Wedding Woes

Noise canceling headphones and Poo-Pourri?

Dear Prudence,

I recently moved into a tiny studio apartment with my partner. (We live in an expensive city and will only be here for a few months, as we are planning to move elsewhere after the pandemic abates.) I’ve always had a weak stomach, and I get easily grossed out by the noises and smells of even typical restroom use. My partner has a chronic illness that means they have to use the restroom frequently and for long periods of time. We are both working from home together, all day, every day. I can’t work elsewhere due to the pandemic, and I’ve tried to work outside, but logistical issues—like weather and spotty Wi-Fi—make this an untenable long-term solution. Do you have any recommendations for what else we can do to address this issue? I love my partner a lot, but hearing them use the restroom all day is making me feel less attracted to them, which I hate.

—Uncomfortably Eavesdropping

Re: Noise canceling headphones and Poo-Pourri?

• white noise machine in the bathroom too?     Or read this book: https://www.amazon.com/Everyone-Turtleback-School-Library-Binding/dp/0613685725
  • Headphones and poo-pouri is right. 

There’s not many other options in a studio. And pray you can move soon. 
  • Everybody poops   If you’re struggling with normal daily life, get professional help. 
  • I assume LW knew about partners medical concerns and still chose to live in a studio together (says they moved recently, so assuming post-COVID).  I agree with STARMOON that this needs bigger addressing than just headphones and poo-pourri (although that would also help).
  • I mean, I get it to an extent. I have a small house and can hear H loud and clear when he's in the bathroom upstairs. If I had to listen to that all day, I'd probably be looking for a way to tune it out as well. Yeah, everybody poops but it doesn't mean I want to listen to and smell it all day long. But the best LW can do is white noise and scented candles/room sprays until they can move to a bigger space. 
  • LW needs "poo-purri" at least. Febreeze small space thing also
    I'm bad with bathroom scents also. It triggers a gag reflex.
    I know in public bathrooms I can barely handle hearing other people but public bathrooms gross me out, so I honestly couldn't tell you if it would be an issue like LW
    I know in public bathrooms I can barely handle hearing other people but public bathrooms gross me out, so I honestly couldn't tell you if it would be an issue like LW
    Maybe its just me, but I think its weird when people are on their cell phone while using the bathroom.  I often hear that in public restrooms.

My other public restroom pet peeve is when loud talkers don't realize how EXTRA loud they are in the enclosed space of a restroom.  Where their annoying voice just bounces off all the hard surfaces.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited September 2020
    LW needs "poo-purri" at least. Febreeze small space thing also
    Maybe its just me, but I think its weird when people are on their cell phone while using the bathroom.  I often hear that in public restrooms.

My other public restroom pet peeve is when loud talkers don't realize how EXTRA loud they are in the enclosed space of a restroom.  Where their annoying voice just bounces off all the hard surfaces.
    These both remind me of a funny DefConn story.  When he was 4, we went to the Outer Banks.  On the way home, DH got really sick with what turned out to be a bad ear infection (from too much water in his ear from diving into waves) and I ended up having to drive a good portion of the way home. This was the first long road trip we'd taken since DefConn was PT'd and he was very extra about how he had to 'go NOW'...like a dozen times.  (side note: on our way in, we were in terrible traffic so he learned to pee in a gatorade bottle...LOL)  We're in KY, about and hour and a half from home and he hastogonow.  So we stop in at this rest stop and as soon as we get into the women's restroom, a foul odor assaults us.  To this day, I can't even place what the smell was...it was poop mixed with a foul chemical odor or something. 

At 4, DefConn's a loud talker.  And he's also a toilet talker.  Loves to carry on with you while he's doing his business.  So he's chattering away and starts gagging every 2nd or 3rd word.  I'm also trying to hold my gags/cover my nose.  My eyes are watering.  All of a sudden he bursts out with,  "WHY *gag* DOES IT *gag* SMELL SO BAD *gag* IN HERE?!" *more gagging* 

I start laughing, gagging, and then hicupping. I heard two or three people laughing too. 

I don't understand this either and it drives me batty.

I work with a woman who puts on her headset and chats on the toilet for about 20 minutes everyday after lunch. I never knew if she was actually going or just hiding in the bathroom to not take a personal call at her desk, but it was so obnoxious. That bathroom got fairly crowded, so I'm sure whoever was on the other end heard toilets flushing in the background.

I'm so glad I'm WFH. 

Guilty of being on my phone in the bathroom. I have personal reasons for it {ie; stomach issues}, but I also silence my phone if I do.
    Even at home I do this

Guilty of being on my phone in the bathroom. I have personal reasons for it {ie; stomach issues}, but I also silence my phone if I do.
    Even at home I do this
    Oh no!  I meant talking to someone on their cell phone while using the bathroom.  I don't think it's weird if people are on their cell phone to text or use the Internet.

But if you talk to people also, I'll try not to judge, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Even at home I do this
    Oh no!  I meant talking to someone on their cell phone while using the bathroom.  I don't think it's weird if people are on their cell phone to text or use the Internet.

But if you talk to people also, I'll try not to judge, lol.
    Oh!! Lol! I think I have honestly taken a call but been like "yeh can I call you back :\ " because the echo weirds me out