Short Week Monday

2»

Re: Short Week Monday

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    We are still doing OK here in CT and I have to remind myself that we are now in a vacation town and that means we cannot be overconfident in our local travels.   Mask are a must if we're not on the boat or in the pool.

It is POURING right now.   The storms are CRAZY!

I have made it no secret that I'm pro-life and feel that many current pro-live measures are simply pro-birth.  I am not looking for a debate on abortion and do understand some of the major concerns that are posed with legislation that also does not even consult with a doctor (like the idea of trying to get a woman to keep an ectopic pregnancy or not allowing a D&C when the baby in the mother is not alive).   And now, I'm really hoping that there's a greater movement to discredit Abby Johnson who is a huge voice in the pro-life movement.   Because you cannot be a Christian and pro life and be racist.   And somehow Abby Johnson is vocally thinking she can be all 3.
    Catholic Twitter has been super interesting here, and it sounds like most people with a platform who are actually Catholic (i.e. consistent pro-life ethic, you have to take care of babies, and mothers, and immigrants, and refugees, and the homeless, and the incarcerated, and not have the state kill people, etc.) are actively working to petition the bishops to stop promoting her work, and I've been supporting those efforts. Of course, she's been racist for a while, and called out on it before - it's just been made especially clear this week that she has no interest in listening and instead in doubling down.
    Yes, she did this months before and it's coming up AGAIN.

And while she may have done SOME good things for the movement she cannot and should not be viewed as someone to respect when her racist statements continue to come out.

I'm not sure if you follow Catholic writer Simcha Fisher but she also detailed some of Abby's racism recently and also wrote about Abby's comments last week.  Until other organizations speak out against Abby, she's going to continue to be viewed as a good voice and it's sickening. 
    Yes, I really appreciate Simcha. Especially that she was clearly against the original video, but fully gave Abby a chance to defend herself, and Abby just doubled down again in the interview.

I'm not remotely into canceling people. But you HAVE to be willing to genuinely apologize and change when you do something that is publicly against Church teaching, which racism absolutely is. And until you do repent and you make it clear your views have changed (which you've been given several chances to do), you show you have a consistent ethic, and that your voice can be trusted - no matter how much good work you do, we can't give you a platform from which to shout your racism. Nope. (In short, I guess, we're out here saying the same thing.)

I hate that it's apparently not enough for other Catholic speakers, podcasters, and authors to call her out. I've seen plenty of that. The bishops have to be the ones to do it, or EWTN, or the K of C, etc. in order for it to be taken seriously. So that's why I've been putting pressure on those groups. And I'm not terribly optimistic (at least on the latter two) and it makes me angry.
    Agreed.   

I remember years ago when our pastor said, "You cannot be a Christian and be a racist."  And I hope that the comments did not fall on deaf ears.  That said, I think there are too many people who bristle and fail to understand that they may actually be racist and do not want to consider it.   
    Yeah, so this just broke is all over my newsfeed.   

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/carmel/2020/06/30/carmel-church-pastor-message-against-black-lives-matter-demonstrators/3284148001/?fbclid=IwAR0oZsYAVQCOLOje22db9HfWe15bwwLSMkQm1u8UKrVkttcQ29cDlCk6JQ0
    This needs to be addressed by the Bishop and within the parish.   

Clearly if it's taken off the website there's already enough backlash that it's going to be cause for criticism and ideally discipline. 
  • Options
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    We are still doing OK here in CT and I have to remind myself that we are now in a vacation town and that means we cannot be overconfident in our local travels.   Mask are a must if we're not on the boat or in the pool.

I have made it no secret that I'm pro-life and feel that many current pro-live measures are simply pro-birth.  I am not looking for a debate on abortion and do understand some of the major concerns that are posed with legislation that also does not even consult with a doctor (like the idea of trying to get a woman to keep an ectopic pregnancy or not allowing a D&C when the baby in the mother is not alive).   And now, I'm really hoping that there's a greater movement to discredit Abby Johnson who is a huge voice in the pro-life movement.   Because you cannot be a Christian and pro life and be racist.   And somehow Abby Johnson is vocally thinking she can be all 3.
    Catholic Twitter has been super interesting here, and it sounds like most people with a platform who are actually Catholic (i.e. consistent pro-life ethic, you have to take care of babies, and mothers, and immigrants, and refugees, and the homeless, and the incarcerated, and not have the state kill people, etc.) are actively working to petition the bishops to stop promoting her work, and I've been supporting those efforts. Of course, she's been racist for a while, and called out on it before - it's just been made especially clear this week that she has no interest in listening and instead in doubling down.

And while she may have done SOME good things for the movement she cannot and should not be viewed as someone to respect when her racist statements continue to come out.

I'm not sure if you follow Catholic writer Simcha Fisher but she also detailed some of Abby's racism recently and also wrote about Abby's comments last week.  Until other organizations speak out against Abby, she's going to continue to be viewed as a good voice and it's sickening. 
    Yes, I really appreciate Simcha. Especially that she was clearly against the original video, but fully gave Abby a chance to defend herself, and Abby just doubled down again in the interview.

I'm not remotely into canceling people. But you HAVE to be willing to genuinely apologize and change when you do something that is publicly against Church teaching, which racism absolutely is. And until you do repent and you make it clear your views have changed (which you've been given several chances to do), you show you have a consistent ethic, and that your voice can be trusted - no matter how much good work you do, we can't give you a platform from which to shout your racism. Nope. (In short, I guess, we're out here saying the same thing.)

I hate that it's apparently not enough for other Catholic speakers, podcasters, and authors to call her out. I've seen plenty of that. The bishops have to be the ones to do it, or EWTN, or the K of C, etc. in order for it to be taken seriously. So that's why I've been putting pressure on those groups. And I'm not terribly optimistic (at least on the latter two) and it makes me angry.
    Agreed.   

I remember years ago when our pastor said, "You cannot be a Christian and be a racist."  And I hope that the comments did not fall on deaf ears.  That said, I think there are too many people who bristle and fail to understand that they may actually be racist and do not want to consider it.   

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/local/hamilton-county/carmel/2020/06/30/carmel-church-pastor-message-against-black-lives-matter-demonstrators/3284148001/?fbclid=IwAR0oZsYAVQCOLOje22db9HfWe15bwwLSMkQm1u8UKrVkttcQ29cDlCk6JQ0

Clearly if it's taken off the website there's already enough backlash that it's going to be cause for criticism and ideally discipline. 
    Oh there's already calls for the diocese to fire/suspend him.  
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Agreed.   

Even if they do, is that enough?  

I think the church needs to ask itself how someone with such obvious racist beliefs got this far within the ranks, and how much damage has he done along the way. Also, how many other leaders are there that share these views, and how do you you change the "church culture" to exclude this cancer? 

For every person who is willing to say these things in public, there are 10 more that think them or only say them in private. 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Agreed.   

I think the church needs to ask itself how someone with such obvious racist beliefs got this far within the ranks, and how much damage has he done along the way. Also, how many other leaders are there that share these views, and how do you you change the "church culture" to exclude this cancer? 

For every person who is willing to say these things in public, there are 10 more that think them or only say them in private. 
    Oh I completely agree.  Of course there's people who are all, 'it was taken out of context'.  What part, pray tell?  (one of those people is the mom of a chick in my mom group and she posted the text thread of her telling her mom how wrong she is and why). Also, why should 'context' be afforded to him when he didn't afford it to the people he decided to shit on?  

The mayor of the town where this happened goes to the damn church. He's been silent.  But that mayor caused a kerfluffle last month by saying he was going to sue Minneapolis for rioting over George Floyd that didn't happen there.  

While the town this happened in is mostly white, a lot of areas of Indy are becoming more and more diverse.  This is also a HUGE church (one of the bigger ones in the Indy area), so I would bet there are POC among the parish.  One would think, especially since churches have been shuttered and therefore taking in fewer collections, that you wouldn't want to piss off even a portion of your parishioners. 

The archdiocese here has been a mess for awhile.  They kicked one of the biggest high schools in the area out and defunded them because they refused to fire openly LGBTQ staff.  This came after the very public firing of a beloved counselor at another HS in the area because they found out she is a lesbian and married.  It was a national news story and she ended up on Ellen.  I know racism is a different thing than the above, but they have a track record of being awful in general and ending up in the news for sucking.

• Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Agreed.   

Oh I completely agree.  Of course there's people who are all, 'it was taken out of context'.  What part, pray tell?  (one of those people is the mom of a chick in my mom group and she posted the text thread of her telling her mom how wrong she is and why). Also, why should 'context' be afforded to him when he didn't afford it to the people he decided to shit on?  

The mayor of the town where this happened goes to the damn church. He's been silent.  But that mayor caused a kerfluffle last month by saying he was going to sue Minneapolis for rioting over George Floyd that didn't happen there.  

While the town this happened in is mostly white, a lot of areas of Indy are becoming more and more diverse.  This is also a HUGE church (one of the bigger ones in the Indy area), so I would bet there are POC among the parish.  One would think, especially since churches have been shuttered and therefore taking in fewer collections, that you wouldn't want to piss off even a portion of your parishioners. 

The archdiocese here has been a mess for awhile.  They kicked one of the biggest high schools in the area out and defunded them because they refused to fire openly LGBTQ staff.  This came after the very public firing of a beloved counselor at another HS in the area because they found out she is a lesbian and married.  It was a national news story and she ended up on Ellen.  I know racism is a different thing than the above, but they have a track record of being awful in general and ending up in the news for sucking.

Unfortunately this is a different archdiocese than the high school issue. So, there are two archdiocese with major issues going on right now. Also the priest was suppose to go to another parish in the city - probably a bigger one based on my knowledge of the community (but I don't live there). I'm hoping he won't be able to go there and will be kicked out.
  • Options

Unfortunately this is a different archdiocese than the high school issue. So, there are two archdiocese with major issues going on right now. Also the priest was suppose to go to another parish in the city - probably a bigger one based on my knowledge of the community (but I don't live there). I'm hoping he won't be able to go there and will be kicked out.
    I can't keep up with the archdiocese.  So anything Hamilton County is Lafayette archdiocese? Marion is Indianapolis? 
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:

I can't keep up with the archdiocese.  So anything Hamilton County is Lafayette archdiocese? Marion is Indianapolis? 
    Yes that is how it works. From what I understand the part of the state north of Indy is Lafayette and parts south are Indianapolis archdiocese.
  • Options
    mrsconn23 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:
    banana468 said:

Agreed.   

There is just a very "us vs. them" mentality among those who have bought into the idea that their values are under attack, and that's as prevalent in the Church as anywhere. The beliefs of the Catholic Church do not and cannot align with either political party, and yet there are plenty of people who try to rationalize doing so anyway.

This priest at Seton and other Catholics who think like him are conflating the idea of having to do battle with sin internally and having to do battle with people who don't espouse your beliefs. You do battle with the former; you invite the latter. That's why I'm involved in formation within the Church. I want to keep people from throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and there is a lot of that going on. Even among people who have training in philosophy and nuance, they can get caught up in it. So we have to correct that when it does happen.
  • Options
    There is just a very "us vs. them" mentality among those who have bought into the idea that their values are under attack, and that's as prevalent in the Church as anywhere. The beliefs of the Catholic Church do not and cannot align with either political party, and yet there are plenty of people who try to rationalize doing so anyway.

This priest at Seton and other Catholics who think like him are conflating the idea of having to do battle with sin internally and having to do battle with people who don't espouse your beliefs. You do battle with the former; you invite the latter. That's why I'm involved in formation within the Church. I want to keep people from throwing the baby out with the bathwater, and there is a lot of that going on. Even among people who have training in philosophy and nuance, they can get caught up in it. So we have to correct that when it does happen.
    So very true and sad.