Wedding Woes

Tuesday

IDK how I keep being the first one, I'm usually late.

I did not watch the RNC convention last night.  I've caught highlights and I was able to follow along on Twitter and that was enough.  I fundamentally feel like a different species of human than a lot of other Americans right now and I'm still not sure how to come to grips with that.

Otherwise, SSDD.  Tuesdays are always the worst.  Also, I have discovered that I cannot eat movie popcorn anymore, since the removal of my gallbladder.  I don't even really like it, but I wanted to support my local movie theatre and bought it.  I was miserable for a little over 24 hours, trying to digest it.  I'll be taking my air popped popcorn with me again.

Re: Tuesday

• I'm here. We have had some high pollen alerts and I think I'm really feeling it. I never know if I have a cold or allergies sometimes but lately it seems to be more allergies so hoping the allergy meds I took this morning work. 

I was on PTO last week and yet I still feel tired and like I need a break this week. Luckily work was slow while I was out so I didn't come back to a mess.
  • That really sucks @Casadena; especially being into the second trimester. All the good thoughts to you and your SIL. That’s so so hard. 
  • It’s a dreary, raining Tuesday here but a little cooler so I’ll take it. 

I had my 2-week follow up yesterday and I’m having some complications so I have to go for an ultrasound Thursday morning. My doctor thinks it’s a seroma or hematoma but there’s a small chance it’s a hernia so we need to rule that out. Definitely sucks but makes me feel validated that I felt I wasn’t healing as quickly as I should. I feel like I doubt myself a lot as to what is normal pain and what isn’t. 

I might try and venture out to the grocery store today. Trying to expand my environment a little. 
  • so sorry to hear that @Casadena
  • I'm so sorry @Casadena.   The loss of a child is so hard to bear.   My T&P to your SIL and family. 

Currently doing the work battle.   I need to have a conference w/ our sales team and nicely approach the sales mgr for an account that certain figures quoted by the account are why we are not succeeding.  
  • I’m so sorry @Casadena. Thoughts and hugs to you and your family. 

What a bummer @charlotte989875. Hopefully it is something small and nothing that will need any follow up interventions besides rest. 

Work again today. I have a bunch of work to catch up on. We decided to do a staycation for FIs birthday. We finally managed to snag a pool so that will be nice to have. Now I need to plan out a grocery list since he wants a brunch like I did for FBIL’s birthday. I also need to buy him a birthday present. It’s going to be a busy two weeks but then we get to enjoy his bday and then we head up to mammoth the week after that. 

• Oh that's so sad @casadena.  I'm sorry to hear that.  

I can't with the RNC.  I mean it's just shitting on democracy 4 nights in a row on the international stage (I know, not much different from the last eternity).  Truth means nothing, time is a flat circle, and we're all going down unwillingly with the death cult if Trump steals this election.

I keep having twin feelings of dread and anxiety each day we get closer to voting.  We don't have absentee for any reason here, so I've either got a choose an option where I lie (like I can't get to the polls because of work, I'm taking care of someone that prevents me from going to the polls on election day, etc), which is making me feel some sort of way.  I need to see where and when early voting is happening.  I may choose that instead.  

DH finally went back to work after over a week working from home due to COVID procedures/precautions they're trying out in order to test business continuity.  I don't think I would have minded it as much if I hadn't had DefConn home with me for 5 whole months, but him being here all the time was getting on my nerves.  Just like DefConn, I need to miss him. LOL

I did decide to take DefConn's first week of fall break off.  No idea if we'll get up to anything, but I'm looking forward to just being off work without plans (or because shit is falling apart around me). 

Blerg, Tuesday. SSDD
  • Oh no @charlotte989875.  I hope it's nothing major.  Keep taking it easy, lady.  Just snuggle that little squish.  
  • VarunaTT said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I keep having twin feelings of dread and anxiety each day we get closer to voting.  We don't have absentee for any reason here, so I've either got a choose an option where I lie (like I can't get to the polls because of work, I'm taking care of someone that prevents me from going to the polls on election day, etc), which is making me feel some sort of way.  I need to see where and when early voting is happening.  I may choose that instead.  
    I've been having some terrible experiences with the USPS here through the office and I just can't make myself do voting through the mail.  We usually don't have absentee voting very open for people, but they have changed that w/covid.  I'm thinking of taking the day off for voting and just dealing with my anxiety that day, TBH.  My polling place usually is pretty easy to go through, even with big numbers.

I know people have been saying, just hold on until November, but we have to hold on until January almost February, even if Biden/Harris win.  And while I hold some fundamental beliefs in the institutions of democracy and that they won't let Trump thwart them, I'm terrified anyway because I don't really know.  And even if he does go slinking into the night, lame duck presidents can still do a lot of damage if they want to and I suspect Trump and the Republican Party will want to.
    Oh yes, my existential dread extends to post-election shenanigans if he loses.  Actually, I have an article saved on my phone from the Atlantic about how a commission of former government employees, scholars, journalists, and students played a war game where they teased out how election results could play out in society as whole.  It is...grim...under most scenarios.  The only one that had a glimmer of hope is a Biden landslide.  
  • VarunaTT said:
    mrsconn23 said:

I've been having some terrible experiences with the USPS here through the office and I just can't make myself do voting through the mail.  We usually don't have absentee voting very open for people, but they have changed that w/covid.  I'm thinking of taking the day off for voting and just dealing with my anxiety that day, TBH.  My polling place usually is pretty easy to go through, even with big numbers.

I know people have been saying, just hold on until November, but we have to hold on until January almost February, even if Biden/Harris win.  And while I hold some fundamental beliefs in the institutions of democracy and that they won't let Trump thwart them, I'm terrified anyway because I don't really know.  And even if he does go slinking into the night, lame duck presidents can still do a lot of damage if they want to and I suspect Trump and the Republican Party will want to.
    We have a thing where if you vote absentee by mail, you can go to this website and check your ballot status. In the primary, I completed the ballot and mailed it about 3 weeks before election day, but then two weeks before I could see that my ballot was received and accepted, but I had plenty of time to get to the poll if it got lost or something. I've already ordered my absentee ballot for November. My company is giving us a paid holiday, so I want to volunteer. 

It's a rainy Tuesday here too, but cooler than it has been, so I'm pretty happy about it. I finally got my ish together and took the dog for a nice long walk before work today. I've been missing my morning workouts. I'm kind of annoyed that Fedex lost a chair I ordered. Wayfair is being very cool and replaced the order, but now it's going to be another 4 weeks before it gets here. 
  • @short+sassy, you have articulated exactly how I feel.   It's exhausting.  We have lost every shred of discourse in this country.

Critical thinking? Source checking?  Nuance? They don't know her. 
  • There's a trilogy of books that I've read the first two and the third one is pre-ordered.  Jared Yates Sexton is the author.  It's been fairly eye-opening for me, even with the part of the country I live in.  My local library had both books.  He basically discusses how patriarchal America has it's roots in everything and how this has culminated, through the 90s to now, in Trumperism.  It was hard for me to read, b/c I felt a lot in common with the author.  I really recommend it.

"The People are Going to Rise Like the Waters Upon Your Shore: A Story of American Rage" and "The Man They Wanted Me to Be: Toxic Masculinity and a Crisis of Our Own Making."  The 3rd one is, "American Rule: How a Nation Conquered the World But Failed It's People."

He also has a great twitter feed.

I also feel like I've been screaming since the 90s and we're seeing the culmination in all of that shit during the Clinton presidency coming home to roost.  I think most of the political hounds from Gen X are.  I remember reading a book called, "The Right Woman" and it was basically about the conservative women of the 90s and just being like, WTF?!?!?! are they talking about?!?!?!  It's so disheartening to see.
  • Casenda - That is so sad.  Thoughts and prayers are with your SIL and family.

Varuna - Highlights are one way to look at it!  Cult-like behavior is more like it!

Charlotte - I hope you get some good results and quick recovery!

Took DD to the dentist this morning.  It was her first trip.  She was all good until another child walked in and balked at going back to fix a cavity!  Then a crazy lady came in, with her 10 year old without a mask (mandated for 2 and above in NJ).  First, she didn't call even thought there is a giant STOP message outside to call first.  She complained about having to wait in her car, which everyone is doing here for all doctor appointments - I had to do it for the Vet with Cassie yesterday.  She then demanded an appointment where there wasn't much of a wait time.  Wasn't available til mid-Sept.  Not good enough.  Her daughter HAD to be seen that day.  She didn't like that the response was wait outside until the waiting room has emptied more.  She then got extra Karen and called the one receptionist a bitch before leaving.  The other mothers in the waiting room started to yell back at her for being disrespectful.  She left but sat in her car outside.  The one mother was leaving anyway and started to yell at her again!  The receptionist than apologized to me!  I guess since DD was a new patient, she didn't want us to get the wrong idea that it is like that all the time.  DD was a little apprehensive, but the hygienist was awesome with her.  She did great and I was able to get her to daycare before lunch time!

H will probably head out bowling tonight, he had a terrible commute home yesterday and didn't feel up to going back out.  So it will just be DD and I tonight.
  • @Casadena, I'm so sorry to hear about your SIL and her family.  That's devastating news.  My prayers go out to you all.

I've been stalking the weather, but it looks like my area will be escaping the worst.  I was still worried about heavy rains tomorrow and debating if I wanted to take a vacation day, but the prognosis for that has been improving also, so I'm probably not doing that.

I know weather forecasts are an inexact science, especially with hurricanes afoot.  But it was supposed be pouring rain here since late Sun. night, but there has been nothing but a drizzle here and there.

Yeesh.  I have this one tenant who, I like as a person, but she is exactly the "woe is me" type of person that I usually try to avoid renting to.  She's just someone who likes to complain about everything (not just the property), while not living up to her own responsibilities or doing anything to help herself.

Unfortunately, she and my H don't get along.  I think they are both at fault with that.  So now she communicates to primarily just me, instead of to him.  Which, on the one hand, I told her she could do and I understand it.  But, at the same time...especially when it's in regards to a repair...makes me an unnecessary middle person because I literally just read her texts to him and then send his reply back to her.

So she just texted me about her two "unsecured"/open windows that have a/c window units in them.  And what are we "doing about them with hurricanes" (with an "s") on the way.  Okaayyy.  One hurricane already came and went and the other will maybe have heavy rains for us, like we often have heavy rains.  I guess she's worried there could be leaks?  They've never leaked before, so I don't know what her problem is.

But this was what additionally annoyed me.  After speaking to my H to verify if he was still at the property...she's in the first unit of our renovated duplexes and he's been working on the last unit...I told her that he was still there and would come by and take a look.  Just to make sure they were still sturdy and weather-proofed.

This was her exact reply, "Um, he's not here love. Maybe he went to eat or went to the store or something."  I might just be reading into things, but I can't help but feel that was worded/phrased to imply that my H lied to me about where he was (he did not) and try to get him in hot water with me because she doesn't like him.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm very sorry @Casadena.

Waiting to see what the storms bring. My boss, incredibly, doesn't want to close the office. I can understand that to a degree (we do have tax deadlines coming up) but when a colleague approached her about not coming in tomorrow, she apparently didn't respond well. She did want everyone to come back to the office when the mandatory shelter-in-place order expired.

When I leave work today I'll have to go to the computer repair shop to get an update, because nobody's contacted me thus far. It's been so weird not having my computer.
  • Jen4948 said:
    I'm very sorry @Casadena.

Waiting to see what the storms bring. My boss, incredibly, doesn't want to close the office. I can understand that to a degree (we do have tax deadlines coming up) but when a colleague approached her about not coming in tomorrow, she apparently didn't respond well. She did want everyone to come back to the office when the mandatory shelter-in-place order expired.

When I leave work today I'll have to go to the computer repair shop to get an update, because nobody's contacted me thus far. It's been so weird not having my computer.
    Hang in there!  I'm thinking of you and praying for everyone in the path.  I have been so dismayed to see that H. Laura just kept getting stronger.

Your boss is so wrong and I'm mad for you.  Because I remember that you all have the ability to WFH, for goodness sake!  Work would still get done and no one has to worry about possible flash flooding, while they are going to and fro to the office.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • ei34ei34 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    That's so sad @casadena , sending all the good thoughts and prayers
    @charlotte989875 sending healing vibes...hope the ultrasound goes alright.  Unplanned C's are so rough
    @short+sassy ugh this election...preach!