Wedding Woes

Snowy Monday

Anyone else getting a dose of winter today?
Kicking off week two of homeschooling the kids / e-teaching my students.  Weekend was lowkey, and nice thanks to lots of facetime with my parents and siblings.  Spending lots of time in the yard and in parks (six feet away from other families) helped too. My sister facetimed into her good friend's wedding- they switched to the backyard with a judge and parents only in attendance.  I really do feel for all these brides coming here with their plans thrown off.
How's everyone else?

Re: Snowy Monday

• No snow here, but lots and lots of rain. The weekend was off and on rain, but it's starting today and not stopping until Weds. I love rain, but the dog is going to be a muddy mess. 

Pretty chill weekend. We did a virtual game night with some friends on Saturday; it was actually really fun. We saw my family yesterday. My sister has turned into a raging bitch in this whole thing. She had the audacity to say it's a blessing from god so that people can spend more time with their families. Her total lack of empathy for anyone that isn't her is astounding. I think that's going to be it for seeing my sister until this is over. 

I'm starting to get bored with the meal options in the house. Fresh Market is doing meal kits now. Is anyone else sick of spaghetti? 
  • We had snow Saturday but now it’s just dreary rain and gray. I’m taking today off so I’m snuggled up with the pets on the couch reading. H went to the grocery store and the hardware store. He’s been super great doing all the shopping and anything where we’ve needed something from stores. 

It’s a weird thought but it’s possible, depending on how long the lasts, that I might not be back in the office before before the baby. I’m hoping we’re not home that long but my company is pretty risk averse. 
  • that is scary @climbingwife I'm glad you are feeling better and it ended up being negative
  • Gray day here.   It isn't snowy but it's cold and kind of gross. 

DH is on work day 2 being home.  He's using some of this time to tidy the basement while other things appear to be slow.   Woo hoo!

Kids are underfoot and hopefully the rain holds off so they can have a "recess" this afternoon.  

DH did a run to a friend's brewery on Saturday where they had a drive through tiki bar pick up.   He picked up two cases and headed home.     We ran through the Costco grab and go food and now have the frozen and fresh stash.   I have a lot of chicken broth and canned chicken so tonight it's soup and we'll see if that lasts into tomorrow.   

I made homemade salt dough yesterday as a craft for the kids and then gave Chiquita the comment that "This is fun but I am not going to keep dipping into our food for crafts.  " It was an odd conversation to have and one I didn't envision a month ago.   DH and I are very fortunate and the comment wasn't intended to display financial concern - just to indicate that isolating also means not using up food for fun. 

Sunday DH took the training wheels off Chiquito's bike.   We have a bit of a hill in the backyard and he now balances!  Last night when he snuggled before bed he was really excited about his progress.   I'm counting blessings at how fortunate we are.   There's nothing quite like this situation to put that into perspective.   I made all of us go around the table to talk about what we're thankful for.   I hope this is something we can continue because this is the time that the latest toys matter way less than some of our basics. 
  • @climbingwife I'm so glad you're starting to feel better and everything was negative!! 

Baby has a mild cold.  I'm also dealing with the second round of mastitis, luckily this time it's mild, last time i had a 102 temp and all the flu symptoms, plus my boobs hurt so much I could hardly move.  If it doesn't calm down by tomorrow morning i'm going to call in for a prescription because I do not want to deal with that again.  

Weekend was good!  we were super productive around the house Saturday while the baby napped, then went for a really long walk and hung out in the evening.  Yesterday we facetimed with both sets of parents and one of H's sisters.  They're all missing seeing the babe in real life :)  
  • @climbingwife I’m sorry you were ill. Dumb that they didn’t have the rapid A AND B test combined. It might have saved you a lot of anxiety if the Influenza B came back positive. 

Continuing on 2020’s shitty streak, FI’s grandmother passed away. It actually happened on Wednesday but his parents didn’t tell anyone until Friday afternoon. I have my issues with that but I’m staying quiet. In some ways it was a relief. She was 97, miserable and alone. She kept saying she just wanted to die. At least she’s not suffering anymore. We’re supposed to have a small graveside service for her on Friday but we’ll see. Things change every day. And just the immediate family puts us at ten people, not counting FI’s uncle and his wife. I do want to go to the service, even if I have to wait in the car while just family physically goes to the grave site. I think FI will need it. 

My grandmother has surgery for her ankle today. I’m a little worried. She has a lot of comorbidities that place her at risk even if we weren’t dealing with the pandemic. 

Otherwise I’m back at work and trying to compartmentalize everything. It’s also FI’s and my anniversary. 

• @climbingwife Wonderful that it was negative, but sucks to be sick to begin with!  

Fair amount of snow here, but it is wet and fluffy, so I suspect it won't stick around.  My rabbits saw it, went nuts for about 15 minutes, then realized how wet it was making their feet so they went back inside.  

We did an online gaming event on Saturday, online church on Sunday, and then I dropped off a kettle on my parents' porch and went for a walk with the dog in their area.  Their kettle broke, and my mom called me saying that they were boiling water for tea on the stove.  I've had a random spare kettle in my house since I got married because my husband seemed to have two of everything - the thought was that the crappy old kettle from the 90's that he had would soon break, so he needed a back-up.  Well, it's still going strong, so now my parents have a "new" kettle.  They are going to trade us for an old sword that they found - seems like a good deal.

Hubby and I are working from home today - business as usual for me, bit of an adjustment for him.  He doesn't know what is happening with education, so he doesn't want to give his students assignments only for it just to be busy-work.  So he is tidying up the basement while checking emails to see if his students need anything in the meantime.

• So weekend
    Saturday - BabyKitten refused nap and promptly fell asleep at dinner.

Sunday - got a little cabin fever so when M had to pick up something, BabyKitten and I hopped in the car too. We just stayed in the car, but still. It wasn't the house lol

She didn't nap again, but she was ok to chill in her crib for the full 2hrs {unlike Saturday when she kept removing clothes and diaper so we had to go get her}
    While I was just lying on the couch for a bit, BabyKitten smashed a toy against my elbow. Same elbow I hurt not long ago. M got mad and raised his voice {not yelling, to be clear. More stern} and told her that was bad and we don't hit people.
    I'm in tears - because I was 1000% sure at that moment my elbow was shattered! - and BabyKitten started to sob. I told M to deal with her unless I passed out lol
    Which I didn't, but it's still sore a.f today :(

Weather hasn't complied with us to go for a walk, but hopefully next weekend. Maybe get BabyKitten out in a field.

Got news today we're slowly prepping to wfh - even me! I genuinely didn't think I would be, so that's a bonus that I'll be wfh since that means I get full pay vs 60% because employment insurance doesn't pay full.
  • @levioosa I'm sorry for your loss, and that his parents didn't notify you guys right away. 
  • We have gray and cold today. Yesterday was rain/sleet/snow but not much snow. It is suppose to rain most of the week but temps should increase. Blech! We got our new porch furniture delivered on Friday. Since our living room furniture is at a reupholstery shop we just put it in our living room. It actually doesn't look too bad and at least there is something to sit on in there. We have no idea when our furniture will return since everything is closed down.

Question for those of you in locked down states. How are people traveling through the state from out of state handled? DD is wanting me to come up next weekend. Illinois is on lock down but Indiana is not. I'm not sure I will go because I have never made it without a bathroom break. I don't really want to use a public bathroom even if I have my own lysol wipes to clean stuff. However, I really want to see the boys, and she might need me for childcare.

Plan on working on Italian and organizing more photos this afternoon. Already worked out but should start doing weight training.  
  • I'm so pissed at my employer.  Every damn excuse in the world for us not working from home when other offices are locking down.  The CEO of one of the major healthcare systems in this city is calling for the shelter in place order.  The City is pretending that we're "basically under a shelter in place order", which we're NOT.  Then I found out that my employer is still requiring our investigators to go into people's homes to sign them and is refusing to allow them to wear PPE b/c clients might feel uncomfortable.  The Trumpism and "Show-me" attitude is going to get a lot of people killed in this state.

You want to get a union, Karen?  B/c that's how you get unions.  We've already had one paralegal walk out this morning.  She's quit.  Another one is using her PTO to stay home b/c she's scared.

I just want to be at home.  I'm 1000% absolutely willing to work from home and even engage in a different shift so as to not strain the server.  But being in the office is hard to deal with right now.  And the one person in charge is not in the office 90% of the time and doesn't even work anymore, but seems to think we all should.  
  • @VarunaTT That's insane!  Especially not wearing PPE to go into people's homes.  Those clients might feel more comfortable with people wearing it than not!  And how can you put the safety of your staff above the comfort of your clients?  Wow.

• Weather-wise, one blessing in all this craziness is we are now in the season where the temps are perfect.  We don't have to run the heat.  Most days, we don't have to run the a/c either and, when we do, it's just briefly.  Especially considering that utilities go up when people stay at home, that will really help myself and the other people in my area to keep that bill from skyrocketing too much (hopefully).

@climbingwife, wow!  I'm so glad you are okay.  I'm sorry to hear they've already had to lay some people off at your office.

@levioosa, I'm sorry to hear about your FI's grandmother!  Good luck to your grandma and her surgery.

They've done a lockdown for my state (Louisiana) that goes into effect today at 5PM and goes until April 13th.  Just in time, my work (really, the client I work for) finally got WFH figured out and implemented yesterday.  It took me about an hour this morning to figure out...and that was with my IT husband's help, lol...but I'm in!  TBH, I thought I would run into more technical difficulties, so I'm a little shocked it is working as well as it is.  I've actually never had a job where I could WFH, so it's a little surreal.  Technically, I am using my home laptop to "drive" my work computer.  So it's sure bumpy and slow, lol.  But it works and that's the main thing.

However, here is the sucky part.  There is only so much work I can do from home.  Probably not 40 hours worth.  The office is in an industry that is on the "essential" list, ie engineering.  So their office is still open.  Therefore their policy of WFH or come into the office...or take vacation/AWOP, still applies as far as they are concerned.

At this point, I'm erring on the side of taking extra vacation time to "supplement" what I can't do at home.  Because there is nothing I do at the office that is "critical" for the projects (filing/copying).  I'm lucky to have a lot of vacation time.  And, I know, REALLY lucky to have a job.  But I'm also PISSED they won't let us also use our sick time, considering the circumstances.

I'm going to see how things play out.  But, if I start eating up my vacation time too fast, I might go to the office here and there.  And/or I might call my endocrinologist and see what he recommends.  Because if he says I can't go into the office, then I can use my sick time to supplement.

Technically, "diabetes" is one of the "at risk" groups.  Though, as usual, they just lump all us Type 1s and Type 2s together.  Even though they are different conditions.  Nothing I've read about makes it sound like I'm more at-risk, since I'm otherwise healthy and don't have any complications.  And, while Type 1 is an auto-immune disorder, my immune system isn't any weaker than anybody else's.  But, I'll let my doctor make that call, if it comes to that.  And I'd guess he'd say "yeah, don't go to work", just to be on the safe side.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • We just got our 'stay at home' order starting 03/25 for 14 days (which, really...why not tomorrow? End of day today?  We're all prepared for it...at least everyone I know has been braced to get one.) 

Almost everyone from my office is WAH now, with very few exceptions.  There's been a FB group started and everyone is acting like they're new.  I'm a little cynical, as I am among the first 5 people in my company to ever work from home full time.  I've been doing it almost 9 years.  

We finished getting all the food/stuff we needed to truly hunker down over the weekend.  If we don't have it, we don't need it.  We watched the Tiger King documentary.  It's truly...wild (pun intended).  I'd listened to the podcast about it, but seeing it is a whole new experience.  Heh. 

I did a ton of housework over the weekend.  I organized the shit out of our pantry stuff and freezers.  I also started re-watching Schitt's Creek.  And I did a lot of coloring in my swear word coloring books.  

I stopped by my parents twice to bring them stuff.  Mom is doing better, so that's good.  I just hate that we cannot be with her at all.  Video chatting is just OK.  The kids love it though.  They are hilarious and my parents just have the best time with all them talking to them at once. 

My sweet nephew who's almost two has now learned to say, "LOVE YOU! BYE! MWAH!" at the end of phone conversations.  
  • @VarunaTT I'm so sorry.   You're speaking the way I did about DH's employer last week and I'm just grateful that he said on Monday the 16th that he was submitting the request to WFH and if that didn't work he was going on PTO for at least two weeks.  He's one of the lucky ones who got a laptop to be home and those who didn't are on firm shifts with office guys now working staggered non-overlapping shifts because the state deems them essential.   It is unconscionable that there are employers out there not heeding warning and state governments with feckless leadership who have not done anything.   I'm looking at you, Florida and Mississippi to name a few.   Your lack of leadership will get more people killed and their blood is on your hands.   For people who think they can pray this away I wonder if that's a question they'll be asked when they meet their maker. 

• Damn @VarunaTT that’s insane, what kind of law is your firm? There’s no way I’d be letting someone into my house without PPE for something that isn’t absolutely essential. Granted we’re effectively shelter in place (Pause NY what we’re calling it), but even if we weren’t there’s no reason to put people at risk if you can avoid it. 

I’m really sorry for your loss @levioosa, how is your FI doing? Fingers crossed and all the good vibes for your grandmother. 

Glad you’re turning the corner @climbingwife That sounds terrifying. 
  • We have gray and cold today. Yesterday was rain/sleet/snow but not much snow. It is suppose to rain most of the week but temps should increase. Blech! We got our new porch furniture delivered on Friday. Since our living room furniture is at a reupholstery shop we just put it in our living room. It actually doesn't look too bad and at least there is something to sit on in there. We have no idea when our furniture will return since everything is closed down.

Question for those of you in locked down states. How are people traveling through the state from out of state handled? DD is wanting me to come up next weekend. Illinois is on lock down but Indiana is not. I'm not sure I will go because I have never made it without a bathroom break. I don't really want to use a public bathroom even if I have my own lysol wipes to clean stuff. However, I really want to see the boys, and she might need me for childcare.

Plan on working on Italian and organizing more photos this afternoon. Already worked out but should start doing weight training.  
    In NY thruway rest stops are still open for restrooms & restaurants but all seating areas and other business are closed. So you can go in to use the restroom and get food but you have to take it to go. 

The police aren’t stopping cars and enforcing it. That being said I find it super super disrespectful to still be getting out and about and traveling. Is someone dying? If not, stay home. What’s the point of all these sacrifices if people just continue moving around because they want to. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited March 2020
    I’m glad you’re getting better @climbingwife that sounds scary!
    @VarunaTT  this is just insane. Im mad FOR you!
    @mrsconn23, sorry you cant be with your mom but video conferences are all the rage.  I used zoom the first time Sat and liked it.  Speaking of.  How does this even happen?

https://big955chicago.iheart.com/content/2020-03-23-woman-forgets-shes-on-video-conference-uses-bathroom-as-co-workers-watch/?Pname=local_social&Keyid=socialflow&Sc=editorial

i just had a call with my doc vs. going in - sure she couldn’t take my vitals but I did labs last week for her and now have new meds to try to get my glucose levels down.  Here’s hoping. 

Edit to add: we got snow last night and I must say it was rather pretty this morning. 

• The orders that have come out do deem some law firms essential.  The ones that have to protect the constitutional rights in criminal law and emergency orders of protection and the like have not been canceled by the courts.  So basically, criminal and family law should be considered essential.  I'm sure there might be something else IDK; I think I'm generally correct.

I work in personal injury.  There's nothing, I mean nothing, emergency hearing that ever happens in these types of cases.  I could make up something that might be an emergency and could possibly happen, but in 15 years, I've never had one happen, so the probability is pretty low.

Also, we could do it all from home.  90% of my job is perfectly possible to do from home.  The other 10% could be managed with shifts for the office.  This is a terrible mix of paranoia (they won't work if we let them work from home or they'll steal information) and denial (only 2.4% mortality rate, only attacking the old) ((all things I've personally heard my employer or office manager say)) and it's going to get people hurt and killed.

The police aren’t stopping cars and enforcing it. That being said I find it super super disrespectful to still be getting out and about and traveling. Is someone dying? If not, stay home. What’s the point of all these sacrifices if people just continue moving around because they want to. 
    I have to agree with this.   Unless you're going because you are helping them in a dire situation due to the current pandemic I would not go.  My neighbors sent their kids to be with their grandparents because they are both working in public service and are potentially going to be exposed.   For something of that distance is it really worth it?    We're going to video chat with my parents and brother for the foreseeable future.   When we're out of our current forced isolation now that DH is home we may see his parents who live 2 miles away and that's only if they can promise that THEY didn't leave their house during the same time frame. 
  • Believe me I'm not considering this lightly. H and I have been at home for over a week now with the exception of picking up carry out/grocery store for me. DD is  a PA and has to go to work. Her H is working from home but it would be almost impossible for him to watch two 21 month olds while working. Yes, I am a pro at Facetime - we do it just about everyday and have zoomed a board meeting last week. 
  • Believe me I'm not considering this lightly. H and I have been at home for over a week now with the exception of picking up carry out/grocery store for me. DD is  a PA and has to go to work. Her H is working from home but it would be almost impossible for him to watch two 21 month olds while working. Yes, I am a pro at Facetime - we do it just about everyday and have zoomed a board meeting last week. 
    If you’re over 60 stay home. (Maybe you’re an extremely young grandma though!). Yes, it will be almost impossible for him. And her. And everyone. But you dying also would be really bad!!
    If you’re over 60 stay home. (Maybe you’re an extremely young grandma though!). Yes, it will be almost impossible for him. And her. And everyone. But you dying also would be really bad!!
    THIS!   If she's a PA then she's at a higher risk of exposure!  She could send her H and the kids to isolate for two weeks and then to your house if they show no symptoms but it's just not smart of her or you two increase your risk here.  

I had to say the same to my mom.   My brother hasn't gone to work but his BF is considered an essential employee and has to go.   My brother does my laundry at my parents' house.   I told her she really shouldn't let him in to do it and she hemmed and hawed about it saying "well, I'd put out a sandwich and would stay on the other side of the room".   I had to remind her that this is in the air for 3 hours.   If she's going to allow him over to do laundry he needs to let himself in and out through the basement, cannot go upstairs, she cannot go downstairs while he's there and she has to wait 3 hours after he leaves before she DOES go into the same area and when she does she has to wipe down every surface he touched with Clorox or Lysol.  He can wear dirty underwear.   
    Yup, it's almost impossible to work from home with small children.  Hundreds of thousands of people are doing it. 

It's not worth the risk. 
  • @charlotte989875 he’s taking it a little rough, although he is glad she’s not suffering any more. I’m hoping that after the grief “settles” a bit that it’s actually a relief for him. He was constantly worried about her and I feel like it really took a big toll on him to be that anxious about her all of the time. 

• levioosa said:
    @charlotte989875 he’s taking it a little rough, although he is glad she’s not suffering any more. I’m hoping that after the grief “settles” a bit that it’s actually a relief for him. He was constantly worried about her and I feel like it really took a big toll on him to be that anxious about her all of the time. 
    I'm so sorry for the loss.  ((hugs)) for both of you. 
  • that's a tough decision @ILoveBeachMusic I was mostly on team "go help" but I didn't think about what others said that since she is a PA she is more likely to come into contact with it which could then affect you.

Not the same but my parents are in FL for the winter and can't decide when to come back. Now that IN is stay at home order and presumably other states keep following suit they're not sure if they will come back or wait. I think mom wants to come back and dad wants to wait. Personally I'd rather they stay since my grandparents are there too and this way they can help them if needed.
  • Deal alert - Burger King has a deal in their app for 2 free kids meals with any purchase. Would be a cheap meal if you're getting take out and I'm sure would work for an adult too, it isn't like you have to have kids