Wedding Woes

Tuesday? I think?

I’m unreliable for what day it is now, but I think it’s Tuesday. 

I (fingers crossed) sorted out the problem with my leave yesterday and should be getting the pay adjustment in my next check but I’m still skeptical. Our leave is handled by a third party and they had me on leave as of my due date and not my actual delivery date, but because I hadn’t delivered yet they didn’t “approve” my leave so I didn’t get paid for those days. It’s such a ridiculous system. I know I should be grateful I get paid leave at all but the US system is so broken. 

On the bright side I’m drinking coffee while H snuggles the baby. I even took a shower already. 

Re: Tuesday? I think?

• Hope that gets cleared up soon @charlotte989875!

so something odd happened to me early this morning.  Don’t want to make this TMI or anything - but it’s kinda TMI if your Squeamish about Saliva I’d say don’t read on:

So I used some L Carnitine before my workout this morning. it’s in liquid form.  I got up at 4:10 am, worked out for 1 hr and 15 minutes, showered and went to back to bed after it since I had 1.5 hours before I really had to be up! 

I noticed that my saliva was building up REALLY fast after I laid down. Like, at a rate that I have never experienced before.  I was on my back and fell asleep and woke up to a mouth full of salivia. I could have chocked! 

So then I went on my side, face was facing down, and fell back asleep.  I woke up again, opened my mouth and it gushed out. Not drool, like a mouth full of salivia.  So scary because I could have chocked’

I read up on L Carnitine and nothing says it could cause any effect like hyper-salvation - so what gives?  This all happened AFTER my workout and after taking it.  Sleep throughout the night was fine.  It’s fine now because I’m awake and can swallow - but still a rapid build up - any doctors in the house? Pseudo docs? Of course I wont take it if I’m going back to sleep but this is great for workouts and muscle recovery.

• I’m unreliable for what day it is now, but I think it’s Tuesday. 

I (fingers crossed) sorted out the problem with my leave yesterday and should be getting the pay adjustment in my next check but I’m still skeptical. Our leave is handled by a third party and they had me on leave as of my due date and not my actual delivery date, but because I hadn’t delivered yet they didn’t “approve” my leave so I didn’t get paid for those days. It’s such a ridiculous system. I know I should be grateful I get paid leave at all but the US system is so broken. 

On the bright side I’m drinking coffee while H snuggles the baby. I even took a shower already. 
    Leave is SO infuriating.     I worked for a small business when I had my two kids and had to use STD Ins. to cover my leave w/ that supplemental plan because the company did not offer leave on their own.   I got it but it's annoying that this is not part of how companies as a whole are forced to budget and plan for a growing world. 

Good for you for getting a shower!     How is everything else going?  

It's a crazy day and I'm working a 3 day week after being on vacation last  week.    Mount Desert Island in Maine was GORGEOUS and I highly recommend it if you're mildly outdoorsy.   We hiked Acadia mountain (uphill BOTH WAYS) and saw the sunset on Wednesday from Cadillac mountain.    It was nice to be there even while family and friends were going through events that were super scary (a covid hospitalization leading to possible permanent heart issues, our niece was born and passed two hours later and my doctors think my dad has been having several mini strokes and he's currently on blood thinners in the hospital because those have affected his ability to speak in more than affirmative answers).   It was a week to be loved and together.

DH and Chiquita and FIL are fishing.   I hope she catches the big one! 
  • I had to use STD and FMLA and (only half was paid) for leave as well since my (Fortune 500) company does not offer any sort of actual maternity leave.  Although we claim that we do in our benefits section of our website and Sustainability reports but it's all covered through regulated STD/FMLA benefits that anyone can use and are not specific to maternity/paternity.  I'm salty about the distinction.  

My parents finally got power back Sunday afternoon so we are here now.  7 full days without and there are still many areas nearby that are projected to be without power for another 7ish days.  The devastation is horrifying.  I'm off the next few days to help with cleanup around the property -just lots of trees and debris, thankfully no structural damage. 

The evenings have been beautiful here, so H and are planning a "date" night a couple times this week to sit outside with drinks while my parents watch the baby monitor.  It will be nice :)

• I understand your leave struggles all too well.  I hope they get it sorted out.  Such a headache.  

DH is working from home this week.  He made an amazing steak, egg, potato hash for breakfast this morning from our leftover Sunday dinner.  

Tomorrow is my day off and I think we're going to try to go to brunch.  

SSDD Tuesday, blah.  
  • edited August 2020
    banana468 said:
    I’m unreliable for what day it is now, but I think it’s Tuesday. 

Leave is SO infuriating.     I worked for a small business when I had my two kids and had to use STD Ins. to cover my leave w/ that supplemental plan because the company did not offer leave on their own.   I got it but it's annoying that this is not part of how companies as a whole are forced to budget and plan for a growing world. 

Good for you for getting a shower!     How is everything else going?  

It's a crazy day and I'm working a 3 day week after being on vacation last  week.    Mount Desert Island in Maine was GORGEOUS and I highly recommend it if you're mildly outdoorsy.   We hiked Acadia mountain (uphill BOTH WAYS) and saw the sunset on Wednesday from Cadillac mountain.    It was nice to be there even while family and friends were going through events that were super scary (a covid hospitalization leading to possible permanent heart issues, our niece was born and passed two hours later and my doctors think my dad has been having several mini strokes and he's currently on blood thinners in the hospital because those have affected his ability to speak in more than affirmative answers).   It was a week to be loved and together.

DH and Chiquita and FIL are fishing.   I hope she catches the big one! 
    This is kind of what we do; I have to file for STD, FMLA, and NYPFL, which covers a portion of my salary for 12 weeks. Then my company supplements the remainder of my pay so that I have 100% of my salary for the 12 weeks. But because the third party insurance pays the STD/NYPFL until they pay out my company just didn’t pay me for those days? It should be straightened out since I delivered and updated my dates with the vendor but the communication between my company and the vendor is super slow and not at all reliable. 

We’re doing all right otherwise; the shower makes a huge difference. I think the baby blues hit me worst in the afternoon so I’m trying to be a little more gentle with myself then and hoping it eases soon. 

Edit: your trip sounds amazing! I’ve always wanted to do a trip to Maine, and im mad that even when I lived in NH I never made it over there. Hopefully in the next few years! 
  • edited August 2020
    Casadena said:
    I had to use STD and FMLA and (only half was paid) for leave as well since my (Fortune 500) company does not offer any sort of actual maternity leave.  Although we claim that we do in our benefits section of our website and Sustainability reports but it's all covered through regulated STD/FMLA benefits that anyone can use and are not specific to maternity/paternity.  I'm salty about the distinction.  

My parents finally got power back Sunday afternoon so we are here now.  7 full days without and there are still many areas nearby that are projected to be without power for another 7ish days.  The devastation is horrifying.  I'm off the next few days to help with cleanup around the property -just lots of trees and debris, thankfully no structural damage. 

The evenings have been beautiful here, so H and are planning a "date" night a couple times this week to sit outside with drinks while my parents watch the baby monitor.  It will be nice :)

Yeah we have something similar too and it’s super frustrating because we tout how great our parental leave is (and to be fair 12 paid weeks is good!) but most of that is STD/NYPFL which they’re required to give us.

Hope you enjoy your date nights! Sounds pretty great to me!!
  • I hope everything gets straightened out soon @charlotte989875

I’m back at work for SSDD and salty about it. Yesterday was rough. People called off, a higher up was riding me about something I have zero control over, my difficult coworker got into it with one of my staff...it was just a shitty day. 

I’m ready for this week to end and it’s only Tuesday. Ugh. Oh, it’s also supposed to hit 111 today so that’s nice. I scared for next month’s electricity bill. 

• @charlotte989875, yay to coffee and showers!  Hopefully everything is sorted out now with your leave and you are paid the appropriate difference with your next paycheck.

@banana468, Your vacation sounds amazing!  I hope things go well for the friends and family you all have going through medical problems.

@Casadena, good luck to your parents getting their power back on sooner rather than later.  Drinks outside on a lazy evening sound great!  I need to make a point to do more of that when the weather gets cooler.

@CharmedPam, what a weird thing to have happen!  Unfortunately, I don't have any thoughts on that.

For my own WebMD moment, I was shocked I found an answer to a weird symptom I had.  This was a couple years ago, but I occasionally felt like there was a string tied around my second toe (next to the big toe) on my left foot.  I have long hair and kept thinking a strand(s) of hair had migrated down and was annoying me.  But there was never anything there.  I finally had enough and Googled it one day.  Feeling like a crazy person for typing "feels like string tied around toe".

Just like (sometimes) helpful Google does, it starts to give suggestions as I'm typing in my query.  Lo and behold, not only did it start to pull up that suggestion, but even added a "on my left foot".  GTFO, lol!!!

Apparently there are tendons that run from your toes and, if they get aggravated/inflamed, it feels like a string is tied around your toe.  One of the things that can cause this to happen is using the clutch (left foot!) when driving a manual transmission car.  Which I do drive.  Nothing much to do about it except let it heal on its own.  But it was nice to finally know what was going on.

My day is going okay.  I am anxiously, anxiously awaiting my second draw request to come in.  Because I am just about broke and I hate cutting things this close!  Long story short, my loan company really screwed me over on this because of their usual incompetence, which caused a 6-week delay in my being able to submit my request.  But the process just started, so it's still probably another month away before I get the money (sigh).

On the up side, we are SO close to being done with our two-duplex rehab.  Three units are done and the fourth unit is only about 2 weeks away.  I also have two units rented and the third has a lease, they just haven't moved in yet.

After that, it's refi time (please let that go smoothly) so I can get out of my short-term, high interest loan and into a more typical long-term loan.  And then the nightmare and a huge amount of my stress will be gone and the dream will start.  Dream might be an overstatement, lol.  However I would be in a position where, I wouldn't quit my job.  But, if I got laid off, I could live comfortably albeit frugally.  3-4 months away.  I can do it.  I just need to keep up my patience.  Which has become increasingly difficult because all of this has taken way too long, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Best of luck @charlotte989875 in getting your leave issues straightened out soon and with the baby.

No work to do at my job. This is temporary, and yes, I still feel so lucky to have a job at this time. But it's so weird. 
  • levioosa said:
    I hope everything gets straightened out soon @charlotte989875

I’m back at work for SSDD and salty about it. Yesterday was rough. People called off, a higher up was riding me about something I have zero control over, my difficult coworker got into it with one of my staff...it was just a shitty day. 

I’m ready for this week to end and it’s only Tuesday. Ugh. Oh, it’s also supposed to hit 111 today so that’s nice. I scared for next month’s electricity bill. 
    111 is horrible!  I'm sure you saw, but they had the hottest recorded day on record for the US over the last 100 years, a few days ago.  118 in Death Valley.

My computer's network is in Phoenix, AZ, so when I'm on the Internet the links/ads are always geared toward that area.  It was 103 there yesterday.

I guess that makes NOLA pratically "cool and breezy" with our low 90s, lmao.  That actually is a little cooler than it normally is in August.  But it still feels like being trapped in a sauna. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • levioosa said:
    I hope everything gets straightened out soon @charlotte989875

Is it common for people to call off at your work? It’s seems like it happens a lot. Are there no repercussions for calling off frequently? 
  • @charlotte989875 there are. Tbh I can’t blame some of the call offs with how burnt out everyone is. Other people are just chronic and they will get written up/it will reflect on their evaluations. My coworker who sucks called off on Friday but she almost never calls off. It was definitely a passive aggressive call off, but there’s no proof of that and she calls off so infrequently that there won’t be any repercussions. 

• That's great news @climbingwife!  I hope you are feeling better.  Are you going to move out soon?  Take care, lady!
  • Great news @climbingwife!

And as someone who has been on an insane amount of antibiotics throughout their life, including IV, I highly recommend some good quality probiotics to help your gut get back to normal. They’ve also been super helpful in preventing yeast infections post antibiotics for me. 

• mrsconn23 said:
    That's great news @climbingwife!  I hope you are feeling better.  Are you going to move out soon?  Take care, lady!
    Thanks! Yup, the plan is to move to my brother's soon.
    That’s great news!! Glad you had the PICC line removed too.