Wedding Woes

Stealing the bride's thunder

Saw this while scrolling Facebook this morning: https://www.reddit.com/r/AmItheAsshole/comments/hjjjxc/wibta_if_i_brought_my_famous_boyfriend_to_my/

Some interesting suggestions on there. What say the Knotties?

~*~*~*~*~

Re: Stealing the bride's thunder

• Asshole move on sister's part to try to tell the guest who she can and can't bring.

That said, the sister of the bride needs to keep things on the down low and the BF needs to not grab a mic and sing, etc.  

It's going to be unusual but if that happens you don't get to tell someone that their date is "too famous" for your wedding.   

Also, that's a way to think so little of yourself if you need to surround yourself with only those you can somehow deem "less" than your own fame.   Be more secure!
  • I disagree with a ton of redditors that are saying it’s fine for the bride not to invite him so he doesn’t upstage her. They’ve been together 8months and he’s met the family. Clearly they consider themselves in a relationship, he should be invited and the bride needs to let it go. 
  • I don't think it's right for the bride not to invite him. Yes, he's famous, and yes, it's an unusual situation. But at the end of the day, he's her sister's boyfriend, and the bride needs to respect that by including him. 

I do like the idea, if it's possible, of finding some way for him to meet the extended family prior to the wedding so it's not that big of a deal when he's there on the big day. It's natural that the family would be excited about meeting him, so letting them get it out of their system ahead of time could help.
  • I don't think it's right for the bride not to invite him. Yes, he's famous, and yes, it's an unusual situation. But at the end of the day, he's her sister's boyfriend, and the bride needs to respect that by including him. 

I do like the idea, if it's possible, of finding some way for him to meet the extended family prior to the wedding so it's not that big of a deal when he's there on the big day. It's natural that the family would be excited about meeting him, so letting them get it out of their system ahead of time could help.
    Agree!  Break the ice if you can!   Maybe have a big RD?  
  • Agree with PPs

Hi! @Cookie Pusher it’s good to “see” you!

• ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I like the advice to try and get extended family to meet him beforehand so it's not a big deal at the wedding.  Totally agree that LW should be allowed to bring him.

I don't know if anyone watched American Idol, and if so remembers a contestant Pia Toscano from several years ago?  She's from a very Italian neighborhood in Queens (a part of NYC), which is the same 'hood my BIL grew up in.  Before Idol she sang with a band that's very popular for weddings, books out months in advance.  The band was playing my sister and BIL's wedding seven years ago, and two days before their wedding the manager called my sister and said (excitedly) "Pia's in town!  She'd love to play a night with us for old time's sake!".  My sister balked and originally said no, bc she didn't want to be upstaged.  She called back three minutes later and said "no, it's okay, she can come".  She didn't want her thunder stolen, and a lot of the crowd thought Pia was a huge deal, but she decided instead that it'd be nice.  In the end Pia rocked it and the guests that wanted photos, autographs, etc got them, but it didn't take away any attention from the couple.  Just sharing my version of the Reddit story, lol
  • Nope - the sister is the AH not the LW...  I've got a lot of "famous" friends because of my career path, the reality is, they also have "off" time too.  Going out places, sure we do a little more screening, plan "escape" routes, but mostly people when they are recognized are too chicken**it to even come up and talk to them.  Also, there's a reason most know "even when you're "off" you're still on!" and it's part of the deal so when creating your persona make sure it's also the one you are when you're "off"...