Wedding Woes

Bonus Prudie: WTF?

Q. Not a Mother of Twins: I gave birth to a beautiful baby who is now 7 months old. A bizarre rumor went around that I actually had twins, and I adopted out the disabled child and kept the healthy baby. This is not true, as I would have definitely noticed another baby coming out of me. At first I laughed it off but after months of evil glares, outright rudeness, and weird questions, it’s no longer funny. I don’t know how to prove the nonexistence of this “other baby” and some people seem intent to believe what they want to believe. My husband is outraged and has even considered legal recourse, although we can’t trace the rumor-starter. How can I clear my name, short of posting my entire medical file on social media?

Re: Bonus Prudie: WTF?

• wtf is right. 

• How the hell does a rumor like that even start?
  • Right?  How?  What?  Why?  Who?  

• Huh? This has got to be MUD.
  • I also have so many questions?  My only thought, if this isn't MUD, is if someone was making a joke (in poor taste) and the other person took it seriously?  But other than that ... people are bizarre. 

• I just, what did I just read? 

This can’t be real because who does this, but also maybe it is because who in their right mind would make this up. 
  • I think what is sounding so "off" about this letter is that they are describing what sounds like many people behaving in a way that doesn't fall under natural human behavior.

Is it possible that 1-2 people would blithely believe some 2nd or 3rd hand off-the-wall sounding rumor?  Sure.  But that doesn't seem like how most people would act.  Especially since it sounds like the LW and her H have corrected the story many times.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • This sounds like the sort of rumor that would have gone around my high school. And while very few would have believed it, a lot would have continued sharing it from an immature sense of humor. 

My guess is there's some other reason LW is getting dirty looks, but she doesn't want to share that part of the story.