Wedding Woes

Hump Day

Schools are closed again (today is Yom Kippur)  but I wake up at the same time every day anyway.  The kids have been going nonstop so I'm thrilled that they're actually still asleep right now!  I got in my workout in peace and just finished making pancake batter.  Thought I'd come here and say good morning :) 

Re: Hump Day

• Enjoy the kids sleeping in! Mine is currently still asleep too. He's usually up by 6:30 but we went to a Halloween event last night and he went to bed a little late so I guess he's sleeping in. Only problem is he ends up missing breakfast at school when he sleeps in but they usually have a snack for him so it is ok.
  • Sleeping babies are great! I too always wake up early (36 years of DH waking at 5:30). Currently I'm sitting at DD's house listening to GS2 "talk" to himself and hoping GS1 stays asleep for a little while longer. They've been having rough days the last two days. I know GS2 is teething a couple of molars and don't know what is going on with GS1. @missJeanLouise I think you are fine doing it Friday morning. I don't think I've ever baked a cake the day of any event. If you store it in a cake saver of cover it with plastic wrap it should be fine. Hope the party goes well. Hard to believe a year has gone by already.
  • I think you're fine to make the cake on Friday. 

My cold seems to be moving from my head to my chest now. Ugh. I just hope I'm better by Friday. It's our work volunteer day, and I've signed up for walking meal deliveries. 
  • Sorry friends... I left out words. I meant, can I Decorate it Friday morning? Or should I wait day of?

Fx you feel better Climbingwife!
  • Decorating it Friday should be fine. 
  • I’m still sick. I was in a day long training yesterday that was not great. So I feel behind on work and I’m still sick. It’s just a stupid cold but man does that suck. 
  • I'm mid ragestroke because the most unhelpful update was implemented to our case management system and it's now going to make my job a frillion times harder.  I'm lighting fires over this shit because this is fucking stupid and I hope I can get them to change it back.   I often roll with system changes and adapt, but this is especially terrible and they didn't ask for input before deciding it needed to be done.  

Me rn:

Image result for office space gif printer

Other than that, SSDD.  
  • @short+sassy, I went somewhere and my chicken salad or tuna salad or something was loaded up with sugar.  I couldn’t even eat it! They got a bad review and no more service from us!

everyone who is sick - stay away from me!

i said I wasn't going onto work because of the cougher but I ended up going into work.  I will be pissed if he’s passing this around.  Apparently he’s a contractor and nope - can’t work from home like we can.

besides craigslist anyone know where I can sell my extra halloween ball ticket in Salem this year?  It’s a sold out event so someone may want to go.  Craigslist has been a dud.  And marketplace on FB doesn’t offer up events.  My friend can’t make it (even though i predicted she would when she bailed on me in gettysburg) and I told her I would try to sell before I made her pay. 

• @CharmedPam Have you tried stubhub/seatgeek/ticketmaster resale? We use those to buy and sell tickets for sporting events, but I know they have concerts and shows. Or is there an event page for the event on FB? You may be able to do a direct sell in the comments. (Although I would tell the friend it's her responsibility to do all this leg work. She bailed even after she said she wouldn't.) 

I'm really struggling today. I just can't seem to get myself interested in work. The projects I have right now are just not challenging. I know I'll have more interesting things to do in the next week or so and I really should clear out some of this boring busy work while I have time, but I just don't want to. I'd rather screw around on the internet and play with the dog. Maybe it will add a challenge if I wait until the last second and do these boring things on a deadline. 
  • Feel better @charlotte989875 and @climbingwife

I would be annoyed too @short+sassy

I hope they change it back @mrsconn23.  They constantly roll out new charting/computer changes at work that make our lives so much harder. 99% of the time the changes are absolutely redundant and just result in double and triple charting. It drives me insane. 

SSDD for me. I had a friend text me to see if I am free tomorrow and I really want to say no but she’s been struggling a lot lately and I still want to be there for her. I just don’t want to go anywhere and she lives an hour and a half away. Ugh. 

• @CharmedPam check if there is a Facebook page for the event its self or if there are other B/s/t groups in your area, separate from marketplace.

MrsConn. I am sorry they did that to you. That blows.
  • @charmedpam I'm confused on FB marketplace, is it not letting you list the ticket for sale? I would think you could and just put the zip code of Salem as your area and that someone has to paypal you or whatever
  • MJL - I often pre-bake my cakes and freeze them.  Decorate them frozen (it can be easier to work with the icing on a frozen cake!) and then keep them in the fridge.  I will usually bring the cake out of the fridge in the morning, if its a huge cake, or an hour before the party starts, so it can reach room temp by serving time.  But if its a normal sized cake and you have one of those air tight cake containers, if you decorated Friday morning, it should stay good in there.  Being where you are though, it is really hot now, I would probably keep in fridge until party day.

DD had to be picked up from daycare yesterday.  She was running a fever.  She tested negative for the rapid strep test, but they also sent one out.  So the Dr thinks its just a viral infection, so she is out today and tomorrow.  H and I are both busy today, thankfully, my niece was off for the Jewish holiday.  So I picked her up last night to stay with DD today.  DD was so happy to see Little Mom!

I had dinner with old work friends yesterday and even though a year passed since we saw everyone, it was like no time passed and we all just picked back up.  I also had chicken and waffles - yum!  Tonight is yoga after work.  
  • @CharmedPam Have you tried stubhub/seatgeek/ticketmaster resale? We use those to buy and sell tickets for sporting events, but I know they have concerts and shows. Or is there an event page for the event on FB? You may be able to do a direct sell in the comments. (Although I would tell the friend it's her responsibility to do all this leg work. She bailed even after she said she wouldn't.) 

I'm really struggling today. I just can't seem to get myself interested in work. The projects I have right now are just not challenging. I know I'll have more interesting things to do in the next week or so and I really should clear out some of this boring busy work while I have time, but I just don't want to. I'd rather screw around on the internet and play with the dog. Maybe it will add a challenge if I wait until the last second and do these boring things on a deadline. 
    I am Queen Procrastinator and this line pretty much describes my whole life, lol.

@CharmedPam, yes!  That is a danger of chicken and tuna salad.  And potato salad (especially potato salad).  A lot of places will make those items with tons of sugar.  I always try to qualify by asking, "Is your all's potato salad a sweet potato salad or a vinegary potato salad?"  I used to use the word "savory", but people seem to understand what I'm trying to say better with the word "vinegar".  I don't even ask when the potato salad is that weird neon-yellow color, lol.  That's always a sign of super sweet.

Worse case scenario on the ticket.  If you can't sell it ahead of time, you can probably easily sell it when you get to Salem in the days leading up to the ball.  But, pffttt!, she should pay you NOW and she can try to sell it ahead of time.  Then, if she can't and you're able to sell it in Salem, you can pay her back.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    @charmedpam I'm confused on FB marketplace, is it not letting you list the ticket for sale? I would think you could and just put the zip code of Salem as your area and that someone has to paypal you or whatever
    Yeah when I posted it they came at me and said it  violated their rules.  And I tried to post it in my Salem MA page too but fb caught that I was selling.
    so today I just posted “anyone else going to the ball?” In the group.  In the comments I casually dropped that I had an extra. 

• @ei34 mmmm peace :)

@missJeanLouise Friday is fine. I made BabyKitten's cake the night before and let it sit in the fridge - covered - and just iced/decorated it in the morning {I likely would have iced it the night before too but I didn't have a container I needed}

@climbingwife Urg colds suck :(

@mrsconn23 Urg! They always need to ask about changes! Especially system changes. Unless it's something that has to be done because of legal reasons.

So I had my G2 test today and failed :(
    I just knew I would. Short version of why I failed, I cannot maneuver the car properly. 2 big ones were the parallel parking and 3pt turn.

Guh .... just in a miserable mood.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2019
    Re: cake.  I always wondered when they made my wedding cake... like how many days before the event?

• @MissKittyDanger that stinks, what happens now? I cannot parallel park either. Even with backup camera and sensors I can only do it if there is a huge space and I'm usually like 20 feet away from the curb
  • @ei34 mmmm peace :)

@missJeanLouise Friday is fine. I made BabyKitten's cake the night before and let it sit in the fridge - covered - and just iced/decorated it in the morning {I likely would have iced it the night before too but I didn't have a container I needed}

@mrsconn23 Urg! They always need to ask about changes! Especially system changes. Unless it's something that has to be done because of legal reasons.

I just knew I would. Short version of why I failed, I cannot maneuver the car properly. 2 big ones were the parallel parking and 3pt turn.

I remember that struggle all too well. I spent hours and hours practicing between cones. 
  • I have a friend who lives in LA and she always laughs and laughs at me whenever we’re together and I try to parallel park. Half the time I get out of the car and let her do it for me. I learned how to parallel park in one try when I got my license and then after that I rarely used the skill and it’s a super easy one to lose. 

• levioosa said:
    I have a friend who lives in LA and she always laughs and laughs at me whenever we’re together and I try to parallel park. Half the time I get out of the car and let her do it for me. I learned how to parallel park in one try when I got my license and then after that I rarely used the skill and it’s a super easy one to lose. 
    year ago I dated someone in Chicago and when I'd go visit I'd just call and let him know I was there and he'd come out and parallel park my car bc they were tight spaces and I had no hope. 
  • I just picked up a stink bug that was crawling up my back door with a paper towel and squeezed it.  The paper towel was not closed all the way around the bug, so bug guts flew on to my arm.  I was on the phone with DH and started yelling and he was like, "WHAT?!"  

So yeah, my day has gotten much better.
  • Re: cake.  I always wondered when they made my wedding cake... like how many days before the event?
    Probably 3-4 days in advance, depending on the design.  Baked the first day, chilled and then started to put the crumb coat on either same day or next.  After that crumb coat, the cake inside is essentially sealed, so it will stay fresh!

I am the friend who can parallel park.  I often switch sides with people to do the parking.  My dad is from South Philly, so all parallel parking there.  To this day, I can parallel park anything.  There is something ingrained in my brain from the day my dad taught me to park.  While slowly backing up, to hear him yell "CUT THE WHEEL!", I just picked it up quick.  I even had a police officer comment on my parking skills while parking in a tight spot going for 4th of July fireworks!  H (BF at the time) didn't think I could make it - I said "I got this!".  I have also parallel parked a moving truck too.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2019
    @ei34 mmmm peace :)

I just knew I would. Short version of why I failed, I cannot maneuver the car properly. 2 big ones were the parallel parking and 3pt turn

I knew I wasn’t going to get my license in Canada.  I was 17 when i moved and I did try.  But couldn’t parallel.  I didn’t want to take drivers ed when i moved here.  But my counselor said I should.  Lo and behold - you don’t need to parallel when you take it through school! To this day I don’t.  I just find places with parking spots, valet or you know what?  All you have is parallel?  I don’t need to go here that bad. 

• I don't know what I would do if I couldn't parallel park. There are so many places that I go where it's literally the only option. Having to get someone else to park my car all the time would be such a hassle. 

I really think people get psyched out by it. If my dumb ass 16 year old self could do it in a manual, anyone can learn. It just seems hard. 
  • kvruns said:
    @MissKittyDanger that stinks, what happens now? I cannot parallel park either. Even with backup camera and sensors I can only do it if there is a huge space and I'm usually like 20 feet away from the curb
    I have to wait 24hrs before I can rebook.
    Depending on their schedules, I may wait until spring. I'm a nervous driver and don't wanna risk doing it in snow.
  • @MissKittyDanger, oh no!  I'm sorry to hear that.  Just practice more for the things you need work on and you'll get it next time!

I'm pretty decent with parallel parking, but would not quite call myself a "pro", lol.  I always think I have less room than I really do.  Which is at least a lot better than having the opposite problem!

I got a lot of practice at the last place I lived.  The parking wasn't terrible.  But there were no driveways or garages for both the double I was living in and the double next door.  So usually, if I wanted to park within half a block of my residence, I had to parallel park.  Plus I live in a medium-sized city anyway.  There are quite a few areas where parallel parking is a handy skill.

It's even better when I'm driving my MINI Cooper ;)!  My little gal can fit almost anywhere.  I love how tiny that car is.

My driving test (I think dinosaurs were still around, lol) did not require parallel parking.  But you had to be able to back-up in a straight line, alongside a curb.  I tried it three times and the instructor said after the third try something like, "That's close enough.  I'll give it to you."
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I took driving lessons when I was 16 before I took my road test. The instructor taught me how to parallel park, and it was the best thing ever. He actually had a stamp on the rear driver side window, and he used that to teach you how to line things up. I do have to parallel park often, so I thankfully never lost the skill. It's like second nature now.