Wedding Woes

Thursday!

Finally Thursday! There are terrible paint fumes in my office so I’m at an office down the street. I should have just went to work work from home (which I might do later today). But I’ve basically gotten nothing done in the meantime. 

H took the dog to the vet this morning and said the poor guy was overwhelmed by all the other dogs (who were much better behaved) and just wanted to play with them all. 

Re: Thursday!

• I need a day off from my day off.  I was so ridiculously busy yesterday with running around and whatnot.  I had lunch with a friend and stopped by mom and dad's too.  And went 5 bajillion other places.  Once I was back home, I did a ton of stuff around the house. 

Lots of family is making their way to town.  So I've been trying to help with coordination on all that.  

I've been trying to keep the ways I internally pressure myself at bay (because a TON of my anxiety comes from the fact that I feel indecisive about something, but then pressure myself to make a decision before I'm ready/thought through it).  Not every text or phone call needs to be responded to right away if I'm talked out, in my head, or otherwise not feeling it.  The next few months are going to be hard enough without making myself batty in the process.  DH is good at talking things out with me and helping me figure out how to respond. 

Otherwise, SSDD

Just got the notification that Warren is dropping out. Blerg.  

Prudie coming up.  
  • I need more hand lotion!  The washing hands is taking its toll on my dry skin.   I think I've sung my ABCs and Happy Birthday to myself more than when my kids were toddlers. 

Tomorrow a client advises us if we get to keep doing their business after the portion of the account was out to bid.   I am crossing my fingers and hopeful that there are no job front disruptions.  

• I am super sad about Warren dropping out. Ugh

SSDD for me here. FI and I keep going back about heading to Vegas in a few weeks. His work is having a trip and sometimes they pay for him to have his own room but we’re not sure if they’ll do that this time. Or if we even want to go if we won’t be able to spend the majority of the trip together. I’m leaving it up to him. Technically we should stay home to save money and so we can go together another time.  It really depends on how much his work covers. 

• banana468 said:
    I need more hand lotion!  The washing hands is taking its toll on my dry skin.   I think I've sung my ABCs and Happy Birthday to myself more than when my kids were toddlers. 
    I swear by this, in the winter especially.  There's a jar at my desk, on my nightstand, and tube in my purse.  It keeps your skin hydrated for a long time, but isn't sticky or greasy. 

Image result for first aid beauty ultra repair cream
  • So we're working on planning our Feb 2021 trip - definitely Mexico. Looking at Excellence Riviera Cancun.
    Looks beautiful.

Cleaning this weekend because realtor is coming to give us ideas on what we need to do. We know we need to clean garage and basement, plus painting.

Anyone have suggestions on what to check on what to do while prepping to sell in approx a year?

Also .... talk to me about organization. Pantry and fridge.
    What does yours look like? What did you find useful?
    Mine are just not working and we're losing food in the fridge. I tried taking out stuff that's close to going bad so we grab that first but it's not working great. I think organization is key.
    My pantry also needs cleaning/organizing.
  • @VarunaTT quite a few moms in my June 2018 mom group are in the medical field and my granny did nursing {when she was older} and it is not an easy course. So definite kudos to K :) !
  • I'm sad Warren is dropping out too.  It seems like everytime I sent money to a candidate they dropped out. :(  Maybe I need to send money to Bernie, because there is no way he can get the voters out to beat tRump.

Heading to Target on my lunch and then tonight, we are heading out to get H and DD their passports.  I took Hs picture last night and forgot to get DDs this morning.  So I will need to do that and then edit them to 2 inches and get them printed out before we leave.  H will have a quick dinner ready for us when I get home, so hopefully my tasks to get us out to the County store quickly won't give me problems!
  • See Boy II, i actually liked it @VarunaTT.  I should see a movie tonight too.
    my hands are drier than normal too. Constantly lotioning up. Oh yeah, it’s a word.
    @mrsconn23 , seems like your handling things well.  Just keep swimming!  And keep yourself busy!

2020 hasn’t been treating me all to well.  My divorce, car problems, less than stellar review with paycut, weight gain I can’t get under control (don’t people lose in this type of stress?).  If something good can happen to me soon, I’d really appreciate it. 

• I have returned from Mexico and am back to reality aka work. I'm super exhausted and had 1065 emails to read, literally. BUT had so much fun and it was a really great trip. I got to meet my best friend's college friends (she went up to Buffalo, and I'd only met very few of them over all these years). 

I ended up loving Tulum way more than Playa. Saw lots of cool stuff, like ruins and cenotes. 
    I constantly look into cruises for a Mexico stop for the mayan ruins!  Glad your giving them a good review and welcome back!

• @MyNameIsNot We've been purging stuff a lot lately. BabyKitten I bag up as soon as something doesn't fit. I have 2 bags of stuff being sold soon ;)
    - Paint we're doing kitchen and 2 bathrooms around late April-early May?
    - December 2018 we redid our bathtub.
    - I need to wash our floors, because I think that may help them look "fresher" {they were done in 2016 before we moved in} Dark wood - wonderful but shows EVERYTHING!
    - Basement and garage have so much crap, we're doing that in the summer if we haven't finished going thru it all before then.
    - Yard we're going to clean up, but making a section for a garden area and removing a tree. {all M is doing is building a barrier around where the garden will be so I can get better levels of depth for dirt/roots} And front area needs to be redone with dirt - outdoor cats around may have thrown off the dirt so I wanna clear that up before planting anything.

Our TV is mounted. We'll obv fill the holes, but painting .... I'm thinking we should but I don't wanna do that then have to remount the tv to make more holes :\ 

• I'm finally back! We went to the beach two weeks ago. It was amazing and the pupper learned to swim in the ocean. She loved it! When we got home, we closed on the house sale and then the purchase, and I got thrown into a shitty project at work. Today is the first day I've been WFH in weeks, and there are already movers here. (We held over on the sale, so don't have to be out until Monday.) It's been so busy that I can't see straight, but I'm so excited! We get to sleep in our new house tomorrow night. 

@MissKittyDanger Purge everything. Your closets, pantries, etc look much larger if they're half full. Get rid of things you don't need now, and then when it's time to list, box up half your stuff before you do. Especially with Baby Kitten, I'm sure you have a ton of stuff that she's outgrown that can go. Also, look for simple updates to make the house feel fresh. If you can refinish the floor/replace the carpet, paint, update light fixtures, blinds, etc, it will make the house feel fresh. When we were looking, we noticed that houses that looked "done" were sold in 2-3 days, while houses that needed even those basic cosmetic touches sat on the market for weeks. (And of course the ones that sell fast get multiple offers, so more $$.)
    My dog has only been in the ocean once and she loved it, too!  She was VERY apprehensive for the first 15 minutes.  But, once she got comfortable, she was so cute!  We discovered her favorite ball floated and she always loves playing ball.  Even when we weren't throwing it for her, she'd swim around with it in her mouth the whole time, lol.  My H and I need to take her back out sometime.  

@MissKittyDanger, this is good advice.  I know you all are already doing some painting.  It's also shocking how much changing out old/outdated cabinet hardware (if applicable) in the kitchen and bathrooms can freshen up and update the look. 

For the exterior, a new front door (if needed) and freshly painted trim goes a long way for little cost.  For curb appeal, keep the landscaping/lawn well maintained and attended to.  Your agent might have improvement suggestions for this area also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So we're working on planning our Feb 2021 trip - definitely Mexico. Looking at Excellence Riviera Cancun.
    Looks beautiful.

Cleaning this weekend because realtor is coming to give us ideas on what we need to do. We know we need to clean garage and basement, plus painting.

Anyone have suggestions on what to check on what to do while prepping to sell in approx a year?

Mine are just not working and we're losing food in the fridge. I tried taking out stuff that's close to going bad so we grab that first but it's not working great. I think organization is key.
    My parents came back from Cancun a few weeks ago and stayed at a resort that they absolutely loved.  I forget what it was called though ... I know it was north of Cancun.  They go down south once a year and have been for about a decade, and they said that this trip was the best one they've ever been on - I hope you have the same experience!

I would be a lot more organized if I wasn't married ... so the only way I'm getting organized is getting my own house.  Hubby is a bit of a pack rat.  Sigh.

• I'm sad Warren is dropping out too.  It seems like everytime I sent money to a candidate they dropped out. :(  Maybe I need to send money to Bernie, because there is no way he can get the voters out to beat tRump.

Heading to Target on my lunch and then tonight, we are heading out to get H and DD their passports.  I took Hs picture last night and forgot to get DDs this morning.  So I will need to do that and then edit them to 2 inches and get them printed out before we leave.  H will have a quick dinner ready for us when I get home, so hopefully my tasks to get us out to the County store quickly won't give me problems!
    Warren was my favorite (sigh).

Such a dilemma now!  I give a lot of weight to candidates who stick to their values even when it isn't popular.  Sanders seems like he's been that kind of politician and I really respect that.  But I already lean liberal and find some of his policies too liberal for me.  So, if he's too liberal even for me, I think he'll lose too much ground with the important middle-of-the-roaders/undecided.

Because of that, I think Biden is the better Democratic choice.  I think he has a much better shot at beating Trump.  But I don't care for Biden.  I really need to read more about his policies in the hopes that I'll like him better, lol.  But there is something about him that I find cringy and off-putting. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Clocks changing again this weekend!  More daylight!  Yaasss!

Though, speaking of clocks.  The clock in my cell phone went haywire today.  I have no idea what that is all about.  It kept "insisting" it was in the Eastern time zone.  You're not, Phone.  We're in Central.  I finally had to turn off that "notification" and manually set it to the correct time.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm finally back! We went to the beach two weeks ago. It was amazing and the pupper learned to swim in the ocean. She loved it! When we got home, we closed on the house sale and then the purchase, and I got thrown into a shitty project at work. Today is the first day I've been WFH in weeks, and there are already movers here. (We held over on the sale, so don't have to be out until Monday.) It's been so busy that I can't see straight, but I'm so excited! We get to sleep in our new house tomorrow night. 

@MissKittyDanger Purge everything. Your closets, pantries, etc look much larger if they're half full. Get rid of things you don't need now, and then when it's time to list, box up half your stuff before you do. Especially with Baby Kitten, I'm sure you have a ton of stuff that she's outgrown that can go. Also, look for simple updates to make the house feel fresh. If you can refinish the floor/replace the carpet, paint, update light fixtures, blinds, etc, it will make the house feel fresh. When we were looking, we noticed that houses that looked "done" were sold in 2-3 days, while houses that needed even those basic cosmetic touches sat on the market for weeks. (And of course the ones that sell fast get multiple offers, so more $$.)
    My dog has only been in the ocean once and she loved it, too!  She was VERY apprehensive for the first 15 minutes.  But, once she got comfortable, she was so cute!  We discovered her favorite ball floated and she always loves playing ball.  Even when we weren't throwing it for her, she'd swim around with it in her mouth the whole time, lol.  My H and I need to take her back out sometime.  

@MissKittyDanger, this is good advice.  I know you all are already doing some painting.  It's also shocking how much changing out old/outdated cabinet hardware (if applicable) in the kitchen and bathrooms can freshen up and update the look. 

For the exterior, a new front door (if needed) and freshly painted trim goes a long way for little cost.  For curb appeal, keep the landscaping/lawn well maintained and attended to.  Your agent might have improvement suggestions for this area also.
    We currently are in a condo corp, so the front yard is always taken care of.
    I made a list of what we're currently planning. Tbh if we plan well, our current plans will be done in like 6 months.
  • kerbohl said:
    So we're working on planning our Feb 2021 trip - definitely Mexico. Looking at Excellence Riviera Cancun.
    Looks beautiful.

My parents came back from Cancun a few weeks ago and stayed at a resort that they absolutely loved.  I forget what it was called though ... I know it was north of Cancun.  They go down south once a year and have been for about a decade, and they said that this trip was the best one they've ever been on - I hope you have the same experience!

I would be a lot more organized if I wasn't married ... so the only way I'm getting organized is getting my own house.  Hubby is a bit of a pack rat.  Sigh.
    I married a pack rat too, but also a procrastinator.

Best idea I've done, is to pre-emptively tell them that you wanna sort through stuff on X-Day and give a time frame and/or showing them what is to be expected.
    For example, I told M that on Friday I'll be taking his stuff out of the closet and his drawers to sort thru.
    I said to give it an hour. Then he can continue on the video game he's advised he'll be playing.

I found this method easiest so that way the know what's being done, when and how much.
    One point I said to M "let's sit for a bit and go thru this box. You just sort keep and toss, I'll put it in the trash or aside. We can put on some fun jams too!" {to make it fun} and we ended up doing 3 boxes because he got into a groove :) 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I was bummed about Warren too.  SSDD for me otherwise.
  • kerbohl said:
    So we're working on planning our Feb 2021 trip - definitely Mexico. Looking at Excellence Riviera Cancun.
    Looks beautiful.

Best idea I've done, is to pre-emptively tell them that you wanna sort through stuff on X-Day and give a time frame and/or showing them what is to be expected.
    For example, I told M that on Friday I'll be taking his stuff out of the closet and his drawers to sort thru.
    I said to give it an hour. Then he can continue on the video game he's advised he'll be playing.

I found this method easiest so that way the know what's being done, when and how much.
    One point I said to M "let's sit for a bit and go thru this box. You just sort keep and toss, I'll put it in the trash or aside. We can put on some fun jams too!" {to make it fun} and we ended up doing 3 boxes because he got into a groove :) 
    We're talking whole rooms of stuff that hubby has ... but his stuff has started to spill into spaces that were designated for my stuff, and no amount of telling him that he needs to have less stuff seems to work.  I think my biggest gripe is the bowflex - he's had it for a decade, and he has not used it in at least four years.  It is right by the backyard door, which is an exit that only I use, and it is such a hassle to get around it.  I've tried the whole "if you don't use it by x day we're getting rid of it".  That was a good year ago ... I hate it so much.  So much.  

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2020
    kerbohl said:

We're talking whole rooms of stuff that hubby has ... but his stuff has started to spill into spaces that were designated for my stuff, and no amount of telling him that he needs to have less stuff seems to work.  I think my biggest gripe is the bowflex - he's had it for a decade, and he has not used it in at least four years.  It is right by the backyard door, which is an exit that only I use, and it is such a hassle to get around it.  I've tried the whole "if you don't use it by x day we're getting rid of it".  That was a good year ago ... I hate it so much.  So much.  
    You need to put teeth behind the threat ;).

Put together a FB Marketplace ad and/or wherever you might chose to sell it (even if you don't plan to sell it).  Ready to hit the "post" button.  And tell him again...if you don't use it or move it to one of YOUR areas by X date...I'm posting the ad and I'm either selling it or putting it on the curb.

M H "kind of" did that to me, lol.  Except his threat was either giving some of my specific stuff away or putting it out on the curb.  Primarily gifts from Harrah's that I wasn't using and was planning to sell.  I understood his ultimatum and...yeah, still procrastinated and didn't put them up for sale, so he did exactly what he said he would.  But what PO'ed me about it was, at the time, I was working f/t.  But he wasn't!  He had a p/t job that was about 12 hours a week but, other than that, was lying around the f**king house.

At one point I asked if he could just take the pics, put the ads together, and post them.  But he was annoyed by the stuff and thought that was my responsibility.  I felt guilty about the stuff, so I didn't push that.  But, in hindsight, I really should have!  Looking back without the filter of guilt, I see more clearly what a RIDICULOUS stance and D**K move that was, on his part, to refuse to help me sell the things.

So I started this post with lighthearted advice for you, @kerbohl.  But now I'm ending it feeling temporarily mad again and resentful of my H's action.

Edited because I addressed this to the wrong WW "k" username, lol.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kerbohl said:
    kerbohl said:
    Looks beautiful.

I would tell him it needs to go, and if he hasn't moved it to his space by next Friday, you will. And then follow through and throw it out. We have a local consignment shop that buys sports equipment. You could probably sell it for at least what it would cost to rent a truck and a pair of hands to lift it. 

I don't put up with this kind of BS. 
  • See, the problem is that he says if I get rid of it, it's going to make him feel like his only chance to get into shape is gone, and he's never going to try to exercise ... which I know, sounds like a excuse, but is something he will follow through with.  The only time he was ever in shape was using the Bowflex, and in his head he thinks it is the only thing that will work, and it would be too much mental effort to find something non-bowflex related to use to get in shape.  Which, yeah, he's not exercising using it anyways so it doesn't make any difference if I get rid of it, BUT it's going to make him depressed.  So yeah ... hate the stupid thing, but also hate what getting rid of it will put us both through.

• kerbohl said:
    See, the problem is that he says if I get rid of it, it's going to make him feel like his only chance to get into shape is gone, and he's never going to try to exercise ... which I know, sounds like a excuse, but is something he will follow through with.  The only time he was ever in shape was using the Bowflex, and in his head he thinks it is the only thing that will work, and it would be too much mental effort to find something non-bowflex related to use to get in shape.  Which, yeah, he's not exercising using it anyways so it doesn't make any difference if I get rid of it, BUT it's going to make him depressed.  So yeah ... hate the stupid thing, but also hate what getting rid of it will put us both through.
    Omg his bowflex is my “skinny jeans” (the size not the style lol).  I’ve had jeans in my closet for years I don’t fit. But one day I will.  But I’ll never fit them if I get rid of them!!!!

• @CharmedPam Yes, that is it exactly!  I couldn't have said it better!  I also have a pair of pants in my closest I don't fit ... and I also am not getting rid of them.

• But speaking of that, I REALLY should go into my closet sometime this month to make a goodwill bag. I haven’t done that in awhile and I’ve gone up and down and up and down.  It’ll actually be hard to donate because it’s like... will I lose weight by trying to lose weight? or get fatter by trying to lose weight?  My body likes to keep it a mystery. 

• But speaking of that, I REALLY should go into my closet sometime this month to make a goodwill bag. I haven’t done that in awhile and I’ve gone up and down and up and down.  It’ll actually be hard to donate because it’s like... will I lose weight by trying to lose weight? or get fatter by trying to lose weight?  My body likes to keep it a mystery. 
    I felt this in my soul. Lol

• kerbohl said:
    @CharmedPam Yes, that is it exactly!  I couldn't have said it better!  I also have a pair of pants in my closest I don't fit ... and I also am not getting rid of them.
    I just "let go" of every pant/short/skirt in one "true" size - not because I'll never be in shape again, but because I'll never be that shape again (thanks, kids). I'm comfortable with being the same post-baby weight eventually (I did get back there between DD2 and DS), just with wider hips.

But that's the only reason I'm okay with letting that be.