Wedding Woes

Tuesday.

Happy Tuesday friends. The floors are done!! I was too tired last night to take pictures but they look super cool.  The boards all took on different shades once we put the polyurethane on, but I think they look great.

Re: Tuesday.

• Chiquita is upright today!  

She's still hacking but I hope we've turned a corner. 

I'm still taking tamiflu and holy moly is it a pain to negotiate with a 5 yo to take his medicine.   I wound up putting chocolate syrup in his dose this morning.  

5 days until DH's birthday party.   I'm going to need more lotion and Lysol wipes but I hope we can make it. 
  • My dog is in the ICU at a university hospital, so I'm hating today.  Anyone else had any experience with potential auto-immune diseases in dogs?  I had no idea how fast they can onset.  
    Other than that, regular day I suppose.  

• Charlotte - Yay for new floors!

Kerbohl - I hope they figure out the problem with your puppers quick!

Banana - Keeping everything crossed for you!  

DD had a cough that went from 2 to about a 10 from Friday to Sunday.  So I stayed home with her yesterday and took her to the doctor.  Its only a respitory infection, so we are just treating with cough medicine and nebulizer treatments.  She is otherwise ok and back to daycare today.

Our weekend went well!  We got DDs ceiling fan put together and hung up.  H still needs to hook up the electrical wire in the attic, but otherwise, DDs room is done!  We probably won't get too much done this coming weekend, but H will hook up the electrical wire for DDs room and start to run the next wire over to our bedroom.  I didn't think we would have 1 room done by the end of January, so this is big!

Sunday we had dinner with the ILs.  It was MILs Christmas gift to us.  MIL did not tip enough, though BIL had her tipping the right amount and then SIL said no, the waitress didn't deserve 20%.  She did disappear a few times and was caught chatting at the bar instead of getting drink refills (soda).  But MIL then took too much of a tip off and I just HATE when she tips like shit.  I also didn't have any money I could have stuffed in the folio, which I needs to start remembering to do.
  • @OliveOIlsMom, back in my single days, I went on a first date with a guy who tipped $3 on a $35 check, smh.  I hadn't seen the check at that point, but knew $3 was not enough.  I played it off with, "You were so sweet to take me out to dinner!  Let me get the tip."  I had no interest in a second date for a variety of reasons.  But being stingy on the tip was definitely one of them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @kerbohl hugs to you and your dog, hope things are ok

@short+sassy why do those cats not usually have tails? 

@OliveOilsMom is SIL the bad tipper or MIL? Seems crazy SIL saying that would change what she left since she was ok with the amount at first. Yuck.
  • Such good news @VarunaTT.  You deserve to be happy!
    @short+sassy that cat is the cutest! Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

• MIL was in the process of tipping $30, which is what BIL said.  Then SIL piped in that she didn't deserve 20%, more like 15%.  SIL was trying to figure out that 15%, when MIL just decided to tip $20.  I just wanted to get the hell out of there because this isn't the first time MIL tipped terribly.  I think I've documented the various times here before! But the final amount tipped was all on MIL.
  • MIL was in the process of tipping $30, which is what BIL said.  Then SIL piped in that she didn't deserve 20%, more like 15%.  SIL was trying to figure out that 15%, when MIL just decided to tip $20.  I just wanted to get the hell out of there because this isn't the first time MIL tipped terribly.  I think I've documented the various times here before! But the final amount tipped was all on MIL.
    That’s super frustrating. I hate bad tippers. H used to be a bad ripper but got so tired of me arguing with him that he’s come around to my tipping ways. 
  • She’s adorable @short+sassy!! I hope you get to bring her home; does she have a name?

All the good thoughts for your dog @kerbohl!
  • Yikes! 

Tip your waitstaff people!  I spoke with the bartender who is in charge of ordering the food for this weekend.   I specifically asked how the tips are done because I want to make sure that I'm all set.   They include the tip on the food and then I need to add it to the bar tab.  I don't want to be a stingy guest!

This is what's now occupying my local news feed: 
    How many of you are familiar with the case of Michelle Dulos who has been missing since before Memorial Day last year?  Her estranged H Fotis was charged (along with his GF) with evidence tampering in June of 2019 and earlier this month they were arrested for murder (along with Fotis' former civil attorney).   Michelle's body has not been located.   The rumor is that there was too much blood found for her to be alive.

Well, today there was supposed to be a hearing to discuss the terms of his bail and house arrest and Fotis was found to be dead by suicide in his home.  

I'm glued to the local updates watching to see what's going on and feel terribly for their children who now grow up with no parents.  

• congrats on the quick sale @MyNameIsNot that's awesome to have so many showings and offers so quickly
  • It's been crazy here. I'm so happy to finally have a WFH day, but it's still been busy. Last Thursday we finally put our house on the market after finishing some work. I was shocked. By Friday at noon, there were 12 scheduled showings on top of the open house. We ended up getting multiple offers and going under contract on Saturday. So that was awesome, but also really kicked us into gear to get into the next place! We spent all day Saturday and Sunday looking at places. There was one that we wanted to make an offer, but it was going to be a bidding war and it was already at the top of the budget. So project #1 this week is to find another house!

Other than that, nothing much. I'll be 40 next weekend. I'm trying to digest that. Some of our friends are throwing a party for me on Saturday, although it's really just an excuse to have an adult party. I'm looking forward to seeing them, but I'm really not feeling driving over there and having people fawn over me. Bah humbug. Hopefully there will be cake at least. My real birthday celebration is the beach in 2 weeks. I'm counting down the days for that one. 
    For some reason I took 40 better than 30.  I thought life was over as I knew it at 30. 

• @short+sassy That is one adorable looking cat!  I hope you hear back soon!

• kvruns said:
    @short+sassy why do those cats not usually have tails? 
    They have a shortened spine.  Oddly enough, the tailless gene in cats is the dominant one.  In normal cat populations, you'll occasionally have a cat born without a tail.  But, since most cats have tails, the tailless gene does not prevail.

However, the Isle of Man (off the coast of England) has had lots of manx cats since (I think) the mid 1800s.  The suspicion is that a tailless cat ended up there from a ship.  And, in the closed cat population that you'll find on an island, that dominant tailless gene won out.

Manx is a breed.  This breed also tends to have round faces and round bodies, with powerful back legs.  They often have a double coat.  They come in all colors and can have short or long fur.  But their most famous trait is no tail or a stub tail.  With that said, they can also have more typical long tails, though even then the tails are often 1/2-1/3 shorter than an average cat.

For people who breed Manxes, it's actually very important there are tailed Manxes included.  If there are too many generations of tailless, the spine will become too shortened and the kittens don't survive.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2020
    She’s adorable @short+sassy!! I hope you get to bring her home; does she have a name?

All the good thoughts for your dog @kerbohl!
    Her name is currently Maple and she has a brother named Birch.  Her brother is adorable also, but my H doesn't want a male cat.

However, we would probably name her something else.  Though we are not sure what.  Nothing wrong with the name Maple.  It just doesn't "speak" to us.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    I don't tip less than 18%, even if I feel the service wasn't the greatest.  Also, there are so few things servers can control.   I mean if they were chatting at the register or bar, they could have been communicating information to their co-worker even if it looks casual or friendly. 

I just saw the update on the Dulos case.  I saw it was an attempt, but apparently it was successful.  :/   Poor kids. 

Mom might get sprung today, but she's going home with IV antibiotics, home healthcare, plus physical and occupational therapy. DefConn has apparently boarded the struggle bus re: mom today.  His SpEd teacher called and there were some tough moments at recess. :(

Yay floors, Charlotte. Cute cat S+S.  Sending all the lysol vibes, Banana.  And I am so, so happy for your happiness Varuna.  <3 

I would have to see seriously egregiously terrible service to tip poorly.   

Now they are reporting that he was taken to the hospital w/ a pulse but another station said they did CPR for 10 minutes.   If that's the case I assume it's not all that good but I'm hitting refresh on the browser like crazy. 
  • banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    I don't tip less than 18%, even if I feel the service wasn't the greatest.  Also, there are so few things servers can control.   I mean if they were chatting at the register or bar, they could have been communicating information to their co-worker even if it looks casual or friendly. 

I just saw the update on the Dulos case.  I saw it was an attempt, but apparently it was successful.  :/   Poor kids. 

Mom might get sprung today, but she's going home with IV antibiotics, home healthcare, plus physical and occupational therapy. DefConn has apparently boarded the struggle bus re: mom today.  His SpEd teacher called and there were some tough moments at recess. :(

Yay floors, Charlotte. Cute cat S+S.  Sending all the lysol vibes, Banana.  And I am so, so happy for your happiness Varuna.  <3 

Now they are reporting that he was taken to the hospital w/ a pulse but another station said they did CPR for 10 minutes.   If that's the case I assume it's not all that good but I'm hitting refresh on the browser like crazy. 
    Agreed.  

Did you see in the case of those missing Idaho kids that they found the mom and her new H in Hawaii?  Still no sign of the kids though.  :( 
  • banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I started following this after you told us about it and it’s just horrible all around. I just feel so awful for those children, they’re old enough to know what’s going on. 
  • Yay for all the happiness @VarunaTT!! 

@MyNameIsNot Did you get the price you were asking for with all of those offers? That’s fantastic! Are you all looking in the same area or moving somewhere else? 
  • banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I started following this after you told us about it and it’s just horrible all around. I just feel so awful for those children, they’re old enough to know what’s going on. 
    Yes.  The only consolation is I think they're living in NYC and far enough away that they don't "see" this but it's in the news.   They have to be aware.  

I cannot imagine waking up in the morning, not knowing where my mom is, and thinking that my father may be the reason she is dead.   I think they live with their maternal grandparents and the grandparents are financially capable of raising them and I HOPE they are getting great therapy.   
  • What do you guys think of this?  I really have no idea why they decided on this.  It looks like they’re tying the mens shoes though, not really a BJ as speculated....?

https://ruinmyweek.com/reddit/handmaids-tale-wedding-photo-fail/?utm_content=bufferf51c1&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=tfln&utm_campaign=ooo

• Poor tipping is the worst.

SSDD.  Moving into planning mode for H's bday party, which is mixed with the Superbowl. 
  • What do you guys think of this?  I really have no idea why they decided on this.  It looks like they’re tying the mens shoes though, not really a BJ as speculated....?

https://ruinmyweek.com/reddit/handmaids-tale-wedding-photo-fail/?utm_content=bufferf51c1&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=tfln&utm_campaign=ooo
    I started doing some Googling, b/c the wedding dress in that photo is an old wedding dress.  Like David's Bridal or Alfred Angelo, late 90s, early 00s.  I can't find the OG, but it's a terrible picture, no matter what the hell they're trying to do.
  • MyNameIsNotMyNameIsNot member
    First Comment First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited January 2020
    It's been crazy here. I'm so happy to finally have a WFH day, but it's still been busy. Last Thursday we finally put our house on the market after finishing some work. I was shocked. By Friday at noon, there were 12 scheduled showings on top of the open house. We ended up getting multiple offers and going under contract on Saturday. So that was awesome, but also really kicked us into gear to get into the next place! We spent all day Saturday and Sunday looking at places. There was one that we wanted to make an offer, but it was going to be a bidding war and it was already at the top of the budget. So project #1 this week is to find another house!

Other than that, nothing much. I'll be 40 next weekend. I'm trying to digest that. Some of our friends are throwing a party for me on Saturday, although it's really just an excuse to have an adult party. I'm looking forward to seeing them, but I'm really not feeling driving over there and having people fawn over me. Bah humbug. Hopefully there will be cake at least. My real birthday celebration is the beach in 2 weeks. I'm counting down the days for that one. 
    For some reason I took 40 better than 30.  I thought life was over as I knew it at 30. 
    Ha, I had horrible food poisoning on my 30th. I hope it goes better than that! 

@mrsconn23 Agree with you about tipping. And even if they are just chatting, one of the things I learned waiting tables is that having a friendly relationship with your coworkers helps you do your job better. Just like friendly chatting with the receptionist at the office about her weekend helps you get a conference room, chatting with the bartender can help you get your drinks faster or whatever favor helps you be a better server. 

@charlotte989875 Over asking :). But that's the market right now. We're staying in the same general area, but about 5 miles further into the city will cut about 30 minutes off our commutes, so in we go. (But it's more expensive, for obvious reasons.)