Wedding Woes
Options

End of a decade!

Happy New Years Eve! I’m home, trying to summon the motivation to either go shopping or to the gym. Last day of 2019 and I’m doing nothing exciting. H is working and I’m making some Mac & cheese for dinner but other than that no plans. 

Anyone have exciting NYE plans? 

Also, because I love these things, my decade in review:
- finished PhD
- started tenure track job (2x)
- got married
- lived in 3 states (9 apartments/houses)
- left academia & started a new career
- 2 promotions 
- 9 half marathons, two full marathons, 1 ultra Ragnar - bought 2 houses, sold 1
- baby on the way! 

Re: End of a decade!

• Options
    Half day today at work, thankfully. Then home for a nap, cleaning the house before company comes over, and getting ready for the evening. We are doing a more laid back evening, with dinner out and then probably heading to the local bar. It will be interesting to see how well we handle getting to midnight. I’m already tired. 

• Options
    Still have a lot of work to do today!  But we get out at 3!  Woohoo!

Tonight we will go to my Hs friend's house for a bit first.  Then we will make our way over to my BFFs house.  We will sleep over there.  My niece is coming over with her friend to stay at my house with the dogs tonight.  We don't know how Cassie would react to the fireworks.  We know Olive doesn't like them and we would just crate her and she would be good.  But we don't know how Cassie would react to Olive being crated (when she cannot be crated at all).  So to be safe, we are having my niece over.  I got them some pizza, mac n cheese and sparkling grape juice - so they will have a good time!

May everyone have happiness, health and prosperity in 2020!
  • Options
    I keep forgetting it's the end of a decade!  Looking forward to the 20s (although I wonder how many "Great Gatsby" weddings we'll be invited to  :#)

Enjoy your NYE everyone! 
  • Options
    CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited December 2019
    Yeah it’s so amazing to me that we’re moving into another decade! My year was really good though.  Some bumps, but I manages to stay strong.  Two international travels, one trip to Gettysburg, one trip to Salem (my two fave domestic cities), plastic surgery, turned 40, and H and I decided he needs a job change but he has to wait till next year (tomorrow) for that.  I’m hoping 2020 will be a good year too.

you all sound like you have some great NYE plans!  @VarunaTT, you reminded me that we have 4 cooking class tickets we paid for like 3 years ago. Gotta get on that. 

• Options
    Happy New Year! 

Decade highlights and lowlights:
    -Got pregnant twice.
    -Had Chiquita and Chiquito
    -Bought a house.
    -Became reluctant landlords when the condo did not sell.  
    -Became an auntie when my Goddaughter was born.   
    -Changed employers when Chiquito was 4 mo and learned the ins and outs of pumping breast milk in airport bathrooms when I traveled for work when he was 6 mo.
    -Late summer of 2015 brought the loss off my grandmother at 98, my uncle in his 60s from glioblastoma and my cousin died by suicide. 
    -DH lost his grandfather and aunt in 2017.
    -Bought a boat in 2017 and the kids discovered their sea legs.   
    -2019 brought a brand new love of boats and fishing while my 4 yo learned to "go casting".

DH and I continue to work on "us" to use our words and I work on my patience with my kids.   Parenthood has brought a lot of challenges in this decade and I've lost a lot of my arrogance I had for it in my 20s! 
  • Options
    I am loving these highlights!  I'm probably going to miss the New Year - I plan to sleep, set an alarm for 11:55, count it down with hubby and the dog in bed, and then go back to sleep.

This was a crazy decade for me, with two years being the worst years of my life so far, but also had some of the best years, so it's been interesting.  Some highlights:

- got married
    - lived in the Netherlands
    - got a Masters degree
    - got a couple awesome rabbits (which is every decade though, so ...)
    - traveled to several awesome places
    - got so many new nieces and nephews

• Options
    Happy New Year's Eve, everyone!

@climbingwife, and the Tough Mudder is your most recent highlight!

I'm just not mentally connecting that it is about to be a new decade.  I don't why, lol.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some, but these are the highlights (in order) foremost in my mind for the 2010s:

--Changed my financial mindset and got my act better together.
    --Bought my first home.  Followed shortly by acquiring my first tenant to rent out the other side.
    --Got my first dog.
    --Started working for my current employer 7 years ago (good situation and longest running job I've had).
    --Got married.
    --Bought five non-owner occupied rental properties (4 duplexes, one SFH) and will be at 10 "doors" when we finish our renovations on the two current duplexes.  Which will also put me at 80% towards my ultimate goal of "could retire from my W-2 job", with my net monthly rental income.

I hope 2020 heralds in an amazing new year and new decade for all of us!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I forgot to play!  This decade:

* got married
    * had DD
    * stayed overnight in HI, FL, CO, Wash DC, LA, SC, TN, MA, VA, MD, NV, WV and PA
    * saw Jimmy Buffett and/or U2 in concert each year (u2 when available!)
    * sold a house and bought a house
    * renovated 3 bathrooms ourselves
    * Eagles won the Super Bowl
    * bought my first car that was only a few years old instead of 10 years old!
    * bought our first electric car
    * huge personal growth in my career, I'm entering my 15th year here.
  • Options
    I’m impressed that you guys remembered what you did in the last 10 years.  I pulled at strings for 1 year!   Lol

• Options
    Highlights:

Rang in 2010 with friends. Then on the phone with an ex {we got back together for a short while afterwards}
    Cheated on said ex with another guy. Thought I was suppose to be with him.
    2010 my friend passed in July. Brought me and the other guy closer but not really in a way that was good. Also lost a few friends because of stupidity.
    2011 - Met M, he moved into my parents place after 2 months. He got his first career job. We got an apt together.
    2012 Dragged our asses through but with climate change, it was a short winter and got us out lots more :)
    2013 Started working at current job. Moved to 2nd apt. Started planning our first trip.
    2014 My mum's stepdad passed. Went to Mexico. Lost my dad. Got engaged.
    2015 married M <3 
    2016 bought a house/moved into said house
    2017 got pregnant. Lost more friends because of stupidity {although that was more early 2018 ....}
    2018 had BabyKitten
    2019 dealt with bad bouts of depression TWICE; went back to work; started course for work.