Wedding Woes

More Monday?

Didn’t we just have one last week?

How was the weekend? Mine was quiet, relaxing, and low stress which is exactly what I needed. 

I have to have a pretty 1:1 with the guy I posted about today so that while necessary probably won’t be much fun. He made some other big mistakes last week that causes a lot of problems so I’ve got to deal with it. Super fun part of being a manager. 

Re: More Monday?

• Weekend was decent here. Went to a candle-making place and then lunch with a couple of friends Saturday. The rest of the weekend was just staying at home avoiding the rain/snow for the most part. Was kind of nice though bc I feel like most weekends I've been on the go with B and I needed a break.  I did take him to Starbucks for a treat Sunday morning and he did awesome which was nice - he's super unpredictable in public so I tend to not take him too much. 

I have a lot of work to get done this week. None of it specifically deadline-driven which always gets me in trouble with  motivation...or a lack thereof.
  • How annoying Varuna. Why do a follow up if they aren't really changing it??

In the scheme of things does the review matter - does it affect compensation or could be used against you for future personnel decisions? 
  • It was busy here! Friday we went to dinner with family for H's birthday. It was fun, but I screwed up and melted the ice cream cake. Saturday morning we got about 2 inches of surprise snow. The puppy was so confused. I was so sure she'd want to play in it, but she didn't like it at all. Saturday afternoon we took a short road trip to watch a game, which was super fun. Sunday we ended up going to my sister's for breakfast and then having his family over for early dinner. We completely blew off packing, but I know he wanted to see his mom again while she's in town. (She doesn't live here, but she usually comes for 3-4 weeks a few times per year; she always stays with SIL because that's where the grandbaby is.) 

I'm counting down the hours until this week is over. We leave for the beach on Saturday! The struggle is real at work. I cannot force myself to pay attention. 
  • @VarunaTT I'm sorry you're going through this.   I hope there's recourse for you but it sounds like in such a small office it's going to be harder.   

Weekend went well!   Saturday we cleaned up a bit and DH hung up a bunch of photos that were on his "honey do" list.   It looks SO NICE to have more framed pictures on the walls and makes me feel like we're real grown ups.  That night we watched Monsters Inc with the kids and ate dinner on the couch.   Sunday we had the families over for a joint birthday celebration for DH and my mom.   We made a pork loin from Costco and now have SO MUCH MEAT to eat.   I think I'll make  potato croquettes tonight and will start researching uses for pork loin.
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2020
    kvruns said:
    How annoying Varuna. Why do a follow up if they aren't really changing it??

In the scheme of things does the review matter - does it affect compensation or could be used against you for future personnel decisions? 
    I'm not sure, TBH.  This firm is the worst ever in terms of HR and law firms always have terrible HR.  Our raises don't really seem to have any rhyme or reason; my first year everyone just got "X" amount for the year (which for some people was a great raise, for me it was so barely 3 percent), the next year I got a really great raise.  So I don't know.  If it's purely scored, I have 4-5/5 on each ranked category, so it should be a high score.  

As far as future personnel decisions, there isn't any of that in a law firm.  Everyone is a paralegal, legal secretary, or attorney, no real promotions available.  There are managing paralegals and there's a small hierarchy between specializations, but that's really it.  Most of any difference in paralegals is simply someone feeling like they're more important than someone else.  :D
  • @VarunaTT, As PO'ed as I am at my own employer right now, your situation sounds inifinitely more infuriating.  I'm so sorry you are even having to go through all of that bs.

My H had a lot of fun at his walking parade on Sat.  I met him later at the costume ball, but we only stayed for about an hour.  He's a major lightweight, lol...both with alcohol and staying up late...so he was ready to go home after a short time.

Unfortunately, the costume ball turned into a s**t show and almost didn't happen at all.  The original venue...which is a warehouse and not normally an event space...did not have their fire inspection until the morning of.  And they failed it.  Really sad and a huge waste of money.  The organization had all kinds of special lighting set up.  There were supposed to be all these different entertainment acts.  They found another place at the last minute, which was miraculous.  Not as convenient, but not too far away either.  But a bunch of the things/entertainment they were planning, couldn't be moved at the last minute.  Two bands played throughout the event.  There was basic lighting for them.  A large space for dancing.  There were two bars set up and a food truck parked outside.  So at least not a complete disaster!

After Fri., I was especially dreading coming to work today.  My anger has turned more into a resentful simmer.  Now the reality has more set in that this is my new normal and it's crappier.  I went from having an office to being in cube land.  Just to add fuel to the fire.  I briefly worked in the Doc Control department a few years ago.  It was the only time I had really disliked working for this company.  And now I'm back physically in that same area.  Though I'm at least not working for Doc Control this time (praying, praying hard, it stays that way).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Does anyone do the food delivery that you cook and they just send you a box for the ingredients,etc?
    Pro and cons! We got a giftcard for a few and we're going to try it, but also been debating on signing up in general for it.

There's another place near our house we can basically do the same idea but a bunch of them and you can freeze them.

We're debating on both because it should keep the guess work out meal planning and hopefully keep us on the ball of it too.

Anyways, weekend was ok. Saturday was cold a.f so we skipped swimming to avoid BabyKitten getting frostbite from being damp. It was fine to go from house to car, or car to store because she wasn't damp.

Saturday night I saw my 2 bffs and it was amazing. We only chilled for like 2hrs, but still. Dinner at a buffet. We talked about a party that was a long time ago, but it's still in chats because of all the things that happened. T was saying she thinks she was roofied because she went from ok-drunk, to basically blacked out so quick. She went thru a partying phase, and never did that. I said it's too bad she didn't question it closer to when it happened, because the host was sick too but not sure if same level.
    Given how bad she was, and how she still freaks out she blacked out - I honestly wouldn't be surprised. She could narrow down to when her memories stopped that night and it was after one guy made us drinks. :\ 

Sunday we all slept in. BabyKitten was definitely up before us because when we got her, she had no pants and her moose {"Moo"} and giraffe were on the floor.
    Keeping in mind, it was almost 10am when she finally started being loud lmao

Originally had plans to go to M's coworker's place, but BabyKitten had such a runny nose that we cancelled. She seemed fine - more tired than typical - but nothing else. We're hoping it's not a cold though. She was fine this morning and no runny nose.
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited February 2020
    OMG Varuna, that's insane.  I'm so sorry that they've put you in this position.  

I'm in the office.  Also, I'm exhausted.  

Friday, we didn't do much.  Saturday, we attempted to clean and I ran to the store.  Oh none of the amazon dresses worked, womp womp.  I've already shipped them back.  I ended up finding a dress when I was out shopping. The parties were fun.  

Yesterday, we did Monster Jam.  It was amazing.  But there was a communication mix-up and mom thought I was going to be there earlier.  So we basically ran out of Monster Jam with 15 min left and I feel like I almost made a scene (since we were sitting with all of the Scouts).  I just couldn't explain because there was no time and it was loud AF.  Once we got home, I packed my shit and left.  Things were quiet at mom's. 

I just kind of understand my dad a little bit now.  I still think he needs to work stuff out without getting upset/frustrated, but it's hard to see mom so unreasonable when she's exhausted.  It's just not who she has been our entire lives.  I slept like absolute garbage because I wasn't at home and I was also a little anxious mom would get up in the night and need me and I'd not hear her or something. 

I left at lunch to check on mom.  A family friend is staying with her this week and was there.  I also talked out my feelings at lunch a bit with DH, but that was a little bit of a mistake because I came back to the office a little teary.  Then I ran into a co-worker who was so sweet and sympathetic, but that just made me want to cry more.  I got myself together and wandered over to talk to her. (We've been close for a long time.  I almost dated her son once upon a time. Her first husband died of cancer, so she gets it.)
  • @VarunaTT, I skimmed the sfory from last week (I was out of town) and its bs - however SO glad that you got a new review out of it at least! But ugh!
    @MissKittyDanger I’ve been doing those kits for years and LOVE them!  I found one cheaper than the average $60/week so it’s worth it for me.  And the food tastes good!  Much better than anything I can pick up through a window. 
    Hugs @mrsconn23, you’re going through a lot right now
    @short+sassy i need another trip to NOLA soon.  Every-time you mention it I remember how much I love that city!

i was in a conference all last week but back at it today. Saturday was good. Productive.  Sunday was not.  But all in all, good weekend. Ended with the Oscars which was good.  Laura Dern’s pick up surprised me because I kinda thought Kathy Bates would have taken it.  I saw Marriage Story Sunday right before it.

i tried to watch Judy on a flight, but the wifi turned off so I didn’t get to finish it.  

• Does anyone do the food delivery that you cook and they just send you a box for the ingredients,etc?
    Pro and cons! We got a giftcard for a few and we're going to try it, but also been debating on signing up in general for it.

We did both Blue Apron and Hello Fresh a while ago. (Not sure if they have the same companies in Canada or not.) This is a lot of words:

Pro:
    -We were trying recipes and meals that we never would have made otherwise
    -We got out of our ruts of making the same 5 things over and over
    -Having a meal kit at home helped us from being lazy and just stopping for something or getting a pizza
    -Helped H develop some confidence around cooking skills -- He would never have picked up a recipe and just started cooking before; he's still not one to just wing it, but he's far more comfortable in the kitchen 
    -Generally healthy meals, nutrition info is clear
    -Portions are appropriate size, not tiny so you're hungry, but also not like restaurants where you end up eating too much
    -I hate grocery shopping

Con: 
    -It's more expensive than just going to the grocery store and buying what you need
    -General lack of flexibility. The companies I used were 3 meals/week, they auto-ship unless you remember to cancel ahead
    -Occasional problems with missing ingredients/shipping issues. I found blue apron was worse about this than hello fresh. To their credit, both companies were good about crediting you, but it's a pain when you're halfway through making a meal and you realize they left out the soy sauce
    -A lot of the meals were more cooking than I wanted to do every weeknight. Typically you're in the kitchen for 30-45 minutes. Some nights I enjoy cooking and looked forward to it, but some nights it was too much. (I did start doing some of the prep ahead on the weekends which mitigated this.) 

I cancelled our subscriptions when we had a lot of travel going on and I couldn't keep up with suspending every week, but we talk about signing up again at some point. The lack of flexibility is keeping me away. If I could sign up and then opt-in to 1-2 deliveries/month, I'd be more apt to do it again. 
  • @MissKittyDanger I did it for a little while (I think I tried 3 different services, Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, and one that was a vegetarian but I can't remember now), but stopped.  I thought the price point was too high for what and the amount of what I was cooking.  I also (this is weird, I know) was uncomfortable with the amount of packaging and how much trash I was generating with it.

Now I just use the Emeals app + grocery pick up.  I can't plan ahead enough for delivery, though I've considered it.  I just wake up a bit earlier on Wednesday mornings when the new weekly Emeals plans hit, choose my meals, go through the auto-generated shopping list to mark off what I already have, and then do my grocery shopping.  All together I can spend as little as 20 minutes and I've never spent more than 45 on it.
  • Laaaaaaaaaaaazy weekend. Boring day today. I'm basically doing busywork while looking at a rainy sky. (It's not supposed to be better in Houston until Thursday.

I still don't know when my last day at this job is. I presume tomorrow, but nobody has SAID so, and my new employers are waiting to hear from me as to when I will be available to start. I wish they'd just tell me and give me my final paycheck!
  • We had a pretty good weekend at DS1's. The house is really cute but teeny, tiny. I guess I won't be getting any grandchildren from them LOL! I have some issues with DS1 that I need to address but nothing that interfered with the weekend. We went out to eat a lot and it was good considering the small town where they live. It helps that it is a college town I guess. We stayed in a hotel about 20 minutes away (closest to their town). They have 2 bedrooms but one is being used as an office. There is upstairs finished space but it isn't set up as a bedroom. Right now it is full of stuff they haven't unpacked. We hopefully will go back in the spring. I'm somewhat jealous because they are geographically closer to DIL's parents so see them quite often. We only see them a couple times a year because we have to be invited to stay. 

Tonight I'm catching up on my Italian homework and trying not to eat a big dinner since we ate a lot this weekend (did I mention that haha). I did make it to the gym after I unpacked this afternoon. I'm looking forward to celebrating a friend's birthday on Thursday. 
  • VarunaTT said:
    @MissKittyDanger I did it for a little while (I think I tried 3 different services, Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, and one that was a vegetarian but I can't remember now), but stopped.  I thought the price point was too high for what and the amount of what I was cooking.  I also (this is weird, I know) was uncomfortable with the amount of packaging and how much trash I was generating with it.

Now I just use the Emeals app + grocery pick up.  I can't plan ahead enough for delivery, though I've considered it.  I just wake up a bit earlier on Wednesday mornings when the new weekly Emeals plans hit, choose my meals, go through the auto-generated shopping list to mark off what I already have, and then do my grocery shopping.  All together I can spend as little as 20 minutes and I've never spent more than 45 on it.
    I only tried Hello Fresh and absolutely hated it.  I thought one of the points of these "meal prep" kits was to try new recipes and save time cooking.

As such, I was expecting the prep work to already be done.  It wasn't.  Not for any of the meals.  Soooo...exactly what time am I saving?  The few minutes it takes to look at a recipe and write the ingredients on my grocery list?  And 90% of their sides are potato-based.  WAY too many carbs for me.  Half the time, I didn't even bother wasting more time with whatever the potatoes were for and gave them to neighbors. 

Plus, when I shop myself, then I can do everything in larger quantities and have leftovers.  To me, Hello Fresh cost me time.  Because I'm putting in almost the same work, but only getting two meals instead of 4-6 meals.

Not just you, @VarunaTT!  My H also side-eyed that these meal delivery kits are not environmentally friendly at all. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    @MissKittyDanger I did it for a little while (I think I tried 3 different services, Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, and one that was a vegetarian but I can't remember now), but stopped.  I thought the price point was too high for what and the amount of what I was cooking.  I also (this is weird, I know) was uncomfortable with the amount of packaging and how much trash I was generating with it.

I only tried Hello Fresh and absolutely hated it.  I thought one of the points of these "meal prep" kits was to try new recipes and save time cooking.

As such, I was expecting the prep work to already be done.  It wasn't.  Not for any of the meals.  Soooo...exactly what time am I saving?  The few minutes it takes to look at a recipe and write the ingredients on my grocery list?  And 90% of their sides are potato-based.  WAY too many carbs for me.  Half the time, I didn't even bother wasting more time with whatever the potatoes were for and gave them to neighbors. 

Plus, when I shop myself, then I can do everything in larger quantities and have leftovers.  To me, Hello Fresh cost me time.  Because I'm putting in almost the same work, but only getting two meals instead of 4-6 meals.

Not just you, @VarunaTT!  My H also side-eyed that these meal delivery kits are not environmentally friendly at all. 
    there is 2 different versions and the "pronto" version is apparently true to description of 30mins
  • I feel like the kits are there to remove guess work.

And what I really need to do is just focus more on doing weekly meal planning on something like a Friday afternoon so my weekend I can shop - or even do it a few days at a time if I don't anticipate doing something like buying a roast that I make on a Monday and use in various dishes throughout the week. 

Example: Sunday we had the family over.   Dinner was pork roast and mashed potatoes and green beans.   Last week for DH's birthday we had rack of lamb (all gone) and couscous (Still some left).

Monday I chopped up some of the leftover roast and put it into a soup w/ couscous.   DH didn't feel well so this was chicken soup-like.   

Today I plan to make leftover roast and potato croquettes and green beans. 

Tomorrow is up in the air - I might do more of the same. 

Also, by being a member at places like Costco, we can do things like have frozen tuna filets at the ready.   Then we're garlic and olive oil and veggies from an easy dinner.