Wedding Woes

Entertainment thread

mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
edited July 2020 in Wedding Woes
What have you been watching or listening to lately?

New pods on my roster:

Radio Rental, 1st person retelling of chilling real life stuff.  Unexplained phenomenon, encounters with prolific dangerous people, unsettling experiences.  It's just the person telling the story as they remember it. 

Hall of Shame, woman hosted podcast about sports scandals. Don't have to be a sports fan to enjoy. 

TV:

Lenox Hill: It's real life Grey's Anatomy, LOL...sort of.  It follows their neruosurgery dept, an OB who's pregnant herself, and an ER doc who is also pregnant.  There's no sex in the on-call room, but it's compelling af.  I am rooting for these doctors and their patients. 

Unsolved Mysteries: We watched the episode about the French aristocrat that likely killed his entire family and then disappeared.  Even though it was entirely in French and subtitled, DH and I were captivated. I can't wait to watch more. 

I'll Be Gone In The Dark: Based on the book of the same name about the Golden State Killer.  It's a wonderful tribute to Michelle McNamara and the way the victims are handled is just so gentle.  

Hanna season 2:  It's...OK.  I feel like it's getting a little repetitive in the middle. I think we're on episode 5 or 6.  I hope the season ends better and/or this seemingly repetition means something to to overall story. 

Re: Entertainment thread

• Indian Matchmaker on Netflix. I’m so tempted to watch it while working.  But I haven’t. 
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited July 2020
    Ummmm Im way behind in American Horror Story, just finished apocalypse and decided to give cult a 2nd chance.  I originally skipped over it. I’m half way through that now.
    up next, not sure if I’m doing Bates Motel, Chilling adventures of Sabrina or Riverdale. I gave the last 2 a chance before, but I didn't give the shows 100% concentration.  
    Before AHS I did Waco and Ozark.  Both so so good!

I saw that Lennox Hill ad the other day @mrsconn23.  But I’m not a fan of doc shows so probably wont happen. Also should add unsolved mysteries to my list.  Used to watch it when I was little

• Binging on Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. It's an Australian murder mystery series set in the 1920s.

Watched Hamilton on Disney+ this weekend.

Not sure what will come next.
  • DH and I are watching Santa Clarita Diet because we are behind in everything.

If any of you have kids, we've been loving The Big Fib on Disney +. 
  • I loved medical dramas @mrsconn23, although I’ve had a hard time watching them during pregnancy because it increases my anxiety when there are pregnant patients! Hoping I can watch Lenox Hill after he gets here. 
  • GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I enjoyed miss Fisher mysteries, they're just fun.

I've been doing audiobooks a lot.  I JUST finished t. Kingfisher's "the twisted ones" which is....odd and fun

And before that was "the faceless old woman who secretly lives in your home" by Joseph fink.  I tried to get into Nightvale podcasts yrs ago and couldn't but this is making me try again. It was read by mara Wilson-child actor from "Matilda "

Both of those ^qualified as "books that would be loosey classified as  "suspense" but made me laugh outloud a few times

Thise 2 were fluff to follow up on listening to "the New Jim Crow: Mass Incarceration in the Age of Colorblindness" by Michelle Alexander, which was amazing and really hard. Highly recommend. 

• H and I recently watched Living with Yourself on Netflix - so good.  Hannah Gadsby's most recent stand-up Douglas is phenomenal.  Brooklyn 99 is pretty funny and light (1st season sucked, it grows on you)

We just started Handmaid's tale bc we're super late to the party. 
  • @banana468 I loved Santa Clarita Diet! I always loved Drew Barrymore, and it reminded me why. 

Right now we're watching the MLS tournament, so it's games every night, but I'm hoping to start Hanna soon. We just finished Jessica Jones. I also have a season of Workin Moms that I need to watch when H isn't around. Except it's a pandemic, so he's always around. 
  • @banana468 I loved Santa Clarita Diet! I always loved Drew Barrymore, and it reminded me why. 

Right now we're watching the MLS tournament, so it's games every night, but I'm hoping to start Hanna soon. We just finished Jessica Jones. I also have a season of Workin Moms that I need to watch when H isn't around. Except it's a pandemic, so he's always around. 
    Workin Moms was so good!  We watched that last month too

• I loved medical dramas @mrsconn23, although I’ve had a hard time watching them during pregnancy because it increases my anxiety when there are pregnant patients! Hoping I can watch Lenox Hill after he gets here. 
    I read a fun article a few years ago written in anticipation of the ER series being on Netflix (something like that).  Which was many years after the series had ended.  One of the main people they were interviewing was the doctor who had been the medical advisor for the show.

(Warning to @charlotte989875, you may not want to read the rest of my post)

Apparently, there was an "infamous" episode in the first season.  The show had decided that the character Dr. Mark Greene was too perfect and needed to be "flawed" a bit.  The scenario was a very pregnant woman had come into the ER earlier in the day when they were slammed.  Dr. Greene was busy, misdiagnosed her, and sent her on her way.

She returned hours later with her H, but now she was in serious trouble.  Blizzard conditions had left few personnel in the ER.  The woman needed surgery but the OB/GYN on call couldn't get to the hospital because of the weather, so she had to walk Dr. Greene through the surgery over the phone.  Unfortunately, the baby was saved, but the mother died.  I'm pretty sure the medical diagnosis he missed was eclampsia, but my memory may be off.

At any rate, the "behind the scenes" on that episode is a lot funnier.

The day after the show aired, the medical advisor got phone calls from his OB/GYN buddies that were along the lines of, "Dude!  You SUCK!  My patients have been calling all day freaked out about eclampsia.  You owe me drinks and a round of golf now (laugh)."

And, apparently, the show shot four different endings because they weren't sure which way they wanted to go.  One where both mom and baby died.  One where they both lived.  One where the mom survived, but the baby died.  And the one they did air.

An (I think) assistant producer was also interviewed and talked about this episode.  In talking about the decision for the ending they chose, he said they quickly eliminated the two endings where the baby died.  Because...his quote made me laugh so hard, I almost fell over because it sounds so "wrong", but I get it..."We decided we couldn't kill a baby in the first season.  I mean, we killed babies!  But not in the first season."       
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

😂 🤣 😆 

😂 🤣 😆 
    Even though we rarely watch our bedroom TV, this is why I'm glad we have one.  DH and I try to watch some shows together, but I am much better at being a casual TV viewer than DH. I'll give a lot more shows a shot, whereas DH wants his TV time to be 'quality'.  Plus he and DefConn have shows they watch together (about cars, typically) and IDGAF.   Also DH hates watching TV in bed, but I love it. And it's my hiding spot when certain people overstay their 'welcome' (*cough* FIL *cough*).
  • ei34ei34 member
    I recommend Sebastian Maniscalco stand ups.  I kind of want to check out the Baby-Sitters Club on Netflix.  I loved those books back in the day.  Although I'm not a big tv watcher- I save screen time for when my kids are in bed and by then I don't have the energy to pay attention to something new, I just end up with a show I've seen many times on in the background while I text with my sister and cousin or scroll my phone.  Bad habit, I know.
  • Has anyone seen Barry?  I really want to start it and with only a few seasons I'm trying to get DH on board. 
  • banana468 said:
    Has anyone seen Barry?  I really want to start it and with only a few seasons I'm trying to get DH on board. 
    OMG.  I love that show.  It's delightfully batshit.  I adore Bill Hader and Henry Winkler. 
  • banana468 said:
    Has anyone seen Barry?  I really want to start it and with only a few seasons I'm trying to get DH on board. 
    We watched it. I liked but didn't love it. The overly exaggerated goofy villains annoy me after a while, but H thinks they're hilarious. 
  • mrsconn23 said:
    banana468 said:
    OMG.  I love that show.  It's delightfully batshit.  I adore Bill Hader and Henry Winkler. 
    Yeah?  DH was not interested and I thought "Dood, you love all things like this why not?"   I think I'll see if he can watch one episode after we finish SCD ( think we're halfway through the 2nd season) and then we watch it. 

• ei34 said:
    I recommend Sebastian Maniscalco stand ups.  I kind of want to check out the Baby-Sitters Club on Netflix.  I loved those books back in the day.  Although I'm not a big tv watcher- I save screen time for when my kids are in bed and by then I don't have the energy to pay attention to something new, I just end up with a show I've seen many times on in the background while I text with my sister and cousin or scroll my phone.  Bad habit, I know.
    100% me though. I feel like the only time I CAN devote to a show is when I’m on the treadmill and no phone in hand. 

• I just started watching Abstentia.  I hadn't noticed it before, but Amazon just dropped season 3 and I really like Stana Katic, so gave it a chance.  Binged the entire first season in a day.  Season 2 has been a bit slower, but is still interesting.  The suspense they create is really good, even if the actual mystery is a little full of holes at times.

Still catching up on In the Dark.  Haven't started any other podcasts right now b/c I'm pretty enthralled with it.
  • VarunaTT said:

Still catching up on In the Dark.  Haven't started any other podcasts right now b/c I'm pretty enthralled with it.
    That is one of my all time favorite podcasts.  I love that team so much and they are so persistent in their investigations. 
  • Has anyone listened to Once Upon a Time in the Valley podcast that just came out? I read some reviews of it but haven’t started it yet. 
  • Also for any gymnastics fans out here the new ESPN 30 for 30 podcast is on the Karolyis. 

• @CharmedPam is AHS scary? I'm curious but I'm a pansy with scary.

M and I are watching Modern Family.
    Umbrella Academy season 2 starts July 31st so we'll be starting that soon.
  • @CharmedPam is AHS scary? I'm curious but I'm a pansy with scary.

M and I are watching Modern Family.
    Umbrella Academy season 2 starts July 31st so we'll be starting that soon.
    We've been rewatching season 1 in anticipation for Umbrella Academy.

I have a love/hate relationship with AHS.  There's always one scene in the series that makes me flinch so badly and consider giving it up.  If it's far enough in the season, I make it through.  If it's not (Hotel had the scene in the first episode), I don't make it and quit watching.  It can be scary, but it's usually not the "jump out and scare you" type, if that helps any.  I couldn't make it through Cult and haven't watched since.
  • Yeah Cult is the worst season so far.  It’s only
    scary if you can’t stand clowns.  The theme is all about fear, but more political fear than anything.

To answer your question @MissKittyDanger, it would depend on the season.  I don’t think Coven, Hotel, Freak Show or Apocalypse were scary scary... but I bet there are scenes in the others that are. But it’s hard to gauge scary for me. No one i talked to really liked the Roanoke season but I hafta say, it’s my favorite (with Murder House tied). Didn’t find Roanoke to be to scary either. 

Netflix doesn’t have 1984 yet, which I’m dying to see.  Seasons 10-13 have been locked in though! And the actors are GREAT!  I just found out that Billie Lourd was Carrie Fisher’s daughter. 

• Yeah Cult is the worst season so far.  It’s only
    scary if you can’t stand clowns.  The theme is all about fear, but more political fear than anything.

To answer your question @MissKittyDanger, it would depend on the season.  I don’t think Coven, Hotel, Freak Show or Apocalypse were scary scary... but I bet there are scenes in the others that are. But it’s hard to gauge scary for me. No one i talked to really liked the Roanoke season but I hafta say, it’s my favorite (with Murder House tied). Didn’t find Roanoke to be to scary either. 

Netflix doesn’t have 1984 yet, which I’m dying to see.  Seasons 10-13 have been locked in though! And the actors are GREAT!  I just found out that Billie Lourd was Carrie Fisher’s daughter. 

I can't stand clowns, but I made it through Freak Show fine b/c Twisty's story line was different pretty quickly.  But Cult just...oh man the scene with clowns in the grocery store had me pacing trying not to hyperventilate.  And b/c Poulson (who is magical) plays her illnesses so well, it was totally feeding into it.  Then just the entirety of the political situation....I just had to stop.

I loved Roanoke too!  IDK why it gets so much hate, I loved the style and the mythology of it.  My favorite is probably Asylum just b/c of the performances (I ignore the aliens).  Apocalypse did look really good from what I did see of it.  I just didn't like Coven and dropped out of watching it (I really hated that opening scene with Kathy Bates too, I almost didn't make it through that).
  • @VarunaTT, After seeing Roanoke, I went on to Cult, and only made 20 minutes of it.  This was months ago.  I saw ep 1 of Apocalypse. It didn't suck, but I had no desire to go back to it.  I realize I can get through an ep and a half of most shows on netflix in the a.m so something brought me back to Apocalypse.  My friend said to give Cult another chance, so I am. 

Coven and Hotel, to me, were good not great.  Coven gets so much praise. I’m in a few halloween, horror, dark culture fb groups and AHS gets talked about a lot, with a lot of polls.  Everybody loves Coven! I agree on Paulson.  She’s amazing.  And Connie Briton, of course, but she never came back. 

• @VarunaTT, After seeing Roanoke, I went on to Cult, and only made 20 minutes of it.  This was months ago.  I saw ep 1 of Apocalypse. It didn't suck, but I had no desire to go back to it.  I realize I can get through an ep and a half of most shows on netflix in the a.m so something brought me back to Apocalypse.  My friend said to give Cult another chance, so I am. 

Coven and Hotel, to me, were good not great.  Coven gets so much praise. I’m in a few halloween, horror, dark culture fb groups and AHS gets talked about a lot, with a lot of polls.  Everybody loves Coven! I agree on Paulson.  She’s amazing.  And Connie Briton, of course, but she never came back. 
    I have never understood the high praise Coven gets.  I think I made it through 3-4 episodes (that's usually the number that I give anything) and just wasn't interested.  Everything everyone else thought was so great (the witches!  the Steve Nicks throwbacks!) I was meh about. 

Hotel I actually was pretty interested in just b/c of Gaga and Denis O'Hare doing Elizabeth Taylor (he's one of my favorite actors on the show as well), but the rape scene and the bloody vampire? scene just turned my stomach too hard for me to get past it later.  Then I watched and loved Roanake, couldn't make it through Cult and just kind of quit?  I love Poulson, but I just didn't have the drive to go after it anymore like I previously had.
  • CharmedPamCharmedPam member
    edited July 2020
    VarunaTT said:
    @VarunaTT, After seeing Roanoke, I went on to Cult, and only made 20 minutes of it.  This was months ago.  I saw ep 1 of Apocalypse. It didn't suck, but I had no desire to go back to it.  I realize I can get through an ep and a half of most shows on netflix in the a.m so something brought me back to Apocalypse.  My friend said to give Cult another chance, so I am. 

I have never understood the high praise Coven gets.  I think I made it through 3-4 episodes (that's usually the number that I give anything) and just wasn't interested.  Everything everyone else thought was so great (the witches!  the Steve Nicks throwbacks!) I was meh about. 

Hotel I actually was pretty interested in just b/c of Gaga and Denis O'Hare doing Elizabeth Taylor (he's one of my favorite actors on the show as well), but the rape scene and the bloody vampire? scene just turned my stomach too hard for me to get past it later.  Then I watched and loved Roanake, couldn't make it through Cult and just kind of quit?  I love Poulson, but I just didn't have the drive to go after it anymore like I previously had.
    Ok well if you wont go back to Apocalypse, I’ll spoil it for you anyway.

Stevie Nicks comes back.  And it’s cheesy AF.  She stops to sing to the witches as they’re preparing to battle.  Lol.  Even I made a face during it.  What was the point of that....?

• @CharmedPam I heard Roanoke was least liked but most misunderstood. I have done makeup based on Freak Show and I wanted to see Coven.

I may test the waters. I was hesitant of Haunting of Hill House but the storyline was soooo good and nothing really scary per say {creepy, yes}