Wedding Woes

4 women in the world

Dear Prudence,

I’m a biracial (mom is black, dad is white) man, and my girlfriend is white. We’re both vegan, but my girlfriend is much more vocal about it. We recently went to my home for dinner. My parents aren’t vegan but prepare vegan food when I’m home. Over dinner, my girlfriend began comparing eating vegan to the civil rights movement, which my mom found offensive. I tried explaining to my girlfriend why these comments may have crossed the line, but she gets really upset. I don’t know how (or if?) I should try to talk to her about it again, and Mom refuses to talk to my girlfriend until she apologizes, and my dad sides with my mom.

—Racist Vegan

Re: 4 women in the world

• Not only is she racist but she won’t hear LW out to explain why what she said was offensive. Pretty sure there’s not much here to save if she can’t even hear the LW out. 
    Right.   She's not interested in any opinion other than her own.   Later! 
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    This is where I'd break up with the girlfriend.  Yikes.
  • banana468 said:
    Oh FFS.   

Would you rather date someone who is a complete racist with no concept of reality or someone who has the same diet and values about animals? 

If she's refusing to understand that there is a serious difference between the way that human beings and animals were treated and such a statement is directly against both her BF and his family then it's time to dump her. 
    This is spot on.  Break up with her now.
  • Omg run away. There is not enough time in life for that bullshit. 

• This is so gross. I say break up with her now. Anyone who doesn't see why comparing people of color to animals is not going to change easily, or ever. 

If it's important to LW to date people who practice a vegan lifestyle, I'm sure there are plenty of vegans out there who wouldn't be this insensitive.