Wedding Woes

Good Mornin' MONDAY

I'll start it early today

Re: Good Mornin' MONDAY

• How is it Monday already??

Had a great weekend. Friday we went to an NYCWFF event - tacos & tequila. Was so, so much fun. I ate and drank everything. 

Saturday I went to a winery with my girlfriends. After that, we came back to my house and had a bonfire with a bunch of neighbors. I'm still recovering. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited October 2019
    And Happy Thanksgiving/Columbus Day!  Sounds like a fun weekend @climbingwife.  Nothing like fall bonfires. 

weekend was Ok.  H and I saw “Addams family” which was ok. Nothing phenomenal. I fell asleep through some of it.  I think. 

Saturday my friend picked me up from my doc appt and we went to my place.  Conversation got to our old job at Marshalls and we talked about an old friend we met there who was still probably working there. We hung out with him every weekend back in the day.  Road trips, dinners, get-togethers. But then it dropped. I said “you know what? He was posting a lot on FB and I can’t remember a post from him in awhile”. i went to see if he deactivated his page. No. He passed away last year 😞 From a stroke we found out later.  43 years young and seemed to be in good health? It’s just awful.  He was a great and funny guy.  We may have to do a toast for him on Dec 1st.

i also ordered some heel protectors for my flats (already got bad blisters) and I saw they came from amazon at 4 on Sat.  I left the house at midnight and they weren’t there.  I was like “some sucker is going to be piiiiiiised when they open up the $6 heel protector package they stole”.  Then today H texted me “found a package in the bush”.  I LOOKED around the grass and bushes before declaring it stolen!

eta words

• @charmedpam that is sad to learn about your old friend, way too young. 

@VarunaTT glad things are getting better with K and they are back on meds that can help.
  • I’m off today and trying to will myself to get outside for a run. I’m still not 100% after fighting a cold all week. I know I’ll feel better if I just get up and run a little, but coffee and puppy snuggles are stronger than my will to run. 

I desperately need a hair cut and color but I’m also too lazy to do that. 
  • My college homecoming this weekend was like a ghost town. It was fewer people than I have seen at one in the past and then my class had a reunion year (15 year) and I only saw my friend who was meeting me there. I think we are at the age of people having older kids in sports or school age kids who are on fall break so it was not much of a showing from my class. 

Yesterday was a beautiful fall day although we didn't really do anything. After being gone most of the day Saturday I just needed to chill. We did do a cheap and easy Halloween decorating project which was cute. You cut up a cheap $1 halloween pumpkin bucket and put it over outdoor coach lights. Our lights don't heat up since they are LED so no fire hazard (hopefully...)
  •  VarunaTT said:
    Morning.  My FB post 2 years ago was, "I'm not ready for Monday."  Still not.

I have such mixed feelings with fall weather.  On the one hand, I love the change in the season and the weather.  This also seems to be when my seasonal depression starts to act up.  It's where I started leaving my marriage.  The memories are starting to lessen in intensity, which is good.  I can still get pretty negative about the everything, but it's short lived.  K and I are hopefully getting to the end of a rough patch.  TL;DR:  they take a lot of medication to deal with their mental health and they went off of them.  They are back on them, but it was rough.

I had a great weekend.  The mini golf course at the museum was awesome and the show was great.  It's such an experience to hug someone that you've known for 20+ years, but only stayed in contact through social media.  It was partly surreal and partly joyous.  Visiting my friend who is fully back on her feet after a very painful divorce was so great.  I'm so proud of her and what she's done for herself.
    That’s all tough @VarunaTT; I’m glad you all are getting to the end of a rough patch, it’s really too bad it’s lining up with the seasonal toughness, too. 
  • Varuna - Hugs to you.  Take care of yourself!  Glad you and K are getting over the rough patch.

Charmed - That is so sad!  

We ended up having a pretty great weekend.  Saturday H and I fixed the steps that we made last week, so that they sat more level on the ground, while DD played in the backyard.  We then did church, dinner out and bulk shopping at BJs. 

Sunday, DD and I went to get breakfast at Ray's Boozy Cupcakes.  Please look up this store, there have been stories on the local and national news.  He is a 93 year old WWII veteran who decided to open his own boozy cupcake shop!  We also got some donuts and danish.  Donuts and danish were for breakfast and non-alcoholic.  H and DD went over to MILs for a bit.  I stayed home to relax and then I got to work fixing the screen door from Cassie running through it.  H got home just in time to help me hold the new screen taut for me.  We had an early dinner, then headed over to Jack's Pumpkin Glow over in Philly.  It was amazing!  5000 pumpkins, 4k of them real!  The carving was top notch and so many different designs!  DD was loving every second!  Once home, it was bed for DD.  Then it was a nice bath and boozy cupcakes with H!  We had Apple Brandy, Peach Schnapps (my fav), Tequila Sunrise (Hs fav) and Sex on the Beach.  While the cupcakes are on the smaller size, we will definitely be going back!
  • Glad things are going in the right direction @VarunaTT
    @MyNameIsNot, fun stuff!  House buying.  Shorter commute is just icing on the cake!
    @OliveOilsMom, saw pics of those cupcakes and they do look smaller than the average ones sold - which is great for me actually.   
    @mrsconn23, was it the trilogy playing on freeform Saturday? I saw most of it.  And yeeeees so campy.  I kept on picturing clips from “scary movie”.  It was so easy to parody that series! 

• That's a sad @CharmedPam, and what a way to find out.  Sending good vibes to your mom and all of you @mrsconn23

Schools are closed today...brought the kids to a fall festival nearby, they've been asking for farm animals and a tractor ride, and then we walked through the botanic garden.  All very local, but fun.  They must've had enough fun they're playing nicely right now while I get started on the Columbus Day feast. One of my sisters and I take turns hosting it...I'm keeping the menu very simple (chicken parm, pasta with a pink sauce and rosemary focaccia) but wanted to get it going nonetheless.

• @mrsconn23, was it the trilogy playing on freeform Saturday? I saw most of it.  And yeeeees so campy.  I kept on picturing clips from “scary movie”.  It was so easy to parody that series! 
    The trilogy is on Netflix.  We just watched the first one Saturday night.  :) 
  • Columbus Day is always great for me- my office is open but all my clients are closed, and traffic is a breeze, great for focus. 
  • Columbus Day is always great for me- my office is open but all my clients are closed, and traffic is a breeze, great for focus. 
    that sounds like a perfect work day!
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    edited October 2019
    Columbus Day is always great for me- my office is open but all my clients are closed, and traffic is a breeze, great for focus. 
    I was expecting traffic to be lighter, but it wasn't :(.  Apparently, all/most of the schools are open today.  Oh well.

Overall, I had a really good weekend.  A lot of relaxation.  But, other than that, there is so much extra aggravation in my world right now (sigh).  With my work.  With some of my tenants.  With our reno taking too long.  It's beating me down!  I just keep telling myself "it will all work out in the end".  And it will.  But, in the meantime, I am just so tired of all of it.

To end on a more positive night.  I picked up my free cruise certificate from Harrahs on Fri.  It's at least a better deal than I was expecting and from what the customer service led me to believe.  It's a 7-day cruise and I can choose from a number of itineraries and dates.  Customer service made it sound like I wouldn't have choices, so I'm especially glad that was wrong.

Unfortunately, only one of the itinerary choices leaves out of the Port of NOLA.  It stops in Cozumel, Costa Maya (Mexico), Harvest Caye (Belize), and Roatan Bay Islands (Honduras).  I've been to both of the ports in Mexico before on a different cruise and wasn't that impressed with either one.  So those are both (insert raspberry sound).  But I've never been anywhere in Belize or Honduras, so I'm excited to check out those ports!

And here's the other bummer.  The "free" part of the cruise does NOT include the dockage/port fees (whatever they call those) or the taxes.  Those will be around $300/person.  Of course, still a fantastic deal!  So now I just need to figure out what I'm doing and get my reservation done.

Edited to add:  Some of their cruises leave out of NYC and Boston.  Or across the Atlantic in Barcelona!  I briefly flirted with the idea of using that as an excuse to leave out of one of those cities and spend a few bonus days before the cruise.  But then I'd be adding a LOT of cost...flight and hotel stay...to my free cruise.  So I'm being a "good girl" and will be leaving out of the port I only need a short taxi ride to get to.  Welllll...probably, lol.  

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • S+S so $600 for both of you to go on a 7 day cruise with no travel costs? Sign me up!! Hope that can be a good way to celebrate getting through the stressors with work and renos
  • Very good deal S&S!  What cruise line?  On the ports you’re not happy with/been to - stay on the ship!!

only downside with celebrity and port days - the bars and restaurants/main dining room is closed.  Just the buffet and buffet bar is open.  Still - you’ll get a lounge chair by the pool!

• Very good deal S&S!  What cruise line?  On the ports you’re not happy with/been to - stay on the ship!!

only downside with celebrity and port days - the bars and restaurants/main dining room is closed.  Just the buffet and buffet bar is open.  Still - you’ll get a lounge chair by the pool!
    It's Norwegian.  For "meh" ports, I'd probably still go into the port.  It could be salvageable if there is a good excursion to take.  For Cozumel on the last cruise I went on, I did an excursion that took us to the aquarium.  They have an area where you can take turns swimming with dolphins.

Norwegian also has a thing where you can choose one of five upgrades for free.  I was excited one of the choices was an unlimited bar.  But then I read the fine print ;).  They list it as a $1400 "value".  It has a mandatory 20% gratuity that has to be paid up front.  Sounds like a ripoff and I need to find out more about it.

For example, if it's 20% of what they claim the value is, then it's $280.  Pffft!  My guest and I would need to be knocking back 7-10 drinks/day EACH (depending on their drink prices) to hit their $1400 "value", ie $200/day!  Plus, I hate to sound cynical, but I wouldn't be surprised if only a portion of that money actually goes to the staff as tips.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • $1400 drink value? holy moly that would be a lot of drinks!
  • I know with carnival and celebrity we paid gratuity on what was consumed.   Not the value!  definitely look into that!  We always get the free pkg with celebrity. Both times we’ve gone I mean 😀 

• I know with carnival and celebrity we paid gratuity on what was consumed.   Not the value!  definitely look into that!  We always get the free pkg with celebrity. Both times we’ve gone I mean 😀 
    You gave me hope.  But I just called Norwegian and they dashed it.  Jerks!

That is EXACTLY what they do.  Charge a 20% gratuity on the $1400 "value".  And none of it is credited back.  Even if far less than $1400 in alcohol is consumed.

I was nice to the CSR guy.  Because I know it isn't his fault.  I even said that to him.  But I did express that I found that to be a really crappy policy and it is Norwegian taking advantage of its customers.  Because there are very few people who are going to be slugging back that much alcohol.  Even on a cruise.

At any rate, I told him I have no issue with paying a 20% gratuity.  But it's putting a bad taste in my mouth that I'll need to pay that gratuity for a whole bunch of dollar value that I won't be using.  He at least understood where I was coming from.  Oh well.  It's still the best option from their choices.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Can you just choose no “free” item? 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited October 2019
    That is just so weird to me!  That’s a lot of money for something that is “free”.  Celebrity definitely doesn't do that for their free pkg.  i would have known.  Carnivals bottomless bubble pkg is 20% of like $250 or something?  I forgot what we paid.  Shame on Norwegian! 

edit:  for what it’s worth I drank nothing but alcohol on my 7 day cruise.  It’s no easy task - but it can be done.

”what is this !? Water?  Does it look like I want water?!?”

• kvruns said:
    Can you just choose no “free” item? 
    I could!  There are other choices that don't have any additional fee.  I'd probably still pick this one because even the overinflated tip amount is less than I'd spend on drinks if I was paying full price for them.

I should have specifically asked this question, but it also sounded like...if only one person in the party is going to be using the unlimited drinks...the other person can "opt out" and then the 20% gratuity would be based on $700, instead of $1400.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker