideration as you will.
  • Also, I fully acknowledge that the above-mentioned group is a group of privilege, who are least likely to be strongly affected by the nonsense of either party, and so have the luxury of making these value judgments. (Value judgments are still a good thing - everyone should have the privilege of making them.)

This group still exists and will vote, so take that into consideration as you will.
    This is pretty much where DH and I are.   We are definitely people who have privilege and live in an area of it and also voted 3rd party in 2016.   We do not live in a swing state and knew that all electoral votes would go blue.    Thus far we are not excited about any candidate and my fear is that we're going to be in the same situation after election day next year.  
  • There's a swing vote.

The moderates just aren't vocal because there isn't anyone to be vocal about. We basically hate our lives right now. I would consider myself moderate, and I think I skew more liberal than DH, who may be more of a true moderate. Neither of us could justify in good conscience voting for Trump last time, but that doesn't mean we were comfortable voting for Clinton (or did). Part of that was that she didn't articulate any sort of vision for the country beyond "Come on, really, you'd elect that guy and not me?" (So while I think it's a more liberal vision than the majority of the country is willing to go for, I appreciate that at least the Dems are trying to offer one this time around.)

I'm in the camp of we-have-to-get-the-crazy-dude-out-of-the-WH, but other moderates won't go that far. While they may hate Trump, there is still a limit to the "cost" that some people are willing to take on. There is absolutely still a group that would vote 3rd party again if they feel they have to because no good options are being presented to them. And it is a group that had their civic duty drilled into them since they were kids accompanying their parents to the polls before work, and wouldn't dream of just not voting. Maybe a lot of those who didn't vote last time will turn out as well, in favor of a very liberal vision. But since no candidate seems to be really exciting even the most liberal of voters, I really don't know about that.
    Oh come on. If you aren’t camp we must end this nonsense, you aren’t moderate.
  • Primaries aren’t about moderates; diehard partisans vote in primaries and they vote not for the candidate that will do the best in the general, but who of their party’s options best reflects their own positions. So moderates aren’t the ones who show up to vote in primaries, which is why they don’t get candidates who reflect their values/get excited about. There are plenty of moderate Dems in the field now. 

Also, there are few, if any, true independents. Moderates, yes, but independents are really centrists who tend to lean & vote in one direction, but can be swayed depending on the candidate/issues/whatever. (If you’re interested in the research on this read The Myth of the Independent Voter). 
  • There's a swing vote.

The moderates just aren't vocal because there isn't anyone to be vocal about. We basically hate our lives right now. I would consider myself moderate, and I think I skew more liberal than DH, who may be more of a true moderate. Neither of us could justify in good conscience voting for Trump last time, but that doesn't mean we were comfortable voting for Clinton (or did). Part of that was that she didn't articulate any sort of vision for the country beyond "Come on, really, you'd elect that guy and not me?" (So while I think it's a more liberal vision than the majority of the country is willing to go for, I appreciate that at least the Dems are trying to offer one this time around.)

I'm in the camp of we-have-to-get-the-crazy-dude-out-of-the-WH, but other moderates won't go that far. While they may hate Trump, there is still a limit to the "cost" that some people are willing to take on. There is absolutely still a group that would vote 3rd party again if they feel they have to because no good options are being presented to them. And it is a group that had their civic duty drilled into them since they were kids accompanying their parents to the polls before work, and wouldn't dream of just not voting. Maybe a lot of those who didn't vote last time will turn out as well, in favor of a very liberal vision. But since no candidate seems to be really exciting even the most liberal of voters, I really don't know about that.
    And if you can't recognize that many moderates are also looking at things like the balances of their retirement investments and problems that they are encountering with healthcare since the ACA was enacted then you aren't being realistic.    

I don't care what brush you want to use while painting those voters.   The fact is that there are enough of them, they are generally older and vote at higher percentages compared to younger citizens, and they exist in particularly strategic states that the Democrats need in 2020.     If you aren't seeing that then you just re-elected Trump/Pence in 2020. 
  • banana468 said:
    There's a swing vote.

And if you can't recognize that many moderates are also looking at things like the balances of their retirement investments and problems that they are encountering with healthcare since the ACA was enacted then you aren't being realistic.    

I don't care what brush you want to use while painting those voters.   The fact is that there are enough of them, they are generally older and vote at higher percentages compared to younger citizens, and they exist in particularly strategic states that the Democrats need in 2020.     If you aren't seeing that then you just re-elected Trump/Pence in 2020. 
    I’ll contentedly paint them with the selfish racist brush. And they were that way before Trump and they’ll be that way after. 
  • banana468 said:
    There's a swing vote.

I’ll contentedly paint them with the selfish racist brush. And they were that way before Trump and they’ll be that way after. 
    Are you content to paint them with a brush and getting the President re-elected? Because that's what will happen. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    There's a swing vote.

Are you content to paint them with a brush and getting the President re-elected? Because that's what will happen. 
    No it won’t. My calling them selfish and racist has nothing to do with anything. They want to pretend they’re caring people but they are not. If Biden is nominated, they won’t vote for him. If Bloomberg, who I love, ran as a Democrat, they wouldn’t vote for him. For a person who for any reason at this point has any willingness to vote for Trump, there exists no possible democrat to get the to change their mind. Because as much as they want to pretend they’re just fiscally conservative moderates, that’s a lie. 
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    There's a swing vote.

No it won’t. My calling them selfish and racist has nothing to do with anything. They want to pretend they’re caring people but they are not. If Biden is nominated, they won’t vote for him. If Bloomberg, who I love, ran as a Democrat, they wouldn’t vote for him. For a person who for any reason at this point has any willingness to vote for Trump, there exists no possible democrat to get the to change their mind. Because as much as they want to pretend they’re just fiscally conservative moderates, that’s a lie. 
    And if this is the mind-set of Democrats when putting forth candidates then they can thank themselves for four more years.   You can call people names and feel good about that and if you aren't offering a realistic solution then at the end of the day you are left with name calling as your only victory.