Wedding Woes

Wednesday

I adulted yesterday by not purchasing Janet Jackson tickets.  The best price/basic seat combo was still around $100 apiece and I love Janet, but I don't LOVE Janet and don't want to spend that much to see her concert.  However, Rage goes on sale tomorrow and I DO love Rage enough for that and more, so we'll see what's up with their show prices.  Twitter has been hilarious about this tour though:

"I'm going to love seeing Rage Against the Machine at the Capital One Arena."

"The only Rage Against the Machine that will matter is angry 40 plus years olds screaming at their monitors on Thursday."

Did my grocery shopping this morning.  Have to get to the library after work or my books on hold will be sent back.  I already missed one and had to put it back on my hold list, boo at myself.  It's nasty weather here today and I just want to curl up at home with some hot tea and a book.

Re: Wednesday

• LOL @ Rage. A few days after I bought my tickets to see them in Boston, they announced their 40 date tour, which includes shows at MSG. However, I'd much rather already have my ticket, and just drive to Boston than fight for tickets at MSG, even though it's closer. 

I woke up this morning with the worst cold. Ugh. I just want to go back home and go to bed. I'm debating it. 

• Oh yeah I for sure know about tiering bands.musicians.  “Do I love ____ $150 dollars worth?”  The only one that usually wins is Reba.

massage right after work and then I hope to beat the majority of the snow and get home. I’m a wimp when it involves driving in snow.  Saturday night my closet rack fell down on me so I bought another one on amazon and have to put that up, but it doesn't look like it’ll hold my heavy pants.  I might need a new closet system entirely. 

• Oh yeah I for sure know about tiering bands.musicians.  “Do I love ____ $150 dollars worth?”  The only one that usually wins is Reba.

massage right after work and then I hope to beat the majority of the snow and get home. I’m a wimp when it involves driving in snow.  Saturday night my closet rack fell down on me so I bought another one on amazon and have to put that up, but it doesn't look like it’ll hold my heavy pants.  I might need a new closet system entirely. 
    DD and SIL just had a new closet system installed. They love it. It is a local Chicago company. If you want, I can get the info for you.
  • I have been checking and rechecking my email to see if I got the DMB tickets I want.   I still don't know and the suspense has me on the edge of my chair.

On a horrible note, I found out about a brutal murder through Facebook yesterday and it's a domestic violence incident where a former spouse killed his estranged wife while their young kids were in the home.   I don't know the person and it's more of a "friend of a sister of a boyfriend through Facebook" type thing but I'm sad for everyone affected and it's just a big reminder to me about how I need to do more in my own intimate and public circle to affect change. 

I have no idea what we're doing for Valentine's day but I hope it involves steak and lobster.
  • DH is the BIGGEST GnR fan ever.  I mean, one of his bday gifts from me was a song lyric print of "Patience".  He saw their last tour in Cincy, because the o.g. band was back together, and we paid $$$ for seats.  He looked at tickets for their upcoming Indy show this year and said, 'nah, I'm good.'  

We're supposed to get a mess of weather starting this afternoon.  I'm supposed to go to purse bingo tonight, but I'll eat the $30 and stay home if it's too nasty.  Not worth it and honestly, I've got a fuckton of stuff here at home that needs to be done.   So we'll see. 

I'm hoping this little cold doesn't turn into a big cold. FIL officially retires tomorrow and wants to start partying tomorrow night.  Yeesh.  

I feel so unprepared to host this weekend.  DH is shouldering most of the workload, which is helpful.  I know we'll be fine and worst case, there will be alcohol.  ;) 

SSDD otherwise. 
  • @banana468 that's so sad! 

I also have no idea what we're doing for Valentine's day. Probably nothing. BIL is still here too, so. 
  • I saw Janet Jackson about 10 years ago. It's still one of the best concerts I've been to. Bruno Mars is still #1 in my book. 

It's finally Wednesday. My Director is in the office with a disgusting cough and I just wish she would have stayed home again...

I have been on a Man vs. Food binge lately, so tonight H and I are getting burgers and I'm sooo excited! 
  • @banana468 that's horrible! :( 

@VarunaTT lol @ RATM

@climbingwife M is jealous you're seeing RATM but I asked and he would have gone to see Foo's instead lmao His response "I get it. 2 late night headliner shows back to back? Cannot do it."

I use to see Hedley every time they came around. I can't anymore because they had to essentially disband. The lead singer is going thru court in regards to sexual allegations. I'm still in heavy denial about it :(

I'm starting to prep for BabyKitten's 2nd bday in May. Last year we did so much last minute, and I cannot do it this year.
    A mom in my June Mom group runs her own cookie business and I'm ordering some for BabyKitten's bday and for M's 30th bday in July :)

For BabyKitten, the theme is Unicorn. We're going to do pastel colours. Idk what I'll do for cake - bake or buy. Essentially if you look up unicorn bdays on pinterest, you'll get basic idea.
    BabyKitten is a fruit bat so we're doing rainbow kabobs with fruit. If I can figure out how not to fuck it up, I'm gonna do coloured pasta for pasta salad.
    My mum is gonna bring potatoe salad because that's the rule.

Last year we did cat ear headbands instead of party hats. This year I'll likely do same only unicorn horns
  • I saw Janet Jackson about 10 years ago. It's still one of the best concerts I've been to. Bruno Mars is still #1 in my book. 
    I think it'd be an amazing show.  I've watched a lot of YouTube and she works that stage.  Plus, she's relaunching Rhythm Nation and the new album.  I just..IDK, i'm like there's other people who really love Janet and those $100 seats are their price budget and they deserve that seat more than me.
  • Our anniversary was about two weeks ago, so I don't think I'm doing anything for Valentine's.  I told hubby that I wanted to go see a free movie at the library that weekend, so that might be what we do.  He gave me roses for our anniversary, and I'm debating making them into rose beads.  I've always wanted to try it - I just separated all the petals this morning and I might try to make them tonight.  Should be interesting. 

I hope everyone that has colds feels better!  'Tis the season, I suppose, but colds suck.

• VarunaTT said:
    I saw Janet Jackson about 10 years ago. It's still one of the best concerts I've been to. Bruno Mars is still #1 in my book. 
    I think it'd be an amazing show.  I've watched a lot of YouTube and she works that stage.  Plus, she's relaunching Rhythm Nation and the new album.  I just..IDK, i'm like there's other people who really love Janet and those $100 seats are their price budget and they deserve that seat more than me.

***STUCK***

She puts on a performance! I enjoyed the graphics, dancing, and her singing. 

You won't be disappointed  :)
  • I wanted to see Halsey but the tickets in the “nosebleed” sections were still $80+ so that was a no go. I do want to see Lizzo though. 

I’m feeling more alive today. I had my first “meal” last night since Saturday. It was Kraft Mac n Cheese, so I’m not sure if that really qualifies as real food, but it was the first thing that sounded even remotely good to me so I went with it. My stomach is feeling a little suspect today but I have more energy and I’m not fighting to puke every minute. I’ll take it. 

Other than that SSDD. My coworker is out until the afternoon so I’ll be doing both of our jobs for most of the day. I’m not exactly excited about it. 

• LOL @ Rage. A few days after I bought my tickets to see them in Boston, they announced their 40 date tour, which includes shows at MSG. However, I'd much rather already have my ticket, and just drive to Boston than fight for tickets at MSG, even though it's closer. 
    I'm listening to the podcast "Your Favorite Band Sucks", the Rage episode.  It's hilarious.
  • VarunaTT said:
    LOL @ Rage. A few days after I bought my tickets to see them in Boston, they announced their 40 date tour, which includes shows at MSG. However, I'd much rather already have my ticket, and just drive to Boston than fight for tickets at MSG, even though it's closer. 
    I'm listening to the podcast "Your Favorite Band Sucks", the Rage episode.  It's hilarious.
    I've been wanting to listen to this. What's it about?
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2020
    Oh yeah I for sure know about tiering bands.musicians.  “Do I love ____ $150 dollars worth?”  The only one that usually wins is Reba.

DD and SIL just had a new closet system installed. They love it. It is a local Chicago company. If you want, I can get the info for you.
    Sure! I’ll take it.  I doubt I can afford a custom closet though. My kitchen is in dire straights and I need that done first. I hate adulting!!  This is not where I want my money to go!

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited February 2020
    It's 2 men who basically take popular musicians (no one is off limits, they've even done The Beatles) and break them down to explain why they suck.  Coe is really the better one (he did Cocaine and Rhinestones: The History of Country Music that came recommended to me after Americana [Dolly Parton].  I don't even like country music and it's fascinating, he's quite knowledgeable about history and context of music and knows how to tell a story].  The other guy, Mahan I think?  is fine, he's mostly the one liner snark person.  He doesn't seem quite as knowledgeable as Coe, but still can be interesting.

It sounds really terrible, but honestly I think I've learned a lot about music and music history from them.  It's pretty decent criticism coached in some comedy.  I've only listened to my favorite bands so far:  U2, RHCP (which actually has made me question if I'm going to keep listening to them, I didn't know some of the sexual history issues),  NIN, and I started Madonna, but didn't finish it.  I just pick who I want to hear about, rather than in order.  I just did Rage since I'm thinking about them now b/c of tickets.

ETA:  it's Tyler Mahan Coe (good) and Mark Mosley (okay)

I also love Switched on Pop for a similar vein of podcast, but it's not about "sucking" all the time.  It's a musicologist and someone else I can't recall, who discuss pop music and it's place in society, structure, history, etc.  It can be fascinating too.  They went off on Post Malone the other day and I was laughing so hard I had to pause it.  "He said he has so many songs he can't remember them all. I don't think he's lying, listen to this" and plays 2 songs where the hooks have the exact.same.melody.  I mean 100%, totally the same, just with different words.
  • I think Wednesday was the first time I was able to pop in last week too.  Why am I having Monday & Tuesday craziness at work?  That's my TK time!  LOL!

Saturday was busy with DDs pictures (she did great and it was hard to narrow down which ones we wanted!), making meatballs, going to church and then SILs birthday dinner.  Sunday was busy too, we busted out getting all of the wiring AND the ceiling fan up in our bedroom (for DDs room this was split into 2 days!).  All H has to do is hook up the wiring for the fan into the junction box in the attic this week and we will have a working fan!

Monday, I was at a chocolate place for over an hour just trying to get H his Valentine's gift!  The place I wanted to go closed in Nov - how did I not hear?  And then I went to the next option and was there so long!  I also forgot to pick a number when I walked in, so I think a few people got in front of me too.  I left that place at 2:15, but also had a meeting at 2 PM!  Whoops!  The legal gods were smiling upon me as I made all but one red light back to the office!  I got back in 7 minutes flat, which was a pretty incredible feat based on where I was coming/going to!  Thankfully, they were fine with me getting to the meeting 20 some minutes late!  Yesterday, I went to a local ravioli place and picked up some of their heart shaped ones.  I just wish they used red pasta for them!  I am now all set for Valentine's Day for H, DD and our dinner in.

At the chocolate place, I did see the cutest thing where this older gentleman brought in his heart shaped box to be refilled (which I will do next year to save from paying for the box again!).  But he had a list of all his wife's favorite chocolates to complete his order.  One person commented to him and he said he's been bringing back the same box to be refilled for 20 years! <3

Tonight, I think H and I are planning to wash the dogs.  They are getting stinky!
  • Speaking of concerts!  Weezer and Green Day are co-headling a summer festival with Fall Out Boy too.  I went to get tickets and the highest of high nosebleed seats were affordable ~$60!  But with the ticket fees, it nearly doubled the total cost!  I kept looking at the itemized total before submitting my order over and over to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing!  So I noped right out of there.  I've seen both Weezer and Green Day - both were amazing!  But I was not about to pay those fees!  I was even so excited because it was going to start in the afternoon - I could have still gone to bed at an early hour! :D
  • @OliveOilsMom that guy is awesome.   I love when I see people keeping the romance alive! 
  • At the chocolate place, I did see the cutest thing where this older gentleman brought in his heart shaped box to be refilled (which I will do next year to save from paying for the box again!).  But he had a list of all his wife's favorite chocolates to complete his order.  One person commented to him and he said he's been bringing back the same box to be refilled for 20 years! <3
    I want that. 

• Speaking of concerts!  Weezer and Green Day are co-headling a summer festival with Fall Out Boy too.  I went to get tickets and the highest of high nosebleed seats were affordable ~$60!  But with the ticket fees, it nearly doubled the total cost!  I kept looking at the itemized total before submitting my order over and over to make sure I was seeing what I was seeing!  So I noped right out of there.  I've seen both Weezer and Green Day - both were amazing!  But I was not about to pay those fees!  I was even so excited because it was going to start in the afternoon - I could have still gone to bed at an early hour! :D
    The fees are getting ridiculous.  We were looking at going to the Boulet Brothers: Dragula show b/c the winner was Landon Cider, a drag king that K idolizes.  The tickets were only $35, not bad at all for what is really a mid tier level of drag fame show.  The fees were $20 apiece, effectively doubling the cost.  I even posted in the event about how upset I was about the astronomical fees.  It's truly becoming ridiculous and it does prevent me from buying ticket sometimes.  The Jackson tickets were only $80, which was fine, but $20 in fees, and that $100 barrier made it not fine.
  • Rage is also coming to Buffalo but it’s less than a week before the baby is due and I think it’s cutting a little too close, and that I’ll be too uncomfortable/annoyed to be at a concert then. My sister did text when the tour was announced and said “please don’t have the baby on July 27 or 28 bc the show is Monday and I’ll be really tired on Tuesday”. I told her I’d do my best since it was for a good reason.

I am seeing Vampire Weekend (yes my tastes are pretty broad) in June and I love them. I’ve seen them 3 times already and each time they’re fantastic. Sister and I for really good seats and I won’t be super pregnant yet. 
    I have a very wide range of music tastes too. The last concerts I've seen have been The Stones, Paul Simon, Guns N Roses. And I love Vampire Weekend! 
  • Sorry in advance.  My post today is just going to be gripes and rants, lol.

The new tenant who moved in mid-Dec. to the first unit we had renovated (from the two duplexes were rehabbing) has already turned into a cluster, smh.  She did have a couple "light" red flags.  She's primarily a "gig" worker, mainly with Uber/Lyft.  Credit was not great, but there was a legit good reason.  She did pay first, last, and security, due to her being a higher risk.  In my area, it's usually just first month's and security.

Her rent is due on the 15th and she is set-up on autopay.  So Jan. 15th rolls around and her payment fails.  She's so sorry.  She had an auto-deposit that hit late and then her bank put a 7-14 day hold on it (only 10 days at most, left).  She'll also do extra Uber'ing and can have it in about a week, even with just the Uber'ing.  I don't want to get too much into her business, but she can also supposedly do a draw from elsewhere and she's going to do that, if it is faster.  I'm good with all that.  Except then two weeks go by and I still have nothing.

I contact her again.  No real explanation for what happened.  But the gist I get is she doesn't Uber as much as she likes to think she can because of inconsistent childcare.  And that ability to take draws wasn't the guarantee she thought it was.  None of this was really said to me directly.  But I was reading between the lines from the "positives" she told me of what she is doing to correct the problem.  I post a 5-Day Pay or Quit notice.  She coughs up about half the rent.  Sends me a text on Mon. that her draw is a done deal.  She'll have it tomorrow (Tues.) and will get caught up.  Then she sends me a text late yesterday that there has been a "snag" she is still working on and is also pursuing "other avenues" to get things taken care of.

I've been really understanding, so far.  Especially because I do have her last month's rent and security.  And still am!  However, I was more blunt and told her to keep me informed of what is happening and her timelines.  But February's rent is due on Sat. and she still hasn't paid all of Jan.  So I can't give her more than a few days to at least finish paying for Jan.

And, I guess what I also find alarming is, even if she pulls it out of the fire for Jan.  Now it's Feb.  WTF?  Why couldn't she pay Jan.'s rent to begin with?  And how is any other month going to be different?

---------------------  

The latest unit we are rehabbing ended up needing the bathtub replaced (sigh).  We were NOT expecting that.  It was discovered yesterday that the whole area around it is almost rotted out from water intrusion.  Funny enough, not from the bathtub, but from the bad roof that should have been replaced years ago.  While, overall, that sucks.  It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  I've always assumed it would be about $3K to replace a basic bathtub...most of that labor.  But, since we have our own peeps over there for the rehab anyway, it will be less than $1K.  The work will also take less than two days and they actually already took care of most of it yesterday.

----------------------

The property taxes for all my properties have been looming over my head.  They are due on Friday and will be a total of about $6K. While I earmark it on "paper" for expense/profit purposes, most years I just cash flow it from 1-2 months ahead of time and then, if needed, "borrow" the rest from my Home Equity Line of Credit.  But, this year, all the rehabbing is an extra twist.  Plus the total taxes due are higher because I didn't have the two duplexes last year.  I keep figuring and re-figuring out and shuffling as much as I can to minimize the "damage" to my HELOC balance, lol.  But there is no getting around that it will be a harder hit to it from property taxes than in the past.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Rage is also coming to Buffalo but it’s less than a week before the baby is due and I think it’s cutting a little too close, and that I’ll be too uncomfortable/annoyed to be at a concert then. My sister did text when the tour was announced and said “please don’t have the baby on July 27 or 28 bc the show is Monday and I’ll be really tired on Tuesday”. I told her I’d do my best since it was for a good reason.

I am seeing Vampire Weekend (yes my tastes are pretty broad) in June and I love them. I’ve seen them 3 times already and each time they’re fantastic. Sister and I for really good seats and I won’t be super pregnant yet. 
    I have a very wide range of music tastes too. The last concerts I've seen have been The Stones, Paul Simon, Guns N Roses. And I love Vampire Weekend! 
    The last show I saw was also Paul Simon! He was incredible!! 
  • Not Paul Simon, but a contemporary, James Taylor, was an amazing concert.  I recorded Fire and Rain, b/c it's my favorite song.  His voice sounds exactly the same as the OG album, even now.  Also, he does a cute older man dance when he sings his newer stuff now.  Also, had a really great stage presentation, considering the type of music he really does.

All of those shows sound amazing. I’m jealous. 

To be fair, you could be fine. I had a miserable pregnancy and would not have been able to but my mum was in great shape and was up dancing the weekend before I was born {restaurant that had a dance floor} and also moving furniture.
  • @CharmedPam the company is Closet Works. DD said they are easy to google.