Wedding Woes

Prudie-esque dilemma

Thankfully, this is not my dilemma!  But it's something I've wondered about because I'm sure there are a lot of people in this situation.  I read a post on a real estate investing forum I frequent, where the poster is renting out a room out of their personal home.  Their area is under a Stay At Home order, but their roommate is constantly having a variety of friends over.

They have repeatedly asked their roommate to stop having people over so much because it is putting both of their health at risk.  But the roommate is refusing to comply and says they can't tell them they can't have company.  WWYD?  (I have no intention of posting anyone's reply, I just thought this would be an interesting discussion).

It's such a tricky situation because how do you control an irresponsible roommate's dangerous behavior.  Possibly moving out themselves but, in this situation, it's the poster's own house!  They can post a "Cease and Desist" notice.  But it's not going to have any teeth until evictions are allowed again.

I think what I would do is sequester myself in my room as much as possible.  Wear a mask and gloves when I am in common areas.  Wipe down kitchen counters, appliances, door knobs, etc. with disinfectant between "guests".  I mean, yeeesh, what a PITA!!!  Once the crisis is over, I would also give the roommate a 30-Day Notice to Vacate.  Because someone who doesn't respect my reasonable house rules is not a roommmate I want.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Prudie-esque dilemma

• I think I'd also give the roommate a 30-Day to vacate when all is said and done.   

The roommate is exercising piss poor judgement but unless there is some kind of legal recourse I think the owner is going to have to deal with it unfortunately.   It would make me want to have the locks changed immediately but I think the roommate is being a dick about it and realizes that their  landlord can't do anything.
  • I think I'd do the same as you've said.   But seriously, this is why it's so tricky to live in a situation like this.  I have no desire to live with another adult that is not on my mortgage (or if I were renting, my lease).  That roommate is terrible and unfortunately if some shit really goes down, the homeowner could be on the hook.  If they have a lease with this person, I'd be poring over it to find ANY loophole to tell them to GTFO or that I have the authority to tell them they cannot have people in the house that aren't on the lease.  
  • I'm also on Team Stay in Room, Wipe Things Down and 30-Day Vacate.

Nobody should be putting their roommates in situations that could lead to them getting seriously sick. This [expletive] is someone you just can't risk having as a person who shares your home.
  • I would read over the lease very carefully.  And even though evictions have been put on hold, does that also count for health violations?  I think I recall a similar question from MarketWatch's advice column and there was actually a way to evict the person due to health and safety issues.  

I thought that evictions were on hold for lack of payment.
  • Yeah I honestly don’t know what I could or would do!  Why must you ask such hard dilemma questions, @short+sassy?

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited April 2020
    I would read over the lease very carefully.  And even though evictions have been put on hold, does that also count for health violations?  I think I recall a similar question from MarketWatch's advice column and there was actually a way to evict the person due to health and safety issues.  

It depends on the area.  But, where I live, it's impossible to do any kind of eviction at the moment because the civil courts* are shut down anyway.  I assume that's true for a lot of places.

Edited to add:  *Except for family court.  I think that's still open on a limited basis.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I would read over the lease very carefully.  And even though evictions have been put on hold, does that also count for health violations?  I think I recall a similar question from MarketWatch's advice column and there was actually a way to evict the person due to health and safety issues.  

It depends on the area.  But, where I live, it's impossible to do any kind of eviction at the moment because the civil courts* are shut down anyway.  I assume that's true for a lot of places.

Edited to add:  *Except for family court.  I think that's still open on a limited basis.
    That's how it is here. The federal package prevents evictions for lack of payment. It says nothing about evictions for other reasons. But practically, even though you can e-file an eviction, the court isn't setting any hearings any time soon. Ours are doing only the minimum requirement for constitutional rights, which is primarily criminal cases involving people in custody. Even family court is on hold except for emergencies. They're saying now that the backlog from closures means our courts are going to be playing catch up for 6-12 months.

To answer the question, I'd be pissed about it, but I'd go stay with my parents or a friend who is being more responsible, and then take steps to evict this roommate once I could. 
  • levioosa said:
    Agreed with PPs. I also think I would find some way to document (email, certified letter, even though it’s the same house, just something traceable) that company is not allowed due to the current orders of the county or state. God forbid someone come over, get sick and end up in the hospital or even passing away from COVID. I promise you there will be lawsuits because of gatherings, even if it was that person’s choice to hang out in a group situation. 
    The attorneys here are already having CLEs on workers compensation and liability issues related to covid 19.  It's going to be real damn interesting when these things get started.
  • So fun fact, here they can actually enforce it to a degree.

Since there is proof, the owner could call bylaw and explain the situation. Bylaw has come to break up people hanging out before and they've said in my city they want phone calls.

I know you don't plan on posting our replies, but if no one has suggested it - maybe the poster could be looking into laws about enforcing stay at home orders.
  • So fun fact, here they can actually enforce it to a degree.

Since there is proof, the owner could call bylaw and explain the situation. Bylaw has come to break up people hanging out before and they've said in my city they want phone calls.

I know you don't plan on posting our replies, but if no one has suggested it - maybe the poster could be looking into laws about enforcing stay at home orders.
    I thought of that also, but I suspect the police getting involved in something like this wouldn't be very common in most of the US.  I know where I live, it has to be a decent sized (10+) and obvious party for the police to show up and enforce the Stay At Home order.  Though they have done that.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker