Just Engaged and Proposals

Are you keeping his old mattress?

I'm getting married next spring, and I would really like my fiance to get rid of his old (and obviously used) mattress. Do you think I'm overreacting? Are you making your fiance get rid of his old mattress? Has the topic come up? Have you talked about it with him yet?

Re: Are you keeping his old mattress?

• When you say "used" do you mean with previous girls? I remember this being a topic of an episode of the show "Rules of Engagement" and FI and I looked at each other and thought it was ridiculous considering the bed we now sleep on is the bed I had at my apartment before moving in with him. TMI.. but I had that bed while still dating my ex and FI is well aware of this.

I can see how that would bother you, but he's with you now and wants to MARRY you which puts you far above any previous girlfriend or fling. If it's in your budget, go ahead and get a new bed, but if money is tight this isn't something to split hairs over.
  • I think you are overreacting.
  • are you going to get him a new..ahem... too? lol 

sorry haha! i know what you mean though. we didnt have this issue because we actually needed a new bed when we moved intogether (his old one was a single, mine was a waterbed and he hated it lol) but yeah, if you need a new bed, do it. if you just want one that no other girl has been in, i dont think it matters. you definitely think about it more than he does lol.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_keeping-his-old-mattress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:0dcf600e-d67f-41c1-af79-d17bc3150c35Post:10363d51-dee2-4d9c-9193-594c02e09f93">Are you keeping his old mattress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm getting married next spring, and I would really like my fiance to get rid of his old (and obviously used) mattress. Do you think I'm overreacting? Are you making your fiance get rid of his old mattress? Has the topic come up? Have you talked about it with him yet?
    Posted by koskim[/QUOTE]

Please clarify.

Are you seriously asking about getting rid of a mattress because your fiance had sex with other women on it?
  • is it because of sex or just because it's old? if it's because it's old and you just want a new one moving in together i think that's fine and i would too. if it's just because he slept with other ppl on it then that's ridiculous imo lol
  • This is pretty ridiculous.  It screams insecurity.  

When we moved in together, we had the same bed he'd had for years, with other women.  He also had some of the same clothes he worn (and taken off) on dates with other women, the same couch he cuddled with them on, the same pots and dishes that he'd cooked and eaten with them on.  But he wasn't doing those things with them anymore.  He does them with me now.   
  • Huh, so I guess the answer is overwhelmingly no? I can't believe nobody has thought about this before ... I'm not getting married for another year or so, so I guess I do have some time to decide.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_keeping-his-old-mattress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:0dcf600e-d67f-41c1-af79-d17bc3150c35Post:03d392d0-65a6-4f71-9a9f-a84ee815ebb1">Re: Are you keeping his old mattress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Huh, so I guess the answer is overwhelmingly no?</strong> I can't believe nobody has thought about this before ... I'm not getting married for another year or so, so I guess I do have some time to decide.
    Posted by koskim[/QUOTE]

Ya think? How many boards are you going to post this on before you realize no one is going to give you the answer you want? I would take that as a sign that I am overreacting.

Taco cat: Always a palindrome. ALWAYS, okay J&K?

"cool......insult my size 2 body or my natural brown hair...or the fact that my parents own a country club, I have no budget for a wedding, and I have horses. I really dont care. Its better then having roots." ~ futurepivko
  • Seriously? You can't deal with the fact that he's been with people before?!! When people concentrate on things like this it makes me think they are actually avoiding the real topic...whats REALLY going on??
    imageimageVacation Till our honeymoon!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_keeping-his-old-mattress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:0dcf600e-d67f-41c1-af79-d17bc3150c35Post:15306eeb-ca8b-4020-8e96-e766c35e66ca">Re: Are you keeping his old mattress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>are you going to get him a new..ahem... too?</strong> lol  sorry haha! i know what you mean though. we didnt have this issue because we actually needed a new bed when we moved intogether (his old one was a single, mine was a waterbed and he hated it lol) but yeah, if you need a new bed, do it. if you just want one that no other girl has been in, i dont think it matters. you definitely think about it more than he does lol.
    Posted by larina+jeremy[/QUOTE]
    I agree with this. If you aren't comofortable on his bed because he's "used it" wit hother women before, think about everything else that's been "used". Everything from clothes to cologne to cookware has probably been used when preparing for other women. He is now with you and planning ot marry YOU not any other woman he used anything else with.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Bio!
    Blog
    my to-read shelf:
    Audrey's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • Yeah... the only thing FI and I discussed was getting a new bed (frame, matress, everything) when we get married as a present to ourselves.  And that's mostly because his bed ( that we mainly sleep on ) is the same bed he has had since jr. high.  It's time for it to go. 
    Anniversary
    Love is friendship on fire!
    2012 Reading Challenge
    Melissa has read 0 books toward her goal of 52 books.
    hide
  • Yes, but not because it was used with other women, but because it was 20 years old and we kept my mattress since he moved into my house.  He is my one and only so my mattress holds no other "memories." 

I like the response of My Name is Not...  She was right on.  He does all of those things with you now.
  • Okay okay, point taken! Thanks for all the input, it's definitely appreciated.
  • I never thought about it either, but I think it would be nice if you can afford it.  Just like the gifts you'll be receiving at your wedding, it will be part of a new beginning.  A fresh clean slate for your married life.  I'm sure many of us have perfectly fine dishes and appliances, but that doesn't mean we're not registering for new china!
  • OMG!  Are we 12?  My vagina was used before I was with my FI.  Should I get a new one?  I even had a baby before I was with him!  His penis was used, should he get a new one?  Do you think he thinks of the other women he's had sex with in that bed when he lays down at night?  Come on, get over it!

2011 Reading Challenge

Jessica has read 16 books toward her goal of 150 books.
    hide
    "It's fine to have an open mind, just not so open your brains fall out."
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_keeping-his-old-mattress?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:0dcf600e-d67f-41c1-af79-d17bc3150c35Post:0d92b2ae-50cf-48f5-8785-b5af144f4e6b">Re: Are you keeping his old mattress?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Are you keeping his old mattress? : This is not the first time she posted this question.  She also posted it on E.  On E she wrote that it had nothing to do with it being old, uncomfortable, or anything like that, it was all about the previous girls.  So, seeing this for the second time, since she didn't get the responses she wanted on E, I took to teasing her a bit, because like I said, I find her whole hang up on this stupid.  I post all over.  BTW, I love your sig pic. 
    Posted by luckyme502[/QUOTE]

ah, i missed the post on E due to my craziness with school/work/home buying. i see.

and thank you! :)
  • and she got the same answers on the snarky brides board too
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards