Wedding Woes

Entertainment thread

2»

Re: Entertainment thread

• Oh yeah if you can sit through Haunting of Hill House - you got this!  Haunting of HH was supposed to be reeeeeeeal scary.

actually I should finish that after AHS

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited July 2020
    Also for any gymnastics fans out here the new ESPN 30 for 30 podcast is on the Karolyis. 

I binged it yesterday because I could not stop.  I was peripherally aware of their awfulness, but this really drove it home.  Holy hell Marta Karoyli is an evil bitch.

• mrsconn23 said:
    Also for any gymnastics fans out here the new ESPN 30 for 30 podcast is on the Karolyis. 

I binged it yesterday because I could not stop.  I was peripherally aware of their awfulness, but this really drove it home.  Holy hell Marta Karoyli is an evil bitch.

I’m only on episode 2 but I know I’m going to finish it in like 2 days. 

I think between this and Athlete A so much more is coming out about how terrible they were and how complicit they were in abuse. 
  • Oh yeah if you can sit through Haunting of Hill House - you got this!  Haunting of HH was supposed to be reeeeeeeal scary.

actually I should finish that after AHS
    Honestly, I found it more creepy than scary. I don't like jump scares, and I found HH was more anticipation, and when something scary was going to happen you could see it coming. {didn't make it less creepy lol}
    But omg the storylines are sooooo good! Let me know when you do watch :)
  • In The Dark (Netflix) is so good. I just started season 2. 

I'm also happy to see The Last Dance is finally on Netflix too. I also recorded the Go-Go's doc on Showtime. I'm halfway through. 
  • Anybody watching Derry Girls? 
  • ei34 said:
    I recommend Sebastian Maniscalco stand ups.  I kind of want to check out the Baby-Sitters Club on Netflix.  I loved those books back in the day.  Although I'm not a big tv watcher- I save screen time for when my kids are in bed and by then I don't have the energy to pay attention to something new, I just end up with a show I've seen many times on in the background while I text with my sister and cousin or scroll my phone.  Bad habit, I know.

I LOVE Sebastian.  Perhaps because he is a "local", but I laugh out loud at his stuff.  You might have to be older to appreciate this particular clip, because it is spot on, but he had me at Sanka....
    https://youtu.be/9hv0M4mnrE8

• love it @MobKaz! “Cracked muffins are for you guys” lol. Never heard of him but always up for a good comedian.

• DH and I started "Teenage Bounty Hunters" on Netflix.  It's hilarious.  It's a dark comedy and most of the parts are played absolutely perfect.  
  • We've been watching Doom Patrol on HBO Max and I adore it.

I'm also almost finished with "Root of Evil: The True Story of the Hodel Family and the Black Dahlia" podcast.  It's very good.  It's about the family of the person suspected of killing Elizabeth Short.  I think it was supposed to be listened to in conjunction with watching the TNT? series as well, but I lost interest in the series.
  • For some reason, I cannot get into the Black Dahlia or The Staircase cases.  I've tried.  But they just don't 'do it' for me.  
  • mrsconn23 said:
    For some reason, I cannot get into the Black Dahlia or The Staircase cases.  I've tried.  But they just don't 'do it' for me.  
    This is the first time I've liked one.  I think it's b/c it's the story of the Hodel family and the....psychopathy of George Hodel and the familial trauma that's happened as a result.  It's not really about the murder much at all.  It's the family doing the podcast as well, so lots of first source interviews that are treated compassionately.  B/c that man was pure evil with how he twisted his family to his needs and how that trauma was carried through generations.
  • That Black Dahlia podcast was so damn disturbing. 
  • Being home, I'm basically keeping Netflix on all day!

Right now, my main shows to get me through the day are: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Good Place, The West Wing, Designated Survivor and World's Most Wanted.  I also recently started watching the BBC's Sherlock.  I also watch Mindhunters from time to time, but that is so dark, I can't do it every day.

H & I are watching: Schitt's Creek, Lost, Man in the High Castle, Agents of Shield and Unsolved Mysteries.

Any suggestions for half hour shows?  We are almost done Schitt's Creek and need another shorter show.  Other shows that we like are Parks & Rec, Office, 30 Rock, Grace & Frankie and other irreverent comedies.  I think I will have us start on Arrest Development.  We could use some more options though!

Right now, my main shows to get me through the day are: Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, Good Place, The West Wing, Designated Survivor and World's Most Wanted.  I also recently started watching the BBC's Sherlock.  I also watch Mindhunters from time to time, but that is so dark, I can't do it every day.

H & I are watching: Schitt's Creek, Lost, Man in the High Castle, Agents of Shield and Unsolved Mysteries.

Any suggestions for half hour shows?  We are almost done Schitt's Creek and need another shorter show.  Other shows that we like are Parks & Rec, Office, 30 Rock, Grace & Frankie and other irreverent comedies.  I think I will have us start on Arrest Development.  We could use some more options though!
    We’re watching a lot of the same shows these days! 

I definitely recommend the original Arrested Development although the reboot episodes aren’t as good. 
  • It seems like I have run out of true crime podcasts so I have been branching out. 
    So far, I am enjoying This is Love and Family Ghosts.

We’re watching a lot of the same shows these days! 

I definitely recommend the original Arrested Development although the reboot episodes aren’t as good. 
    Omg!  I thought opposite!  Maybe storyline was bleh - but I thought the humor was Definitely there.  Love all the ones you mentioned @OliveOilsMom  

• More Podcast recs: Very Presidential with Ashley Flowers and Scam Goddess (omg the FYRE Fest episode had me rolling and the Shaun King episode it eye-opening)

Chef's Table BBQ is also awesome.  We watched the first episode and it just made me so happy.  The lady featured lives pretty close to where my grandpa does and I so wish they could meet and be friends.  They have so much in common. 

I do not recommend "The Home Edit".  It's obnoxious.  DH was hilariously talking shit to the TV while we tried to get through the first episode. 
  • I've been listening to NPR's "Louder Than A Riot".  If you like hip-hop, you might enjoy this.  It's about the connections between the criminal justice system and rap music.  It's really interesting and encompassing.  
  • I just finished Unorthodox on Netflix.  Very interesting look inside a Hasidic Jewish community and women. I hope they do another season.
  • I finally listened to the Tupac & Biggie Slow Burn. I also love American Scandal! 
  • MNNEBride said:
    I just finished Unorthodox on Netflix.  Very interesting look inside a Hasidic Jewish community and women. I hope they do another season.
    When my H and I evacuated to Miami after Hurricane Katrina, we lived in the predominantly Hasidic Jewish community of Bal Harbor.  It's not a religious sect I'd ever been exposed to before so it was initially "visually surprising" (for lack of a better phrase) to be rubbing elbows with people who are dressed more formally and somberly.  Especially when the rest of Miami is...uhhh...not, lol.

Overall, I really disliked Miami.  But if any of you every find yourselves down there, the Bal Harbor area is NICE!  We were kind of desperate when we were looking, especially because it had to be month-to-month only, and felt very lucky to have landed in such a great part of town.

This was before AirBnB, but the lady we were renting from normally rented that condo out to vacationers.  It was so win-win!  Because it was a vacation rental, it was furnished.  She didn't have any bookings until December.  We wanted to stay from mid Sept.. to mid Nov.  She "nicely" made it clear we would have to be out in Nov. (we were) because she had a "regular" who always had it booked for the entire month of Dec.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • On the You and Me Both with Hillary Clinton, the bonus episode is her speaking to Pelosi after the insurrection.  TBH, I've been close to tears listening to Pelosi speak and just sound so completely confident and in charge.  
  • Yes, I gave up on AHS, but did watch 1984. Loved the music and that story line.

I just finished watching Big Sky. I liked it. 
  • M & I just powered through "History of Swear Words" {loved Bitch!}

We're now watching Kim's Convenience. Fun Canadian show :) Very lighthearted and funny, but also short eps that make you end up watching like 4 in a row lol

Is anyone watching WandaVision ?
  • @OliveOilsMom, late in the game but a good 1/2 hr show I watched is New Girl.

right now I’m finishing up Good Place and in another turn in direction, will start up AHS 1984.  I’m all over the place in shows.

history of swear words I had on in the background, but didn’t really care for it

• @CharmedPam - I started New Girl about 2 weeks ago!  LOL!