Wedding Woes

Taco Tuesday

Back to work today and it’s been a pretty easy morning so far. 

I don’t know how folks with kids are doing it TBH. I have one guy, whose wife is a nurse and thankfully their daycare hasn’t closed. However his kids are sick so when she works (3 days a week) he’s the only one available. We’re making a work around schedule but damn it has to be hard. 

Re: Taco Tuesday

• Not much going on with me.  I'm trying to figure out what to do with my dog's vet appointments.  She needs to go in for a blood test next week to make sure that she isn't relapsing and that we can give her a smaller dose of drugs.  And seeing as I don't think I can afford a refill on these crazy expensive drugs, I really need to know if I can reduce the dose.  I've already been reducing the dose more than the vet recommended because of their cost, so I really need to get this blood test, but the vets are closed except for drivethru appointments and emergencies.  I emailed them to see what my options are.
    I mean, financially I'm okay, I just get freaked out at the fact that my emergency fund went to the vet bills, and is now at $0, and I do not like not having an emergency fund, especially with everything going on.

• Just another day of isolation and WFH here. Our governor held a press conference yesterday afternoon and before it basically implied to everyone that it was going to be a state wide shelter in place order. Everyone in disaster management was prepped for shelter in place, and the mayor was asked to hold off on issuing her own shelter order. And then he didn't do it. He talked for 45 minutes about nothing and just left. The city mayor issued her shelter in place this morning, but only about 500k of Atlanta's 5M people actually live within city limits. Most of metro is a fragmented patchwork of counties and municipalities, none of which are consistent in their response to this. Not to mention the people who live in the rest of the state, where there are patches of awful outbreaks and fewer hospitals and medical facilities. I'm really worried that we're not doing enough. People around me are still not taking this seriously. 

On the bright side, I'm so impressed with the resourcefulness of my social circle. We did a virtual game night over the weekend, but I've talked to several other friends in the last few days that want to put together virtual gatherings. I'm going to a hygge happy hour tomorrow, and hopefully a trivia night Friday. I'm probably being more social - at least with friends - than I am during normal times. 

• Another fun day for me. Poor FI is having a rough time. I wish I could stay home with him. Im wondering if they’ll let me use a bereavement day since technically we’re not married. Such a dumb rule. 

• @mrsconn23, we had a case of it reported in the building behind ours.  We connect to it via a parking garage.  Our building site is a cluster of three
    buildings, and so far none reported in ours or the other one.  Either way our boss said do NOT come in and of we have to, report it to him and bring throw away gloves.  

• I'm exhausted and resigned.  The city closest to us just passed their shelter in place order and they passed an amendment that declared law firms as essential businesses.  There are other law firms in this city that have closed.  The courts are closed to nearly all the work that would be considered essential.  And we could all be working from home.  It is so obvious that money is being placed over safety.  I have a decision to make and I'm really not sure what to do.  I don't have to work, i have a safety net I can draw on, but I also don't want to just walk out.  There are 23 people here and we're all on top of each other.  It's simply a matter of time at this point.

• Ugh @VarunaTT.  So frustrating.  
  • SO WELCOME TO THE SHIT SHOW!!

I'm considered essential services under 3 items on the list lol
    BUT I'm personally told to wfh for 2 weeks, and our office will have rotating of only 2 in the office at a time to reduce people.

Since I am, that means daycare can stay open SO I AM WORKING WITHOUT BABYKITTEN!!
    She can stay open since she only has 3 kids.

M is upstairs working, I'm in the living room. Both of us realized how much we want to move because of how our potential new house would have if M has to wfh ever - basement as family/play room with his computer nearby so he could watch BabyKitten in the future.

Market was looking to great, but now this is gonna kill it :(
  • @leVarunaTT said:
    I'm exhausted and resigned.  The city closest to us just passed their shelter in place order and they passed an amendment that declared law firms as essential businesses.  There are other law firms in this city that have closed.  The courts are closed to nearly all the work that would be considered essential.  And we could all be working from home.  It is so obvious that money is being placed over safety.  I have a decision to make and I'm really not sure what to do.  I don't have to work, i have a safety net I can draw on, but I also don't want to just walk out.  There are 23 people here and we're all on top of each other.  It's simply a matter of time at this point.

I think my old job would have been like that. Even though we had the capability to work from home they wouldn't let people, it was the dumbest thing ever. If it hadn't gone belly up I've wondered how it would have handled all of this stuff. 
  • I think I missed what happened @levioosa but I'm sorry FI is struggling
  • It's my first day of full-time WFH.  I'm going to need to be intentional about getting outside.  Maybe walking at lunch or after work.  

We ran a few errands over the weekend and bought a new gas grill.  It's being assembled and will be delivered on Saturday.  The guy at Lowes said they had been super busy as folks are home and doing all the projects.  

DH gets back injections every 3 months and his next one was cancelled as they aren't doing any "elective" procedures for the foreseeable future.  I totally understand the need for this but really hope his back pain doesn't become debilitating before he can get in again.   
  • @kvruns his grandmother passed away. And between that, his anxiety, and this shit show of a country and situation he’s really having a hard time. 

• And now the whole of India is going on total lockdown for 21 days. Like real lockdown, not shelter in place. Maybe I'm late to the party, but this has bumped up my anxiety about 3 notches. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/24/asia/india-lockdown-coronavirus-intl/index.html

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Sorry for you and FI's loss @levioosa
    @VarunaTT your post from yesterday and again today are horrifying.  Your employer is SO wrong.  Everyone by me who works at law firms is WFH.  It can be done.  Craziness.

I've been making the wfh while homeschooling the kids work but it's starting to feel draining.  One plus is that we've brought some Italian back into the mix.  We rotate English and Spanish (H's first language), the two languages the kids have to know, every other day.  I really hadn't spoken in Italian to the kids since they were toddlers and I was home most days.  But now we're all just here (except for H who as a firefighter is busier than ever at work) at home, it just seemed like a good time to re-introduce it.  The kids have really picked it back up which is nice.  Only positive I can think of as we're starting to go a bit stir-crazy.  Our playgrounds are closed but the parks/gardens/nature trails/beaches are still open...but I hesitate to go.  I think the backyard would be best.  I guess?  I have no idea anymore.
  • My boss is upset with me which, of course, I find upsetting.

In a nutshell, I guess I misunderstood the company's policy.  I thought that if we could work from home, we were supposed to be working from home.  Especially because Louisiana has a "Stay At Home" order and, if you can work from home, you're supposed to.

But they're an "essential" business (engineering).  So they're still open.

Apparently, if I wanted to work from home, I was supposed to have contacted him and HR and notified them of that and my reasoning.  Not just done it.  I (his words) "took a liberty I was not entitled to".

Anyway, I'm going into the office after lunch.  I have a bit of crucial work that can't be done from home.  And I knew there would be a bit of that and was fine with it.  But I'm hoping he will be in his office for some of the afternoon, so I can discuss this with him further.

My stress levels are already so sky-high.  I really, really just don't need him adding on to that over a legitimate misunderstanding.  Okay.  Whatever.  That was my screw-up.  But he's acting like it was an obvious one and that's the part I think is really unfair.  They have BOMBARDED us with information, last week and this week and a lot of it has been disjointed and also changed daily.

I'm usually such an easy-going, "it will all work out" kind of person.  But I am in such a bad place right now.  Over the last few days, I've largely lost my appetite.  Because it feels like my torso is filled with a "worry ball" sometimes.  I don't know how to explain it better than that.  And my chat conversation with the boss just brought the "worry ball" back again. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I’m super angry for both of you @VarunaTT and @short+sassy. My employer is an essential service, we could have all been told to keep coming in, but they were proactive and I’ve been home for 3 weeks. Our entire division including our traders and our admins. If we can do it so can other businesses. Deeming a business essential doesn’t mean you can’t have people work from home! It’s just crazy to me that businesses that can have people WFH won’t. 
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2020
    I'm usually such an easy-going, "it will all work out" kind of person.  But I am in such a bad place right now.  Over the last few days, I've largely lost my appetite.  Because it feels like my torso is filled with a "worry ball" sometimes.  I don't know how to explain it better than that.  And my chat conversation with the boss just brought the "worry ball" back again. 
    I called the old divorce diet, the new pandemic diet: smoking, drinking, and Tums and that's it b/c your stomach is too upset from everything.  I had done so well at switching to a low nicotine vape, and had nearly cut that out and this hit and I'm being terrible at using this crutch.  All to say, i get it.  Hopefully, your boss is just frustrated and let that slip out, instead of anything serious.  Everyone is just on edge.

I've finally made a decision as much as I can.  I'll work in the office until a shelter at home order comes down.  Basically, every metropolitan area in MO has done one except my city.  Most have been quite clear that law firms are not essential unless related to what the MO Court system has identified as essential.  When the order comes down (rumor mill is saying this week, both from county and city), I'm not coming back into the office.  I am absolutely willing to WFH, however that needs to look or what help they need to set it up.  They can use up the little bit of vacay I have.  Or they can choose whatever option they think they need exercise.

I'm not risking this for an employer who has made it incredibly clear that he doesn't care about anything but himself, while he stays at home 90% of the time, or when he does come in, comes in through a private staircase, into his private office with a private bathroom that is kept behind a passcard, locked, whether he's here or not.

Also, his direct competitor has closed his office to WFH.  And competitor LOVES hiring employees out of here.  I'm highly tempted to send in a resume.
  • Having high hopes for you @VarunaTT!

• @VarunaTT Good luck!  I hope it all goes well!

• @short+sassy Hopefully your boss understands that it was a misunderstanding.  It seems no one really knows what is going on anywhere, so of course people aren't going to be 100% clear on everything.  My work had to call me last night to make sure I was planning to work today.  Our province announced that non-essential services were closed, but a) they were giving the list today, so I knew we would still be open b) I was pretty sure we were an essential service and c) I already work from home, so why wouldn't I "come in" if I hadn't been told otherwise.  But so many people are confused as to what is happening, and it changes by the hour!  I think we should all be a little more understanding and forgiving with people.