Wedding Woes

When to make the decision to postpone.

My fiancé and I are planning to get married on June 6th of this year, we have sent out save the dates but not invitations yet due to the current state of the country. Currently, Maryland is under a stay at home order for an undetermined amount of time. We are doing a backyard wedding at my parents house with about 80 people attending. When should I officially make the decision about postponing the wedding and sending out communication to my guests? Do you think we should contact our courthouse and still get married on the date we had planned and then just do a vow renewal on the new date that we pick? 

This is really starting to concern me as the company that we are renting our tent from is being annoying about allowing us to push our. Date back without having to shell out more money. Everything else has gone smoothly other than that.

This has sort of been a blessing in disguise though, while we’ve been off we’ve gotten a lot of work done on the yard to get prepared!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: When to make the decision to postpone.

• I think you should find out if your courthouse is issuing marriage licenses.   Some aren't even doing that.

My guess is that June is risky.   Maybe give it two more weeks?   
  • Hello and I'm in the same boat.  I'm unable to obtain a marriage license due to the courthouses being closed.  I would check with your county to see what their process is going to be going forward.  I know that PG is closed until May 1st.
  • Yeah, our courthouse is closed until May 1st as well. I'm hoping that we'll be able to get in and get our license and at least have out officiant come to the house to finish off the wedding process and then we'll just do a vowel renewal when we can get everyone together. I actually just printed off a letter that we wrote to all of our guests letting them know about the possible postponement.
  • @pskirby95 our date is June 19 and are now considering doing the same thing. Our venue called today not confident we will be able to run, but our clerk is working with us to obtain a license. All the best things workout!
  • I am seeing several online companies offering either free (if you are already working with them) or reasonably priced ways to notify guests of a date change.....
    https://www.zazzle.com/change+the+date+invitations

Perhaps you can still keep your date to marry legally, and have an awesome late summer celebration.  With plans for an outdoor reception, you will have to plan that date wisely.