Wedding Woes

So, WW, what would you do?

VarunaTTVarunaTT member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited March 2020 in Wedding Woes
We've received my employer's "plan".  Which should've been last week's plan, but I digress:
  • Our reception area will be closed to the public starting at noon on Wednesday, March 25, 2020.  Please make phone conference appointments.
  •  All intake appointments will be phone conferences using Name.
  •  Please limit any  gatherings in the hall or in the office to less than 2 or 3 people. 
  • All employees who have individual offices or are at least 6 feet from the next employee may continue to come into work. (ETA: This is me, I'm 6 feet from the next employee)
  • Employees who  have a work space closer than 6 feet or that are not in contained spaces, we are setting up a shift rotation.  This will be published Wednesday afternoon to start on Thursday, March 26, 2020. 
  • If you are uncomfortable with any of these arrangements, please talk to Name.  We will do our best to make appropriate accommodations for you. 
  • Finally, use common sense. If you have a fever or sick, let us know and do NOT come into work. 
  • This is a measured approach, but we will continue to change and modify it as the situation evolves.  

We've already found out one of our new cases was all.over.the.damn.city at multiple restaurants and stores.  IDK.

Re: So, WW, what would you do?

• I would still talk to who you have to talk to and see if you can wfh still.

for me - 6’ is great and all but it’s the same surfaces that people touch that freak me out! If you have a common area (kitchen) anything can happen still. 

• I would see if you can work out WFH, since you don’t do a lot of client-facing work, right? I might frame it as protecting you, but also anyone else who is still coming in to the office. It’s in their best interest to have as few people there as possible. 

Even if you’re 6ft at your desk from other folks you still have to share common bathrooms/elevators/space so I don’t know how much that distance truly matters. 
  • So, I'm going to take tomorrow to try and think about it and go ahead and talk to Name, who frankly, I don't expect to do a damn thing but I'll try.  At least if I get fired, I can write up that I tried to work it out.  In looking at this list, the only thing that changes anything about my situation right now, is the very first one.  And...that's not enough.  It doesn't change the fact that K works with a special needs respiratory child with a trach.  It doesn't change my personal danger from anyone here.  

I'm really not interesting in losing my job, but I'm pretty invested in not getting this virus.  I'm actually in one of the higher risk groups at my age and with asthma (usually allergy induced, but hey guess what time of the year it is).
  • So to a degree this is good. Before shit got bad obv.
    Definitely go see about wfh
  • Can you work remotely? I would tell your manager that you’re working from home tomorrow to try it out, because you are high risk. And then when it obviously works fine, keep doing it. 
  • I'd definitely speak with Name, and say that you're just not comfortable coming into the office, and need to WFH. 
  • Like you mentioned, that "plan" does not sound different at all!  Other than the office will no longer be open to the public.

But like other PPs have mentioned, even staying 6 ft. away from coworkers still isn't ideal.  From what I understand, the virus can stay in the air for up to 3 hours.  And it can stay on surfaces for 24+ hours.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Have they mentioned any practice for intense cleaning and disinfecting procedures? 

I would be emphatic that you will begin today /tomorrow to work from home and (Name) is welcome to reach out to you with questions and you implement this.

FFS, if defense contractors can do it you can too.   
  • banana468 said:
    Have they mentioned any practice for intense cleaning and disinfecting procedures? 

I would be emphatic that you will begin today /tomorrow to work from home and (Name) is welcome to reach out to you with questions and you implement this.

FFS, if defense contractors can do it you can too.   
    Yes! Also if large banks can do it, and execute trades, so can you!
  • Do they mention anything about what they are doing to common areas?  As in not just limited how many people are there at a time but also ramping up cleaning?  Elevators, hallways, kitchens ... 

• VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited March 2020
    Re: cleaning:

Our nightly cleaning service, Name is using an EPA approved disinfectant to clean offices, common areas, and restrooms. They will be adding to their usual scope of duties, cleaning light switches, door knobs, restroom doors and more.  This EPA approved product kills a long list of viruses in as little as 15 seconds.

Of course, during the work day, we recommend that you be mindful and clean your phones and keyboards, remote controls, countertops or any frequently touched area’s with a Lysol, Clorox or Purell product.  These products made the EPA’s disinfectant list to kill the coronavirus.  We will make these cleaning items available to you in common areas.

I'm having to take a bit of a mental break.  IDK what to do, I'm angry for being put into this position when we are absolutely able to work from home, he's just refusing to do it.  We could all just walk with our desktops, plug in, and work from home.  It's maddening.  And to pretend it's about "our clients"...it's not.  It's about his money.

• This would have been a good plan weeks ago. Not now.