Wedding Woes

Thursday!

It's Prudie day!!  

I'm trying NOT to read too much into all the wild predictions that keep coming out. But this being the 'norm' for 18 months is terrifying.  But also with the way this spreads, wouldn't it infect all of the US faster?  OK, done spiraling. 

Mom is waiting to get released from the hospital.  I'm hoping they have a plan to keep her OUT of the hospital.  I hate that I ask questions and get an 'unsure' response.  

We tried to get DefConn to go to FIL's today.  He was not interested.  I said next time he's not going to have a choice.  LOL

Work is still insane.  People are crazy AF.  I canceled my days off next week because it's not like we can go anywhere, even in town. For now I think I'm going to focus on working during the week, and doing the OT I can do without making myself crazy.  And weekends are reserved for the 3 of us to chill. My friend's sales trip for May was canceled, so no Bermuda for us.  I knew it was coming, but having it be 'official' blows.  I also canceled my PTO request for that.  But hey, now I have PTO to use later.  Silver linings and all that. 

Other than that, SSDD in quarantine.  

Re: Thursday!

• 18 months?!? Who said 18? Eeeek.  
    My friend was just asked to take a pay cut (it’s an org not an LLC) and now I’m getting worried.  I couldn’t sleep so took a 5 mile walk at 2 a.m.  lol.

Some states don’t have mandatory shut downs.  My parents just said restaurants in TN were closing but it was by choice only so not all of them. We need everyone to follow this to make it work, the social distancing will be prolonged if not everyone takes it seriously.  

• Our state legislature and governor deserve to be fired into the sun.  I'm so angry with them, which i didn't know it was possible for me to be more angry at them that I already was.  I hope the voters of this state finally hand the Republican Party their ENTIRE ass this upcoming year and boot them TF out.

The 18 months is the entirety of the journey, but we need to get through this first wave and flatten the curve.  If we can do an entire lockdown, get it undercontrol and give the system time to catch up with masks, ventilators, and research, we'd be able to ride out the rest of the time with social distancing still a thing, but not complete isolation from each other.  Which is worrying for social health issues.

Work finally released a statement and it was BS.  I was like, everyone is already doing all of this crap, we want to know WTF your plan is for when we're shut down.  And what your plan is for the parents.  Not, "we'll have hand sanitizer in common areas."  It's exhausting.  I'm having a lot of problems concentrating at work, b/c of the worry . So, SSDD for a pandemic, I guess.
  • People are freaking out at work. Yesterday the company finally came out with WFH options for a select few. I’m pretty unhappy with how they’ve handled this. FFS, we’re a healthcare organization. Something like this should have had action plans in place long before it reached a critical peak. Just like we should have a plan for if a natural disaster like an earthquake was to occur. Ugh. 

I’m just trying to make it to the weekend so I can have a drink. 

• Just another day in isolation here. We're doing video chats with our team a few times a week, I guess to make sure no one is losing it, but someone mentioned the 18 month thing today. I don't think normal will ever be quite the same as it was before. Sort of like how post 9/11 normal was never quite the same as pre-9/11. 

I've been thinking I should probably get some cash. I don't know why I think I'll need it, but it's ingrained from hurricane preparation. So, I think I'm going to head out to the ATM later today. The dog is getting restless. She ate a roll of TP yesterday. H told her she'd done $5K worth of damage to our bathroom. :D  I'm thinking about taking her to daycare for a few hours tomorrow or Saturday just to give her a change of pace. We've been avoiding the dog park lately. 
  • @short+sassy Aw, so cute!  MB sounds absolutely adorable.  I feel like my dog would love her.  Some days I wish I could get a cat ...

I just found out today that the Kentucky Derby has been postponed until September.  I've been ignoring my brother who has been all upset over the lack of sports, but now I understand his pain ... it's bumming me out far more than it should, so I've been planning a replacement road trip for my probably cancelled European trip.  Hubby and I might go visit the surprisingly large number of castles in Ohio for a road trip.  Don't know when it will happen, but I can at least plan it so I have that to look forward to.

• @short+sassy, video or it never happened 😆 

• @kerbohl, I saw that about the Derby the other day.  Going to the Kentucky Derby someday is on my bucket list!  It just looks so fun with all the big hats and mint juleps as the drink of choice.

Planning future trips sounds like a great plan to look forward to something positive!

Technically, I have not cancelled my European cruise yet, but I have until May 7th to do that.  Not that I'll wait until the last minute!  But I can't cancel my cruise, I can only postpone it.  But when I "cancel", I need to chose my new cruise dates right away.  Aaannddd I can't choose my new cruise dates, until I know what Delta is going to be doing about my flight.  Technically, right now, non-refundable flights that are May 1st or later are still the normal "too bad, you lost ALL the money, so sad for you" policy.  I thought they would lighten that up after flights to Europe were pretty much banned, albeit for the time being.  But nope.  Apparently my date is still considered too far out.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy I am in the same boat (sorry, pun on your cruise) when it comes to flights.  They have the cancellation policy up until April 30th, but I leave on May 3rd ... so it's really a wait and see sort of thing.  The people I'm going with are fine with not cancelling for a few more weeks, but things would have to clear up REALLY fast for everything to go as planned.  And regardless, I'm thinking we won't be seeing Keukenhof, since the Dutch flower industry has taken a huge hit.  

Kentucky Derby is also very much so on my bucket list as well!  They have a horse race in Toronto called the Queen's Plate that is sort of Canada's version, and I've gone to it for the past four years and worn the fancy hats and whatnot, but it pales in comparison to the Derby.  

• 18 months?!? Who said 18? Eeeek.  
    My friend was just asked to take a pay cut (it’s an org not an LLC) and now I’m getting worried.  I couldn’t sleep so took a 5 mile walk at 2 a.m.  lol.

Some states don’t have mandatory shut downs.  My parents just said restaurants in TN were closing but it was by choice only so not all of them. We need everyone to follow this to make it work, the social distancing will be prolonged if not everyone takes it seriously.  
    No one. There is no official advice that this is lasting 18 months. Just speculation and thoughts taken out of context that I wish people would stop repeating. 
  • kerbohl said:
    @short+sassy I am in the same boat (sorry, pun on your cruise) when it comes to flights.  They have the cancellation policy up until April 30th, but I leave on May 3rd ... so it's really a wait and see sort of thing.  The people I'm going with are fine with not cancelling for a few more weeks, but things would have to clear up REALLY fast for everything to go as planned.  And regardless, I'm thinking we won't be seeing Keukenhof, since the Dutch flower industry has taken a huge hit.  

Kentucky Derby is also very much so on my bucket list as well!  They have a horse race in Toronto called the Queen's Plate that is sort of Canada's version, and I've gone to it for the past four years and worn the fancy hats and whatnot, but it pales in comparison to the Derby.  
    Oh, plus!  The other benefit to waiting a bit is I'm sure it's a madhouse right now for anyone in the travel industry.  Like what @mrsconn23 was talking about.  No reason for me to tie up more time, when their are people with March/April travel plans who should be the priority.

I actually live walking distance to the race track in New Orleans!  I've never gone on opening day myself.  But I'll often hang out on my porch a bit and enjoy the people/hat watching, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @short+sassy, video or it never happened 😆 
    My H and I were talking about how much we WISH we had one, lol.  Mainly for our own enjoyment.  But we were also joking we could catapult Maple Bar into the latest Internet-famous cat, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • WFH today and its going well for me.  They closed the firm at noon today.  We still sent DD into daycare.  H had to be in the office and had a follow-up doctor's appointment too. 

I know I need to keep DD home, but I'm also concerned about the teachers.  They are hourly and if kids don't show up - will they be paid their normal hours?  They are keeping the building clean and have new policies in place for pick up/drop off.  I'm still paying full price, but I just don't know and go back and forth.  H is the same as me.  I think we will keep her home tomorrow and re-evaluate next week.

We still have Ireland on our agenda for mid-May.  I have the benefit of knowing people there personally, so in early April, I will ask them what they think is best.  They are living there and are shut down too, so I will see how things go.  Right now, I can get refunded for everything and get a credit for my flights.
  • levioosa said:
    People are freaking out at work. Yesterday the company finally came out with WFH options for a select few. I’m pretty unhappy with how they’ve handled this. FFS, we’re a healthcare organization. Something like this should have had action plans in place long before it reached a critical peak. Just like we should have a plan for if a natural disaster like an earthquake was to occur. Ugh. 

I’m just trying to make it to the weekend so I can have a drink. 
    Honestly I don’t think many organizations had a plan for this. We had a division call this morning with our head of risk who basically said we typically have continuity plans for blizzards, water main breaks, other lack of service but nothing without an end date.

It’s crazy though as a healthcare company there wasn’t more of a plan for a healthcare emergency. I will say my company has handled it better than most. My division went WFH early last week and we’re now indefinitely at home. 

I had vacation scheduled for Friday and Monday (supposed to be for my SILs shower in Pittsburgh but obviously that’s not happening) but I’m still going to take the time off. I need a break and my team can get a hold of me if they need me. 

Hoping your Mom can leave and stay home @mrsconn23; maybe I’m wrong unlit I’d assume they’d want to get her home and safe quickly. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Hope your mom is well enough to return home @mrsconn23
    @OliveOilsMom that's a tough call about sending DD to daycare!  My sister and BIL are still having their nanny come even though they don't love the idea of her riding the train to get to them..they don't want her to go without pay.
    @charlotte989875 I had a shower to attend this weekend too, which was canceled.  I was about to order invites for my sister's baby shower (currently scheduled for 6/6) but my mom, other sis and I agreed to hold off on ordering for now.

E-learning is going pretty well for my students.  They're HS age.  My own kids are definitely learning but they all miss their friends and teachers.  My oldest is in Kindergarten, my district gives ipads at that age so she's had a few webex sessions with her class and she absolutely lights up.  My twins in PreK don't have that option- they FaceTimed with their teachers and some friends and were happy enough.  

Today is St. Joseph's Day...the kids helped me make stuffed shells, focaccia bread and broccoli rabe..I did pick up the San Giuseppe zeppole from the bakery...still trying to support local economy somehow  ;)
  • ei34 said:
    @OliveOilsMom that's a tough call about sending DD to daycare!  My sister and BIL are still having their nanny come even though they don't love the idea of her riding the train to get to them..they don't want her to go without pay.
    @charlotte989875 I had a shower to attend this weekend too, which was canceled.  I was about to order invites for my sister's baby shower (currently scheduled for 6/6) but my mom, other sis and I agreed to hold off on ordering for now.

E-learning is going pretty well for my students.  They're HS age.  My own kids are definitely learning but they all miss their friends and teachers.  My oldest is in Kindergarten, my district gives ipads at that age so she's had a few webex sessions with her class and she absolutely lights up.  My twins in PreK don't have that option- they FaceTimed with their teachers and some friends and were happy enough.  

Today is St. Joseph's Day...the kids helped me make stuffed shells, focaccia bread and broccoli rabe..I did pick up the San Giuseppe zeppole from the bakery...still trying to support local economy somehow  ;)
    One of my coworkers is so creative!  She adorned one of her outside cubicle walls with a fireplace mantle.  It's a good-sized section of the wall.  From floor to waist-high and about 3' wide.  Inside the mantle, there is thick black paper with a picture of a log-fire on it.

She adorns the mantle with decorations for each season/holiday.  March started with some St. Patrick's Day decorations.  But she added a St. Joseph's altar earlier this week.  There are two small jars filled with lucky beans and an  explanation of the history behind them.  Plus an encouragement for people to take a lucky bean.  I took one and told my coworker, "I hope lucky beans are super-charged this year!  We need it."

I never heard of this until I moved to New Orleans, but St. Joseph is also the one who helps you sell your house.  You're supposed to bury a little statue of him, upside down and facing your house, while you have it for sale.  With the joke being to make sure he's facing your house or he'll sell your neighbor's house.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @mrsconn23 you’re in the travel industry, right? Have you heard anything about Bookit.com going under? FSIL booked a trip on there and now it looks like they might go bankrupt and FSIL will be out $2500. I’m so glad we didn’t book the trip together. 

• levioosa said:
    @mrsconn23 you’re in the travel industry, right? Have you heard anything about Bookit.com going under? FSIL booked a trip on there and now it looks like they might go bankrupt and FSIL will be out $2500. I’m so glad we didn’t book the trip together. 
    I have not, but they're a small outlet.  So I would not be surprised.  However, they may wish to look at the fine print and see if they did 3rd party contracts where the reservations were actually booked via a bigger travel provider.  Also, they should see about travel insurance if they are still in limbo? 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:
    @mrsconn23 you’re in the travel industry, right? Have you heard anything about Bookit.com going under? FSIL booked a trip on there and now it looks like they might go bankrupt and FSIL will be out $2500. I’m so glad we didn’t book the trip together. 
    I have not, but they're a small outlet.  So I would not be surprised.  However, they may wish to look at the fine print and see if they did 3rd party contracts where the reservations were actually booked via a bigger travel provider.  Also, they should see about travel insurance if they are still in limbo? 
    Thanks. Unfortunately their travel insurance didn’t book when they got their trip. There were a lot of red flags even before they went under that had me like 😬😬😬

• ei34 said:

That’s when my shower is supposed to be too but we’re holding off an any planning for now as well. So many things up in the air! 
  • levioosa said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    levioosa said:
    Thanks. Unfortunately their travel insurance didn’t book when they got their trip. There were a lot of red flags even before they went under that had me like 😬😬😬
    They could try to file a dispute with their CC company.  The worst that could happen is it's not honored.  That may be their only recourse.  
  • ei34ei34 member
    ei34 said:

That’s when my shower is supposed to be too but we’re holding off an any planning for now as well. So many things up in the air! 

I think you guys are right near each other (my sister is due 7/27)..I'm sorry for you two, @NBSquared2017 ...all the expectant mamas who should just be focusing on the baby, are now dealing with all this craziness :(
  • ei34 said:
    ei34 said:

I think you guys are right near each other (my sister is due 7/27)..I'm sorry for you two, @NBSquared2017 ...all the expectant mamas who should just be focusing on the baby, are now dealing with all this craziness :(
    Really close, I’m due 8/5. It’s all crazy I’m trying to only pay attention to the headlines and the local cases. It gets overwhelming thinking about the potential risks to me and the baby. 
  • ei34ei34 member
    ei34 said:
    ei34 said:

Really close, I’m due 8/5. It’s all crazy I’m trying to only pay attention to the headlines and the local cases. It gets overwhelming thinking about the potential risks to me and the baby. 

Gosh of course..stay well <3
  • @charlotte989875, from everything I've heard pregnant women and their babies aren't at a greater risk than the average woman. I know you are taking all precautions so hopefully you and the little one are all good!
  • @charlotte989875, from everything I've heard pregnant women and their babies aren't at a greater risk than the average woman. I know you are taking all precautions so hopefully you and the little one are all good!
    Thank you!! We’ve been inside pretty much the last two weeks besides going out for a run. It’s interesting though our county health department has determined pregnant women are considered a highly vulnerable population. So we’re just taking all the precautions and doing what we can. 
    Thank you!! We’ve been inside pretty much the last two weeks besides going out for a run. It’s interesting though our county health department has determined pregnant women are considered a highly vulnerable population. So we’re just taking all the precautions and doing what we can. 
    Hmmm. Interesting because all the news doctor "experts" have said the opposite. Always better to err on the side of caution though.