Wedding Woes

WEDNESDAY before Halloween

I keep forgetting Halloween is tomorrow. Need to remember to grab my costume. Work cancelled our cube or treating and costume contest but said people can still dress up. I have a feeling I will be the only one dressed up but I bought a costume 6 weeks ago and I'm not letting it go to waste. 

Re: WEDNESDAY before Halloween

• Tonight is what we call "gate night" in my area. Although I'm not sure it's a thing? Haven't seen any toilet papered trees in our neighborhood in quite a while. 

We're having a Halloween party and costume contest at work tomorrow. We're dressing up at nuns in my department, and a vendor is bringing in a catered lunch. Should be a fun day. Well, except for when I have a meeting, and I'll be in my nun costume. 
  • @kvruns why did they cancel? :(
    I miss working in a mall for the dress up/trick or treating. I worked in a restaurant in a mall for awhile and one year we decorated and had sooooo many kids come in!

BabyKitten is somewhat dressed up. We did a makeshift Little Red Riding hood today, mainly because we're going to my mum's tonight to show her off lol
    It's basically just a plaid skirt, white top and tights with a red hooded sweater. She adores a little white basket at daycare, so it works lol
    Next year we'll get her a better costume since she will be doing a few houses.

Side note, I ended up not going to bed until 11pm last night :( I was so exhausted but BabyKitten would not stop. We tried so much and just gave up, to let her burn whatever pent up energy she had. Urgg ....
  • I was told it was cancelled because there hasn't been a lot of participation lately and only one department does a group costume anymore so it didn't make sense to do the contest. I think that is lame because they did contest for single costumes too and honestly no one cares about winning a prize so they could have cancelled that part but still said come dress up and trick or treat at desks.

We are going through a lot of transition in the office and unfortunately it isn't getting any better when they keep taking away fun stuff like this that made this a place you wanted to work over more stuffy type jobs. 
  • My work is having a costume contest tomorrow, but I work from home now so am hemming and hawing about dressing up.  On one hand, no one will see it.  On the other hand, I can wear a ridiculously awesome costume (I'm thinking full armour suit) that I normally wouldn't be able to wear if I had to drive in it.

• Our first selectman postponed Halloween until Saturday.   It's getting a lot of mixed reviews and I myself have mixed feelings.   The weather's supposed to be atrocious.  The rain should be bad along with winds that can be over 40 MPH.  Luckily the kids will still have fun and maybe we'll carve pumpkins instead. 
  • @kerbohl please post pictures if you're working from home in armor! Maybe it can be your new Thursday outfit every week. 

@banana468 I was wondering if they would do that here too. I only remember once or twice as a kid Halloween being moved. We are going to have cold and rain with possible snow flurries so I'm not taking B out. I feel bad for older kids who are excited to go 
  • The office is having our Halloween party today.  I can't wait to see pics.  They do a costume and pumpkin decorating contest. 

There are communities already starting to move ToT to Friday around here since it's supposed to rain clear through 3pm tomorrow and then the rain will change over to snow.  We were going to go to my sister's for ToT, but we may just go over to FIL's neighborhood and drive DefConn around instead.  If ToT is moved to Friday, IDK what we'll do.  

This weather has me so blah.  It's gross and I'm tired.  I need to go to bed earlier too.  

I am excited to start thinking about Christmas.  I can't wait to decorate the house and make all the goodies I make during the holidays.  And I love buying and giving gifts.  
  • Our office doesn't do contests, but gives a free lunch coupon for our cafeteria if you dress up.  I'm not big on Halloween, but I'll put in minimal effort for a free lunch :)  We don't get a ton of trick or treaters at our house but always buy candy just in case - definitely don't hate the leftovers!  Hope everyone else has a good Halloween!

Work is insane and hormones are making my temper very short.  Very excited for this week to be over. 
  • I'd dress up too for free lunch @casadena

@mrsconn23 I wondered if any would move ToT or not. I haven't seen anything for here although I'd be OK with it since I dont want to be stuck with a bunch of candy at home because no one came by 
  • Ugh postponing Halloween is bullshit. If it rains, ya get wet. If it’s the apocalypse sorry you don’t get to trick or treat this year. 
  • That sounds really promising @levioosa!!

Im tired and cranky today. I woke up at 3 and could not go back to sleep so I’m dragging hard today. I was thinking about work, which is super not helpful. 

I’m excited for tomorrow. We do a costume contest and I’m dressing up as Rosie the Riveter! 
    I have always loved the Rosie the Riveter iconic poster!  I have a tin sign of it.

Really showing my age here, lol.  But back when MtV actually had music videos (does MtV even exist anymore? lol), Pat Benatar's music video for "Shadows of the Night" had a Rosie the Riveter feel to it.

In the video, Pat was working at a factory during WWII and stopped for a moment to daydream.  In her daydream, she was a fighter pilot on a secret mission to bomb a Nazi headquarters.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh postponing Halloween is bullshit. If it rains, ya get wet. If it’s the apocalypse sorry you don’t get to trick or treat this year. 
    I get both sides of this. 

-This isn't a town event and the town doesn't get a say.  Halloween has always been the 31st.    It's not up to anyone to move it.

-It's not the rain that's a problem tomorrow.   We're due for gusts of over 40 MPH that can make it less safe to walk and that takes trees down.  

If a group of grown ups agree to pass out some candies on the 2nd then what's the harm?  Kids get some free candy, they get to dress up and they do it on a night that's supposed to be safer.  

They did this 7 years ago when Sandy hit and 8 years ago many towns did it when the freak snow storm hit.   In both cases people had no power and there were trees and power lines down.

Sure you can tell kids that they don't get candy this year but is that the line that we've drawn?
  • banana468 said:
    Ugh postponing Halloween is bullshit. If it rains, ya get wet. If it’s the apocalypse sorry you don’t get to trick or treat this year. 

-This isn't a town event and the town doesn't get a say.  Halloween has always been the 31st.    It's not up to anyone to move it.

-It's not the rain that's a problem tomorrow.   We're due for gusts of over 40 MPH that can make it less safe to walk and that takes trees down.  

If a group of grown ups agree to pass out some candies on the 2nd then what's the harm?  Kids get some free candy, they get to dress up and they do it on a night that's supposed to be safer.  

They did this 7 years ago when Sandy hit and 8 years ago many towns did it when the freak snow storm hit.   In both cases people had no power and there were trees and power lines down.

Sure you can tell kids that they don't get candy this year but is that the line that we've drawn?
    If there's a genuine safety hazard {black ice; freezing rain; wind strong enough to take a tree down} then yeh, I think moving it should be an option.

If it's just bad rain or snow, meh. You either tough it out with proper gear or you don't go.
  • I used to love Halloween.  But just haven't been able to get into it anymore :(.  I saved this week's 911 tv episode on my DVR to watch on Halloween, because that is it's theme this week.  That is literally how boring I am, lol.  We don't dress up at work and no kids ever come to our house, so it's really just another day for me.

I was feeling kinda crappy yesterday and didn't come into work.  I'm feeling better today, except I didn't get nearly enough sleep!  I went back to bed after I sent my "I'm sick" e-mail to my boss.  Then took a nap in the afternoon also.  Which meant I then couldn't get to sleep until 2AM last night, lol.  Ugh!

However, I did run a few errands yesterday.  Check out this rudeness!  I went to a Winn Dixie (grocery store chain) that I don't normally go to, in order to pick up a few things they had on special.  But mainly to (finally!) get my flu shot and they have a free $10 in produce offer, when you get one.

I can't find their pharmacy, so I ask the security guard at the front of the store.  He's confused and tells me they don't have one.  And then "adds" that WD is more of a grocery store, so I should probably check a pharmacy.  Uuuhhhh.  Apparently he doesn't realize that the vast majority of WDs have pharmacies.  He then tells me it's "just as well, because I really shouldn't get a flu shot anyway."

What a super odd thing to say.  So I ask "why".  He proceeds to say something like "do you know what a flu shot is?  the shot has the flu in it, so you shouldn't get one because it can actually make you sick."  I am pretty much floored.  Cannot believe some rando guy, who I'm assuming doesn't work in the medical field, actually has the gall to be giving me medical advice.  All righty then.

I replied back, with a touch of snarky that I don't think he caught, "Yes.  I understand how vaccines work.  I'm knowledgeable about flu shots.  I get one every year.  And wouldn't have it any other way."  Cue eyeroll.  I then turn and leave without giving him a chance to respond because I know I'm PO'ed and just want to leave the situation.

What I wish I had said, but didn't think of it until later, was a simpler, "Well, I value my doctor's opinion over yours."  Same eyeroll and flouncing away.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Ugh postponing Halloween is bullshit. If it rains, ya get wet. If it’s the apocalypse sorry you don’t get to trick or treat this year. 

If there's a genuine safety hazard {black ice; freezing rain; wind strong enough to take a tree down} then yeh, I think moving it should be an option.

If it's just bad rain or snow, meh. You either tough it out with proper gear or you don't go.
    It does sound crazy to me for cities and such to encourage moving ToT.  But then I have to remember that I grew up in So. CA.  Where "bad" Halloween weather was if it was lightly drizzling, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Some towns around us have moved ToTing already.  My town has not.  We are just getting off and on rain, so I don't think it should be postponed this year.  We are going to be getting the gusty winds that Banana is forecasted for, but it won't hit us until later on Thursday - when ToTing is done.  So in my immediate area, I don't think there should be a postponement, but other areas, I totally understand the postponement.

Tonight is the start of our next series in yoga.  I am so overdue for it!  I always say I will do yoga at home by myself, but I have gotten really bad at doing that.  
  • I don't really have an opinion on the ToTing stuff, but I do know that the cold shelters for our homeless populations are opening for their winter hours tomorrow night b/c of the weather, so yeah, maybe moving it so little fingers and toes belonging to small humans with no impulse control, can be done so that everyone still enjoys their evenings (big humans and small humans).  Turn on/off lights as you see fit to participate, I guess.

We're getting plans solidified to go out of town this weekend for K's Christmas present -- tickets to one of their favorite pop musicians and a meet and greet.  Only Ticketmaster has sent me NOTHING on times, etc, so I emailed them today.  Little irritating.

@mrsconn23, you like podcasts and you're watching Watchmen, right?  I'm really enjoying the Watchmen podcast from Shat on TV.  It's not a scene by scene analysis, but rather the history of themes.  So, they have talked about the movie/comic book, but also the Tulsa Massacre, and how Rorschach's writings became a touchstone of white supremacy in the show.  Really interesting and well done, so far.  I'm getting ready to listen to episode 2.

Nothing much else to report.  SSDD in all the things.
  • So there's talk of moving ToT to the 2nd for weather since there is a special weather statement that's suppose to last until at some point on Friday.
    Despite that we living Canada, it's surprisingly never been bad enough on Hallowe'en to entertain the idea of moving it. We've had snow and rain, but not to this degree.

We were gonna stop at my mum's place tonight but apparently she has friggen plans ... guh, we'd talked about this!
    Whatever. I didn't wanna stay at her place long anyways. Stinky baby needs a bath lol
  • S&S - I totally remember that Pat Benatar video too! 

We also always TOT'ed regardless of the weather. If it rained, we had umbrellas. When it was cold, we had to wear our winter jackets over our costumes. 

I do remember TOT'ing being canceled back in 2011 when we had a freak snowstorm in October right before Halloween. And that was definitely due to safety as there were many trees and wires down. 
  • S&S - I totally remember that Pat Benatar video too! 

We also always TOT'ed regardless of the weather. If it rained, we had umbrellas. When it was cold, we had to wear our winter jackets over our costumes. 

I do remember TOT'ing being canceled back in 2011 when we had a freak snowstorm in October right before Halloween. And that was definitely due to safety as there were many trees and wires down. 
    I used to have a VHS tape with that video and two of her other ones.

VHS (sigh).  Showing my age again, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am in a Chicago suburb.  Two neighboring suburbs have postponed T or T-ing until Saturday.  The general consensus is......don't.  Parents can choose to take their kids or not, but Halloween is Halloween.  Several years ago, we had many towns designate the weekend before Halloween as the official T or T day.  Guess what?  This past Saturday was a day long drench fest.....not fit for man or beast.  That day was neither cancelled or postponed.  We have had snow before.  We have had rain before, too.  Honestly, I much prefer T or T-ing in snow over pouring rain. 
  • Some of your places of employment sound fun! Enjoy your Halloween festivities!
    That's nuts about the security guard @short+sassy sounds promising @levioosa!

ToT isn't being postponed by me despite the forecast.  We also went regardless of the weather growing up. That said the decision to move ToT due to weather doesn't bother me.  Kids these days have their hands full.  My kids had an active shooter drill today...they're still young enough to embrace playing hide and seek with the principal but if something as simple as ToT and some candy brings joy, and there's a nicer day to do it, why not? 
  • I think the ToT thing is sure if the kids are in danger (big storms, things are closed, Sandy, freak icy storms in areas not prepared for them) then yes postpone/reschedule. But we live in Buffalo, and in late October it can be snowy, or icy, or it could be beautiful. And there is no guarantee the reschedule day would actually be any different. If some parents want to get together and do a different day? Great! I'm all for kids staying kids and getting candy as long as possible!

Maybe I'm a grumpy adult but if my town changed it to today, or even the next day, I'm probably not going to because today I would not have been prepared (I'm a pick up candy on the way home kind of prepared) and I've already got other plans. I like to be a good neighbor and pass out candy, and I really do like seeing the kids so excited, but unless it's a truly freak weather event, I don't really get the up in arms reaction about some unfortunate weather.