Wedding Woes

I'm Trans, but not an 'expert'.

Dear Prudence,

I started transitioning about two years ago in my early 30s. Despite living in a small, conservative town, I have a great partner, supportive siblings, and a great circle of friends, and I’m doing pretty well. Since I came out, a lot of younger trans people who lack support have come into my life. No one’s on the verge of being kicked out of their home or anything, but sometimes I’m asked for my advice on subjects I really haven’t ever had to deal with. Recently a friend asked if I’d speak to a friend of theirs whose young child had been removed from school after questioning their gender and self-harming. I was happy to talk to her and offer my support, but I felt like a fraud. I want to help these kids, but I feel clueless beyond my own experience. I guess I’m wondering if there are resources for parents of younger trans kids, and how to help while I’m still figuring things out myself.

—Suddenly a Trans Elder

Re: I'm Trans, but not an 'expert'.

• I love that LW is doing what they can to help these kids and parents!  But LW does seem to be in over their head and I'm glad they can admit that!  The one thing LW could do is create a list of resources that LW can shared with the kids and parents.  Also, don't be afraid to say, I can talk to them, but please search for other organizations that can do so much more than me.

I also hope that LW takes it easy on themselves, they are not a fraud, just trying to help in any way possible!
  • Sounds like the one LW spoke to just needed a safe space and someone to understand what they're dealing with - questions, validation, etc - and maybe have resources that LW could know even.

You don't have to be an expert, just understanding of what someone is going through to be helpful.