Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Marriage Under Construction Party???

Hello! 
So my husband and I have have friends that are getting married this year and they invited us to a marriage under construction party. We actually received a hard copy invitation with an rsvp date and everything. Have absolutely no idea what that is and what it means. The invite said to come celebrate them at their new fixer-upper house and provide constructive words for their new marriage.

Is this an engagement party? Is this a house warming party? I’ve never heard of this before and not sure if this requires bringing a gift. Help!

Re: Marriage Under Construction Party???

• Options
    I would call and ask them.

After a quick Googling I think "Marriage Under Construction" is an HGTV series of couples who buy fixer upper homes.   But that still doesn't tell you WTF they're doing. 

Find out the intent and then base what you'er doing off it.  I wouldn't have a clue either. 
  • Options
    Hello! 
    So my husband and I have have friends that are getting married this year and they invited us to a marriage under construction party. We actually received a hard copy invitation with an rsvp date and everything. Have absolutely no idea what that is and what it means. The invite said to come celebrate them at their new fixer-upper house and provide constructive words for their new marriage.

Is this an engagement party? Is this a house warming party? I’ve never heard of this before and not sure if this requires bringing a gift. Help!
    The doubting Thomas in me fears it is a party where the “fun” is helping this couple renovate their fixer upper.  Your gift would be your time and “talents” in helping them repair/repaint this home.  Color me worried for you LOL
  • Options
    MobKaz said:
    Hello! 

The doubting Thomas in me fears it is a party where the “fun” is helping this couple renovate their fixer upper.  Your gift would be your time and “talents” in helping them repair/repaint this home.  Color me worried for you LOL
    Also why I think it's best to call the hosts.   Ask them what the party is and what it involves. 
  • Options
    MobKaz said:
    Hello! 

I was thinking the same thing! OP I agree with @banana468, call and ask.
  • Options
    UPDATE: Okay so I asked the host of the party. She said it’s a wedding shower for the bride and groom but they don’t want traditional wedding gifts (his and her towels, blender, coffee maker, etc) they just want stuff to help build their home so like Lowe’s and Home Depot gift cards and the like. We are not going to be doing any helping with their house, so no getting down and dirty lol. I feel like they should have specified this on the invite, but oh well- ain’t my party! Just wanted to let anyone know in case they one day receive an invitation of this sort! Thanks all! 
  • Options
    UPDATE: Okay so I asked the host of the party. She said it’s a wedding shower for the bride and groom but they don’t want traditional wedding gifts (his and her towels, blender, coffee maker, etc) they just want stuff to help build their home so like Lowe’s and Home Depot gift cards and the like. We are not going to be doing any helping with their house, so no getting down and dirty lol. I feel like they should have specified this on the invite, but oh well- ain’t my party! Just wanted to let anyone know in case they one day receive an invitation of this sort! Thanks all! 
    I eye-roll this so hard, they’re just asking for money to specific stores. If they actually registered at Lowe’s/Home Depot I’d be all about it but IMO they’re just asking you to give them money to renovate their house. 
  • Options
    Thanks for the update!

Though I'm with @charlotte989875.  Although showers are a gift-giving event, it's gift-grabby when the host and/or wedding couple turn it into a "gift card"-giving event.

It's really up to you, OP.  I personally would be more likely to decline a party like this and wouldn't get a gift.  Because part of what I like about a shower is watching the bride or couple open gifts.  Though, to be fair, I don't give shower gifts anyway if I'm not going to a shower for whatever reason.  However, if it was something I wanted to attend, I'd bring a card with some handwritten marriage advice in it...because it sounds like they asked for that also...and the gift card they requested in it for about the same amount I would have planned to spend on a shower gift.

I think good general advice to learn from this couple is:  "If your guests need to ask what your party is, you did something wrong with either the invite or the event theme.  Or both."  Lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I am with @short+sassy.  With such a vague invitation, I might be inclined to “follow directions”, and bring a card with some wedding advice included.  With no registry or indication this is a gift giving event, I might bring a bottle of wine.  
  • Options
    So they're throwing their own shower?  I'm eyerolling it too.   

But I'd probably get them a GC to Lowe's or HD.
  • Options
    Joining Team Side-Eye. I might send a card wishing them the best, but otherwise, I'm staying home.