Wedding Woes

It's THURSDAY!

Re: It's THURSDAY!

• This week has been bananas!  I lurked a few times, but no time to post!  Weekend was good, but its like a blur now!  What did we do???

I've got a rash of some kind right on my wrist.  It started on Monday pretty small, but the 4 blisters seem to keep getting bigger.  I have started to use calamine lotion, but it has only slowed them down!  Last night while I was getting DD into the tub, she accidentally scratch two of them.  That hurt AND they both are still big!  I just hope whatever hit me, didn't transfer onto her.  I'm headed to urgent care at lunch so that they can hopefully give me something for it.

We are having Chinese food tonight and then going shopping at Target and BJs.  We have having dinner for SILs birthday on Saturday, so I need to buy stuff!
  • Varuna - There is an egg substitute stuff that people on the AldiNerds facebook group rave about.  It's called Just, I think.  It cooks up just like scrambled eggs and I believe if good on protein.  It comes in a bottle and kind looks like a bottle of mustard!
  • @MyNameIsNot, congrats on going under contract!  I hope everything works out with the inspection items.

For once, it feels like it's earlier in the week than it actually is.  Not sure why.  But it's fun to keep reminding myself, "Yes!  It really is Thurs.", lol.  I am praying for a relaxed, no-problems weekend.

I do have the parade and then costume ball I am going to on Sat.  I should be getting my "costume" from Amazon today.  As a reminder, it needed to be election and/or fire themed.  I went with a Trump banner that someone would normally hang on their house.  Of all wacky things, lol.  But it was cheaper than aprons.

It's 71" long and I am only 60" tall, lol.  But I am going to fray the bottom and sides with scissors.  And I can also roll up some of the top.  I will then color in with fabric paint some char marks and flames.  Where it says "No More Bullshit" at the top and then has the big Trump name.  I'm also going to put thick duct tape across the word "Bullshit", so it actually reads "No More" Trump.

Here is a link to what the banner looks like before my alterations:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VVN7B6L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love it. 
  • This week has also been a beats for me! H is heading out of town this weekend and I’m catching up on sleep, reading, & hanging out. The weather is gross here today and we’re supposed to get bad weather from now through the weekend. Sounds like a perfect weekend for staying inside! 

Congratulations @MyNameIsNot!! How long is closing typically in your area? 
  • @MyNameIsNot - hopefully everything goes your way! 

I need to meal plan for next week - I have been on an Italian food frenzy. All I want is pasta and meat sauce, but I have to choose other things... I suppose. 

I started my pepper, tomato, and onion seeds last week. I'm hoping to map out the garden in the next month. It's crazy to actually have space and the ability to have the garden I have always dreamed of! 
  • @OliveOilsMom do you still have bum rash stuff? Might be worth trying if you do

@VarunaTT glad the weather lowered. Friggen winter ....

BabyKitten's abilities are just really exploding lately! She can follow direction - easier when part of routine - and is definitely better at understanding lately.
    Evening routine when M gets home with her is take off winter gear, go to kitchen, get pouch and go into living room.
    Not hard, but toddlers are a weird bunch.
    She apparently learned how to buckle top clip on carseat {chest clip} She knows how to unzip her coat/sweater, so when they get home M is taking off his boots and BabyKitten takes off her jacket and sweater and puts them on the bench. Then brings M's boots to the tray one-by-one for him.
    She knows her cupboard where we keep the pouches {like walmart or whatever, screw cap and like apple sauce}
    This morning she went into the kitchen and asked for "pow" and I explained that "pouches are not morning snack. Cheerios are" {easier to remove from her hand while getting her dressed} "Chee! Chee!" So she gets her cup and heads to living room.

When did my baby start really learning things?
    2 sentences she says
    "Hi cat! Hi cat!"
    "He yew go"

Working on "down now" {more announcement than asking tbh}
    "go now"
    "outside"
  • VarunaTT said:
    Our office was closed yesterday because there was a hellacious winter storm warning.  It expired into just winter weather warning early afternoon and we really didn't see anything like that was expected.  Everyone is at work today all, "I can't believe they closed the office."  I've told everyone, STOP saying it that way!  You need to tell the boss how thankful you are that they considered our safety first, even if it ended up being okay, b/c what if it hadn't.  Granted, I think it's BS that I need to be thankful for that, but I've had to drive to/from work in some damn dicey weather and if kissing a little bit of butt will keep that from happening, I'll do it.

Did my official weigh in yesterday and I'm on track.  I'm so glad, I think I would've gotten really discouraged if the scale hadn't budged.  I'm googling some high protein vegan recipes.  Most of my breakfast casseroles have meat in them, but I need that high protein count to feel satisfied to make it to lunch, plus I need something I can premake in bulk and just grab and go.  Not a morning person and definitely not interested in making anything more complicated than coffee before work...and work has a Keurig.  :smile:

This times 1,000! We don't get a lot of winter weather, but we're also not very well prepared for it as a city. A few years ago they closed schools because of forecast, but it ended up being nothing. People complained so much and crapped all over the school districts. So then when there was another forecast a few weeks later, the schools erred on the side of not calling it off. It turned out to be a storm and a huge disaster. Kids were sleeping in schools, people were stuck overnight on highways, it was a mess. 

It's 2020. Nearly everyone with an office job can do something productive from home if you plan ahead. It's stupid to put people at risk when you can just make it a WFH day. 
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2020
    I feel really dumb because I can't figure out how to get my memoji to be my picture on my iphone for sending texts and what not.  FWP, LOL

This weekend is going to be so busy.  We have my work party on Saturday night.  Oh and we're dropping in on the surprise 40th bday of a childhood friend of DH's before we go to the party. 

I have a dress for the party, but I've been shopping for a new one.  I Primed three dresses, but only 1 will be here by tomorrow and I'm hoping the other two show up in the afternoon on Saturday.  This is what I get for pushing it down to the wire.  I still may go out tonight while DH and DefConn are at Boy Scouts if the roads/weather isn't too awful. 

I thought I was going to have more time yesterday to shop, but my dad called me and asked me to take mom to an appt at the last minute.  That turned into a clusterfuck fast, for many reasons.  Mom didn't go the appt and it wasn't eve necessary because she's not been off Rx long enough to have her infection levels tested.  *le sigh*  My dad is going on a trip next week and he honestly needs it.  But while mom is feeling better, we need to try to get dad to realize everything is not on fire right now.  He's making us all batty AF.  He is supposed to go see a counselor when he gets back.  So fingers crossed. 

Mom does have someone to give her a 2nd opinion.  I'm hoping she can do it virtually and I'll probably attend the appt if possible so I can take notes. 

Anyway, Sunday we have Monster Jam with the scouts.  We have pit passes and everything. It's going to be so fun.  After that, I come home to pack up and go over to stay with mom Sunday night. I'm working out of the office Monday because my parent's house is 5 min away.  A family friend is staying with mom next week while dad is gone. 

We watched network TV last night (Masked Singer, which seemed SO ridic when it came out and then I watched it after the Superbowl and damn if I'm not hooked.  It's also right up DefConn's alley) and the 2 hour delays were scrolling on by.  DefConn kept asking if he was getting a delay and was SO PISSED this morning when one wasn't called.  LOL  

• It's 71" long and I am only 60" tall, lol.  But I am going to fray the bottom and sides with scissors.  And I can also roll up some of the top.  I will then color in with fabric paint some char marks and flames.  Where it says "No More Bullshit" at the top and then has the big Trump name.  I'm also going to put thick duct tape across the word "Bullshit", so it actually reads "No More" Trump.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VVN7B6L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I love this. I wish there was a way to rearrange to say something about no more trump bullshit. What was the theme of the party again? Something erotic? 
  • VarunaTT said:
    Our office was closed yesterday because there was a hellacious winter storm warning.  It expired into just winter weather warning early afternoon and we really didn't see anything like that was expected.  Everyone is at work today all, "I can't believe they closed the office."  I've told everyone, STOP saying it that way!  You need to tell the boss how thankful you are that they considered our safety first, even if it ended up being okay, b/c what if it hadn't.  Granted, I think it's BS that I need to be thankful for that, but I've had to drive to/from work in some damn dicey weather and if kissing a little bit of butt will keep that from happening, I'll do it.

Did my official weigh in yesterday and I'm on track.  I'm so glad, I think I would've gotten really discouraged if the scale hadn't budged.  I'm googling some high protein vegan recipes.  Most of my breakfast casseroles have meat in them, but I need that high protein count to feel satisfied to make it to lunch, plus I need something I can premake in bulk and just grab and go.  Not a morning person and definitely not interested in making anything more complicated than coffee before work...and work has a Keurig.  :smile:

This times 1,000! We don't get a lot of winter weather, but we're also not very well prepared for it as a city. A few years ago they closed schools because of forecast, but it ended up being nothing. People complained so much and crapped all over the school districts. So then when there was another forecast a few weeks later, the schools erred on the side of not calling it off. It turned out to be a storm and a huge disaster. Kids were sleeping in schools, people were stuck overnight on highways, it was a mess. 

It's 2020. Nearly everyone with an office job can do something productive from home if you plan ahead. It's stupid to put people at risk when you can just make it a WFH day. 
    I sort of disagree with this but understand that it also hinges upon where you live.  

If you don't have winter weather frequently and lack a public infrastructure equipped to handle it, it's making sense to cancel or you'll have exactly what you cited and kids will be stuck in schools and commutes will be orders of magnitude longer.

But we had experiences locally in December where the schools were cancelled and some parents were giving the local authorities golf claps under the answer of "safety" when the streets were clear by 9 AM for one 2 inch snowfall and then a week later there was RAIN - and only rain.   Of course it's safer to stay home and not leave - but at some point you do need to acknowledge that when you live in an area that has winter there's an expectation that you are not going to cancel every time there's some winter-like experience.

Also, in our area there are several companies that are either government contractors (DH) or pharmaceutical where not everyone can WFH.   DH is not able to WFH as part of his job (although I have a home office - yay!) and his company generally follows the rule of 'open unless the governor closes the highways and local roads.    So when the schools are closed for 2 inches (really - 2 inches) and the answer is "we're doing this for safety" I find myself white knuckled especially when those decisions are going to be putting the kids into school into the 3rd or 4th week of June to make up for the missed school days. 

That said - PLEASE cancel when there's something serious.   I was royally ticked off when my employer in 2012 did not cancel work the day that Superstorm Sandy came through.   Local streets were being closed and homes were being evacuated for tidal surge but sure - let's put in a few extra hours.   

My gripe is mostly to my local authorities. :-) 

• It's 71" long and I am only 60" tall, lol.  But I am going to fray the bottom and sides with scissors.  And I can also roll up some of the top.  I will then color in with fabric paint some char marks and flames.  Where it says "No More Bullshit" at the top and then has the big Trump name.  I'm also going to put thick duct tape across the word "Bullshit", so it actually reads "No More" Trump.

I love this. I wish there was a way to rearrange to say something about no more trump bullshit. What was the theme of the party again? Something erotic? 
    Pretty much.  The main theme is Erection 2020 and the sub-krewe (that my H is marching in) theme is Dumpster Fire.

But, yes, no matter what any particular year's theme is, there are a lot of sexually explicit costumes and floats, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • The trump costume fits perfectly with dumpster fire!
  • @short+sassy I'm can't get an image to work right now for some reason, but if you google "F**k Trump" dress, you'll find an awesome dress a gay designer made in 2017.  If you can find the gif, even better, because she has the "Trump" part tucked between her legs, struts down the catwalk and then reveals it and it's everything I love about fashion.

I have to admit, my veganism is a bit more practical than some people's. Maybe it's the farm girl in me.  I don't have an issue with eggs and honey, for example.  Chickens are going to make eggs and bees are going to make honey (there are a few other animals that make edible byproducts b/c they're those animals) and as long as we strive for humane farming practices, I'm fine with eating them both.  I'm lucky b/c right now I can get my eggs from a friend's backyard gaggle of hens and I can buy honey locally (I've even visited the farm where they come from, which was terrifyingly fun b/c I'm afraid of bees).  I haven't always been able to make that choice, but I'm not going to stop eating eggs or honey.  And mine is mostly for health reasons, rather than philosophical reasons.  I'm really lactose intolerant and being vegan makes it easier to avoid dairy in general.  And I need to defeat this possibility of diabetes and veggies and beans make it way easier than other food groups would.  IOW, there are a lot of vegans out there that would look down their nose at me and that's fine with me.
  • banana468 said:
    VarunaTT said:

I sort of disagree with this but understand that it also hinges upon where you live.  

If you don't have winter weather frequently and lack a public infrastructure equipped to handle it, it's making sense to cancel or you'll have exactly what you cited and kids will be stuck in schools and commutes will be orders of magnitude longer.

But we had experiences locally in December where the schools were cancelled and some parents were giving the local authorities golf claps under the answer of "safety" when the streets were clear by 9 AM for one 2 inch snowfall and then a week later there was RAIN - and only rain.   Of course it's safer to stay home and not leave - but at some point you do need to acknowledge that when you live in an area that has winter there's an expectation that you are not going to cancel every time there's some winter-like experience.

Also, in our area there are several companies that are either government contractors (DH) or pharmaceutical where not everyone can WFH.   DH is not able to WFH as part of his job (although I have a home office - yay!) and his company generally follows the rule of 'open unless the governor closes the highways and local roads.    So when the schools are closed for 2 inches (really - 2 inches) and the answer is "we're doing this for safety" I find myself white knuckled especially when those decisions are going to be putting the kids into school into the 3rd or 4th week of June to make up for the missed school days. 

That said - PLEASE cancel when there's something serious.   I was royally ticked off when my employer in 2012 did not cancel work the day that Superstorm Sandy came through.   Local streets were being closed and homes were being evacuated for tidal surge but sure - let's put in a few extra hours.   

YES!!!  Overall, I like my employer.  But I'm still salty about an incident that happened a few years ago.  Although it is office jobs, most of us here do not have the ability to WFH.  I suspect it is the same totally outside the norm cold front that @MyNameIsNot mentioned.

The temperature dropped below freezing...into the teens...and stayed there for three days straight.  No snow, but everything had a layer of ice.  The greater NOLA area and the roads are not designed for that.  All bridges are closed and we have a lot of them here.  I'd guess 30-50% of my coworkers live on the other side of one.  Buses were only running until about mid-afternoon.  State and local governments were urging people to stay home, unless they absolutely had to go somewhere.

But my employer?  Oh no.  They were at least totally understanding if you chose not to come into the office.  But any time you missed needed to be vacation time or Absent Without Pay (AWOP).

And the thing that ticked me off even a little more is because I know this company budgets for one-week/year to pay employees their salaries if the office is shut down.  It is primarily earmarked for the city calling a mandatory evacuation, in the event of a hurricane.  But still.  For the sake of your employees' safety, don't make them choose between driving on dangerous roads or using vacation time or not getting paid at all.

This was the same weather incident where Atlanta made national news because a Home Depot near a school had set themselves up as an "impromptu" shelter for students and teachers who had gotten stuck there overnight.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • banana468 said:
    VarunaTT said:

YES!!!  Overall, I like my employer.  But I'm still salty about an incident that happened a few years ago.  Although it is office jobs, most of us here do not have the ability to WFH.  I suspect it is the same totally outside the norm cold front that @MyNameIsNot mentioned.

The temperature dropped below freezing...into the teens...and stayed there for three days straight.  No snow, but everything had a layer of ice.  The greater NOLA area and the roads are not designed for that.  All bridges are closed and we have a lot of them here.  I'd guess 30-50% of my coworkers live on the other side of one.  Buses were only running until about mid-afternoon.  State and local governments were urging people to stay home, unless they absolutely had to go somewhere.

But my employer?  Oh no.  They were at least totally understanding if you chose not to come into the office.  But any time you missed needed to be vacation time or Absent Without Pay (AWOP).

And the thing that ticked me off even a little more is because I know this company budgets for one-week/year to pay employees their salaries if the office is shut down.  It is primarily earmarked for the city calling a mandatory evacuation, in the event of a hurricane.  But still.  For the sake of your employees' safety, don't make them choose between driving on dangerous roads or using vacation time or not getting paid at all.

This was the same weather incident where Atlanta made national news because a Home Depot near a school had set themselves up as an "impromptu" shelter for students and teachers who had gotten stuck there overnight.
    Yep, that's the one I'm talking about. Snowpocolypse. The forecast said <1". That's not much snow even for here, but opting not to err on the side of caution turned an inch of snow into a disaster. In the long run, it ended up costing the local governments and businesses much more than it would have to just close for one day. 

I know that not everyone has the capability to completely work from home; I'm saying companies could pre-plan and set it up so that most people could at least do something productive so that it's not such a loss. 
  • They were calling for a huge storm in my area today, but I looked out the window this morning and it wasn't bad at all.  Makes me happy.  I mean, I WFH but hubby has to drive in, and he's an anxious driver.  
    We got news that my MIL might be coming home tomorrow.  I don't think I mentioned it, but she was at an all-inclusive and injured herself, and had to be in the hospital for a week.  She sort of loves the dramatics and wouldn't tell us what was actually wrong, so hubby was freaking out and assuming the worse.  He will be a lot more chill when she is back and we can get the whole story.  And then I must brace myself because now, every time we go on a trip, she'll try to convince us not to go because horrible things can happen ... 

• Woohoo!  The doctor at urgent care has no idea what my rash is! 

At first he suggested Molluscm (sp?), which is a very contagious rash that kids typically have.  I told him my DD has nothing resembling this rash on her body.  I then mentioned that I had stayed at a hotel last Thursday - could this be from bed bugs.  He said yes!  And then I told him the exact timeline and he said this couldn't be bed bugs either.

Called the dermatologist and shocker upon shocker, they can take me today!  They are usually so busy, it can be a month before you can get an appointment!  This will screw up our shopping plans tonight, but I need to get this bad boy looked at!
  • Woohoo!  The doctor at urgent care has no idea what my rash is! 

At first he suggested Molluscm (sp?), which is a very contagious rash that kids typically have.  I told him my DD has nothing resembling this rash on her body.  I then mentioned that I had stayed at a hotel last Thursday - could this be from bed bugs.  He said yes!  And then I told him the exact timeline and he said this couldn't be bed bugs either.

Called the dermatologist and shocker upon shocker, they can take me today!  They are usually so busy, it can be a month before you can get an appointment!  This will screw up our shopping plans tonight, but I need to get this bad boy looked at!
    That is good news they can fit you in.  I hope you get answers and that whatever it is, is easy to cure and deal with.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker