Wedding Woes

1,000 lbs of baggage in 2 paragraphs

Dear Prudence,

My daughters haven’t spoken to me in seven years. Their father was a mean man and a drunk, but he was a good father. That’s the only nice thing I can say about him—that he loved his daughters. I didn’t cry when he died. Later, I met “Elaine” and fell in love. It felt like coming home. My daughters were upset and didn’t understand. I was disappointed by their reaction. My eldest daughter had dated someone nonwhite in college and her father objected, but I’d stood up for her and supported their relationship. I hoped she’d do the same for me, but she called me a “dirty queer.” My youngest kept asking if this meant my marriage was a lie—even though she’d driven me to the hospital more than once when my husband beat me. I tried to be there for them, but when my eldest didn’t invite me to her engagement party, or even tell me it had taken place, I gave up.

Elaine and I got married after five years. I invited both my girls, but they never replied. I have a grandson I’ve never met. I have learned I can become accustomed to hurt better than to hope. My oldest daughter’s stepson is apparently gay, which has thrown her for a loop. She’s reached out and asked to “reconcile,” but her language is very precise and professional. It’s not an apology. I want one. Does this make me a bad mother? I love my girls, but I’m not so sure about the women they’ve become. I stayed with their father because he never hurt them, and I couldn’t afford to support them on my own. I was faithful his whole life. Elaine is my support and my soulmate. I love her. I am not going to apologize for that even for my girls. How do I move on from here?

—Waiting for an Apology

Re: 1,000 lbs of baggage in 2 paragraphs

• If no apology  has been given have you thought about starting the conversation with something at least akin to, "You haven't spoken to me in years and that's very hurtful.   I would like to have our relationship back however I think we need to talk a lot about why you shut me out and how that made me feel." 

I'm not a big fan of holding out for an apology but instead what about conversation? 
  • I think the daughters' pain at seeing mom come out also made them realize, she could have left the abusive father a long time ago.  Why did they have to put up with the abusive father?  LW said that the dad never hit the girls, but there is some horrible trauma when you have to drive your own mother to the hospital due to your father's actions.  I think LW needs to accept some of that fault.

Does the LW need an apology over being called the phrase I won't repeat - yes, absolutely.  But I think just a general conversation starting with the daughter is the start that is needed.  The daughter may have started the email/letter as precise and professional because she didn't know how else to start it.  It can be really hard trying to apologize and hopefully get a fresh start when both parties have done wrong.  
  • Everyone here has experience trauma and sounds like no one has dealt with it in any real way. 

LW you don’t get to decide that your children didn’t have trauma or lasting feelings about living in a house with physical and emotional abuse. 

There is zero excuse for their homophobic behavior and you absolutely don’t need to talk with your daughters if you don’t want to after that. 

Everyone here needs trauma counseling and maybe after that you can decide if/how/on what terms you want to reconcile. 
  • I think she needs to realize that even though their father never "hurt" her kids, they're still probably traumatized from the abuse she suffered. She talks about one daughter having to drive her to the hospital multiple times. That shit leaves scars. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2020
    mrsconn23 said:

Dear Prudence,

My daughters haven’t spoken to me in seven years. Their father was a mean man and a drunk, but he was a good father. Um, fathers that abuse the mother of their children are not 'good' fathers. That’s the only nice thing I can say about him—that he loved his daughters. Just because he loved them doesn't mean he wasn't an abusive piece of shit to or around them. I didn’t cry when he died. OK? Later, I met “Elaine” and fell in love. It felt like coming home. That's very nice and good for you. My daughters were upset and didn’t understand. I was disappointed by their reaction. Did you ask them why they were upset? My eldest daughter had dated someone nonwhite in college and her father objected, but I’d stood up for her and supported their relationship. One has nothing to do with the other. Trying to compare that is insulting to your daughter.  I hoped she’d do the same for me, but she called me a “dirty queer.”  That's terrible and sad that she said that and if she truly feels that way  My youngest kept asking if this meant my marriage was a lie—even though she’d driven me to the hospital more than once when my husband beat me. Your daughter was traumatized and wondering why she went through all of that.  I tried to be there for them, but when my eldest didn’t invite me to her engagement party, or even tell me it had taken place, I gave up. How did you try to be there for them?  Because it sounds like you think they should have been "OK" with their dad because he 'loved' them even though he abused you and traumatized them.  You didn't see that he was abusing them too, but in a different way.

Elaine and I got married after five years. I invited both my girls, but they never replied. Yes, that hurts. But an invite is not a summons. I have a grandson I’ve never met. Sad, but you 'gave up' on them. I have learned I can become accustomed to hurt better than to hope. Again, where is your ownership? My oldest daughter’s stepson is apparently gay, which has thrown her for a loop. She’s reached out and asked to “reconcile,” but her language is very precise and professional. It’s not an apology. I want one. She's trying, and it may be costing her.  Isn't reaching out the first step?  Furthermore, you don't get to dictate an apology. Does this make me a bad mother? Loaded question and honestly one that cannot be answered unless you change your future actions. And there is no 'one' answer. We all fail as parents sometimes, but it's how we change, grow, and evolve the relationship.   I love my girls, but I’m not so sure about the women they’ve become. Where. Is. Your. Ownership? I stayed with their father because he never hurt them, and I couldn’t afford to support them on my own. I was faithful his whole life. EXCUSES! If you can't see that, you'll never have the relationship you want to try to have with your daughters. Elaine is my support and my soulmate. I love her. I am not going to apologize for that even for my girls. You shouldn't have to, however that's totally beside the point.  How do I move on from here?  You need some counseling.  Your kids need counseling too, but they're adults...so the 'making them' ship has sailed.  You need to learn that you cannot change the past, you cannot compel forgiveness, and how to own the shit you need to own and that you cannot control anyone else's reactions to you. 

—Waiting for an Apology

• LW needs all kinds of time to talk to a therapist because that apology is never going to come and wonderful as Elaine is, this is one for some chair time...  What was Prudie's response?