Wedding Woes

Wednesday or whatever it is

I don't have much to report.  I went out to dinner last night with a friend and absolutely indulged my belly cravings.  Then we watched the first episode of The Boys and I showed him this which if you love rock opera/musicals/unique theatre experiences you should watch too: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhsynTXouIg

and then I went to sleep.  

SSDD otherwise.  Is it Friday yet?

Re: Wednesday or whatever it is

• VarunaTT said:
    Oooo, I did forget, one of the theatres is showing Labyrinth this weekend!!!  I have tickets both Saturday and Sunday b/c well...this is Varuna's obsession since childhood.  It will be my 2nd/3rd time seeing on the big screen!!

I have warned the peeps I'm going with about the singing along...and speaking along...basically I treat it like an interactive movie ala Rocky Horror.  

:smiley::wink:
    So jealous! I remember the first time I saw this I was probably 9, which was probably not super appropriate and was fascinated! Have a great time!!
  • Drinking my coffee outside this morning because it’s the only place the baby wants to nap! But it’s quiet and cool for now so no complaints. 

Not much here, my says are pretty much the same. I’m having a hard time not clothes shopping all the Labor Day sales. I have no idea when I’ll wear normal clothes again but damn, $40 JCrew jeans are hard to pass up. 
  • Lol @ interactive Rocky Horror.  I like Labyrinth too. Haven’t seen it in forever though.  I’ve been thinking of doing a movie night with the new guy I’m seeing (not sure what to call him?) but - not sure about social distancing and stuff. I actually want to take him to this awesome old hollywood decor theatre I like. May be something to do on Friday since we have plans for that night. 

Coffee.  I need all the coffee. 

• I've seen both of those: interactive Rocky Horror and Labyrinth.

Nothing special planned.
  • Not a bad Wednesday so far - typical morning taking care of the animals, and work is good so far.  I'm starting a fitness class tonight, but really delayed.  I won this free gym membership in February, but I was doing a class at my local community center so wasn't going to start taking advantage until March .... and then Covid hit, so ... there goes half the year.  Hopefully I can make full use of it for the next five months!  Though I'm only doing online classes right now.  (I could have been doing online classes for a while, but wasn't motivated this summer)

• VarunaTT said:
    Oooo, I did forget, one of the theatres is showing Labyrinth this weekend!!!  I have tickets both Saturday and Sunday b/c well...this is Varuna's obsession since childhood.  It will be my 2nd/3rd time seeing on the big screen!!

I have warned the peeps I'm going with about the singing along...and speaking along...basically I treat it like an interactive movie ala Rocky Horror.  

:smiley::wink:
    I haven't watched that in ages!  The first time I saw it was with now hubby - he was flabbergasted that I, at the age of 24, had never seen that movie.  I would love to see it in theaters!  Though I would also like to see LOTR again in theaters .... so many good movies.

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2020
    @VarunaTT, David Bowie in the Labyrinth was kinda my first sexual awakening, lol.  I was 12 when it came out.  Before that movie, I'd had thoughts like "boys are cute".  But he was my first, "Wow, men can be really sexy," thought.  Now I want to rewatch it!  I wonder what I would think of it now.  Enjoy watching it!  I bet if you start singing, others will join you.

Nothing too much going on today.  It looks like my Tues. evening meeting is going to become a regular thing.  I need to talk to the big boss about that.  I don't necessarily mind, but I don't think he's going to like it because he will either need to pay me OT or shuffle my hours around a little.

In my perfect world, I would arrange to leave 1-2 hours early on Fri.  And, with Fridays only being half days for me anyway, I would take vacation time for the remaining 2-3 hours and take a LOT of Fridays off, lol.  We'll see.  I don't think my boss would mind a schedule like that, especially since I'm using some vacation hours to take Fridays off.  But, overall, the company is really touchy about Fridays.

We have a choice on the schedules we work.  But the one choice that most people want, but has been a hard "no" by the company is a "4 10's and Fridays off" schedule.  That kind of schedule is becoming more popular in our industry (engineering) and they've missed out on potential employees because we don't offer that, so candidates took job offers from companies that did.

As an aside, engineering can be really feast or famine.  When times are good, it's hard for companies to find engineers because there aren't enough.  And that's where having a 4 10's schedule can be an extra attraction.  But when times are hard, it's tough to be an engineer (I'm not one) because everyone is laying off and no one is hiring.  The oil and gas industry isn't the only economic pony that NOLA has in its stable, but it's a big one especially for engineering.  And oil/gas does a lot of falling and rising over the years.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'm in the office today and it feels weird. There was a meeting here so several other coworkers around. There are 2-3 who are here most days but other than that it is usually just someone popping in for a meeting. I needed to pick up some documents and scan stuff but our scanning system isn't working. 

I think I mentioned on here I got a small promotion finally. Our paycheck tomorrow should be the first one with it in effect but I just looked at my paystub and no change in pay. Now to reach out to HR to find out what it was supposed to include because I was never actually told any of it, just title change. 
  • @kvruns I'm sorry to hear about the paycheck. I hope you can get it straightened out, but congratulations on your promotion.
  • I think today is my day to deal with ethics. One of my coworkers just pinged me to ask if I could help her modify some customer stuff on a form. Yeah, it's obviously a typo on the customer's part, but no I'm not going to "fix" it. She can be mad if she wants, I'm kinda mad she even asked. 

This second is not as clear, so WWYD? I ordered a piece of furniture back in late July/early August. It was originally supposed to arrive around August 5. It showed shipped, but FedEx kept changing the status and then just had it "pending" forever. I reached out to FedEx, and after several calls and getting the runaround, they finally told me they couldn't do anything and to contact the shipper. I did, which involved another couple of calls, but they finally shipped a replacement and filed a lost item for the original. FedEx screwed around again, but it finally came last Thursday. Yay! And now onto the problem, yesterday a second one showed up. FedEx doesn't knock or anything, so I didn't get a chance to refuse. It's sitting unopened in my garage. If it were a pair of shoes, I would call the vendor or take it to the local store. My concern is that if I do call, they're going to want me to ship it back at my expense, or at the least take it somewhere to ship back. (It's heavy and isn't going to fit in my car.) Is it unethical to just say nothing and wait to see if they call me? 
  • @short+sassy I am going to forgive your terrible, Terrible, TERRIBLE faux pas and remind you that is the magnificent, wonderful, missed David Bowie in Labyrinth (imagine wink emoji).  I'm pretty sure for GenX especially, David Bowie as Jareth was a lot of people's sexual awakening.  I've told people before that David Bowie made me bi, b/c of his gender fluidity in that and everything else.  I adore him and all of his music.  The number of texts I woke up to the day he died was both sweet and horrible.  I still haven't rewatched the Lazurus video and I haven't been able to listen to Blackstar again yet.

I'm actually doing that 10 day crush of fictional characters on FB and Jareth was my 1st listing and most of my friends were like, Yeah, everyone knows, Varuna!!!  
    :smiley:

• Took the kiddo to a doc appt, she's got some ongoing mild shit.
    And then tried to see if I could get her in to her neurologist sooner and..nope, midNovember so we have to see how much migraine puking happens before then.

I'm tired and grumpy and my psyche is refusing to work on my resume 'cuz I don't wanna
    And they are distance learning music--recorder practice. which sounds as LOVELY as you'd expect :wink:

My back is acting up, so I am trying to be mellow and not murder my child who is actin QUITE the melodramatic infuriating fool today.

But that's the bitching for today. I'm headed to work soon to try to make a difference int he world I guess

• VarunaTT said:
    @short+sassy I am going to forgive your terrible, Terrible, TERRIBLE faux pas and remind you that is the magnificent, wonderful, missed David Bowie in Labyrinth (imagine wink emoji).  I'm pretty sure for GenX especially, David Bowie as Jareth was a lot of people's sexual awakening.  I've told people before that David Bowie made me bi, b/c of his gender fluidity in that and everything else.  I adore him and all of his music.  The number of texts I woke up to the day he died was both sweet and horrible.  I still haven't rewatched the Lazurus video and I haven't been able to listen to Blackstar again yet.

I'm actually doing that 10 day crush of fictional characters on FB and Jareth was my 1st listing and most of my friends were like, Yeah, everyone knows, Varuna!!!  
    :smiley:

OMG, such a horrible faux pas, smh!  I have fixed it now.  Billy Idol isn't bad looking either.  But David Bowie is way, way hotter.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • GBCK said:
    Took the kiddo to a doc appt, she's got some ongoing mild shit.
    And then tried to see if I could get her in to her neurologist sooner and..nope, midNovember so we have to see how much migraine puking happens before then.

I'm tired and grumpy and my psyche is refusing to work on my resume 'cuz I don't wanna
    And they are distance learning music--recorder practice. which sounds as LOVELY as you'd expect :wink:

My back is acting up, so I am trying to be mellow and not murder my child who is actin QUITE the melodramatic infuriating fool today.

But that's the bitching for today. I'm headed to work soon to try to make a difference int he world I guess

That’s insane! Is the wait always that long??
  • @MyNameIsNot Good ethical dilemna!  My knee-jerk reaction is to call the company, but at the same time, it was FedEx that made the mistake.  So then you'd have to call FedEx and tell them they delivered a package by mistake, at which point, what are they going to do?  Would they make a whole trip just to pick it up, and then ship it back?  I somehow doubt it.  And they must have something in place to pay back the original company in case of a lost shipment, so that might have already gone through.  I don't think it would be unethical to sit and wait to see if the company contacts you about it.  I wouldn't wait too long though, just because it would drive me nuts to have a big piece of furniture in my way.

• So weekend was good.

Friday - went to dinner with a friend. And we ate so much filling food, we wandered Walmart a bit. Helped because she's in the realm of having kid(s) soon, so i was showing her things. Her fiance things you have to buy high end for everything, but I was showing her things that if you buy new, they don't have to be expensive. Also a lot of thrifting and consignment stuff.

Saturday - morning was pretty lowkey in comparison to the rest of the day. BIL got married!
    M went to pick him up and helped out with stuff while BabyKitten and I stayed home. She napped {ish} while I watched the ceremony virtually.
    I ordered dinner because I had zero idea what to make. She'd had pasta night before so I didn't want to do that.
    5min after we finished eating, M showed up to get us for the driveby reception.

BabyKitten went hard on the dance off with BIL lmao!

We only stayed for an hour and I wish I had the videos. SIL's mother took a video of her holding her hips and shaking her bum.
    Guys .... toddlers are great entertainment ;)

FIL pisses me off. He left just as M was gonna get us. I know he's not in great health but I just want a little fucking effort. He could have followed M to our place and said hello from the car.

Sunday - went for brunch at MIL and SFIL and luckily it was nice out so we could eat outside. Luckily they still have BabyKitten's highchair, so we set her up out there.
    She basically crashed when we got home, which was good because so did M and I lol
    My aunt stopped by with a card and gift for me :)

Monday - my actual bday. Fun fact I was born on labour day ;)
    For reference I am 33 now lol
    BabyKitten was really quiet, just enjoying play time in crib. M and I slept until 10am :O 
    We had breakfast - BabyKitten is mixed vibe on crepes, and I half wonder if I should have gotten her waffles ...
    Before nap, my mum came over with lemon bars and cards - from her and my granny.

Planned on playing Kingdom Hearts over nap, but my mum stuck around for awhile after. M had errands to do so I sent him to get my free Starbucks lol

We made dinner with rigatoni {aka large penne pasta lol} It turned out really good but the friggin pasta caked to our pot and we can't just toss in dishwasher now :( I scrubbed yesterday but resoaked. I'm gonna get M to elbow grease scrub it.

Just note, eventually she was bound to look like me

• @MissKittyDanger, happy late birthday!  BabyKitten is SO cute.  I love the little dancing in her pretty dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger, happy late birthday!  BabyKitten is SO cute.  I love the little dancing in her pretty dress.
    she is a dancing QUEEN!! "Old Town Road" or "Stayin Alive" are her go to dance songs lmao She will bring back disco single handed

• That’s insane! Is the wait always that long??

They're still catching up on Covid-delays (since non-urgent shit got cancelled), but, it's not easy to get in. They hemorrhage good docs (they're my neuro too) because they're affiliated w/ the university and folks rotate out and never come back.

But there's a shortage of pediatric neurologists though.  I've got a number for someone else to call (who may or may not see new patients), because I'm game for a 2nd opinion right now too.
  • Varuna - I haven't seen Labryinth in so long!  Fingers crossed you get the promotion full time and managing paralegal goes bye-bye.

MNIN - I would probably not attempt the return.  You had to jump through hoops just for your replacement.  

MKD - Happy belated birthday!

Its a cloudy and gloomy day here today, but I am having some friends over after work for a socially distance outdoor BBQ.  We haven't gotten together since Christmas time.  I have lots to do and I'm taking advantage of the slow work day.  I am also starting to work through my second batch of tomato sauce.  I started it on Monday and today I processed it into the sauce.  Friday I will get it canned.
  • MNIN, I would advise them that you received the shipment and that they're welcome to come get it.   I cannot imagine that they'd ask you to do anything at your expense.   When I received a 2nd shipment from J.Crew last year that just doubled what I requested they sent me a call tag and I just had to tape it to the box and then I logged on for UPS to come get it.   If you haven't opened the box that should make it even simpler.   

• This annoyance has reared its ugly head again.  Some of you may remember, but I had minor dental work done a few weeks ago.  The billing person asked if I wanted nitrous oxide.  I said I did.  But they never gave it to me.  Fine, whatever, I survived.  I wasn't that upset about it, but then they charged me for it.

I called the next day when I saw it on my receipt.  There was a little bit of a kerfluffle because the assistant said she had given it to me.  Which, at best, is very mistaken.  At worst, is an outright lie.  I explained the assistant never even came back in the room until after the doctor had given me the injections to numb my gums and she didn't give it to me then either.

The billing person refused to refund back my credit card for that portion.  But did agree that, after the procedure went through my insurance, they would either give me a credit for their clinic or send me a check.  I said that was fine because I did have a follow-up appointment anyway.  Though, really, they should have just credited back my card right away because that was charging me for something I didn't receive.

So they called me earlier to change my appointment day and inform me I still had a $58 balance for the prior visit and could I pay that.  So, first off, I don't know why I would still have a balance and would want to speak to my insurance company about that anyway.  Because that sounds insanely high for a total bill that was less than $300.  I already paid for half of the procedure during my visit, which is what I'm responsible for with my insurance.  But I also asked, "Does that still include the $39 nitrous oxide charge that was supposed to be taken off my bill?"

Yes, it does.  Mmm...hmmm.  And the same billing person I spoke to last time actually had the audacity to say, "Oh yes, wasn't that you said the nitrous oxide didn't work for you so you wanted it taken off your bill?"  My reply, "No.  I absolutely did not say that.  I said I did not receive it AT ALL.  Because I know I didn't."  I then repeated back to her that she'd already told me it would be a credit on my account with them.

Except now she was changing her tune!  Now she says she needs to speak to the office manager about that and will call me back.  I told her that was fine and I'll pay what I legitimately owe, when I speak to her again.  But I needed to see a correct, itemized bill.  Including  what my insurance paid and what they didn't, because that sounds wrong also.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger, happy belated birthday!