Wedding Woes

Fri-Yay!!

We made it. Happy Friday friends! 

Just getting through the day then checking into hotel for the weekend! So ready to relax, sleep whenever I want, catch up on some reading, and basically do whatever I want to. 

What’s everyone got planned for the weekend? 

Re: Fri-Yay!!

• It's almost the weekend! 

I have to have an internal meeting and then try to explain to a customer why we're the experts in this field and we shouldn't be told what materials to use in our construction - nicely of course.   

Tomorrow Chiquito was supposed to go to a birthday party and the dad texted last night and said that their son is in the hospital with respiratory issues that I assume are related to the cancer.   I spoke briefly with DH last night and just felt so bad for the family, their son and how hard everything must be when what could be a cold for the average person means a 30 minute ride to the hospital and overnight stays.   My heart aches. 

Chiquita woke up with a sore throat that I think is due to post-nasal drip.   I promised her tortellini soup tonight and tomorrow we will eat Chinese food with the ILs.   They never eat it so figuring out what to consume should be interesting.   
  • Your weekend sounds like my weekend @charlotte989875!  @VarunaTT happy anniversary.  I love that you two work on you guys a lot

So I saw another add for stitch fix and caved, since clothes shopping isn’t so bad any more :) I put in my preferences that I wasn’t a fan of jeans because I can never find a pair that fits, so why bother?  But my stylist threw a pair in and I’m in love.  She even wrote “give these a try, they’re the perfect fit!” and she was right.  Vigoss shasta bootcut if you’re wondering.  I love the styles of my tops too (all but 1), and one is just way to short for me.  She did good though! I moved my shipments from every 3 to every 2 months. 

Any other Stitch Fixers?

• Varuna - Happy Anniversary!  You two both work hard at your relationship because you both prioritize it!  Enjoy your fun at the hotel!

Charmed - I'm not a Stitch Fixer, but I'm so glad that you found a pair of jeans that you love!  

H is determined to get DDs ceiling fan up this weekend.  The only hard part should be trying to run the wire from the attic to the light switch, which H wants to do the hard way!  He doesn't want to replace the box, if he can help it and we will need to try and fish the wire down from the attic into the box.  Getting it into the box will be the hard part!  I'm hoping he will give up quick and we can just remove the box and install a new one!

Sunday we have a family dinner with Hs family.  It is MILs Christmas gift to us all.
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited January 2020
    Grocery shopping and putting together our mud room.

I bought some bookcases from Ikea and hopefully what I’ve envisioned comes to light. 

I want hibachi so bad and I’m going to try and convince H we need to get lunch there tomorrow 😊  
  • Your weekend sounds like my weekend @charlotte989875!  @VarunaTT happy anniversary.  I love that you two work on you guys a lot

So I saw another add for stitch fix and caved, since clothes shopping isn’t so bad any more :) I put in my preferences that I wasn’t a fan of jeans because I can never find a pair that fits, so why bother?  But my stylist threw a pair in and I’m in love.  She even wrote “give these a try, they’re the perfect fit!” and she was right.  Vigoss shasta bootcut if you’re wondering.  I love the styles of my tops too (all but 1), and one is just way to short for me.  She did good though! I moved my shipments from every 3 to every 2 months. 

Any other Stitch Fixers?
    I used to have a subscription, but opted out to save money. 

I’ve never been disappointed in a box I was sent. I hope you like it! 

• Any other Stitch Fixers?
    I have thought about it so many times.  I have other friends who've loved it too.  I should just take the plunge, my wardrobe gets so boring b/c I love clothes, I just hate shopping.  :D
  • @VarunaTT Happy anniversary!

@CharmedPam I used to get Stitch Fix but stopped to save money. I loved everything they sent and I even got my all time favorite pair of jeans out of it. They were WAY more expensive than I ever would've picked out on my own but H convinced me to keep them because they fit so well. I'm glad I did because it's been almost 3 years later and they have stayed in constant rotation. Definitely worth the money. 

It feels so weird to think that this is the last weekend that it will just be H and I. We moved our dinner out to last night and I didn't realize how much we needed it until we got home. Looking forward to our weekend plans and enjoying our last little bit of pre-baby life!
  • Oh wow, I’ll have to check out google flights then because I also love Hopper.  Refresh my memory.  You’re going alone, right?
    @VarunaTT, the most your out is $20 for the styling fee IF you don’t chose anything.  Otherwise it gets applied to the purchase.  I googled the jean price and there are no mark ups.

• Happy anniversary Varuna! 

I'm so glad it's the weekend, and I'm ready to go home. We had a 2.5 hour meeting this morning. 

My mom is driving down today. We're going dress shopping tomorrow for my parents' vow renewal. Then I'm taking her out for lunch for her birthday. 

Saturday night we're doing game night at my friend's house. Also, my BIL is coming to visit again. 
  • Happy anniversary @VarunaTT

TGIF. I worked from 7:30-6:20 yesterday. I came in early today again to work on a project. I’m ready for the weekend. We’re having hibachi on Sunday for FMIL’s bday and I’m excited. I’ve been doing really good on my diet/eating healthy (down 5 lbs today from the start of the year!) and I’m starting to see some small results so a little cheat day would be nice. I’m trying to grapple with the reality that drinking is one of my worst weight enemies. I only drink once or twice a week, but I’ve been doing dry January and getting my weight back on track has been noticeably impacted by it. I want to be in denial but it’s pretty obvious. 

• CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2020
    I went with my friend to Vienna and Prague and it was excellent.  I’m low maintenance and pretty much did all things she suggested although she did go through a crypt with me.  But I do tend to stop during the day to eat a lot (I eat smaller portions but more frequent) and I had a feeling my “I need to eat!” irritated her, she hasn’t asked to go anywhere else again. 
    Edit: chose Varuna, she already has the plug converters! 

• @CharmedPam, @VarunaTT, Oh, make no mistake.  It will be a food adventure.  That is my favorite part of traveling, lol.

This is me: "What do you mean Norwegian cruise lines, that I can only bring 1 liter of alcohol back to the US?  Why is the US mean like that?  I want at least one bottle of wine per country.  And you take it from me to put in storage before I get back on the ship?  So I can't even enjoy it and finish it off while I'm on the ship?"

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • CharmedPam, VarunaTT, Oh, make no mistake.  It will be a food adventure.  That is my favorite part of traveling, lol.

This is me: "What do you mean Norwegian cruise lines, that I can only bring 1 liter of alcohol back to the US?  Why is the US mean like that?  I want at least one bottle of wine per country.  And you take it from me to put in storage before I get back on the ship?  So I can't even enjoy it and finish it off while I'm on the ship?"

Wait.  Really?  They take your stuff and put it in storage?  Why can't you have it in your room?  Can you ship it home before heading back to the ship?
  • CharmedPam, VarunaTT, Oh, make no mistake.  It will be a food adventure.  That is my favorite part of traveling, lol.

Wait.  Really?  They take your stuff and put it in storage?  Why can't you have it in your room?  Can you ship it home before heading back to the ship?
    IDK about the storage, but not all states will allow you to ship alcohol to them and not all states will allow you to ship alcohol from them without having a specific license, b/c the damned Puritans and Prohibition are still hanging around.. There are weird rules about it.  I had this problem in trying to ship from AZ to MO, though I think it was on AZ's end, b/c I've had an aunt ship to me in MO from CA b/c she can't ship to OK.  And I used to have a sweet sweet beer hookup from CA from WW that would send me all the lovely beers from San Diego.
  • VarunaTT said:
    CharmedPam, VarunaTT, Oh, make no mistake.  It will be a food adventure.  That is my favorite part of traveling, lol.

IDK about the storage, but not all states will allow you to ship alcohol to them and not all states will allow you to ship alcohol from them without having a specific license, b/c the damned Puritans and Prohibition are still hanging around.. There are weird rules about it.  I had this problem in trying to ship from AZ to MO, though I think it was on AZ's end, b/c I've had an aunt ship to me in MO from CA b/c she can't ship to OK.  And I used to have a sweet sweet beer hookup from CA from WW that would send me all the lovely beers from San Diego.
    Oh the Blue laws are a pain in the ass.

In CT we only recently could buy alcohol after 8 PM and on Sundays.   Previously it was only until 8 and M-Sat and not on a federal holiday.   So if the 4th of July was a Friday you were SOL.   You can get beer only in a grocery store and wine and spirits must be purchased in a liquor store or package store. 

And distributor laws are also a pain.   A brewery-owning friend had to fight proposed legislation by the distributor lobby that wanted to tell brewery owners how much they were allowed to sell to the end user with a cap on what was allowed.   It's like creating a law for pizza places saying how many pies they can sell.

@short+sassy can you check to see if you can ship from the countries to your home in the US if you were interested in 1/2 to full cases? 
  • VarunaTT said:

SIB

In Indiana we just recently became able to buy alcohol on Sundays. We are one of the states that is difficult to have alcohol shipped here. I was told so that it doesn't infringe on distributor's agreements. If a winery/brewery/distillery are big enough they can't ship here. Small ones can. We have a wine club from Oregon (which I love!) that can ship here, but the one literally across the street from them can't. We were members there and had it shipped to DD in Chicago. It got to be too much of a hassle. It is such a pain to fall in love with a winery then not be able to ship bottles home!

• There liquor laws sound like a nightmare. I love CA. 

Yeeaahhh.  I don't know why I can't have it in my stateroom.  They give some legal explanation.  But I think it actually boils down to "we want you to buy bottles of wine onboard at our exorbitant prices".  That's okay, though.  I could choose a free "perk" with my booking and I chose the free beer/wine/cocktails options.  Though I had to pre-pay $128 for the tips that go to bar staff.

I wouldn't want to pay to ship bottles home.  I suspect that would be expensive.  But I don't think I'd be allowed to anyway.  I'm pretty sure Louisiana is one of those states, that you all are talking about.  I know it's always listed as a prohibited state for those wine or beer clubs.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2020
    VarunaTT said:

SIB

In Indiana we just recently became able to buy alcohol on Sundays. We are one of the states that is difficult to have alcohol shipped here. I was told so that it doesn't infringe on distributor's agreements. If a winery/brewery/distillery are big enough they can't ship here. Small ones can. We have a wine club from Oregon (which I love!) that can ship here, but the one literally across the street from them can't. We were members there and had it shipped to DD in Chicago. It got to be too much of a hassle. It is such a pain to fall in love with a winery then not be able to ship bottles home!

I had to send my pineapple wine from Maui to BIL/SIL in Cincy because I couldn't ship it home.  I hate our laws that are just there because someone took money from some lobbyist.  Also, I think the noon to 8pm Sunday sales limitation is so, so stupid.  I have to do time math if my planned shopping day is Sunday so I'm at the check out after the clock strikes noon, but I also want to be at the store before church lets out. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    VarunaTT said:

SIB

I had to send my pineapple wine from Maui to BIL/SIL in Cincy because I couldn't ship it home.  I hate our laws that are just there because someone took money from some lobbyist.  Also, I think the noon to 8pm Sunday sales limitation is so, so stupid.  I have to do time math if my planned shopping day is Sunday so I'm at the check out after the clock strikes noon, but I also want to be at the store before church lets out. 
    At least we can now buy alcohol on Sunday! I grew up in NC and it was always after noon there so it is what I was use to when I moved here. I could believe you couldn't buy alcohol on Sundays or cold beer at all! And I thought NC had tight laws (they do have state run liquor stores for hard liquor).
  • I seriously forget you can buy on Sundays now since I don't ever buy alcohol. I remember several times when I was younger having friends ask if I had a stash because they needed some for a football watch party and of course you couldn't buy. I still remember leaving a case of beer out on my porch for a friend because I was going somewhere but he knew I had a lot LOL