Wedding Woes

Seek out smaller rescues? Look for a dog in another area?

Dear Prudence,

At the beginning of the year, our 14-year-old dog died. We finally felt ready to start looking for a new dog, and going through either a breeder or pet shop is out of the question. We want to adopt a dog from a shelter. The issue is that there’s one large no-kill animal shelter in our area, and the person who runs it has very loud, hateful political views that are anathema to us. He’s even made the local news over the last few years for some of his political stunts. Should we consider those available dogs while we are looking? It’s not the dogs’ fault that they’re currently being housed by this organization, but on the other hand, I’m loath to give this person any of our money or support. What should we do?

—Awful Dog-Lover

Re: Seek out smaller rescues? Look for a dog in another area?

• I’d start checking the kill shelters and smaller foster organizations. I know you don’t want to “support” shelters that euthanize pets but that is where you can do a lot of good for the animals. Also, expand your search area; maybe you have to drive further to pick up the pet but then you’ll be sure you’re supporting organizations whose values align with yours. 
  • I think you’re being a bit precious here. Adopting from a shelter isn’t personally enriching this man if it is a legitimate non-profit organization. But if it annoys you that much get a dog from a rescue or literally any other shelter and move on. 

On the whole I think this person is looking to make life difficult. 
    Yep.  The 'wokeness' seems performative. 
  • LW shouldn't rule out that shelter. Shelter =/= person. They're separate and granted yes, person should understand what they do affects how people see the company.

But if LW wants to look at other shelters, start with the kill ones to prevent at least one from being euthanized.
  • What is the LW hoping to do here?  If the shelter does good things then get a dog.   If not, don't. 
  • It's not the dog's fault! Jeez. If I wanted to adopt another dog, and the shelter in our area was run by a Trump support, I'd still adopt a dog from there. I can hate the owner's beliefs/political stunts, but still appreciate that he runs a dog shelter. 
    this is where I'm at. You want to do an honorable thing and rescue a dog. The dog isn't going to be some sort of symbol of hatred and opposing political views. It's a shelter with dogs that need homes. End of story. 
  • I'm also not seeing the correlation between the manager's views and adopting an animal that needs a home.  Sure, if this was a "for-profit" business I could understand the LW's POV.  But I'm assuming it's not.  They call it a shelter.

But, at the end of the day, WHY is this a Prudie letter?  Unfortunately, there is no shortage of animals to adopt and many places that adopt them out.  Or open up Craig's List or FB.  Lots of people out there who found a dog or need to re-home their dog and are looking for people to take these animals in.

On a personal tangent, I'm sure many of you remember that my own kitty girl Nip needed to be put down last month.  I'm not sure if I'm quite ready for another cat yet, but I have started to think about it.  I talked to my H about it last night and he said he doesn't want a cat right now and isn't sure when he would want one.

We both want another Manx or Manx-mix.  Nip was a Manx and she was such an awesome cat that now we are heavily influenced, lol.  I'm open to other breeds, but he doesn't appear to be.  At any rate, I set up a "search" on Petfinder for Manx kittens.  Partially to get a feel for how often this breed pops up and partially just to get some feelers out there.  Even if we aren't actively looking.

I've also always liked the way Scottish Fold cats look.  This breed tends to have really round heads with big eyes.  And the roundness of their head is extra emphasized because their ears usually lay flat (folded) against it.  Hence their name, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In my area there are four animal shelters that I regularly check for rabbits (I'm not adopting right now, but I like to torture myself and look and wish I had room for more rabbits).  My area can't be an outlier - surely there are lots of shelters within a reasonable distance that they can try?  Or maybe LW doesn't have access to a car and therefore is limited to what areas they can go to?

• kerbohl said:
    In my area there are four animal shelters that I regularly check for rabbits (I'm not adopting right now, but I like to torture myself and look and wish I had room for more rabbits).  My area can't be an outlier - surely there are lots of shelters within a reasonable distance that they can try?  Or maybe LW doesn't have access to a car and therefore is limited to what areas they can go to?
    I also feel like surely there are pieces we are missing with this letter.  The LW not having a car is an interesting possibility.

I like your use of the word "torture", lol.  I've been torturing myself for a long time with a Petfinder alert for French Bulldogs.  There is something about that breed that I find so darn cute!  Plus a full grown Frenchie is about the same size as our dog, Izzy (who loves to play with other dogs).  They would be the perfect little sizes together.  But my H has been a hard no for a second dog.  Never even a budge.  I keep my eye out anyway, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kerbohl said:
    In my area there are four animal shelters that I regularly check for rabbits (I'm not adopting right now, but I like to torture myself and look and wish I had room for more rabbits).  My area can't be an outlier - surely there are lots of shelters within a reasonable distance that they can try?  Or maybe LW doesn't have access to a car and therefore is limited to what areas they can go to?
    I also feel like surely there are pieces we are missing with this letter.  The LW not having a car is an interesting possibility.

I like your use of the word "torture", lol.  I've been torturing myself for a long time with a Petfinder alert for French Bulldogs.  There is something about that breed that I find so darn cute!  Plus a full grown Frenchie is about the same size as our dog, Izzy (who loves to play with other dogs).  They would be the perfect little sizes together.  But my H has been a hard no for a second dog.  Never even a budge.  I keep my eye out anyway, lol.
    Hehe, same here!  Rabbits are the usual thing I look for, but I also look at the dogs available to see if any would be a good match as a companion for my dog.  But we'll probably never get a second dog.