Wedding Woes

Thursday - almost there!

short+sassyshort+sassy member
First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
edited September 2020 in Wedding Woes
I finished off my previous to-do list and created a fresh one this morning.  I only had to transfer two items from the old one so I feel good and productive about that!  Though one of those is a biggie.

Tonight, I'm making a quick stop at Harrah's because they are giving away free bath towels, lol.  They had a sample towel at the giveaway last Thursday...that one was a 7lb. weighted blanked that had sleeves and could be worn...and I was surprised at how good the quality was for the towels.  Who can't use more bath towels!

Then I'm picking up my H and we are headed out to our rental unit that we took a deposit on a couple days ago.  The tenant who lives in the other unit has turned into a go-to construction guy for us.  He and his g/f are the BEST!  We're meeting with him to go over what we want fixed and pricing.  I know he's excited to do more work for us, especially since he just needs to walk next door for it, lol.

Edited to add:  I was laughing at the 7lb. wearable, weighted blanket they gave away last week.  It looks cozy and super warm.  Perfect for a chilly, winter night.  Except we aren't going to have any chilly nights for about three more months, lol.  It's still in its packaging near my front door from when I brought it home.  I look at it and think, "You are useless for a long time, lol."  I'm looking forward to using it, but need to move it to a closet for the meantime.  So when it's 85+, muggy and humid, it's not sitting there mocking me while I glare at it, lol.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Thursday - almost there!

• I meant to say this yesterday @short+sassy but I’m so glad it sounds like you’re in a good spot with tenants for the moment! 

Thanks for all the feedback on salons yesterday. I’m going to keep my appointment for tonight; it sounds like my salon is taking all the same precautions; can’t enter until your appointment, masks & temp checks for everyone, fewer appointments so more space, & no blow outs. My hair is long and unmanageable & my greys are out of control. I’ve been going grey since I was 26 and this is the longest I’ve gone without coloring. Some people look awesome with the silver streaks. I am not one of them!
  • I meant to say this yesterday @short+sassy but I’m so glad it sounds like you’re in a good spot with tenants for the moment! 

Thanks for all the feedback on salons yesterday. I’m going to keep my appointment for tonight; it sounds like my salon is taking all the same precautions; can’t enter until your appointment, masks & temp checks for everyone, fewer appointments so more space, & no blow outs. My hair is long and unmanageable & my greys are out of control. I’ve been going grey since I was 26 and this is the longest I’ve gone without coloring. Some people look awesome with the silver streaks. I am not one of them!
    Thanks!  I was just talking to my H last night that I am "tentatively" hopeful that, by the end of the year, our rehabbed duplexes will be refinanced.  All repairs/rehabs will be done.  And all our units will be rented out with great tenants who consistently pay their rent on time, lol.  We are about to be up to nine doors!  4 duplexes and the other side of my personal duplex.

My mom started going grey when she was 18!  But she was lucky that it naturally came in, in perfect streaks.  It looked like she spent a fortune in the salon to create that affect, lol.  That was her 20s-50s.  When it went all grey in her 50s/60s, she would dye all of it.  But now that she is in her early 70s she has said "screw it" and just leaves it all grey.  I know I'm super biased, but it looks fabulous all grey also.

I'm not sure where my mom's propensity for grey came from, lol.  Her mother is in her mid-90s.  She has some grey, but most of her hair is not.  My sister and I are in our 40s and neither of us have any grey hair.  At least not yet!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @charlotte989875 , good luck with your haircut. I desperately need one and I'm nervous about it too. I definitely would follow all the safety procedures because I'm scared. Not wearing masks is so common in my area.
  • @CharmedPam, congrats on the closing!  I can get you a free hotel stay in NOLA or Biloxi anytime you want one.  Though I'd obviously suggest waiting until the pandemic is over because you don't want to catch our cooties.

Speaking of NOLA hotels, I know I had mentioned to you all that my p/t gig taking pics of hotel event boards was back up and running, albeit for fewer days and fewer hotels.  The first couple days we did them were shocking, dismal, and depressing!  Of course I know that tourism is way down, just like it is everywhere.  But I had no idea how bad it was.  Three-fourths of the hotels on my route have their front doors locked.  Some of those are totally deserted.  Some of them have signs up for guests on how they can get into the hotel but, since there obviously isn't regular staff at the front desk, the doors are kept locked.

My H happened to run into a staff member outside at two of the hotels that are totally closed.  They both told him that the hotels are not going to open back up until Mardi Gras.  Umm, Mardi Gras?  That's in mid-Feb.  Even if we get a vaccine by the end of the year (big if), that is way too soon for tourism to even remotely get back to normal.  It will be a tiny fraction of the usual MG tourist numbers.

Plus, the city might be cancelling the MG parades (too far out to say).  My small pet peeve.  The way most people phrase it, including people who live here is, "Is New Orleans going to be cancelling Mardi Gras?"  (Sigh).  Mardi Gras is an event on the calendar.  They can't cancel a day.  They can't cancel most of the traditions that come with MG, like king cakes.  They can't cancel private parties and smaller walking parades.  What they can do is cancel the big MG parades.  And, while I realize that is what people mean, it irks me they use incorrect wording.  Because MG is more than just the parades.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well haircut cancelled because H just got laid off & I suggested he get a beer with his friends instead. 

This really sucks. His company merged in July & they said there would be layoffs. I just didn’t think it would be him 3 weeks after his parental leave. 
  • One of the middle schools in my hometown is closed for the next two weeks due to covid cases and lack of subs.   I'm not seeing the "we can be in full-on in class learning" when this stuff comes up.

• Well haircut cancelled because H just got laid off & I suggested he get a beer with his friends instead. 

This really sucks. His company merged in July & they said there would be layoffs. I just didn’t think it would be him 3 weeks after his parental leave. 
    @charlotte989875 - I'm so sorry your DH was laid off.  Did they give him a timeline or is it open ended?  2020 sucks (except for the new babies!)
  • Omg @charlotte989875. I am so sorry. All of the hugs. 

• @charlotte989875 I am so sorry to hear that!  You’re a good wife to give him that time to collect his thoughts.  Wow.  

@short+sassy, will take you up on that one day! Im in numerous Halloween groups and everyone’s saying Halloween is cancelled.  No.  Halloween is not.  Trick or treating is cancelled (but I stopped doing that 3 years ago anyway). 

@charlotte989875, I'm so sorry. <<<hugs for you and your family>>> 
  • Thanks everyone. It’s effective end of the day and his severance will go through October. Not great but could be worse. Still super sucky. 
  • that really sucks @charlotte989875 sorry to hear that. I hope he can find something else soon. 

• OK.  I'm here.  I have been having a bitch of a time with my work computer.  I really think it's going to take a shit on me at the worst possible moment.  It just hates me so much. 

Yesterday was my day off.  I had lunch with my sisters and did some shopping. 

Still having lingering BS from my sinuses.  If I don't feel better after the weekend, I'm going to have to suck it up and do a virtual visit.  Blerg. 

The smoke haze has been so noticeable around here the last few days.  Especially in the morning when the sun just comes up.  It's eerie and just makes me sad.

SSDD otherwise.
  • @charlotte989875 i'm so sorry about H's job, what an awful time. Hope he can find something else soon. 

SSDD.  Excited for Prudie.  
  • @charlotte989875 I am so sorry to hear that!  You’re a good wife to give him that time to collect his thoughts.  Wow.  

@short+sassy, will take you up on that one day! Im in numerous Halloween groups and everyone’s saying Halloween is cancelled.  No.  Halloween is not.  Trick or treating is cancelled (but I stopped doing that 3 years ago anyway). 
    Thank you!  Exactly!  Not to mention, if Halloween was "cancelled', apparently all the stores selling costumes and bags of mini candy did not get the message, lol.  I'll buy one bag anyway.  We almost never have trick or treaters anyway, so I especially doubt we would this year.  But, jic, I don't want to be caught empty-handed.  Plus, with my H's sweet tooth, the candy never goes to waste, lol.  In fact, I need to be careful not to buy the Halloween candy too far in advance because I'll end up having to buy it again.  It isn't safe with him around!

@charlotte989875, I'm so sorry to hear that about your H!  That super sucks.  It's the worst time to be looking for work and I know it took him awhile last time to find the right position.  I'm sending lots of luck your all's way!  Hopefully he finds an even better job soon.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Halloween is definitely not cancelled!   However as a parent I need to manage my kids' expectations and have issues with people who want to advocate that trick or treating is actually not irresponsible. 

I'll consider bringing my kids to the IL's (they're in our bubble) and possibly their neighbors that are in my IL's bubble as a stretch.   Beyond that I'm not taking them out to walk the neighborhood.  
  • IT HAS BEEN A FUCKING WEEK AND I CANNOT HANDLE IT'S ONLY THURSDAY

Late Monday afternoon, SFIL tells our bubble {or as much of bubble we can do} that he's been under the weather and his dr suggested covid test. FUCK!
    He was a likely negative, but still as a precaution

So M and I are emailing and texting work & daycare.
    M didn't work Tuesday, and I didn't work Wednesday so BabyKitten didn't have to sit in highchair most of the day.
    Since SFIL was testing as a sick person, he got his results Wednesday morning - NEGATIVE! MIL got tested too but they said it was safe to base things on his results - they are still staying quarantined until hers come in just because it's easier. They didn't have plans and MIL was to WFH for rest of week anyways.

We did get a desk so M can watch BabyKitten in living room during the day and she won't have to sit in highchair all day.

We're expecting a partial shut down again - our city is a bit of a hot spot so mayor dialed back numbers.
    My mum and I are doing some xmas shopping this weekend in anticipation of likely unable to do some later. Plus except for 1 thing, I can likely online order and that one thing is a calendar that I can arrange to go in, grab and leave.

I do have a list, so that should help.
  • We canceled our Mammoth trip. I’m still sad about it even though we chose a back up trip instead. We ended up going to local wine country and while it’s been nice it wasn’t quite the same trip we’d been planning on. But overall it’s been a lot of fun. We hiked once but it got a little scary when a mountain lion stalked us for probably two miles. It was a pretty remote trail so there was only through and out to escape. And running is the worst thing to do so we couldn’t even hurry up to finish. I’m really glad the guys were with us so we looked more intimidating. The fact that there were four of us together is most likely what kept us safe overall. Yesterday we did social distanced wine tasting. It was interesting to see how the vineyards have handled COVID. It was nice to sit outside in the garden with a flight of wine. I almost prefer it to normal tastings. We’re debating staying another day if they’ll let us keep our room. It’s nice and private and has a little outdoor patio area that’s surrounded by the vineyard. 

• Oh shit @charlotte989875.  I'm so sorry.   That completely sucks. 
  • That’s terrifying @levioosa! On my list of biggest outdoor fears!
  • @charlotte989875 I'm so sorry to hear about your H's job. It sucks for sure, but silver lining (if there is one, and it's faint), he'll have more time with you and the baby while he looks. I still wouldn't want to be going through the stress but it's something good in all of this. 

@levioosa That is terrifying! I get worried about being chased by dogs out on a run, nevermind a mountain lion on a hike. 

SSDD. Happy that it's Thursday. Nothing really planned for this weekend. H is going on a 6 hour bike ride on Saturday and I'd love to take the baby somewhere while he's gone but other than going for a walk (which we've done a million times), there's nowhere to go because I don't feel safe taking her inside anywhere. 
  • @charlotte989875 so sorry about your H's job. 

Well, it seems that 2020 has not finished with me yet. I just found out my dog has cancer. It's a type of skin cancer (mast cell tumor) at stage 2. They have to run more tests to see if she's eligible for oral drugs. The vet says he thinks the prognosis is good, but I'm obviously still very upset and worried. She's 10 now, and I adopted her when she was just 6 months old. She's been with me through everything. 
  • Side fact
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottawa/ottawa-covid19-cases-numbers-september17-1.5727930

The first photo is actually SFIL and MIL lmao she is 5'2" and he is 6'7" lmao
  • @charlotte989875 so sorry about your H's job. 

Well, it seems that 2020 has not finished with me yet. I just found out my dog has cancer. It's a type of skin cancer (mast cell tumor) at stage 2. They have to run more tests to see if she's eligible for oral drugs. The vet says he thinks the prognosis is good, but I'm obviously still very upset and worried. She's 10 now, and I adopted her when she was just 6 months old. She's been with me through everything. 
    Good luck to your dog!  I hope she only needs oral drugs and gets well soon.  It's great to hear the vet thinks her chances are good.

I know with humans, skin cancer is one of the slower growing and less serious (relatively speaking!) forms of cancer, so I would assume that is true for dogs.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • So sorry for everyone having a hard day. Extra hugs and love to all you
    <3
  • @charlotte989875, I'm so sorry. That's so stressful. Vibes for finding something new. 

@climbingwife, So sorry. She's in my thoughts. 

It's been a day here. I was basically in meetings from 9 to 3. I finally just took a break to pee and get something to eat. My brain is scrambled right now. I'm definitely getting some wine tonight.
  • @climbingwife I'm so sorry. Sending good vibes.