Wedding Woes

They don't call it "Labor Day" for nothing

Jen4948Jen4948 member
First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
edited September 2020 in Wedding Woes
I hope everyone's having a good weekend and Labor Day!

I didn't get off work today.

This weekend my parents threw a Zoom birthday party for me (really two Zoom parties, since my mom wanted a family reunion that didn't include my own friends at it since it's a milestone birthday coming up in a few days. My friends came to the second party).

Unfortunately, the infant son of one of my cousins has some serious medical problems, and my mom and dad have been "updating" everyone they are connected to on Facebook every time there is a change in the baby's condition. We all hope for the best for the baby, but my mom and dad overshare, and I was worried that this would dominate the conversation at that first party. Funnily, it didn't even come up at that party.

But one of my friends at the second party made what I thought was a casual inquiry about the baby, and my parents then turned it into an extensive, graphically detailed medical discussion about the baby's situation. I think some of my friends tuned out. I sent my dad a Chat message asking him to rein in the technical talk, but he didn't stop. I talked to him after the second party, and he admitted that he "gets carried away" with that kind of talk but he didn't get that it was inappropriate.

I hope the Fantasy Football goes better.

Re: They don't call it "Labor Day" for nothing

• I also didn't get off work today.  It's quiet, so I'm taking advantage to get caught up on things I wouldn't normally have a chance to do.  I don't mind it too much!  Glad that you had some nice Zoom calls, but it is a little unfortunate about how the second one went down.  I hope that the baby is okay!

• kerbohl said:
    I also didn't get off work today.  It's quiet, so I'm taking advantage to get caught up on things I wouldn't normally have a chance to do.  I don't mind it too much!  Glad that you had some nice Zoom calls, but it is a little unfortunate about how the second one went down.  I hope that the baby is okay!
    I guess the baby will be okay, considering that it will have serious medical problems for the rest of its life. I just wish that my parents understood that "How are you/How is..." is not a request for a detailed medical report.
  • Jen4948 said:

This weekend my parents threw a Zoom birthday party for me (really two Zoom parties, since my mom wanted a family reunion that didn't include my own friends at it since it's a milestone birthday coming up in a few days. My friends came to the second party).

Unfortunately, the infant son of one of my cousins has some serious medical problems, and my mom and dad have been "updating" everyone they are connected to on Facebook every time there is a change in the baby's condition. We all hope for the best for the baby, but my mom and dad overshare, and I was worried that this would dominate the conversation at that first party. Funnily, it didn't even come up at that party.

But one of my friends at the second party made what I thought was a casual inquiry about the baby, and my parents then turned it into an extensive, graphically detailed medical discussion about the baby's situation. I think some of my friends tuned out. I sent my dad a Chat message asking him to rein in the technical talk, but he didn't stop. I talked to him after the second party, and he admitted that he "gets carried away" with that kind of talk but he didn't get that it was inappropriate.

Fantasy Football should go much better! So glad you’re joining this year!

Sorry the second call didn’t go so well. My Mom can do this sometimes; I think it’s the former nurse in her, she forgets most people aren’t actually asking for a detailed medical description. I’m really sorry about the baby, that must be really really tough for the family! 
  • Jen4948 said:

Fantasy Football should go much better! So glad you’re joining this year!

Sorry the second call didn’t go so well. My Mom can do this sometimes; I think it’s the former nurse in her, she forgets most people aren’t actually asking for a detailed medical description. I’m really sorry about the baby, that must be really really tough for the family! 
    Thanks Charlotte! I look forward to participating. 

Yes, it's tough on my cousin and his family has a lot of other problems to deal with along with the poor baby. But yeah, I think lots of people, especially people who are either current or former medical professionals or who have lots of medical problems don't understand that "How are you?/is X?" in a personal situation isn't a request for a detailed medical report. My parents are walking medical cases, and somehow Facebook loosened their inhibitions about medical talk.