Wedding Woes

Thursday?

2»

Re: Thursday?

• We headed to Costco after the kids' flu shots.   It took both DH and me to restrain Chiquito (his most recent memory of a shot was the nerve block in his finger when he was in the ER 3 weeks ago so I can't blame him for the fear) but we were in and out and then to the store.  

It's BEAUTIFUL.   The place is well organized, has a great selection of items and I cannot wait to get into their prepared foods.   The pot pie  looks delicious and the pizza is lower in price than a Di Giorno.   I think when the newness decreases it's going to be a great place for DH to stop on the way home when I need stuff for dinner.

Clearly I'm not going to be buying things like 6 pound containers of chick peas however that's going to be on someone's list!   And I loved their toy selection as well.   My kids were ready to bankrupt me in that aisle alone!

The local BJ's is fine.   But this is almost in my backyard, has a better selection of food and I think it's better in quality.   

Odd note - they don't take any credit cards other than Visa.   I have a MC and an Amex.   Luckily DH has a Visa.   I am going to look into getting one because I am not going to be that person who writes a check in line. 
  • banana468 said:
    We headed to Costco after the kids' flu shots.   It took both DH and me to restrain Chiquito (his most recent memory of a shot was the nerve block in his finger when he was in the ER 3 weeks ago so I can't blame him for the fear) but we were in and out and then to the store.  

It's BEAUTIFUL.   The place is well organized, has a great selection of items and I cannot wait to get into their prepared foods.   The pot pie  looks delicious and the pizza is lower in price than a Di Giorno.   I think when the newness decreases it's going to be a great place for DH to stop on the way home when I need stuff for dinner.

Clearly I'm not going to be buying things like 6 pound containers of chick peas however that's going to be on someone's list!   And I loved their toy selection as well.   My kids were ready to bankrupt me in that aisle alone!

The local BJ's is fine.   But this is almost in my backyard, has a better selection of food and I think it's better in quality.   

Odd note - they don't take any credit cards other than Visa.   I have a MC and an Amex.   Luckily DH has a Visa.   I am going to look into getting one because I am not going to be that person who writes a check in line. 
    Yeah I hate that visa thing!  Also if your a vodka drinker the Kirkland vodka is made by the same company, same distillatory as grey goose. Not saying it’s grey goose but...

last night I bought a huge bottle of Kirkland whiskey and Kirkland coffee liqueur (bailey’s).  I’m good for Irish coffee’s for the rest of the winter.

• banana468 said:
    We headed to Costco after the kids' flu shots.   It took both DH and me to restrain Chiquito (his most recent memory of a shot was the nerve block in his finger when he was in the ER 3 weeks ago so I can't blame him for the fear) but we were in and out and then to the store.  

Yeah I hate that visa thing!  Also if your a vodka drinker the Kirkland vodka is made by the same company, same distillatory as grey goose. Not saying it’s grey goose but...

last night I bought a huge bottle of Kirkland whiskey and Kirkland coffee liqueur (bailey’s).  I’m good for Irish coffee’s for the rest of the winter.
    We always buy 2 handles of vodka almost every time we got to Costco because of the price and it's the liquor we drink the most.  It's best price for a handle of vodka I've ever seen (besides, like, Dark Eyes). 

DH just bought a medium weight coat there that he loves.  I've bought a lot of clothes there that I love.  

Prepared food wise-the street tacos and the ravioli lasagna are family faves.  We've also gotten the chicken fettucine and it was great as well. 

I believe their broccoli cheddar soup is Panera's recipe and it's excellent with bacon added to it.  

There's so many things that are Costco staples for us.  Also, we can get dinner there for under $10 for DH, DefConn, and me.  DefConn loves their fruit smoothies.  ;)  

Welcome to your new addiction. 
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2019
    @banana468, there is a Costco visa card that's through Citibank.  I have one and the way they do their cashback points really gels with my style.  It's 3% back for restaurants/fast food.  Cha-ching!  I especially love that because especially with my mystery shopping, my H and I go out to dinner a lot.  4% back on gas (any station, not just Costco).  And 2% back on your Costco purchases.

Edited to add:  Of course, 1% back for everything else.

The only little twist with their points system is the points are only paid as a Costco gift certificate for the calendar year.  Usually available in Feb. of the following year and needs to be used by Dec. 31st of that year.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @banana468, there is a Costco visa card that's through Citibank.  I have one and the way they do their cashback points really gels with my style.  It's 3% back for restaurants/fast food.  Cha-ching!  I especially love that because especially with my mystery shopping, my H and I go out to dinner a lot.  4% back on gas (any station, not just Costco).  And 2% back on your Costco purchases.

Edited to add:  Of course, 1% back for everything else.

The only little twist with their points system is the points are only paid as a Costco gift certificate for the calendar year.  Usually available in Feb. of the following year and needs to be used by Dec. 31st of that year.
    I'm looking into the Chase Sapphire.   We have Disney coming up and I fly a few times a year for work.   That annual fee includes Global Entry which would be GREAT to skip some of the lines plus the points for travel.   We're currently looking at options. 
  • The Costco chicken pot pies are amazing. And during the holiday season their pumpkin pies are good, gigantic, and like $5.  We get their Kirkland vodka too. I still like Tito’s the best though. 

The flu shot this year was practically painless. Not what I was expecting at all. 

• levioosa said:
    The Costco chicken pot pies are amazing. And during the holiday season their pumpkin pies are good, gigantic, and like $5.  We get their Kirkland vodka too. I still like Tito’s the best though. 

The flu shot this year was practically painless. Not what I was expecting at all. 
    Okay, I think you all are talking me into trying one of their chicken pot pies, lol.  I've seen them.  Their enormous.  My H loves chicken pot pie.  It's not usually my thing, but I don't hate them and I'll eat them.

Their chocolate cakes are insane!  They're also huge.  They're a great quality.  I'm not much of a sweets person, but even I can appreciate their especially rich chocolate taste.  And I think they're only $25!  I get my H one every year for his birthday because he loves chocolate cake and especially likes the Costco one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • i live the Costco bakery (muffins!!!) but so far have been good about avoiding it.  I saw those street tacos last night after my massage therapist mentioned them!  Where are the pot pies? Was it mentioned?  I may have skipped over that.  It’s H’s absolute fav too

• i live the Costco bakery (muffins!!!) but so far have been good about avoiding it.  I saw those street tacos last night after my massage therapist mentioned them!  Where are the pot pies? Was it mentioned?  I may have skipped over that.  It’s H’s absolute fav too
    Someone on here mentioned the Costco street tacos at one point in time!  I was tempted the last time I was there, but had too much stuff in my freezer.

My Costco doesn't always have the pot pies, but they have them often.  They're in the prepared foods area.  I think they're latticed and I'd guess they're even bigger than a 12" diameter.  The first time my H and I saw them, we both had our mouths drop open with a, "Whoa!!!  I can't believe how big they are!"  I think an 1/8th of one would be a good-sized meal.  Because they're thick too and it looks like large chunks of chicken. So, for two, that's 4 meals.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Someone on here mentioned the Costco street tacos at one point in time!  I was tempted the last time I was there, but had too much stuff in my freezer.

My Costco doesn't always have the pot pies, but they have them often.  They're in the prepared foods area.  I think they're latticed and I'd guess they're even bigger than a 12" diameter.  The first time my H and I saw them, we both had our mouths drop open with a, "Whoa!!!  I can't believe how big they are!"  I think an 1/8th of one would be a good-sized meal.  Because they're thick too and it looks like large chunks of chicken. So, for two, that's 4 meals.
    And they freeze well too, so you can buy them and save for later. 

• Yes - (New Costco expert here) the pot pie was in the prepared food section.

In the store that they built prepared foods are just a walk down from the meats.   So now I can pick up the prime rib roast we're having for Christmas dinner and the pot pie that we'll eat two days before because I am NOT cooking.

• I love Costco's cheese selection. Their rotisserie chickens are unbeatable. I often buy their Asian Salad mix and throw in some chicken - dinner in under 5 mins if I've picked the chicken ahead of time. My only complaint ( and it's true with any warehouse store) is that I get use to buying a particular item then they stop carrying it! I have managed to stay away from the baked goods but they sure look good!

• I love Costco's cheese selection. Their rotisserie chickens are unbeatable. I often buy their Asian Salad mix and throw in some chicken - dinner in under 5 mins if I've picked the chicken ahead of time. My only complaint ( and it's true with any warehouse store) is that I get use to buying a particular item then they stop carrying it! I have managed to stay away from the baked goods but they sure look good!

Or they move things around - which may as well be out of stock because I don’t have the time to find it’s new home!

• levioosalevioosa member
    edited November 2019
    banana468 said:
    Yes - (New Costco expert here) the pot pie was in the prepared food section.

In the store that they built prepared foods are just a walk down from the meats.   So now I can pick up the prime rib roast we're having for Christmas dinner and the pot pie that we'll eat two days before because I am NOT cooking.

That reminds me: the pre-seasoned prime rib is super good. I bought it for Christmas last year and made it on a rotisserie. Everyone asked me where I had gotten it and what I had seasoned it with. It made preparing dinner so much easier. 

ETA: I sound like a Costco fan girl lol

• y’all need to stop because I got to experience that amazingness of Costco for the one year we were in Ohio then never again! We don’t have them in Buffalo and I’m legitimately disappointed. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited November 2019
    Another Costco find:
    clara’s pumpkin pie in a jar.  2 of them for $5.98 (if I remember correctly).  Just add 3 eggs and fill into a pie crust (pilsbury was good).

not a huge fan of pumpkin pie but was pretty good!  

• We love their chicken noodle soup, cilantro lime shrimp, and rotisserie chicken .  My Costco also makes an Asian chicken wrap that is quite delicious as well.  Their ready to bake pizza is great but you can also order and pick up a fresh hot pizza from their concessions area!  My particular holiday "must have" purchase is the 64 piece Anthon Berg liquor filled dark chocolates!  I think they might be $16 a box, and I buy several!  I make candy "goody bags" for several staff members at school, add them to a sweets tray I take to my hair and nail salons, and add to any sweets tray I bring to work or parties. Don't even get me started on the kids clothing there.  I just bought my oldest granddaughter the nicest winter coat there!  And those tables with all the Carter's clothes?  Damn.  For new shoppers, look for the * symbol on the price card, and you will be getting their close out/bargain price!

@banana468, I AM that check writing person.  At least in my Costco, all I have to do is sign the check, and the printer takes care of the rest!  Easy peasy!
  • MobKaz said:
    We love their chicken noodle soup, cilantro lime shrimp, and rotisserie chicken .  My Costco also makes an Asian chicken wrap that is quite delicious as well.  Their ready to bake pizza is great but you can also order and pick up a fresh hot pizza from their concessions area!  My particular holiday "must have" purchase is the 64 piece Anthon Berg liquor filled dark chocolates!  I think they might be $16 a box, and I buy several!  I make candy "goody bags" for several staff members at school, add them to a sweets tray I take to my hair and nail salons, and add to any sweets tray I bring to work or parties. Don't even get me started on the kids clothing there.  I just bought my oldest granddaughter the nicest winter coat there!  And those tables with all the Carter's clothes?  Damn.  For new shoppers, look for the * symbol on the price card, and you will be getting their close out/bargain price!

@banana468, I AM that check writing person.  At least in my Costco, all I have to do is sign the check, and the printer takes care of the rest!  Easy peasy!
    I just bought the twins winter coats there! What a deal AND they are approved to wear in a car seat. DD was ecstatic!
  • @ilovebeachmusic what coats are they? I don't have Costco but my parents do
  • I think the brand was Snozu. They also came with little hats. I didn't see if they still had them when I was there on Sunday, but then again I wasn't looking.