Wedding Woes

Tuesday

The weather is back to grey and crappy.  Lame.

I dyed DefConn's hair blue last night.  It turned out OK, but I think I need to re-do a few parts of it. He went back to school today.  He has no fever, just mild cold symptoms.  We'll see if he stays the day or not.  

I need to go shopping for a dress for my work party tomorrow.  I may also look on Amazon and see what's available via Prime.  I have a back-up dress if necessary.  

Mom is just doing fantastically since leaving the hospital.  Her appetite is up and she's feeling great overall.  I can't get over how 'normal' she is.  This has been 4 or so months in the making.  It sucks that she had to feel like shit for so long, culminating in an ICU stay, but we'll all take it. <3 

Other than that SSDD Tuesday. 

Re: Tuesday

• It is grey here too. Rain today, rain tomorrow night, rain Thursday, rain Friday. Is it crazy that I actually want snow? What a strange winter. 
  • @mrsconn23 what kinda blue did it turn out? {dark, light, etc}
    Yay for Mama!

Mild day like yesterday. We're in for some snow. I'm ready for spring with this.

Been trying to find ways to cut spending. We found a great house and it JUST got off the market yesterday :( M's old coworker is selling it, so if we'd known he was in for selling we would have tried to ask him for a year if he could.
    This is the house.
    https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/21505098/11-robarts-crescent-ottawa-katimavik

We were literally trying to find flaws in it lmao
    Which we did find!
    Front hall - super long to get to coats. Would have to put a mat down the entire way.
    Living room - weird layout. Would have to buy new couch as ours would not fit well.
    Main level - paint. That's same colour as our current walls and I hate it. M thinks it's painted white now.
    Kitchen - not a fan of cupboard colour. I feel it doesn't go well with counter tops.
    Upstairs - side rooms aren't huge. BabyKitten's room would be rather small :(

Would need to buy a lawn mower, shed and snowblower.

But we're really nitpicking on stuff. The area is nice. Not far from where we are not, but busing would suck for me. We'd keep BabyKitten in her current daycare, but the school I prefer.
    School in our area isn't bad, just known for crowding.

So irked! Price is also ideal for upgrade.
  • It is grey here too. Rain today, rain tomorrow night, rain Thursday, rain Friday. Is it crazy that I actually want snow? What a strange winter. 
    I'm a fan of the 4 seasons.   This is supposed to be an area that has them so PLEASE let's have snow in February and not in April? 

We have SO much leftover food (and I sure as hell am not telling DH how much I spent on his party) so now I need to eat it all.  

Chiquito woke up this  morning and started talking about how he's going to plan his indoor recess.   It was pretty cute. 
  • I think it's grey here too, but I'm stuck in my cubicle and not near a window!  I'm back from my work trip to FL and am tired. The weather wasn't as warm as we were hoping but it was mid-high 60s so warmer than home.  My hotel room was ocean front and I never get tired of being near the water.

Sunday I made taco soup for the Super Bowl.  It's a long-time tradition since my single days.  Tonight we are having dinner with friends who are in from out of town.  Normal stuff the rest of the week.

I leave for my next (and last) work trip early Sunday morning (5 AM flight - what was I thinking?!?) to Arizona.  I did take the Monday off after I get back to recuperate.

@mrsconn23 - I'm glad your Mom is having great days!

• banana468 said:
    It is grey here too. Rain today, rain tomorrow night, rain Thursday, rain Friday. Is it crazy that I actually want snow? What a strange winter. 
    I'm a fan of the 4 seasons.   This is supposed to be an area that has them so PLEASE let's have snow in February and not in April
    Bolded.
  • Gray and rainy here too. I was at work until after midnight last night and back at 8:30 this morning. It’s a struggle. I want a nap. I also want people to stop talking in my office because I have a lack is sleep headache and we have a stupid open office floor plan. 

I’m looking forward to taco Tuesday and going to sleep at 7pm tonight! 
  • banana468 said:
    It is grey here too. Rain today, rain tomorrow night, rain Thursday, rain Friday. Is it crazy that I actually want snow? What a strange winter. 
    I'm a fan of the 4 seasons.   This is supposed to be an area that has them so PLEASE let's have snow in February and not in April? 

We have SO much leftover food (and I sure as hell am not telling DH how much I spent on his party) so now I need to eat it all.  

Chiquito woke up this  morning and started talking about how he's going to plan his indoor recess.   It was pretty cute. 
    How did the party go? Did your H have a good time? (Sorry if I missed this yesterday!)
  • It’s super cold here today (for us So Cal pansies). I got to work and the “feels like” temperature is 28 degrees. And all I have is my workout sweater. I’m sure the actual office will be stifling though. It feels like a Wednesday. It’s a little unfair it’s only Tuesday. 

@mrsconn23 I’m so glad to hear your mom is doing better. 

• We got home yesterday from being with the grandboys. Had fun with them. They are at such a cute age - saying Nana and Papa, running to us to hug - nothing is better than that ( @mobkaz you were so right on that). Worked out this morning and did a quick clean of the DR and LR since I have a decorator- friend coming over tomorrow to help pick upholstery fabric.

I've also been perusing gift cards for food to send to our neighbor's daughter and her husband. They live out east so thought food gift cards would be useful. Our neighbors will be there for the for-seeable future but I know she doesn't like to cook (our neighbor not the daughter). Have any of you bought Grubhub gift cards? It looks like there are a decent number of restaurants in their area that do Grubhub. If they lived here, I would set up a MealTrain. Any other recommendations y'all would have for food delivery?
  • banana468 said:

How did the party go? Did your H have a good time? (Sorry if I missed this yesterday!)
    It went REALLY well! 

DH is not someone who wants to get himself psyched up or be exposed to a group screaming "SURPRISE!" at him.  He has anxiety issues and that only exacerbates it.   So I tried to give him some info bit by bit. 

By Saturday afternoon MIL and FIL picked up the kids.  Then I turned to DH and said, "So the fridge on the bed needs to be moved in case we have overnight guests."  That at least made him smirk and know that we had some guests driving a decent distance. 

I told him where it was (the local Irish pub in town - yes THAT one @missJeanLouise and that I told friends it started at 7.   We left the house at 7 and were the first ones there.   He saw that the room was decorated with a happy birthday banner and the decorations I'd dropped off the day before.   He was smiling and happily surprised.   The food was laid out and I told him what it was and then after we ordered drinks guests started to arrive.   It was at that point I told him one of his oldest friends made the drive up from DC and he was really happy.

Friends ate and drank and it was very nice.   It wasn't loud or a huge drunken thing and just was nice - pretty damn perfect in his taste.

Yesterday was his real birthday.   I assembled a bar cart and wrapped engraved high ball glasses and a bottle of Jefferson's Ocean that were waiting for him when he came home.   We had a nice dinner of rack of lamb and Carvel cake.   Delicious! 
  • @banana468 as someone who also hates surprises and gets anxiety at similar situations, I like the way you told him. So he knew things were in the works but not overly detailed :)
    Glad it all worked out!
  • glad the party went well and he enjoyed himself @banana468
  • Glad to hear that your mom is doing well @mrsconn23
    It is gray here and warm for Canada.  My rabbits love this weather - they can play in the snow but not be too cold.
    The vet confirmed that my dog is coming home tonight!  It's a bit of a trial run, but she's well enough that they think she will be fine at home as long as I monitor her.  I was planning to go into the office for the next two days, but fortunately I have the option to stay working at home, so I'm going to just be watching her like a hawk.

• kerbohl said:
    Glad to hear that your mom is doing well @mrsconn23
    It is gray here and warm for Canada.  My rabbits love this weather - they can play in the snow but not be too cold.
    The vet confirmed that my dog is coming home tonight!  It's a bit of a trial run, but she's well enough that they think she will be fine at home as long as I monitor her.  I was planning to go into the office for the next two days, but fortunately I have the option to stay working at home, so I'm going to just be watching her like a hawk.
    So glad she can finally come home!! 
  • @mrsconn23, glad to hear your mom is feeling so much better!

@MissKittyDanger, I'm sorry the house just went under contract!  I had something weird like that happen when I was buying my first home.  It was a down market...really, really down...for sellers.  I requested a showing for a house that had been on the market for over 6 months.  It had just gone under contract the day before, lol.  Let the old coworker know if you all haven't already.  Especially still this early in the process, it might fall out of contract.

@ILoveBeachMusic, I saw the post the other day about your neighbor's daughter.  I'm so sorry the family is going through that.  I've used Grubhub a couple times, but never bought a gift card.  I think that sounds like a nice and useful gift.

@banana468, I'm glad the party and the birthday itself went so well!  Sounds like it was fun.

OMG, time is flying by too much.  My H is in a walking parade on Sat. called Krewe de Vieux.  Pronounced like Crew da Voo and almost more said like it's one word.   I've been in "it's a few weeks away" mode for the longest time.  It didn't hit me until yesterday that it is a few days away ((panic!)).  There is a themed costume ball after the parade that my H and I are going to.

He's already been working on his costume.  He'll be wearing it during the parade.  I have a sock monkey costume (where is it? does it still fit me?) that I was going to add accoutrements to, to go with the theme.  That I'll be wearing as a spectator of the parade, lol.  But any of those accoutrement items, I will probably need to get on Amazon.  So I need to figure all this out TONIGHT!  Except I won't be getting home until about 8PM.  GD it (sigh).

FYI, this particular Krewe prides itself on being raunchy and irreverent.  It wouldn't normally be our thing, but we have a close friend who LOVES this krewe.  But something like didn't feel he could live up to his membership this year, so he asked my H to step in for him to "hold" his spot.  There is normally a waiting list to be a member of this friend's "sub" krewe.

Telling you all that to lead up to the main Krewe theme this year is Erection 2020.  And the "sub" krewe theme is Dumpster Fire.  So I can lean my sock monkey costume to either election related stuff or fire/firefighter stuff.  Ooohhh!  Maybe I'll order a Trump apron and draw char marks and little flames on it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We got home yesterday from being with the grandboys. Had fun with them. They are at such a cute age - saying Nana and Papa, running to us to hug - nothing is better than that ( @mobkaz you were so right on that). Worked out this morning and did a quick clean of the DR and LR since I have a decorator- friend coming over tomorrow to help pick upholstery fabric.

I've also been perusing gift cards for food to send to our neighbor's daughter and her husband. They live out east so thought food gift cards would be useful. Our neighbors will be there for the for-seeable future but I know she doesn't like to cook (our neighbor not the daughter). Have any of you bought Grubhub gift cards? It looks like there are a decent number of restaurants in their area that do Grubhub. If they lived here, I would set up a MealTrain. Any other recommendations y'all would have for food delivery?
    As they get older, the heart tugs almost as much when they MUST call or FaceTime because they "just have to tell Grammy" about ............".  Be still my heart!
    Although it might seem far away in their world, at some point your neighbor's DD and SIL will have to take steps toward trying to regain some normalcy.  Along with restaurant gift cards, or gift cards to food stores that specialize in "ready to go" meals, a movie theater gift card might be well received.  This couple may (understandably) have a hard time resuming typical activities without a "nudge", and a gift card to an "activity" may help promote that to a small degree.  Finding a reason to "get out of the house" might be easier if they have something to facilitate that thought ....when they are ready to do so.

• @MobKaz, the boys already get their little toy phone from the kitchen and hand it to DD and say Nana! She then Facetimes us! They learn so quickly. 

Yes, thank you for the idea of something for them to do outside the house. I know they had a strong church community here and hope they do so where they live now. I know that too can be so helpful when trying to regain some normalcy. My cousin lost his son in a car accident and has said many times that he couldn't have gotten through that first year without their church family.
  • @banana468 that's where I want to have all my birthdays too. 😍 We have pub on the golf course here that reminds me of it but no one here makes a bloody half as good.