Wedding Woes

Thursday?

One day closer to Friday.  DH and I are going to a live podcast show tomorrow.  

Dh and DefConn have a pack meeting tonight.  Yay for couch time.  I need to catch up on This Is Us.  And sleep would be nice to catch up on as well. ;) 

Reading through Prudie now.  :D 

Re: Thursday?

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2019
    One day closer, but it ain’t.

anyone watch CMA’s last night?  It was a good show. I actually purchased the Ashley McBryde album after she won.  Love her.  And love Kasey Musgraves.  Is it just me or does Maren Morris look snotty?  She’s probably not. Just looks like it.  

That’s all I got.  Tired AF. Coughing all night kept me up.  Go away cough. I’ve had it since October 28th.  I did my time. 

• Maren's just got that kind of face.  I saw her live with Sam Hunt a few years ago.  She's teensy tiny.  She does need to lay off the fillers, because her giant pout doesn't help her resting look.  ;) 

I love Kacey Musgraves too.  Her and Willie singing Rainbow Connection was just the best.  
  • I have a cold I can't shake and it's annoying.   Hey kids - I love you and I am thankful for you but could you please not cough in my face?   

It's flu shot night for Chiquita and Chiquito and then we are probably going to try to see what the new Costco in town is like.   It opens today, we have a membership and I am SO EXCITED that we have this in town.

You'd think that by putting in a Costco though that the town opted to burn down the Amazon rainforest to build a puppy mill based on some of the responses seen.   It'll be interesting to see how many of the anti-Costco residents find out that it's actually rather convenient to shop there.
  • I’m epically tired today for no reason. Went to bed early, slept in until 6. No reason just tired. 

Can’t wait for the weekend. Seeing Jersey Boys tomorrow with my Mom, aunts, cousins! Super excited and I’ve never seen it before so really looking forward to it! Other than that not much planned for the weekend. 
  • BabyKitten was just not having it last night. She went to bed fine, but at 1:30am she was up and every time I went to put her down, she would sob. It was likely for attention and didn't wanna go to sleep, but she got automatically riled up and would quickly turn into hyperventilating.
    Needless to say I was up with her until 4am, and even when I put her down 95% asleep, she still cried for maybe 30 seconds before passing out.

I was so proud of her and I though. She was going into the crib mostly awake and falling asleep at night.

Woke up late and with a damn headache :( If we weren't short staffed today, I probably would have called in sick and slept more. Headache is likely from being tired :\  I'm also freezing. Which is also likely due to being tired.

M got job 1! He's got a 2nd interview today from job 2 and wants to just interview there before officially confirming the position offered.
  • I am doing some more job stuff today, then nails and gym. I can’t wait for my nails. It’s been forever. 

I feel you on the open enrollment stuff @charlotte989875. I have to ask HR for the new job about it today. The way the manual was written is ambiguous and I can’t tell if I’ll get coverage Jan 1 (if I start on the 25th of this month), or if my coverage begins 90 days after I start working. But I need to know because it determines whether or not I apply for Covered CA next year. And my premium was supposed to go up to almost $500/mo with Covered CA In the new year which is more than I can afford. Ugh. 

• Also I’m trying to do my open enrollment and our system (Workday for all you Benefits folks) is super not user friendly, which was supposed to be the whole reason we got it in the first place. 

I hate health care in this country, I hate that I have two weeks to make decisions about my health care for the entire next year, and I hate that every time I do this I don’t feel like I did it correctly. 
    The bolded x a billionty.  A huge amount of mom's stress is navigating the bullshit.  :/ 
  • Also I’m trying to do my open enrollment and our system (Workday for all you Benefits folks) is super not user friendly, which was supposed to be the whole reason we got it in the first place. 

I hate health care in this country, I hate that I have two weeks to make decisions about my health care for the entire next year, and I hate that every time I do this I don’t feel like I did it correctly. 
    I work in healthcare insurance and I hate the state of healthcare in this country. I've been agonizing over what to do for H and I next year because we have a baby coming in February. Our only affordable options for coverage are super high HDHPs (like $12,000 or $13,000 family deductible) with little or no employer HSA contribution (depending on what route we go). I can't make myself pull the trigger because I feel like no matter what, we're going to spend a fortune between premiums and deductibles and there's no way around it. I've already spent $2,000 towards my deductible on this pregnancy and my deductible will reset on 1/1 so it's like it doesn't even matter.
  • Kacey and Willie last night was THE BEST.  I really loved Marin Morris's very first single and have absolutely hated every other song she's put out - I really want to like her though.  I think Dierks Bentley absolutely trashed "Bobby Mcgee".  Lady A and Halsey was a surprisingly awesome combo!

Jersey Boys is SO GOOD!!!  Have a great time Charlotte!

I'm usually traveling most of November, but am too pregnant at the moment.  It's making my work days drag because 1) no one is in the office 2) It's hard to stay motivated when no one is here 3) I've definitely crossed into baby mode and my brain is having trouble multi-tasking.  Also, I'm so tired.  Doesn't matter how much or how little sleep, I'm just tired. Very ready for the weekend!

Preach!

I loathe so much about it.   I hate how DH's company will hit us with the spousal surcharge because I am gainfully employed by a company that offers insurance BUT his coworker with the SAHW who CHOSE to quit her job and be home?  No surcharge.   The coworker whose wife is self-employed making custom European tours?  No surcharge.   So now companies are essentially offering different benefits to their employees and it's all part of the game.   I dislike it intensely. 
  • I think I just hate this time of year.  I'm sure it's seasonal depression, which just ends up making things that would just be mere irritations/annoyances into huge, soul swallowing problems.  I should be allowed to hibernate; I'd be better off and so would the world.

Basically, it's all SSDD right now.  I think I might be dipping my toe into a bit of a family situation; I really want to stay home for Thanksgiving this year.  I'm 42 years old and I've spent every Thanksgiving since I was 23, bouncing into other people's houses and transporting food and all that stuff.  I would like to just stay home and have some me time.  I'm willing to go everywhere for Christmas in return.  My parents are already in, they feel the same way.  K's family is not, so I have to broach the, "I do love your family, but I need this time, I'm fine with you going w/out me," and seeing their response (to note: K was actually super into the idea of staying home for Thanksgiving, but said their mother's face fell when K brought it up, so K is planning on going).  I don't want to piss anyone off, but I really need some time away and I don't have any vacations on the horizon for....well not at all, really.
  • @VarunaTT Stay home! The best thing H and I ever did was go away for Thanksgiving a few years ago. I turned 30 on Thanksgiving day that year and had zero desire to do the bouncing around from house to house. So we said eff it and went to Florida for the holiday/my birthday. It was amazing to have that time to ourselves and no pressure to fulfill any family obligations. I'm not allowed to take any vacation time from about September until January so getting away for even a few days over the holiday made a world of difference. 
  • I'm back from vacation and catching up on work and TK.

MrsConn - I'm very sorry to read the update on your mom.  She seems to have a wonderful outlook and she and all of your family will be in my prayers.

Vacation was great!  We ate and drank all over NOLA.  My parents put up with me dragging them around pretty well, though by the end, they wanted to use Lyfts to go everywhere!  Our dogs did well and Cassie only had two issues of counter surfing.  We almost ran out of dog food the last night before we returned because Cassie was able to get the container of it off the back of the counter and there was very little left in our extra bucket.  Luckily, my sister was able to come to that rescue and another time when a dog sitter was locked out!  So she got a box of beignet mix for her troubles!

Work will be busy over the next few months, so that will be good to help pass the day by, but not for Knotting!

It's actually really easy at the company I work for.  Because we're given no choices for health care coverage.  You can choose the High Deductible plan.  Or you can...umm...opt out.  Those are the choices, lol.

@cupcait927, I hear ya!  I've heard some insurers will have exceptions for pregnancy, so the deductible will carry over and "count" for the next year just for that.  But they don't have to do that and, obviously, many don't.  I've known families who have literally tried to time getting pregnant so it works out with their insurance where the majority/all of the pregnancy and the delivery are in the same year.

To jump on the PP bandwagon.  Yes.  So, so, so, so many things wrong with the way healthcare is done in this country.  And people having to incorporate the timing of insurance deductibles into their family planning is just yet another example of how ridiculously bad things are.

Do you know what other industry does that?  Horse breeding for race horses.  Because a horse is considered a 1-year-old from the year it was born in.  Doesn't matter if it is born in Jan. or Dec.  So race horse breeders better make GD sure their colts are born in Jan, to ensure they really are a full year old.

That's a little too close for comfort to me that insurance companies are, in essence, having some control over "breeding times" for humans also, smh.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy yes, some hospitals and insurance companies will do what's called "global billing" so that all of your visits, ultrasounds, etc, are all billed at one time after you deliver, which would be ideal because then it's only going towards one deductible. Unfortunately my plan doesn't do that :( I'm grateful to be pregnant because it took us a year to get here, but damn it's so expensive. My 20 week ultrasound was almost $1,000 alone, while my girlfriend paid a $40 copay for hers. Thankfully we can afford the bills but there are so many people who can't.  
  • @MissKittyDanger, congrats to M!  He'll probably go into that second interview with so much confidence...because he knows he already has a great job offer...that they'll be clamoring for him also!  Bidding war, I tell you, lol ;).

@OliveOilsMom, I'm glad you all had a great time in NOLA!  Plus the weather was awesome last week.  Eating and drinking all the foods and cocktails is one of the best parts about this place, lol.  I know I'm biased, but I think NOLA is such a unique and fun place to visit.

I have a really, really busy day today.  Ugh.  Because my day is really busy tomorrow also, which is supposed to be my half day, and I want to try and make sure I don't have to work later tomorrow.  The fact that it is Prudie day obviously does NOT help with my motivation, lol.

My H and I have a fun date night, tonight at a great restaurant.  So I am looking forward to that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy yes, some hospitals and insurance companies will do what's called "global billing" so that all of your visits, ultrasounds, etc, are all billed at one time after you deliver, which would be ideal because then it's only going towards one deductible. Unfortunately my plan doesn't do that :( I'm grateful to be pregnant because it took us a year to get here, but damn it's so expensive. My 20 week ultrasound was almost $1,000 alone, while my girlfriend paid a $40 copay for hers. Thankfully we can afford the bills but there are so many people who can't.  
    The sad thing is that's true for a lot of things.  Including lifesaving medication.  There's been an outcry in the diabetes community over the last few years because insulin prices have been skyrocketing.  For no other reason then because pharmaceutical companies can.  People have died because they couldn't afford insulin or had to "ration" it.  This exact problem was even featured on recent episodes of New Amsterdam and Chicago Med.

I'm sure there are a lot of medications like that.  But, as a Type I diabetic myself, that's the crisis I'm especially familiar with.  In a country as wealthy as this one, it sickens me that people are dying because they can't afford a simple medication that has been around for almost 100 years.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy  He's hoping for a bidding war, but Job 1 is already offering well above his original asking price. Amount he's getting is just under 20k more than what his current salary is. Once he's already blown away lol
  • @climbingwife, your weekend sounds like a piece of relaxing heaven!  Have a good time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Today is my Friday!! 

Getting my nails done early, and then heading upstate with my 2 best friends for a girls weekend. So excited! The place we rented has a hot tub and I just might stay in it all weekend (with a glass of wine, of course). 
    You should just keep the bottle by the tub. 
  • banana468 said:
    Today is my Friday!! 

Getting my nails done early, and then heading upstate with my 2 best friends for a girls weekend. So excited! The place we rented has a hot tub and I just might stay in it all weekend (with a glass of wine, of course). 
    Just make sure to bring a long straw.  For easier sipping :).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    Today is my Friday!! 

Just make sure to bring a long straw.  For easier sipping :).
    I miss wine.  
  • Enjoy the close to home Costco @banana468!
    Preach on the Healthcare and enjoy Jersey Boys @charlotte989875
    Another day of SSDD for me :)
  • It's my Friday!  I'm taking a mental health day tomorrow.  I have a work conference all day on Saturday to get CEUs for my certification half of my weekend is gone.  DH's sister has been hospitalized in our city for 2.5 weeks and was just transferred to a long-term care hospital about 1.5 hours from us.  We'll drive up there on Sunday to visit.  I just need a day by myself. I might spend it in my pjs watching tv or maybe go out and about on my own.  Just need some downtime.

• banana468 said:
    I have a cold I can't shake and it's annoying.   Hey kids - I love you and I am thankful for you but could you please not cough in my face?   

It's flu shot night for Chiquita and Chiquito and then we are probably going to try to see what the new Costco in town is like.   It opens today, we have a membership and I am SO EXCITED that we have this in town.

You'd think that by putting in a Costco though that the town opted to burn down the Amazon rainforest to build a puppy mill based on some of the responses seen.   It'll be interesting to see how many of the anti-Costco residents find out that it's actually rather convenient to shop there.
    I was ridiculously excited when they opened the first Costco in Louisiana, less than 5 miles from my house.  So I get it!

It's not even so much that I like Costco better than Sam's Club or anything.  But, before Costco, there were no warehouse clubs in NOLA.  There are three Sam's clubs in the area, but they are all in the suburbs.  And hence a good 20-30 minute drive away.

Note to Sam's Club:  I don't know why you've chosen to ignore a city with 300K people in it.  But noted.  So now I shop at Costco because they are so much more convenient. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    I have a cold I can't shake and it's annoying.   Hey kids - I love you and I am thankful for you but could you please not cough in my face?   

I was ridiculously excited when they opened the first Costco in Louisiana, less than 5 miles from my house.  So I get it!

It's not even so much that I like Costco better than Sam's Club or anything.  But, before Costco, there were no warehouse clubs in NOLA.  There are three Sam's clubs in the area, but they are all in the suburbs.  And hence a good 20-30 minute drive away.

Note to Sam's Club:  I don't know why you've chosen to ignore a city with 300K people in it.  But noted.  So now I shop at Costco because they are so much more convenient. 
    Costco also is more paleo diet friendly... which is what I tell people I follow.....

• banana468 said:

There is a BJ's the next town over and it's fine.   But my experience with the food and items at Costco is that Costco has a better selection to fit a range of diets, has better clothing options (I have two Kirkland cashmere sweaters that are very soft and have held up nicely over the years), more in-house food options ($5 rotisserie chicken will be GREAT on busy work/school nights) plus the standard good options on paper goods and other household items.   The kids need luggage when we go to FL in April and I anticipate getting them decent carry on luggage at Costco.   As a bonus they sell some of the Mickey spinner cases!

It's built in an area of town that's zoned commercial and they  just re-did the exit off the highway to be better suited for the increased traffic.   But by the way that the residents talk the town should never have allowed this to be built - and how they think they could have prevented it is a great guess because "I don't think we should have it here" is not how you prevent businesses from going in.  Other residents are concerned about the water supply and others somehow think that our first selectman has some kind of backroom deal getting it built.   There must have been a big discount on tinfoil hats.
  • banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

There is a BJ's the next town over and it's fine.   But my experience with the food and items at Costco is that Costco has a better selection to fit a range of diets, has better clothing options (I have two Kirkland cashmere sweaters that are very soft and have held up nicely over the years), more in-house food options ($5 rotisserie chicken will be GREAT on busy work/school nights) plus the standard good options on paper goods and other household items.   The kids need luggage when we go to FL in April and I anticipate getting them decent carry on luggage at Costco.   As a bonus they sell some of the Mickey spinner cases!

It's built in an area of town that's zoned commercial and they  just re-did the exit off the highway to be better suited for the increased traffic.   But by the way that the residents talk the town should never have allowed this to be built - and how they think they could have prevented it is a great guess because "I don't think we should have it here" is not how you prevent businesses from going in.  Other residents are concerned about the water supply and others somehow think that our first selectman has some kind of backroom deal getting it built.   There must have been a big discount on tinfoil hats.
    I temporarily lived in Miami for 3 months.  That's the only time I've been in a BJs.  Maybe it was just the particular store in Miami, but I was extremely unimpressed.  It was substantially smaller than a Sam's or Costco.  And just had a dated, unclean, disorganized feel to it.  There's a chain of grocery stores where I live called Sav-A-Lot.  They're a discount grocery chain and are the same things I mentioned and, although they have some name brands, they also have a lot of cheap looking "imitation" type products.  Like "Frosty Flakes" with a cartoon lion on the box, lol.  At any rate, BJs reminded me of a warehouse store version of Save-A-Lot.

Hopefully people will be happier, once it's there and they can enjoy the convenience.  Though it does seem like there's always someone unhappy about something new coming into town.

This was an interesting comparison.  The NOLA Costco was largely very welcomed.  It was put on a large piece of land...that inexplicably...had always been a vacant lot on a prime piece of commercial real estate.  It is also in a depressed area.  So some of the "yay Costco" was being an affordable place to buy groceries in a poor neighborhood, that is also walking distance for lots of families.  It's been there for about 6 years now and has improved and revitalized the neighborhood.

But then, a Whole Foods built a store in a depressed (at the time)neighborhood and there was a lot of side-eye.  Because Whole Foods is certainly on the high end of groceries and not a great choice for people stretching their budget.  I thought it was great because, until Whole Foods came along, there was nothing but a gross, derelict building on the site.  It had also been a grocery store, got flooded in Katrina, never reopened, and just fell into ruin.  And at least it was still another grocery option for the neighbors.  Because, come on.  The previous choice was an abandoned building!  That's not helpful for anybody.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker