Wedding Woes

Friday Chat post

Re: Friday Chat post

• short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2020
    @levioosa, it's just unreal how many fires are going on in CA and OR right now!  It's devastating and I feel bad for you all.  I hope it doesn't put you all or your work in danger.  But I know it's still awful to be close enough for there to be ashes.  Plus, the air quality becomes terrible.

In the terrible fires they had two years ago in and around Paradise, my stepfather has family who lives around there.  One of them is a teacher.  School was in session when the fire department came and said everyone needed to evacuate immediately.  The fires came on so fast there wasn't even time for most parents to come pick up their kids, plus a lot of the roads were blocked.  Teachers and faculty were just cramming their cars with children for everyone to drive about 45 minutes away to the next largest city that was out of the danger zone.  Of course, many communication lines were down, so parents were understandably freaking out because they didn't know if their child had gotten out safely or where they were.  Total chaos!  But at least all the staff and the children made it out safely.

For a little bit of humor amongst tragedy.  One of their friends had their car in the shop.  So the wife had driven her H to work (different, much further away city) with their other car.  She was only wearing pajamas.  She turns around to go back home but, when she gets to the main road going up the mountain, it was now closed because of the fires.  She's worried, but also has a bit of a laugh when it dawns on her that she is going to need to go to store...wearing her pajamas...to go buy some real clothes for the day (it actually turned out to be many days before they could go back home).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is something called circular breathing which is as close to the infant swallowing and breathing that we have as adults. It’s very hard to master. For awhile I could do it but now I’ve forgotten how and trying to relearn it has been unsuccessful. 

• @VarunaTT Every so often that happens. I think it was mostly August but a bit of July too, I was not paying attention and our grocery budget sky rocketed! Everything was stuff that we'd eat but it made me very much realize I was not paying attention enough. My savings took a severe hit. Plus BabyKitten home for 2 weeks we had to think of her lunches {which are very simple of crackers, fruits, cottage cheese, deli meat and sometimes something else like granola}

What are your subscriptions?
  • I don't have my license yet, but in future planning, I'm anticipating getting another car.
    New-Used and a New-New are around the same price.

We've had both, but what's the pro/cons of either if they are LITERALLY same price?
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2020
    @MissKittyDanger

The things I could shift off to the card for a one payment thing; Netflix, Gym, Disney Plus, Healthy Wage (this will end in another 6 months), Movie Cub, Political Contribution (will end in November), EMeals, Ting (phone), and Rower Payment (will end in 1 year).  Also, I just think that's it from analyzing my most recent 2 months of bank statements.  I'm not really sure that's totally it.  And I dislike attaching apps to my bank accounts, so I don't want an outside analysis.  

Oh, I would say the main difference I would look at for a New Used/New New around the same price is retention of value for the vehicle.  For example, I did pay close to full price for my year old Subaru (at the time), but my Subaru has maintained it's value and since I have low mileage, I am actually a bit ahead on my car loan vs. vehicle value, so I don't carry additional gap insurance or worry about being upside down.
  • Congratulations @VarunaTT!!  You so deserve this!

It's been a super busy short week at work.  All meetings, emails compressed into four days instead of five.  The weather turned from the 70s to the 40 & 50s so I've been hibernating LOL.  I really like autumn but have a hard time transitioning from sandals to socks and shoes.

Saturday night we are planning to go out for our anniversary.  We've had reservations and changed them 3 times so hoping this time we can actually go.  Otherwise not much else planned.
  • I don't have my license yet, but in future planning, I'm anticipating getting another car.

We've had both, but what's the pro/cons of either if they are LITERALLY same price?
    It can be a difference in financing - at least in the states can often get lower interest rates on new cars vs used cars. My last two cars have been brand new. I'd planned last time to look for a slightly used car but honestly it wasn't a big price difference for the brand new car and it just made more sense. I know a lot of people are anti brand new but I dont like to overpay for used so it depends on what you're looking for
  • @VarunaTT I mean at least 2 subs will be gone shortly, so that should clear things up. Disney + idk if you do it, but I did a yearly payment. Saves at least 1 month of payments in comparison. I also find one payment vs many are easier.

The New-Used I saw was Nissan Note, and the New-New is Nissan Micra. We have SUV {jeep cherokee trailhawk - M's baby lmao} so I'm looking smaller, but with hatchback. I could make the New-New go lower, but I changed colour and added a couple small things {floor mats and trunk mat} that added ...around $450 to price.

The SUV would be for long haul drives. {lake, trips, etc} where as mine would be daily. To/from work. Groceries. Possibly BabyKitten drives for playdates and/or extra programs.
    Part of the reason we're even considering is because some houses we're looking at aren't in the greatest public transit zones so that affects mostly me but also my mum {she doesn't drive but her bf does - he can't always drive her} Andplusalso we're considering when BabyKitten is in school if M can't leave work to get her for sick day, etc
  • kvruns said:
    I don't have my license yet, but in future planning, I'm anticipating getting another car.

It can be a difference in financing - at least in the states can often get lower interest rates on new cars vs used cars. My last two cars have been brand new. I'd planned last time to look for a slightly used car but honestly it wasn't a big price difference for the brand new car and it just made more sense. I know a lot of people are anti brand new but I dont like to overpay for used so it depends on what you're looking for
    Many car companies offer 0% financing, which helped me in my decision.  

• @kvruns the interest rate I'm basing on what we've been offered in the past. I have excellent credit so I know I'd get a good rating. I know when we plan on getting one M will likely have to sign as a secondary {I had to when we got the last 2 cars}
    I'm hoping to just watch and do the 0% also or whatever deals they have lol

I'm not sure I know what you mean about New-Used and New-New being the same price.  Usually there aren't many or any used cars that are the current year.  Even if they are fairly new (2-3 years old), they are usually substantially less than a new car.

But pros of a new car is they will already be under a full warranty for at least 3 years.  In addition, financing a new car vs. a used car will have a lower interest rate.  I've never quite understood why that's true.  But it is.

A con of a new car is you'll need to add gap insurance to your car insurance.  Technically you don't have to, but it's usually foolish not to.

JIC you don't know what gap insurance is, here's the example.  I'm making up numbers but let's say a new 2020 Honda Civic costs $30K and that is how much your loan is.  But the Blue Book value for a used 2020 Honda Civic...because it will be "used" the minute you drive it off the lot...is $23K.

You DON'T buy gap insurance.  If that car gets totaled in an accident, your or the other driver's insurance will give your loan company $23K for the car, ie the Blue Book value.  Your loan company would then turn to YOU for the other $7K (or whatever the difference is) to pay off the loan for the car that doesn't exist anymore.  Gap insurance protects you from that scenario.

This just happened to one of my tenants earlier this year.  She'd bought a brand new car about one year ago.  It was totaled in an accident that was not her fault.  Didn't matter.  Once the insurance paid off the value of her car to the loan company, she still OWED money.  She also had a $1,000 deductible, though the at-fault company eventually paid that.  And now didn't have a car either.  Plus she was an Uber/Lyft driver so that was her income.

Especially considering she uses her car to earn a living, I'm sorry to be so derogatory but she was an IDIOT to not have gap insurance and a lower deductible.  I couldn't even believe it when she told me that.  A lower deductible is hardly anything extra to pay.  It's the epitome of being pennywise and pound foolish.  But I subdued my snark and gave her friendly advice that, in the future, I strongly recommended gap insurance and as low a deductible as she can get.

I lowered my deductible years ago from $500 to $100.  It's only about $6/month more!  Even when an accident is someone else's fault, it usually takes at least a few weeks for the other insurance to pay the repairs/deductible.  Your car doesn't get released until the deductible is paid.  So you can either pay it yourself and it gets reimbursed later.  Or be without your car until the other insurance pays it.  So much nicer to come up with an unexpected $100 than $500!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @VarunaTT I mean at least 2 subs will be gone shortly, so that should clear things up. Disney + idk if you do it, but I did a yearly payment. Saves at least 1 month of payments in comparison. I also find one payment vs many are easier.

Laugh at me.  I checked all of the subscriptions I could to see if I could do a yearly.  The gym is a bit high for me right now to do a yearly push out and I checked everything else but Disney +, (which you're right), does offer the year.  So, I'll go check that one off.  Thanks for the reminder.  K is carrying our other monthly like Hulu and HBO and they didn't offer yearly that I could find.  I also canceled Wapo and our local paper b/c they didn't offer yearly and I didn't feel like I was using it enough (actually Wapo does, but I couldn't find an easy way to switch it only and I'm just not willing to expend the mental energy to call/chat with someone over it).

I'm not sure I know what you mean about New-Used and New-New being the same price.  Usually there aren't many or any used cars that are the current year.  Even if they are fairly new (2-3 years old), they are usually substantially less than a new car.

But pros of a new car is they will already be under a full warranty for at least 3 years.  In addition, financing a new car vs. a used car will have a lower interest rate.  I've never quite understood why that's true.  But it is.

A con of a new car is you'll need to add gap insurance to your car insurance.  Technically you don't have to, but it's usually foolish not to.

JIC you don't know what gap insurance is, here's the example.  I'm making up numbers but let's say a new 2020 Honda Civic costs $30K and that is how much your loan is.  But the Blue Book value for a used 2020 Honda Civic...because it will be "used" the minute you drive it off the lot...is $23K.

You DON'T buy gap insurance.  If that car gets totaled in an accident, your or the other driver's insurance will give your loan company $23K for the car, ie the Blue Book value.  Your loan company would then turn to YOU for the other $7K (or whatever the difference is) to pay off the loan for the car that doesn't exist anymore.  Gap insurance protects you from that scenario.

This just happened to one of my tenants earlier this year.  She'd bought a brand new car about one year ago.  It was totaled in an accident that was not her fault.  Didn't matter.  Once the insurance paid off the value of her car to the loan company, she still OWED money.  She also had a $1,000 deductible, though the at-fault company eventually paid that.  And now didn't have a car either.  Plus she was an Uber/Lyft driver so that was her income.

Especially considering she uses her car to earn a living, I'm sorry to be so derogatory but she was an IDIOT to not have gap insurance and a lower deductible.  I couldn't even believe it when she told me that.  A lower deductible is hardly anything extra to pay.  It's the epitome of being pennywise and pound foolish.  But I subdued my snark and gave her friendly advice that, in the future, I strongly recommended gap insurance and as low a deductible as she can get.

I lowered my deductible years ago from $500 to $100.  It's only about $6/month more!  Even when an accident is someone else's fault, it usually takes at least a few weeks for the other insurance to pay the repairs/deductible.  Your car doesn't get released until the deductible is paid.  So you can either pay it yourself and it gets reimbursed later.  Or be without your car until the other insurance pays it.  So much nicer to come up with an unexpected $100 than $500!

Oh this brings back such memories of buying my first car (at 35!). I was soooooooo aggravated by the whole process and then at the last stage the dealer tried to talk me into buying gap insurance and I totally lost it. I politely declined several times, and then said “I’ve already told you I am not interested let’s move on” and she kept harping on about it so I went full Karen, demanded to speak to the manager, and said if I wasn’t walking out with keys in 10 minutes I was walking away from the deal entirely. Not my finest hour but I’m still mad about it. (Didn’t want gap insurance because I had enough savings to cover it and would rather not spend the extra essentially buying savings from someone else).  

The New-Used I saw was Nissan Note, and the New-New is Nissan Micra. We have SUV {jeep cherokee trailhawk - M's baby lmao} so I'm looking smaller, but with hatchback. I could make the New-New go lower, but I changed colour and added a couple small things {floor mats and trunk mat} that added ...around $450 to price.

The SUV would be for long haul drives. {lake, trips, etc} where as mine would be daily. To/from work. Groceries. Possibly BabyKitten drives for playdates and/or extra programs.
    Part of the reason we're even considering is because some houses we're looking at aren't in the greatest public transit zones so that affects mostly me but also my mum {she doesn't drive but her bf does - he can't always drive her} Andplusalso we're considering when BabyKitten is in school if M can't leave work to get her for sick day, etc
    Sorry, posted my above post before I saw your update.

On the floor and trunk mats, you should be able to find those after-market for substantially less than what the dealership is charging.  Do some price checking and, if they didn't already give itemized prices for each extra, make them do that.  Dealerships just LOVE to bundle things so people are in the dark as to exactly how much they are paying for what.

Which reminds me of my other pet peeve with dealerships.  The "getting you into this car for $XXX/month".  I will tell them, up front, do NOT talk to me about monthly payments.  That is a pointless number and isn't a concern I have.  I'm looking for a good value for my money, so I only want to hear prices.  Oh, but they don't like that!  It's the opposite of their training.  So they still tell me monthly payments.  And I have to keep repeating myself, with an audible sigh and say, "But what's the PRICE?"

Sell people the "dream" for what they said they can pay per month.  Let's not even be bothered with the minor details that they're quoting 72-month or even 84-month loans to make the monthly payment sound as affordable as possible.

There is a huge lack of understanding loans and personal finance in our country and I hate, HATE industries that take advantage of that.  Looking at you car dealerships and rent-to-own furniture stores, just to name a couple.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Oh this brings back such memories of buying my first car (at 35!). I was soooooooo aggravated by the whole process and then at the last stage the dealer tried to talk me into buying gap insurance and I totally lost it. I politely declined several times, and then said “I’ve already told you I am not interested let’s move on” and she kept harping on about it so I went full Karen, demanded to speak to the manager, and said if I wasn’t walking out with keys in 10 minutes I was walking away from the deal entirely. Not my finest hour but I’m still mad about it. (Didn’t want gap insurance because I had enough savings to cover it and would rather not spend the extra essentially buying savings from someone else).  
    Good for you!  It drives me so nuts also when I have to say "no" more than once to a sales pitch.  I'm still pleasant at twice.  But I'll start getting mad and feel patronized at "three"!  I still think most people should buy gap insurance, but as long as its an informed decision not to, there's nothing wrong with that either.

But then you'll have people react like my tenant did.  She's a pretty smart cookie.  I'd bet dollars to doughnuts she was offered gap insurance, understood what it was, and declined.  However, then when s**t hit the fan and she lost that gamble, she was in a rage at the insurance because it wasn't fair, she didn't have a car, and she still owed money on the loan.  What they were doing wasn't right and she was going to sic her attorney on them.  Of course it sucked and it wasn't fair, like in the general sense that sometimes life isn't fair.  But that insurance company did nothing wrong.  She chose not to buy gap insurance.  She chose a high deductible.  Even though she also knew she'd be up a creek without a paddle if something happened to her car.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congratulations @VarunaTT .

2020 has been in so many respects a truly sucky year.
  • VarunaTT said:
    @VarunaTT I mean at least 2 subs will be gone shortly, so that should clear things up. Disney + idk if you do it, but I did a yearly payment. Saves at least 1 month of payments in comparison. I also find one payment vs many are easier.

Laugh at me.  I checked all of the subscriptions I could to see if I could do a yearly.  The gym is a bit high for me right now to do a yearly push out and I checked everything else but Disney +, (which you're right), does offer the year.  So, I'll go check that one off.  Thanks for the reminder.  K is carrying our other monthly like Hulu and HBO and they didn't offer yearly that I could find.  I also canceled Wapo and our local paper b/c they didn't offer yearly and I didn't feel like I was using it enough (actually Wapo does, but I couldn't find an easy way to switch it only and I'm just not willing to expend the mental energy to call/chat with someone over it).
    I did the Disney + yearly thing, but now with that and Netflix, I'm thinking of cancelling one in order to get a different streaming platform for a bit, probably Amazon Prime.  But I might wait until the new LOTR show is on it ...
    I did just cancel my monthly magazine prescription because it just wasn't feeling to be worth the money for me.  All these subscriptions add up so fast!

Sorry, posted my above post before I saw your update.

On the floor and trunk mats, you should be able to find those after-market for substantially less than what the dealership is charging.  Do some price checking and, if they didn't already give itemized prices for each extra, make them do that.  Dealerships just LOVE to bundle things so people are in the dark as to exactly how much they are paying for what.

Which reminds me of my other pet peeve with dealerships.  The "getting you into this car for $XXX/month".  I will tell them, up front, do NOT talk to me about monthly payments.  That is a pointless number and isn't a concern I have.  I'm looking for a good value for my money, so I only want to hear prices.  Oh, but they don't like that!  It's the opposite of their training.  So they still tell me monthly payments.  And I have to keep repeating myself, with an audible sigh and say, "But what's the PRICE?"

Sell people the "dream" for what they said they can pay per month.  Let's not even be bothered with the minor details that they're quoting 72-month or even 84-month loans to make the monthly payment sound as affordable as possible.

There is a huge lack of understanding loans and personal finance in our country and I hate, HATE industries that take advantage of that.  Looking at you car dealerships and rent-to-own furniture stores, just to name a couple.   
    So added on previous post.
    New-Used is flat rate, New-New can flux depending on packages available {right now none}
    On Nissan's site they give price and details of adding on stuff if you want {handles, spoiler, mats, etc} and I know from pricing floor mats and trunk mat for the Jeep that dealer often has better deals.
    The site says "$XXXX over X monthly payments of $XX or $XX bi-weekly"

Weird part has to be the interest because New-Used is less than the New-New car :\ but same bi-weekly payments
  • VarunaTTVarunaTT member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its First Answer
    edited September 2020
    So....the rumbling in the office will start now.  

When they did the job offer, the head boss wants this to be a full time position.  He instructed that I only keep my litigation cases and everything else be reassigned.  I asked for a reconsideration and sent a "this is how this should be reassigned" email and that was agreed to.  Basically I'm going from 80 to 40 cases, and I won't be assigned new ones, so eventually I won't really be a paralegal anymore (slightly struggling with that, but it might change in the future to a small caseload once operations are streamlined).

HR just sent the reassign list to sucky managing paralegal.  HR also does not necessarily get along with managing paralegal, so it's kind of...blunter than I would've handled it?  I just know managing paralegal is going to be furious about this.  Imma just hide out in my office for the rest of today, y'all.  

:smiley:
  • @MissKittyDanger, I'm shocked they offer bi-weekly payments!  I usually think of the US and Canada being very similar in broad strokes, but I've never heard of car loans set up to be bi-weekly.

I did have a car loan that I personally did that with to save a little interest.  But the loan itself was set up as a monthly payment of $260ish due on the 15th.  So I would pay $130ish around the 1st and the remaining balance on the 15th.  I did check with the bank first that it was okay to make partial payments, as long as the full amount was received by the due date.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @MissKittyDanger, I'm shocked they offer bi-weekly payments!  I usually think of the US and Canada being very similar in broad strokes, but I've never heard of car loans set up to be bi-weekly.

I did have a car loan that I personally did that with to save a little interest.  But the loan itself was set up as a monthly payment of $260ish due on the 15th.  So I would pay $130ish around the 1st and the remaining balance on the 15th.  I did check with the bank first that it was okay to make partial payments, as long as the full amount was received by the due date.
    It has been offered to me before and it does save a small bit on interest and length usually.  I wasn't in a position to take it at the time (this was my very first car years ago), but if it had been offered this time, I might've done it. I don't see it very often though.
  • mrsconn23 said:
    My dad is texting me selfies of him trying on glasses so I can help him pick a pair.  I find this funny and heartbreaking at the same time.  <3 I'm sharing with my sisters so we can decide by committee. LOL
    This is adorable that he's sending selfies <3
    MIL and SFIL have a vehicle they had to order and came from the states, they had to alter the loan for bi-weekly payments and I didn't know why but it's likely many places don't offer bi-weekly :O  
  • @MissKittyDanger I encourage you to go into dealerships and test drive and talk to people often. Try different brands too! I played around a lot on line too and it made a huge difference to actually see cars on the lot. And get your license my goodness!!! You’ve been posting about that for years. 
  • Congrats @VarunaTT and thank you for the baby trivia- mostly news to me lol!  Is it just me or is he getting cuter @charlotte989875 ?  Love the glasses selfies @mrsconn23

Jeez I've been slammed all week. The start of the school year is always insane, nine weeks off takes awhile to recover from, but I guess being out of the building physically is adding?  I've been drowning.  But- wanted to say hi everyone - hope you enjoy your weekends! :)
  • @MissKittyDanger I encourage you to go into dealerships and test drive and talk to people often. Try different brands too! I played around a lot on line too and it made a huge difference to actually see cars on the lot. And get your license my goodness!!! You’ve been posting about that for years. 
    Late to the party, but I want to second this. I know everything is different in Canada, but car insurance is a big factor in car ownership. Insuring a brand new driver on a new car is likely not going to be cheap. If you can get your license now and get some experience in as a driver on M's car, your insurance bill may be lower in the long run. 
  • @STARMOON44 So I did go for my license a year ago and failed .... so my plan was to practice more and retake this past spring - but covid. They're still super backlogged so I'm taking advantage and doing Spring 2021

@MyNameIsNot We thought it would be more but the price doesn't change vastly because I'm on M's insurance now. I'm female that when I was put on was over 25, so that benefits me.
    Idk if it's same in states but males under 25 are the higher insurance cost here.