Wedding Woes

Monday, Monday

How was everyone’s weekend? Mine was good except for waking up yesterday with a cold. I should have worked from home today but I dragged myself here. Might even take tomorrow off (I already took Wednesday and Friday!) 

But I got to hang out with my niece on Saturday. We decorated the tree, played with her Fisher Price people nativity set (she really like putting the donkeys on the roof and the baby in the wheelbarrow), and I watched a bunch of movies on Disney+. 

Re: Monday, Monday

• Blerg on the cold. DH is still fighting off the tail end of one. Luckily, both of us are WFH this week, so he at least got to get a little extra sleep. Hopefully you can kick yours before the holiday. 

Weekend here was chill. We did our mini Thanksgiving with DH's sister. She decided not to cook a big meal (understandable, there were 5 of us), so wanted to do a pot pie from Costco. Except when she got there to shop, they were out. She's an excellent hostess /s, so DH and I went to 2 other costcos to find one on our way over. But y'all, back to that costco pot pie conversation last week, it was so good. 

We're travelling to my family for the holiday this year. I'm generally not a fan of travelling on t-giving, but it was important to my mom. We're trying to get everything ready and get excited. Luckily, that means a 2 day work week :). This will be our first real roadtrip with the pup, so any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 
  • I had a really great productive weekend. 

I had Friday off, so I hit up the grocery store at 7am to get most of the things I'll need for Tday. I then spent the rest of the day deep cleaning the kitchen, dining room and living room. We ordered in Friday night and watched TV. 

Saturday I got up early again, and deep cleaned the rest of the house, and did all the laundry. We also fixed up more things around the house - hung some more sheetrock, replaced some outlets and bought new area rugs for downstairs. 

Saturday night we went to our friend's 50th birthday party. We actually stayed out until 2am! Haven't done that in forever, and I'm still exhausted. Obviously I stayed in bed all day yesterday...haha. 

But, I'm ready for Thursday! 
  • I had a great weekend.  Got lots of rest.  On Sat., my H and I used two BOGO coupons for Honey Baked Ham sandwiches.  We went out to dinner at a Chinese restaurant we'd been wanting to try.  My H is the picky one when it comes to Chinese food.  I really liked it, but he was "meh".  So the search for extra good Chinese food in an ethnic food desert continues, lol.  We also made a rare trip to Target.  I took advantage of their "buy $50 in food, get a $10 gift card" they had over the weekend.  We weren't even shopping for clothes, but my H found a sweater cardigan he really likes.  Which is so weird, because he generally doesn't wear sweaters or cardigans, lol.

I also found a score on an oven from a used appliance store.  $165, including delivery and it includes a 3-month warranty.  It should be coming today or tomorrow.  That's the last appliance we need for the unit we are about to list.  The first one that is ready from those two duplexes we've been rehabbing!  

I'm also in a really good mood today.  Probably because it's a short week, lol.  Plus, we are having a big potluck at work today.  I'm so excited about that!  I love potlucks, but it's not something my workplace normally does.  I think it's been 4-5 years since the last time we had one.  I brought green bean casserole.  Not very exciting, but it is a side I really like.  I also jazzed mine up with bacon, cheese, and extra seasonings.

At my work, Friday is a holiday also.  Since I work a 4 9's and a 4 (half-day Fridays) schedule, my half-day this week moves to Wed.  So awesome!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Celebrated B's birthday Friday with a Happy Meal and presents. Was going to sing to him but he'd already made us do it the day before and he had enough junk at daycare so he didn't need more cake - oops! He loved his presents and every morning he tells his big truck (Paw patrol semi truck) good morning and gives it a hug. 
  • Muat.  Try.  That.  Potpie. 

It was an expensive weekend. Breaks were done on my car, but the treadmill person said he was running a tune up/service fee special for $100 in cash.  I assumed cash meant check too but no, that was $100 in cold hard cash.   Checks were $130 (I don’t get it since most banks dont have a cashing check fee?).  Plus I need a new display board for it so he couldn’t even fix it!!!

Spent the rest of the weekend watching Hallmark christmas movies.

Today me and my co workers walked in with another unannounced V.P. here.  We’re all in jeans.  We (branch) wear jeans when no one is expected.  But corporate jokes that they know we wear them so I think it’s nbd? 

• @charlotte989875, try and rest up so you can beat this cold and aren't sick for the holidays!

@MyNameIsNot, I've only traveled a longer distance by car with two dogs...and not at the same time, lol...so my experience is limited.  But both of them were excited to be in the car at first, but then mellowed down in the back seat after 5-10 minutes.  My dog likes to lie on a blanket or towel and have one of her toys with her.  Not her favorite toy.  That one amps her up, lol.  But whichever toy she'll naturally sit and chew on, instead of wanting it thrown.  Since you all have a puppy, I'd also suggest lots of extra stops for potty breaks and to get some of the wiggles out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2019
    Muat.  Try.  That.  Potpie. 

It was an expensive weekend. Breaks were done on my car, but the treadmill person said he was running a tune up/service fee special for $100 in cash.  I assumed cash meant check too but no, that was $100 in cold hard cash.   Checks were $130 (I don’t get it since most banks dont have a cashing check fee?).  Plus I need a new display board for it so he couldn’t even fix it!!!

Maybe tax? If it's actual cash it could be under the table, vs. a check you put through your account you're probably going to have to claim the income. 
  • Blerg on the cold. DH is still fighting off the tail end of one. Luckily, both of us are WFH this week, so he at least got to get a little extra sleep. Hopefully you can kick yours before the holiday. 

Weekend here was chill. We did our mini Thanksgiving with DH's sister. She decided not to cook a big meal (understandable, there were 5 of us), so wanted to do a pot pie from Costco. Except when she got there to shop, they were out. She's an excellent hostess /s, so DH and I went to 2 other costcos to find one on our way over. But y'all, back to that costco pot pie conversation last week, it was so good. 

We're travelling to my family for the holiday this year. I'm generally not a fan of travelling on t-giving, but it was important to my mom. We're trying to get everything ready and get excited. Luckily, that means a 2 day work week :). This will be our first real roadtrip with the pup, so any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated! 
    We’ve traveled with the dog a lot! He’s really good in the car (So is the cat) but I’d say be prepared to stop every few hours, have a place that’s just for him/her to lay down; have a toy they like and bring treats. When we first started when he was really good (laying down, not barking) he’d get a treat, now he hops right up in the truck and lays himself down. 
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited November 2019
    It was a great weekend. Spent the majority of it cleaning because my mother in law will be visiting for the week. H and I decorated for Christmas last night and watched football all day. It was fairly low key. 

Today is inspection day for the new house. Thoughts  and prayers that they don’t find anything too major! 
  • I hope you feel better @charlotte989875!

Our weekend got crazy. Saturday my dad came over to help with the foundation issue I think I’ve mentioned before. And now our bathroom is completely demolished to the studs and we’re doing a complete remodel. So that escalated quickly. The walls were filled with original adobe bricks that were starting to completely crumble. I think we moved about three tons of materials yesterday. Someone had poured five inches of concrete over the subfloor. And our subfloor was floating. We think it used to be the original cold room for the house since it’s over 100 years old. Now we have to design a new bathroom. I’m trying to add a shower if I can. FI is stressing. Luckily my dad is helping which will save us $10-15K. 

Today is my first day of orientation for the new job. And I’m picking up the ingredients for the stuffing I’ve been voluntold to make for thanksgiving. 

• levioosa said:
    I hope you feel better @charlotte989875!

Our weekend got crazy. Saturday my dad came over to help with the foundation issue I think I’ve mentioned before. And now our bathroom is completely demolished to the studs and we’re doing a complete remodel. So that escalated quickly. The walls were filled with original adobe bricks that were starting to completely crumble. I think we moved about three tons of materials yesterday. Someone had poured five inches of concrete over the subfloor. And our subfloor was floating. We think it used to be the original cold room for the house since it’s over 100 years old. Now we have to design a new bathroom. I’m trying to add a shower if I can. FI is stressing. Luckily my dad is helping which will save us $10-15K. 

Today is my first day of orientation for the new job. And I’m picking up the ingredients for the stuffing I’ve been voluntold to make for thanksgiving. 
    Voluntold at home right?  Not a tgiving potluck at the new job already?

• lol, yes @CharmedPam. My aunt told me to make the stuffing for thanksgiving at her house. Even though we’re commuting the farthest at 2 hrs away. 🙄 New job is paid for Thanksgiving and the day after off. Wohoo. 

• @levioosa, wow!  That did escalate quickly!  But I'm sure, in the end, it will be a more solid house with a nice and updated new bathroom.  So at least that's a silver lining.

Different type of repair, but we had a quick escalation happen with our personal home, lol.  We had wood siding that was on its last legs when I bought the house.  About two years in, we decided we would be replacing it in a 1-2 year timeframe.  Then water started leaking into one of the rooms on the tenant side.  The poor condition siding was the main cause.

So, first, we were just going to replace the siding for that section of the house to buy us time until we replaced all of it.  Except that wood siding was possibly as old as the house (100 years) and "shocker", that was no longer the standard size for wood siding.  So our handyman would have had to specially cut each piece of wood.  When all was said and done, it would have been $800-$1,000 for the "temporary fix".  Or $3K to just do it all and be done with it (sigh).  We went with the smarter decision, bit the bullet, and put new Hardie board siding on that whole side of the house.  

Our silver lining was it allowed us to put new siding on our side of the house the next year.  Our exterior walls didn't have any insulation in them originally.  But we sure added that while we were putting up new siding anyway and it definitely made the house more comfortable.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @VarunaTT - I'm so glad you are able to have surgery tomorrow.  It's the perfect excuse for not doing family Thanksgiving on Thursday!
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited November 2019
    @VarunaTT So glad you got this scheduled. Good thoughts that you'll be so much more comfortable 24 hours from now. 
  • @VarunaTT so glad they were able to get you in!
  • Super busy day today at work after a very productive weekend.  The Santa meeting happened with DD and there were no tears!  We got some really great pictures that were taken with my camera and it was only $10!

Good vibes for your surgery tomorrow Varuna!  I wish you a speedy recovery and will keep you in my prayers!
  • Good vibes for your surgery tomorrow @VarunaTT!

• So glad your dealing with this now, @VarunaTT.  Will be thinking of you!

• YAY @VarunaTT!!! 

Weekend was all right.  Friday I was emotional, tired, thoroughly, irrationally annoyed at DH (picked a little fight with him and everything), and had to go to the store.  After that I came home and vented to SIL/BFF on the phone and listened to Brene Brown on Armchair Expert.  

Saturday, we got up and made breakfast.  We headed to mom and dad's.  DH, dad, DefConn, and nephew went to the movies.  I helped younger sis clean up mom and dad's house a little bit and then headed to see mom at the hospital.  When I showed up, she was uber-upset because they'd given her a super painful shot. I got in bed with her and loved on her.  :(  My BIL and 4 yo nephew showed up a little while later and nephew was the best meds for mom.  He was an angel baby.  The movie crew showed up and mom got loves from all her guys.  We headed home to have a fire and watch more Jack Ryan Season 2.  The kiddo and his GF spent the night.  We watched SNL for the first time in hot minute and it was a good one to watch.  The ketchup commercial and debate 'recap' were highlights

Sunday, mom got released 1st thing!  YAY!  DH and I ran to the store alone for a few odds and ends alone since the kiddo was at the house.  After that, we cleaned house and then SIL was at FIL's.  We hung out with her and nieces for the afternoon and went to dinner.  We got home in time to see the AMA's.  

Since the weather was so nice tonight, I got a bunch of random outside stuff done that we wanted to take care of before winter really hits. ;)