Wedding Woes

Friday Chat post

VarunaTTVarunaTT member
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
edited September 2020 in Wedding Woes
It felt weird and disrespectful to be talking about the upcoming weekend and other stuffs in the 9/11 post, so I made a new one to separate the subjects, if that's okay @kvruns .

I did get the promotion!  And at my asking price point!  And I don't report to suck managing paralegal anymore!!!  I'm excited about the new position just b/c while the management team does have specifics in mind, it's also going to be created from the ground up.  And TWO showings of Labyrinth this weekend!  Whoot!

I needed a win. Fuck you, 2020.

Re: Friday Chat post

• You needed & deserved all of that @VarunaTT!!!
  • Not much here today, I had an allergic reaction to something last night (like the antibiotics) so I’m taking it easy and monitoring how I feel. 

H is going to pick up a new bathroom vanity because who doesn’t love home projects with a newborn? The sink was backed up in our old one and we found a bunch of broken pieces so rather than fix them we’re just replacing it. I’m excited we’ll finally have a vanity instead of an old pedestal sink that’s hard to clean and has no storage! 
  • Congrats @VarunaTT

No real plans for the weekend, aside from getting my hair done on Saturday morning. I think after work today I'm going to talk a long walk along the river. 
  • So happy for you @VarunaTT.  Get out and CELEBRATE! You did need a win in 2020.
    @charlotte989875, I went from pedestal sink to vanity 3 years ago and it’s as life changing as you’d think it would be.  More storage room is a major plus!

Lost: my motivation to get up and work out.  And/or workout after work.  And/or workout before bed. When I was single, it was SO easy for me to be on schedule and do this.  But now, new guy and I talk almost every night into the wee hours (sometimes even 2 am!) and I just can’t make myself get up and do it.  And I need to.  I’m already gaining weight.  I may have to force myself to do it at 5 on days he doesn’t come over.  That way I can sleep in still and get it done before our nightly calls. dating is hard.  My ex was NOT a talker, so we never did this kinda phone time.
    This is what I’m hoping for! 

Good for you on the dating though! It’s got to be so so tough, but good for you. Talking on the phone reminds me of dating on high school when that’s all you could do. H is also not a talker (or a phone user) so that would make me feel all kinds of nostalgic. 
  • Oh @charlotte989875, he's just so precious.  I LOVE newborns with chubby cheeks and no eyebrows. His little lips are just perfect.  ((want to squish!))
  • Yes @mrsconn23 took the words right outta my mouth with all that cuteness overload!charlotte989875 said:
    Good for you on the dating though! It’s got to be so so tough, but good for you. Talking on the phone reminds me of dating on high school when that’s all you could do. H is also not a talker (or a phone user) so that would make me feel all kinds of nostalgic. 
    Omg I really do feel like a high schooler.  ‘Cept I didn’t have any boyfriends in highschool so I never lived it back then. I went to visit my parents last weekend and when they went to bed, M and I would talk for a few hours.  I felt like the living room would echo and it’s a ranch style house so I asked them when they woke up “did my giggling like a school girl keep you guys up?”

I’m 41. 
    I love this for you so much!! 
  • Yes @mrsconn23 took the words right outta my mouth with all that cuteness overload!charlotte989875 said:
    Omg I really do feel like a high schooler.  ‘Cept I didn’t have any boyfriends in highschool so I never lived it back then. I went to visit my parents last weekend and when they went to bed, M and I would talk for a few hours.  I felt like the living room would echo and it’s a ranch style house so I asked them when they woke up “did my giggling like a school girl keep you guys up?”

I’m 41. 
    that's adorable!
  • VarunaTT said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Oh @charlotte989875, he's just so precious.  I LOVE newborns with chubby cheeks and no eyebrows. His little lips are just perfect.  ((want to squish!))
    This sent me on a weird journey on Google, b/c I googled, "why are babies born without eyebrows".  But then google autofilled "...without kneecaps" and I had to follow that up.  And now I know 16 odd facts about babies including they have 300 bones, no kneecaps (just cartilage that hardens), no tears until 3 months old, and they can breathe/swallow at the same time like fish, but then we lose that ability and WTF, that could've really been handy, evolution!!!!
    Right, we have an useless appendix but we lose this handy skill! 
  • congrats @VarunaTT that is wonderful news! Celebrate!
  • @charlotte989875 I'd get nothing done if I had that little nugget too.   You're reminding me of my days with Chiquito 6 years ago.   He's a late August baby and was just a football during those days.

I'm NEEDING this weekend - the stress level of work this week has been huge.

Dad's home as of last week.  He has major issues speaking and finding the right words.   He needs twice weekly speech therapy and mom now can't leave him home alone.

I am TRYING to convince my mom to sell the house and move here.   They can't live in a cape with two sets of stairs that they also now can't maintain and he's aging SO FAST.  I'll also need to work to get a meeting with an elder care attorney quickly.   
  • I'm really confused on the eyebrows thing - I just looked back at pictures of Baby B and he appears to have light eyebrows. I'd honestly never thought about it before or paid attention one way or the other
  • kvruns said:
    I'm really confused on the eyebrows thing - I just looked back at pictures of Baby B and he appears to have light eyebrows. I'd honestly never thought about it before or paid attention one way or the other
    DefConn had none or they were so thin, light, and sparse that you couldn't see them. I remember him making me laugh when he had hiccups as a newborn because the no eyebrows definitely were highlighted.  LOL 
  • @VarunaTT, that's awesome!  Congrats!  I hope this really improves your job for you.

@charlotte989875, enjoy the new bathroom vanity!  I think bathroom vanities are the best.  There is never enough storage in my life, so they make a good use of space that would otherwise be wasted.  With all that said, unfortunately, I have a pedestal sink in my bathroom.  We only have one bathroom and it is the tiniest ever.  Even a small vanity would make it feel cramped even more.  Good luck with your allergies, I hope you can figure out what caused it.

My usual half-day Friday, thank goodness!  I've been exhausted all week and am planning to take a nap this afternoon.  Then finally getting to sleep in on Saturday.  I'm also taking a vacation day on Monday.  I'm going to do a lot of relaxing and some decluttering.  We heard from our new tenant (the charity for elderly people) that she wants to start the lease on Sept. 15th.  Woo hoo!  We already have her deposit, but now that means we will get the first month's rent in a few days. 

After work, I'm picking up lunch that's a restaurant month special.  The main entrée is a lobster roll!!!!!  Nobody sells lobster rolls out here, so it's extra exciting, lol.  I don't think this restaurant sells them year round, though I will ask about that.  It's $20 for two courses.  My first course will be a cochon de lait (smoked pig) meat pie and then the lobster roll for my second course.  Cochon de lait and a lobster roll, in one relatively low cost meal...yes, please!  They are both some of my favorite dishes.

For those of you who have been to Hawaii, cochon de lait tastes like kalua pig.  The real Cajun way to prepare it is to bury the pig in the ground over hot coals for a few days, just like they do in Hawaii.  But restaurants and/or their suppliers imitate that taste with smoking.  Not quite as good as the real thing, but still delicious!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Jstump2Jstump2 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper
    edited September 2020
    charlotte989875 when I was on Maternity leave H worked on a mini-demo/remodel in our kitchen. I was amazed what my daughter slept through power tools and all, lol. Also storage is awesome and so needed with all the kids bathtoys and stuff.

Tomorrow we have the first swim lesson for my older daughter! I was on the wait list because it was full (only 5 kids per class) but got a call earlier this week that they had an opening! Hoping that goes well, They sent me their covid guidelines and looks like they are taking good precautions.

Sunday we are getting family pictures taken by my friend in a nearby sunflower field! I am excited as we haven't gotten any nice family photos since my second was born and she is almost 2!
  • @charlotte989875 💗💗💗 what a beautiful baby!
    @VarunaTT Congratulations!
    @banana468 ((hugs)) I hope your parents will agree to move soon. 

SSDD here. I did some tidying/organizing today to get ready for cleaners tomorrow. The club I ride at is going to the first horse show of the season tomorrow so I might try to take DS there if I can. (I am not sure they are allowing spectators.) Other than that, I just want to sew and listen to podcasts. 🤷
  • I had to check a baby picture of myself and yup, I had visible dark eyebrows. I was also born with a TON of hair. Like fully black full head of hair. Probably more than I have now lol. And my hair is no longer black. 

Congratulations!! @VarunaTT

He’s so precious @charlotte989875

*hugs* @banana468

@CharmedPam does new guy live close? Like could you meet up for long walks and talk? 

Jury is still out on our trip and I’m in a funk about it. Everything is still apocalyptic here. Last night the wind cleared our usual hike to halfway decent air quality, so we did that. We could see the flames from our hike though which was really sad. 

I got to work an hour early today so I can leave at 4. I think my favorite Indian food place is struggling because they sent out a 15% off coupon, which they’ve never done before. So after I hit up Costco I’m going to order food to go. Bonus it means I won’t have to do any cooking the next two days. 

• VarunaTT said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    Oh @charlotte989875, he's just so precious.  I LOVE newborns with chubby cheeks and no eyebrows. His little lips are just perfect.  ((want to squish!))
    This sent me on a weird journey on Google, b/c I googled, "why are babies born without eyebrows".  But then google autofilled "...without kneecaps" and I had to follow that up.  And now I know 16 odd facts about babies including they have 300 bones, no kneecaps (just cartilage that hardens), no tears until 3 months old, and they can breathe/swallow at the same time like fish, but then we lose that ability and WTF, that could've really been handy, evolution!!!!
    I was watching a medical drama show where doing x-rays for other stuff, the person discovered they only had one kidney.

I'm thinking "Oh wow, that's crazy!  It must be so rare."  But I found out from Google, it's NOT!  About 1 in 750 people are born without one of their kidneys.  usually it is the left one that is missing.  It's also more common for men than women.  I continued down the rabbit hole when I got to a forum where all these one-kidneyed people were talking about how old they were when they found out and what led to them finding out about it.

Having only one kidney, as long as its healthy, really doesn't have much noticeable effect on people.  So it isn't unusual for people to go their whole lives and never even know.  One guy from the comments was 68 years old when he found out.  He had x-rays done for some unrelated medical procedure and they asked him if he knew he only had one kidney.  He did not and was pretty surprised!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    mrsconn23 said:
    I was watching a medical drama show where doing x-rays for other stuff, the person discovered they only had one kidney.

I'm thinking "Oh wow, that's crazy!  It must be so rare."  But I found out from Google, it's NOT!  About 1 in 750 people are born without one of their kidneys.  usually it is the left one that is missing.  It's also more common for men than women.  I continued down the rabbit hole when I got to a forum where all these one-kidneyed people were talking about how old they were when they found out and what led to them finding out about it.

Having only one kidney, as long as its healthy, really doesn't have much noticeable effect on people.  So it isn't unusual for people to go their whole lives and never even know.  One guy from the comments was 68 years old when he found out.  He had x-rays done for some unrelated medical procedure and they asked him if he knew he only had one kidney.  He did not and was pretty surprised!
    *raises hand* I only have one kidney. It’s from a genetic defect. Unfortunately it did cause a lot of problems when I was younger and I had to have some reconstructive surgery.  But I’m okay now. I’m just very careful to hydrate well and not over stress it. Because there’s no backup plan for me beyond dialysis or a Hail Mary transplant and science is dead with this administration so stem cell regrowth is not looking promising. Maybe working in the medical field has made me paranoid but I’ve seen SO many people end up with kidney damage from unrelated issues and end up on dialysis that I’m terrified of losing the one I have. 

• @VarunaTT Congrats! Well deserved :)

@charlotte989875 renos even with kid is older is not easy lmao!! We got our bathtub redone when BabyKitten was 7m and I didn't wanna chance anything, so I kept her in living room and snuggled her for a nap.
    Now we do things in pieces. Either someone babysits or we do it during the 2hr chunk of time she naps lol

So a few mixed things.
    My finger hurts because of yesterday still, but it's healing well. I've opened it up again a few times, so I had to bandage. It's basically the tip so it's constantly getting hit.

Our drawer freezer has been acting up lately and I did some googling. Might be a fix but unfortunately it's a known issue. Short version we THINK there was ice build up that has caused the seal to mess up. Might be a leak but idk. There was snow everywhere.
    This morning I went to put BabyKitten's teether back in the freezer {we give her one to munch to fall asleep. Sometimes she uses it, sometimes not} and noticed things were not feeling .... as frozen? Idk.
    I sent M a link for a new fridge with a door instead of a drawer. I like freezer at the bottom because I'm short so it's easier to sort and see what's there.

We got our mortgage renewal papers last night. We owe less on our house that we thought, so that definitely puts us in a better place when we think about moving. We are only signing a 3yr renewal because we may move by then - but with new payments it will put us in a hugely better spot.
    We aren't increasing our search price, but it gives us more equity to drop the mortgage price more than anticipated.
    On top of that, M's loan has to be either paid before or with the equity - so even if it wasn't paid off in the 3yrs {it will be} the equity we'll have will be higher.
    I told M that even if the price difference between how much we sell for, I wanna use like 80% for down payment but keep a portion if we need to buy appliances or do anything.
    We'll know before we buy obv

I also look cute today. I got leopard shoes from Old Navy and my mask matches. :) 
  • Wow, I'm learning so many random facts from this thread today!  I knew about the baby kneecaps, but no idea about breathing and swallowing abilities!  Craziness.

Tomorrow is hubby's birthday.  He does not want to celebrate - mostly he doesn't want to risk having anyone come over and not socially distance, and he is also stressed with school work, and he might be a little bummed about getting older.  He also doesn't like cake ... so I bought him cookies and a dessert pizza, and that's how we are celebrating.  

I'll probably do yard work this weekend.  I haven't been as productive in my evenings as I would like lately, so all my to-do's are getting pushed to the weekends.

• @VarunaTT Hooray!  Congrats!!  Very exciting news for you.  I hope you find a way to celebrate this weekend!

• YAAAAAAAYYY @VarunaTT - so happy for you. 
    @charlotte989875 definitely snuggle the crap out of that baby while you can :)  G is almost 9 months and unless he's asleep, he will no longer let us snuggle.  Love the smushy cheekers!
    @banana468 enjoy your weekend - hopefully your parents will consider downsizing and moving closer, i'm sure it's really hard for all of you. 

The babe had pretty thick dark hair when he was born and lost it all *cry face* around 2 months.  For awhile it was a thick patch on the nape of his neck and the rest of his tiny head was bald, lol, plus his eyebrows were coming at that time - super funny!  He's dark blonde now and it's getting thick again. 

I'm at the office today getting a few things done and printed.  then running a few errands.  It's nice to be in jeans and out of the house!  

IL's are coming over tomorrow to hang with the baby while H and I finally get some shit done around the house.  Sunday will be long walks and lounging in front of the football game.  Very excited for some send of normalcy (football) although I miss Big10 college more than I expected!