Wedding Woes
Options

3 women in the world?

Dear Prudence,

My partner and I (we’re both women) just moved in together after dating long-distance. We’re usually really good about discussing and resolving our problems. She’s not out to most of her conservative family because she’s worried about rejection. My parents aren’t in the picture, but my sisters are wonderful, and I came out at 16. I don’t mind being unknown to my partner’s family, but now that we live together, she wants to FaceTime her mom regularly and pretend I’m her roommate. I can’t do it. The thought makes me sick to my stomach. Usually I go to our spare bedroom, which we use as an office, when she calls her mom.

Today, I was planning on working in the living room, and she said, “I’ll FaceTime my mom when you go to the office.” It made me feel awful. I asked if she was going to call her mom every day. She said it was OK, that she was disappointed but could handle it—but then she started crying and went into our bedroom. I realized that my request might have reminded her of her last, very abusive relationship, where she was forced to cut off her family and friends. I wish I had thought about this when we started talking. I don’t want her to stop talking to her mom, but it just makes me feel awful. How can we handle this so I’m not being controlling, and also don’t fall apart every day? We’re both working from home right now, most businesses are all still closed, and it’s super hot in our city.

—Sad About FaceTime

Re: 3 women in the world?

• Options
    I’d need to know how long LW’s partner is willing to drag this out?  Forever?  Then that wont work for LW.  Bye.

• Options
    I’d need to know how long LW’s partner is willing to drag this out?  Forever?  Then that wont work for LW.  Bye.
    Yup.   There comes a time that you need to stop being the roommate.   If the partner can't talk about how to go about making that change with the LW's support then it's time to go. 
  • Options
    Having a 'conservative' family is such a bullshit cop out.  Especially when you're a full grown adult, not relying on their financial support (I assume), and you've moved to be with your partner.  

LW's GF sounds like she's pretty much gaslighting LW since she can't deal with any pushback from LW when LW asks to be validated as her partner.  It doesn't sound like the GF actually wants to work on that either.  

Also, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that GF's mom knows. 
  • Options
    How did they not talk about this before they moved in together? This seems like a pretty big issue to just leave up “we’ll figure it out”. GF needs to work with LW to find a solution where she isn’t forced to reveal information to her family before she’s prepared, but also where LW doesn’t have to hide, lie, or significantly change her routing on a daily basis. I don’t know what that looks like but the current plan clearly isn’t working. 
  • Options
    ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    Playing along with this charade would be hurtful for me, and the fact that LW ends up feeling controlling-borderline-abusive is really sad.