Wedding Woes

Happy Valentine's Day FRIDAY

Happy Valentine's Day!  Are you celebrating or not celebrating? Any weekend plans? 

Re: Happy Valentine's Day FRIDAY

• I'm totally living the meme @CharmedPam posted yesterday. I've been up since 430am but haven't really gotten work done bc my computer did a super long update/restart cycle that took forever. Have lunch plans with a friend and then have to leave early to go to Valentine's Day party at daycare. oh and I have to pick up a book I'm buying on FB Marketplace too so I basically have to fit a day of work into the morning hours. 

No plans really, we've never done much and these days we pretty much lead separate lives anyway. He did give me a Cheesecake factory gift card this morning although it was just because he wants me to bring home cheesecake since I work next to it. Last year I got cheesecake slices for us and it took like 45 min waiting in line. I'm hoping I can order ahead this time. 
  • I’m home today, but I have to log in and resubmit some results because other people (not my group or my team) are bad at their jobs. I’m annoyed but whatever. 

I have tickets for Jesus Christ Superstar tonight and my Mom and I are doing dinner before. H and I are going out to dinner tomorrow but other than that not much going on. 
  • We don't really celebrate valentine's. Our birthdays were last weekend and the weekend before, and the anniversary of when we met is between them. (We don't really celebrate that as an anniversary, but adding a holiday that neither of us cares about would be too much.) We typically try to avoid going out on the 14th because everything is so crowded, but I'm not sure what to do tonight. There is no food in the house and we leave for the beach tomorrow. 

Otherwise just counting down the hours left to work and making a mental checklist of everything to finish before we leave. We're leaving at 4 am, so it has to get done today. 
  • We don't really celebrate valentine's. Our birthdays were last weekend and the weekend before, and the anniversary of when we met is between them. (We don't really celebrate that as an anniversary, but adding a holiday that neither of us cares about would be too much.) We typically try to avoid going out on the 14th because everything is so crowded, but I'm not sure what to do tonight. There is no food in the house and we leave for the beach tomorrow. 

Otherwise just counting down the hours left to work and making a mental checklist of everything to finish before we leave. We're leaving at 4 am, so it has to get done today. 
    My H and I are the same way.  Our first Valentine's together, my H picked up a "heat and serve" meal from a Whole-Foods type store...except this store only sold more gourmet style ready-to-go meals.  Sadly, I think they were ahead of their time.  They were AWESOME, but closed many years ago.

But that started our Valentine's Day tradition!  We have dinner at home, but with a fancier ready-to-go type meal, so neither one of us has to cook.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I stopped at Kroger on the way to work this morning and I saw 5 men in a row leaving with bouquest of roses. It made me chuckle a bit. Although I always said if you want to get me flowers get them from a store I don't need/want the expensive delivery flowers. I know some people like it but I see it as a waste of $
  • We are cooking dinner tomorrow because H is on call. We don’t want to chance cooking a great meal and he’s got to leave, so it’s pizza and movie night for us.

Tomorrow we are cooking steaks basted in truffle butter, various crostini’s, blistered green beans with garlic, and twice-baked potatoes. 

And now it's 9:30 in the morning and I'm craving dinner. That sounds amazing. 
  • kvruns said:
    I stopped at Kroger on the way to work this morning and I saw 5 men in a row leaving with bouquest of roses. It made me chuckle a bit. Although I always said if you want to get me flowers get them from a store I don't need/want the expensive delivery flowers. I know some people like it but I see it as a waste of $
    I'll be honest - I do like flowers.   And if DH is going to give them I'd rather he just pick up a bouquet while he's getting something like rib eye and lobster ravioli.  
  • We are cooking dinner tomorrow because H is on call. We don’t want to chance cooking a great meal and he’s got to leave, so it’s pizza and movie night for us.

Tomorrow we are cooking steaks basted in truffle butter, various crostini’s, blistered green beans with garlic, and twice-baked potatoes. 

And now it's 9:30 in the morning and I'm craving dinner. That sounds amazing. 
    Here are the links I'm using for dinner:

https://www.kitchenistadiaries.com/2015/02/truffle-butter-rib-eye-steak.html
    https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/blistered-green-beans-with-garlic
    https://thesaltedpepper.com/ultimate-twice-baked-potato-recipe/

For the crostini's - Chrissy Teigan has a chapter in her cookbook called "shit on toast"  taking a few recipes from there!
  • VarunaTT said:

If you use Twitter, look up @TheKitchenista.  She just did a magnificent thread on how to cook steak.  I knew a lot of her tips, others I didn't.  Mostly it just made me so sad that K doesn't care for steak.

K has class tonight b/c this last semester of school is STUPID.  There's a lot of "it's the last semester, there's light at the end of the tunnel, you got this!!" commentary right now.  :D  They are also struggling with a gross cough right now, so I doubt we do anything.  I'm going to try and see Birds of Prey this weekend.  Other than that, no special plans.
    Yes!! I love her. She's an amazing self-taught chef. That's where I got my steak recipe!
  • banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    I stopped at Kroger on the way to work this morning and I saw 5 men in a row leaving with bouquest of roses. It made me chuckle a bit. Although I always said if you want to get me flowers get them from a store I don't need/want the expensive delivery flowers. I know some people like it but I see it as a waste of $
    I'll be honest - I do like flowers.   And if DH is going to give them I'd rather he just pick up a bouquet while he's getting something like rib eye and lobster ravioli.  
    oh I like flowers too and wish I'd get them more, I just would prefer 5 store bouqets for the price of one delivery
  • Staying in tonight. Both because it gets crazy out there and also because we’ll be tired. We’re going to make filet, garlic butter shrimp, green beans and probably rice although those twice baked potatoes are looking like a snack. Sadly I don’t know if I’ll be able to drink tonight. I kind of feel like it might be pushing it to have a rich meal like that plus alcohol after the stomach bug from hell this week. Also tomorrow I get my IUD so I don’t want to chance feeling unwell in the morning. 

• kvruns said:
    banana468 said:
    kvruns said:
    oh I like flowers too and wish I'd get them more, I just would prefer 5 store bouqets for the price of one delivery
    Agreed.   If you are in the house every day then just bring the flowers with you from the grocery store. 

And hey...a random bouquet because you just thought it would be nice would be good too.  
  • edited February 2020
    We're not doing anything special tonight. Likely Monday night we'll do "Breakfast for Dinner" - which we started 6yrs ago because we were going on a trip a few days later and didn't wanna spend anything on dinner.
    Tradition now :)
    We're excited for BabyKitten to finally to be able to partake in this lol
    Only time we've skipped it was when I was pregnant, but M made a great casserole of foods that would help indigestion and it was so thoughtful.

Weekend plans -
    Saturday - I'm going back to bed when M and BabyKitten go for swimming. Then M and I are cleaning when she naps.
    Finish grocery list.

Sunday - we have some last min cleaning to do likely. M's former coworker and his spouse are coming over. They're getting a ton of baby stuff and I'm excited to get it t.f out of our house lmao!
    They're staying for dinner. They know I have a cold and they're comfortable with still coming over.

Monday - holiday. Sleep likely. Maybe I'll convince M to go thru some stuff for donation while BabyKitten sleeps.
    Hoping he'll finish her closet.
  • I keep forgetting Monday is a holiday.  Including in Canada (@MissKittyDanger).

Apparently for everyone, but me, lol.  Womp-womp.  For some reason, my company does not include President's Day in our holidays.

Not next week, but the week after.  I do get Tues., Feb. 25th off for Mardi Gras.  And I'm going to take a vacation day on Mon. to make it a 4-dayer.  Make no mistake, it's not like MG is some "bonus" holiday.  It's a normal work day at our Houston office.  But then they get Memorial Day off and we don't. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I keep forgetting Monday is a holiday.  Including in Canada (@MissKittyDanger).

Apparently for everyone, but me, lol.  Womp-womp.  For some reason, my company does not include President's Day in our holidays.

Not next week, but the week after.  I do get Tues., Feb. 25th off for Mardi Gras.  And I'm going to take a vacation day on Mon. to make it a 4-dayer.  Make no mistake, it's not like MG is some "bonus" holiday.  It's a normal work day at our Houston office.  But then they get Memorial Day off and we don't. 
    I am taking Monday off but don't have it off.   The next paid holiday is Memorial Day.

But the kids have Mon and Tues off so I'll take it to be with them. 
  • Monday isn't a holiday for us either, but it's a vacation day for me.

We have a pretty bare bones holiday schedule, we only get like 7 in the year, but then we get 5 floating holidays that you can take whenever, which I really prefer. Yeah, I'm going to take Xmas eve, but I'd rather have an extra day of vacation when I want it than president's day most years. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited February 2020
    I’m ditching this 9 degree weather and heading to the Caribbean. H and I don’t do much for Vday either. He did buy me a set of amethyst/tanzanite earrings to go with the ring I got last year. 

It’s not uncommon to work on President’s day, this ia the first company I worked for that gave it off to employees.  We get out at 3 too.  But I have to run a report at 3, and if it’s not ready to run I’m raising stink instead of waiting for it to be. 

• I think hubby and I will visit MIL tonight to see how she is doing after her accident.  Hubby was upset because he felt bad to make me visit his family on Valentine's Day, to which I pointed out that we weren't planning to go out and do anything so it didn't make any difference.  I'm only big on the aftermath of this holiday, which is discounted chocolates and possibly on sale orchids that no one wanted.  But ... must not buy more orchids, have too many orchids ... so hard to resist!
    I usually buy my own bouquets now instead of getting hubby to.  Sometimes I just feel like flowers, and there's no way he would know unless I tell him, and then he doesn't really know what flowers I'm in the mood for, so I'll just buy my own.  For our anniversary we went together to buy flowers, and he was actually confused at the ones I picked.  Apparently he had no idea that I sometimes like roses?  He's a funny guy.

• We are staying in tonight.  I got heart shaped ravioli earlier in the week and its H and DDs favorite, so that was easy!  I think I will get a loaf of bread from the Italian place on my way out of town, but maybe not.  I also hate the price-fix meal crazy for Valentine's Day!  One place we go for dinner, Rodizio, which is one of those all you can eat meat places, started their fancy Valentine's menu yesterday!  Which means if you stopped in for dinner last night, you were going to be shocked at a $46.99 dinner price instead of the usual $32.99!

H will get me flowers and I get H chocolates.  We also exchange cards, but that's it.  I did find a funny Valentine's card that basically said, this card was extra special for you Valentine cause I rubbed it on my boobs!  I couldn't resist as its H favorite body part on me! LOL!

This weekend, we will finish hooking up our ceiling fan in our bedroom.  Then also do our cleaning for DDs birthday party which will be the following Sunday.  That way we will only have a few finishing touches to do on Saturday/early Sunday.

Happy Valentine's Day WW!
  • We are going out for dinner tonight. Pretty sure that's the first time we've ever gone out on Valentine's Day. I gave H a card. Nothing from him though. We don't always exchange cards so no big deal. I just happen to have seen a cute card when I was a stationary store closing sale.

Tomorrow we have friends coming over for dinner, so we've been cleaning and getting the house organized. We finally hung our TV on the wall and we've been rearranging things around where it use to be. I'm going to make the dessert for tomorrow night in just a bit - chocolate pot de creme. I've never made it before but the recipe looks pretty easy. 

Yesterday, I went to lunch with friends for one of their birthdays. We had a great time. We went to a local bakery that also serves lunch. They are famous for the cakes. I think it was one of the most expensive lunches I've ever had (we split the bill for the birthday girl). It is definitely a place for special occasions only. After I got home, I wasn't feeling well and afraid it was food poisoning. The other gals and I ate the same thing. I checked with them and they were ok. I don't know what it was but I felt awful! Today I'm good though.

Have a great weekend y'all.
  • NBSquared2017NBSquared2017 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited February 2020
    We are staying in tonight.  I got heart shaped ravioli earlier in the week and its H and DDs favorite, so that was easy!  I think I will get a loaf of bread from the Italian place on my way out of town, but maybe not.  I also hate the price-fix meal crazy for Valentine's Day!  One place we go for dinner, Rodizio, which is one of those all you can eat meat places, started their fancy Valentine's menu yesterday!  Which means if you stopped in for dinner last night, you were going to be shocked at a $46.99 dinner price instead of the usual $32.99!

H will get me flowers and I get H chocolates.  We also exchange cards, but that's it.  I did find a funny Valentine's card that basically said, this card was extra special for you Valentine cause I rubbed it on my boobs!  I couldn't resist as its H favorite body part on me! LOL!

This weekend, we will finish hooking up our ceiling fan in our bedroom.  Then also do our cleaning for DDs birthday party which will be the following Sunday.  That way we will only have a few finishing touches to do on Saturday/early Sunday.

***STUCK***

@OliveOilsMom - the Rodizio in Voorhees? H and I hit them up for sunday lunch all the time! One of my favorite restaurants!

We have a pretty bare bones holiday schedule, we only get like 7 in the year, but then we get 5 floating holidays that you can take whenever, which I really prefer. Yeah, I'm going to take Xmas eve, but I'd rather have an extra day of vacation when I want it than president's day most years. 
    I used to work for a company that had, what I thought was a novel approach to time off.  They actually changed it, while I worked there.

They threw EVERYTHING in a bucket.  Sick/vacation/holidays.  Everything.  And it wasn't "shorted" or anything after the change.  I think we'd previously had 8 holidays, so now they added 64 hours to your PTO time to account for those.  You just didn't have to take them on the specific holidays anymore.

You couldn't work on weekends (without permission), because those were not normal work days.  But if Christmas/NYD/whatever fell on a Wed. and you wanted to work and save that PTO time to use elsewhere, have at it! 

The first year was a real adjustment for some people though, lol.  Geez, the whining, "I don't understand why at least Christmas isn't a holiday anymore!"  No!  You don't get it!  Ugh!  The hours...for Christmas...are still there.  They didn't disappear.  They didn't get taken away from us.  You just now have the choice of using them...or not...for Christmas.

It was a bit of a mental shift but, once I thought about it and let it sink in better, it was actually a pretty fantastic idea because of all the extra flexibility it gave.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

To be fair, Monday was only a holiday in about the last decade. It's "Family Day" - meant for retail workers to have time off :)

I used to work for a company that had, what I thought was a novel approach to time off.  They actually changed it, while I worked there.

They threw EVERYTHING in a bucket.  Sick/vacation/holidays.  Everything.  And it wasn't "shorted" or anything after the change.  I think we'd previously had 8 holidays, so now they added 64 hours to your PTO time to account for those.  You just didn't have to take them on the specific holidays anymore.

You couldn't work on weekends (without permission), because those were not normal work days.  But if Christmas/NYD/whatever fell on a Wed. and you wanted to work and save that PTO time to use elsewhere, have at it! 

The first year was a real adjustment for some people though, lol.  Geez, the whining, "I don't understand why at least Christmas isn't a holiday anymore!"  No!  You don't get it!  Ugh!  The hours...for Christmas...are still there.  They didn't disappear.  They didn't get taken away from us.  You just now have the choice of using them...or not...for Christmas.

It was a bit of a mental shift but, once I thought about it and let it sink in better, it was actually a pretty fantastic idea because of all the extra flexibility it gave.
    I would love if my company did something like that, as long as they didn't change the plants or require anyone to work those holidays. I would so rather take a random 3-day weekend than have Labor Day or Memorial Day when it's too crowded and expensive to go anywhere. Plus, my sister works at the hospital and has to work a lot of holidays, so we often end up doing nothing at all on actual T-giving/Xmas, and doing a different day. It would be nice to have a bonus vacation day. 

My company is global, which means a lot of our employees don't celebrate the same holidays. When we moved work to India last year, we had to align schedules. It's really interesting to learn about the big deal federal holidays, but also the bullshit school's out holidays in another country. Doing something like the above would make a lot of sense to keep things cohesive around the world, as long as you kept the flexibility that everyone who wanted to could take the big holidays. 
  • We are staying in tonight.  I got heart shaped ravioli earlier in the week and its H and DDs favorite, so that was easy!  I think I will get a loaf of bread from the Italian place on my way out of town, but maybe not.  I also hate the price-fix meal crazy for Valentine's Day!  One place we go for dinner, Rodizio, which is one of those all you can eat meat places, started their fancy Valentine's menu yesterday!  Which means if you stopped in for dinner last night, you were going to be shocked at a $46.99 dinner price instead of the usual $32.99!

***STUCK***

@OliveOilsMom - the Rodizio in Voorhees? H and I hit them up for sunday lunch all the time! One of my favorite restaurants!
    @NBSquared2017 Yes!  That is the one!  If you aren't, sign up for their email club, you get a free dinner for your birthday!  H and I are both signed up for it!  You can even use it for their Sunday brunch!  They do have a good brunch too!

And if interested, I got the raviolis from Severinos in Westmont and the chocolates from Aunt Charlotte's in Merchantville!  It was my first time going to Aunt Charlotte's but they've been around for 100 years, so they must be doing something right!  Severinos is good too, maybe a little pricey, but everything is made right there in store!