Interfaith Weddings

Christian/Hindu Fusion

We are planning a full Hindu ceremony with immediate family, then the next day a larger American wedding.  We want to incorporate some Hindu stuff into the larger wedding (tying the mangalsutra, 7 steps etc).  I am really excited about that.  We are even having our 4 flower girls and ringbearer dress in traditional Indian clothing, and our ushers as well.

However, I am wearing a white american wedding dress, very sleek and contemporary.  I wanted to balance that with Bridesmaid dresses in similar style and rust orange color (fall outdoor wedding), and the guys in chocolate/tan suits with rust orange ties etc.  Now my FI says he wants to wear a white Indowestern suit.  Will that look weird in the pictures?  White on white looks like a huge blob to me... and these suits he's been showing me are extremely ornate, beaded and with heavy embroidery which is not the same style as my plain simple dress.  I tried to talk to him, but he got really upset and thinks I am trying to be sure that I "outshine him."  Please help!!! Any ideas??

-CJ

Re: Christian/Hindu Fusion

• If you really want him to wear a black tux just tell him that its traditional, and its important to you.  This will go a long way especially if you haven't used this for anything else already.  You are already having a seperate cermony because his tradition is important to his family, so bringing up tradition as important to you should be understood.  (even if the reason is you think it will look funny in pictures, it is still because of your underlying cultural beliefs of what a wedding should look like.)

Is the Indowestern suit for both parts or just the western ceremony.  Its ok to have 2 different outfits.  Its possible that he might think its wasteful to have to get two outfits.

I am also white planning to marry an indian.  I am actually getting frustrated that he doesn't want to include any indian effects in our wedding (including inviting immediate family from India!) 

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_interfaith-weddings_christianhindu-fusion?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:396Discussion:4f444367-3bdf-47ed-9899-30b358c7116bPost:42015822-6dcc-4539-aca1-3e5539ca77b0">Re: Christian/Hindu Fusion</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hey there- I'm a white woman marrying an Indian guy, and we just finalized our wedding attire.   His suit is gold and incredibly shiny - and he loves it.<strong> From my experience w MIL we have different standards of beauty and concepts of fashion, so to her, I'm too plain. </strong> Likewise, his suits look flashy.  Wonder if this is where your fiance is coming from?  My guy loves his gold jewelry and was in heaven when Christian Audiger shirts were in style....I just stopped him from buying blue jeweled cufflinks for fear that he'd look like a rapper at his conservative job.  lol!
    Posted by halfbrit[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>This all the way!  Here's what I think... it sounds like you have already come to decisions and compromises concerning the actual ceremony, which is the hardest and most important part.  You are wearing what you want to wear, so he should wear what he wants to wear.  I'm Jewish and my FI is Indian... my future in laws assumed I would wear Indian bridal wear, but I wanted a white dress.  It's my opinion that I should be able to wear what I want to wear.  I would have had no problem with my FI wearing some type of Indian outfit, but he wanted to wear a tux.  Maybe you could suggest that he change to a tux for the reception?  I've seen this done a lot.

</div>

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• Im so glad im reading this! Neither I or my husband are Hindu but we want to have a fusion wedding with some indian traditions because we love their weddings and culture so much! do any of you have an Idea where i can find Menhndi Artist to do the henna work on me and my bridesmaids before the wedding?
  • Im so glad im reading this! Neither I or my husband are Hindu but we want to have a fusion wedding with some indian traditions because we love their weddings and culture so much! do any of you have an Idea where i can find Menhndi Artist to do the henna work on me and my bridesmaids before the wedding?
  • J06J06 member
    First Comment
    Hey ,
     I am Henna Artist having experience of more than 5 years.Contact me at hennaartist6@gmail.com for more details.
  • Wow, using manipulation and lying to get what you want even before your marriage begins?  This is his wedding, too.  You could try telling him that you'd like to see him in a tux or suit for your American ceremony, and that he can wear his sherwani for the Hindu ceremony, but when it's all said and done, he didn't dictate what you're wearing, so why should you get to tell him what to wear?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards