Wedding Woes

Wednesday

Back at work today. I'm actually glad to be back in the office, even though things are slow at the moment. But it's probably a temporary lull.

Re: Wednesday

• I tried to solve my phone issue yesterday. Of course they didn’t get back to me. I’m covering at another location today and I’m a little sad about it. I just have so much work to do at my home base and I can’t do it remotely. Otherwise SSDD. It’s smokey over here. 

• It's a good day here. No particular reason; I just woke up in a good mood and I'm trying to ride it. I've been so blah for the last few weeks, it feels nice to just be happy for no reason. 

MIL is coming in tonight. She annoys me, but I'll be busy most of the time she's here. Maybe H will take her on a field trip or something and leave me some alone time in the house. I just hope she takes some initiative to entertain herself for the next two days while we're working. I hate when she sits around waiting for something to do. 
  • SSDD for me.  I'm going to get some new plants, possibly tonight.  They are called Marimo balls, and they look ... interesting.  

• Had to come in to work today for new headshots. I like my  old one so it was annoying to have to get new ones but from the previews on the camera it seemed OK. No worse than before at least!

This was only the 2nd time I've done my hair or put on makeup since end of February. It some ways it is kind of nice to come into the office like this but on the other hand I still like my sweats and pony tail!
  • @charlotte989875 Mom groups of kids around same time is a blessing and curse. I'm part of a group of June 2018 babies {like 90% of us had them early lol}
    Great because you can bounce ideas, get reassurance but curse because things you didn't catch they will.
    I hope your mom group is good. We joke that we're all so low key that we really don't fight {are there disagreements? Sure, but really only 1 person left due to a heavy difference of opinion}
  • short+sassyshort+sassy member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited September 2020
    kvruns said:
    Had to come in to work today for new headshots. I like my  old one so it was annoying to have to get new ones but from the previews on the camera it seemed OK. No worse than before at least!

This was only the 2nd time I've done my hair or put on makeup since end of February. It some ways it is kind of nice to come into the office like this but on the other hand I still like my sweats and pony tail!
    That reminds me of when I first moved to Louisiana from CA.  I had the rare unicorn of an amazing photo on my CA driver's license.  I looked great in it, lol.  But I had to give it up when I got my Louisiana driver's license.  I was such a dork, I even asked the OMV person if there was anyway I could keep it.  She was obliging and punched a hole in the card so it was no longer valid.  Of course I knew it wasn't something I was going to keep forever and I threw it away at some point in time, but I just couldn't bring myself to let it go in the moment.

That reminds me!  Back then, a person's Louisiana driver's license number was their social security number, unless they requested something different.  So incredibly dumb.  I'm just glad the OMV person asked me if I wanted to use my social or a random number because apparently most people preferred their social and that was the default.  I was flabbergasted on multiple levels, lol.

Edited because "whole" and "hole" sound the same, but are not the same word at all, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Mostly SSDD ....
    Monday ended just being awful and I was in such a mood. When I went to bed I used my weighted blanket, because I figured it couldn't hurt. I slept a few hours with it then took it off. Idk if it was sleep or sleep mixed with blanket, but I felt better.

Tuesday I ended up WFH, which is good because we all woke up late. BabyKitten is so chill to hang in her crib that I rarely hear her wake up lol
    I love my wfh days - once M & BabyKitten leave I start a new coffee, put on a face mask, watch tv and/or bask in silence a bit then shower before I start working.

I did have some extra time so I ran a vacuum around my house - mostly upstairs and stairs. We've been moving stuff around so it's kicked up some dust, also I've been busy so I haven't vacuumed much.
    My plan this weekend is to do a 'slow vacuum' style in the living room. That's basically doing smaller spots in a very slow way, so the vacuum picks up more.
    I've heard it works and we really only have 1 rug, so I'm hoping it'll go well. I'm also vacuuming under our couch because .... *cringe*
    I'm doing a total toy/book/stuffy rotation. I've been trying to do that, especially since she has a lot of stuff.

We also ran late today, but better than yesterday. M & I agree we have to start getting up earlier if we want coffee before leaving. Especially with it getting colder & eventually with winter and having extra clothes PLUS brushing car off.

Urg I wish we lived in a place where it didn't get as cold :( BabyKitten is likely going to have an eczema flair up.
  • My entire office needs to get a goddamn grip.  

Context: my main attorney had a CLE that resulted in a new format for the main form of paperwork I use.  He had me work through it and then we used it for quite a  few cases and received good results.  So, my worked through format was about 5 pages, from a 37 page version (difference between thousands of dollars vs. millions of dollars cases).

Attorney sends out 37 page version last night at like 4:55 with message of "please follow this" and leave.  People lose.their.shit.  I talk everyone through it, "don't worry, the real version is about 5 pages, I'll have him send it in the am".  Text the attorney that he's caused a panic.  He sends new form in the morning.  People are STILL losing their shit, claiming they're not going to do it, they're not using it, it's too much work, etc.  Truly, it's basically the exact same format, with an added section that never changes and an additional piece of, yes, work.  Also, you're a damn paralegal, analyze the damn bills, it's your job, and your boss just told you that's how they want it, so that's how you do it.  I don't even understand the issue.  Sure, bitch/vent, that's totally fine, but to just say "Nuh-uh?"  Like, I've chosen hills to die on that people probably thought were stupid, but this isn't the hill.  It's not going to work for you.  Plus all the other shit I hear now that I'm in a somewhat management adjacent position just shocks me.  People have been allowed to absolutely run rogue in this firm and just do whatever the hell they wanted, with no consequences  

Whew, sorry about that vent.  Also, I just ate leftover salmon for lunch, that I accidentally let sit out from this morning, so it wasn't refrigerated anymore.  It was room temperature, doesn't have any dairy on it, and I did microwave it, but if I die, make sure to list covid killed me for the conspiracy theorists to find.  
  • @mrsconn23 Yikes! I hate when injuries happen who you play fight. It kills the mood lol
    We liked Hello Fresh too but they couldn't give us a way to state a sesame allergy so we opted not to try them again - also disappointed.
  • I forgot to mention earlier, BabyKitten bit M last night :\ 

I was on couch and M was at his desk, so we both see her at different angles and unfortunately this was the rare chance neither of us were looking AT HER.
    She tumbles and it looked like she went to lean on her kitchen, and just happened to be at the corner and just fell. She didn't seem too upset, so likely startled her than anything. Since she did bump her head, M wanted to see her walk - dizzy? Disoriented? Etc - and she goes to him. He picks her up to check her eyes and see if any issues {i asked to see if she also had any blood if biting her tongue/lip etc}
    No issues.
    She leans into M's shoulder - per norm - and BITES HIS SHOULDER! Like ... tiny vampire way!
    He obv yells as it hurt a.f, so she starts sobbing - freaked her out obv.
    I have sobbing toddler in my arms, trying to see M's shoulder as he can't clearly see it and we're checking if she broke skin {did not - just looks rough. It's a nasty bruise today}
    Finally get her settled and trying to implor "we do not bite. You bit daddy. That hurts. We do not bite. If you want to bite something not food, you ask. Bite teether. We do not bite!"

I gave her a teether and she went to town on it.

Later she goes to M and touches his hand and says {almost sheepish?} "No bite."
    M just pats her hand back and says "That's right. No bite."
  • I had an "eek" phone call earlier.  It was a voice mail from the CDC.  Which feels alarming for obvious reasons.  But, fortunately, they explained even in their voice mail that they are conducting a survey about vaccination rates for children and asked me to give them a call back.

They called me back about an hour later which seemed aggressive to me but, whatever.  I'm expecting it to be a scam or a telemarketer but no, it appears to have been the real deal.  The guy asked no personal questions whatsoever, other than to make sure I was over 18 and make sure I was in a safe place to talk, ie not driving.  He gives his spiel about what the survey is for.

Shortest survey ever, lol.  The first question was something like, "Do you have any children between the ages of 12 months and 7 years residing in your household?"  Me:  "I do not have any children of any ages residing in my household."  Him:  "Okay, thank you for your participation in blah, blah study.  That is all the questions I have for you.  Have a nice day."

I'm normally unpleasant or just hang up when people/companies call me without my permission.  But for something like that, I was happy to spend a couple minutes doing my civic duty.

Though it's always hard to say.  It didn't say "CDC" or anything like that on the caller id.  I've heard an advanced telemarketer technique is to reach out first with a "survey".  Which establishes "prior relationship" for Do Not Call Registry purposes.  And then they will call back on another day for a sales pitch, if you meet what they are looking for.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ugh.   Biting kids are the suck.   They don't get it and want to do it ALL THE TIME.  

• I had an "eek" phone call earlier.  It was a voice mail from the CDC.  Which feels alarming for obvious reasons.  But, fortunately, they explained even in their voice mail that they are conducting a survey about vaccination rates for children and asked me to give them a call back.

They called me back about an hour later which seemed aggressive to me but, whatever.  I'm expecting it to be a scam or a telemarketer but no, it appears to have been the real deal.  The guy asked no personal questions whatsoever, other than to make sure I was over 18 and make sure I was in a safe place to talk, ie not driving.  He gives his spiel about what the survey is for.

Shortest survey ever, lol.  The first question was something like, "Do you have any children between the ages of 12 months and 7 years residing in your household?"  Me:  "I do not have any children of any ages residing in my household."  Him:  "Okay, thank you for your participation in blah, blah study.  That is all the questions I have for you.  Have a nice day."

I'm normally unpleasant or just hang up when people/companies call me without my permission.  But for something like that, I was happy to spend a couple minutes doing my civic duty.

Though it's always hard to say.  It didn't say "CDC" or anything like that on the caller id.  I've heard an advanced telemarketer technique is to reach out first with a "survey".  Which establishes "prior relationship" for Do Not Call Registry purposes.  And then they will call back on another day for a sales pitch, if you meet what they are looking for.
    Huh, good to know!  

• Oh, I have an automatic flush toilet and it’s very sensitive.  You wave your hand over it, and it flushes. Sometimes if you slam the lid it even goes off!

I opened my cabinet above the toilet yesterday and a shelf started to fall and something fell into the toilet, censor went off and it flushed itself. I didnt see what it was, but it was small enough to go down. Now my toilet’s not flushing.  What do I do? I know people with kids sometimes have them flush toys and objects down - how do you fix that?

• Oh, I have an automatic flush toilet and it’s very sensitive.  You wave your hand over it, and it flushes. Sometimes if you slam the lid it even goes off!

I opened my cabinet above the toilet yesterday and a shelf started to fall and something fell into the toilet, censor went off and it flushed itself. I didnt see what it was, but it was small enough to go down. Now my toilet’s not flushing.  What do I do? I know people with kids sometimes have them flush toys and objects down - how do you fix that?
    Despite LMAO at the images of exactly how this happened, I am bummed for you and that super sucks.

I called my H on your behalf to see if he had any words of advice but, the bad news is, he only had one suggestion.  And, if that doesn't work, you need to call a plumber.  Toilets usually have an S-trap, which is a pipe shaped like an S, and one of its purposes is to catch small items.

He said you can try to fish whatever is stuck, out with a hook of some kind.  He said a wire hanger would be fine.  Though, if that doesn't work, I personally would next try a hardware store that might have something more sturdy, but still small and bendable enough to go down a toilet.

What you don't want to do is push it further down because, more likely than not it will just get stuck again, only in a more difficult spot for a plumber to get out.

Hopefully some of the parents on this board, that have perhaps dealt with squadrons of army men who went swimming, will have other tips and tricks.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Thanks @short+sassy, I’ll take a wire hanger apart tonight.  I hadn’t tried to plunge it yet or anything, I was running late for work!

• OMG, I have never seen such a bad record of reviews!

I looked up the customer service phone number for the Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans, because I need to set a future cancellation date for one of my rentals that just had a tenant move in.

In my search, I saw they have 126 Facebook reviews.  With an average of ONE star.

It's true, they are an absolute s**t show on many levels.  Nor would I expect even a respectable utility company to have a good average, because it's just not that kind of industry.

But you'd think there would be at least enough good and mediocre reviews, especially with that many reviews, to bring the average up from one star.  However, apparently the SWB of NOLA is the proverbial stopped clock that isn't right even twice a day, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • kvruns said:
    Had to come in to work today for new headshots. I like my  old one so it was annoying to have to get new ones but from the previews on the camera it seemed OK. No worse than before at least!

That reminds me of when I first moved to Louisiana from CA.  I had the rare unicorn of an amazing photo on my CA driver's license.  I looked great in it, lol.  But I had to give it up when I got my Louisiana driver's license.  I was such a dork, I even asked the OMV person if there was anyway I could keep it.  She was obliging and punched a hole in the card so it was no longer valid.  Of course I knew it wasn't something I was going to keep forever and I threw it away at some point in time, but I just couldn't bring myself to let it go in the moment.

That reminds me!  Back then, a person's Louisiana driver's license number was their social security number, unless they requested something different.  So incredibly dumb.  I'm just glad the OMV person asked me if I wanted to use my social or a random number because apparently most people preferred their social and that was the default.  I was flabbergasted on multiple levels, lol.

Edited because "whole" and "hole" sound the same, but are not the same word at all, lol.
    I had to laugh at your Driver's License story. When I got my first license at the age of 16 it was the best picture I had ever had taken! I kept that for years! People couldn't believe how good it was because normally they are so bad. I haven't had a repeat in the many times I've had to get a new one.

I looked up the customer service phone number for the Sewerage and Water Board of New Orleans, because I need to set a future cancellation date for one of my rentals that just had a tenant move in.

In my search, I saw they have 126 Facebook reviews.  With an average of ONE star.

It's true, they are an absolute s**t show on many levels.  Nor would I expect even a respectable utility company to have a good average, because it's just not that kind of industry.

But you'd think there would be at least enough good and mediocre reviews, especially with that many reviews, to bring the average up from one star.  However, apparently the SWB of NOLA is the proverbial stopped clock that isn't right even twice a day, lol.
    I'm trying to think of what would prompt me to write a review for a utility. I could see doing it out of frustration when something was wrong (power outage), but I can't imagine writing a good review. Water pressure is great? lol. I think it's one of those things when people only write reviews when something is wrong. 

I'm trying to think of what would prompt me to write a review for a utility. I could see doing it out of frustration when something was wrong (power outage), but I can't imagine writing a good review. Water pressure is great? lol. I think it's one of those things when people only write reviews when something is wrong. 
    Probably so and that is why I think it is just that kind of industry even for a good utility company.

But I could see people writing good reviews if they had called customer service and the person was nice and helpful.  Or if they were expecting something to take longer than it really did.  Or even if it was a bad review, they give 2 or 3 stars.

There is extreme anger at them in the city and has been for years.  They've been investigated for fraud and embezzlement at various times.  Both the reviews and regularly on my Nextdoor site there are stories of bills suddenly skyrocketing with no explanation.  Their bills are wrong a lot, but they sometimes won't correct the charges even when they admit they're wrong...had that happen to me a few years ago.  They estimate usage much more often than they do actual readings, almost always in their favor.

They won't send bills for months and then send a whopper.  And, yeah, people should set aside "about" what they know their water bill should be that month.  But people don't do that and it does make it harder to budget, even for people who do.  I had a bunch of late charges once from not getting my bill for about 4 months, but I was able to get them to waive those.

We also have insanely high rates here.  For example, that unit I was just talking about that I'm cancelling my account for?  Not one drop of water was used and the monthly bill was around $65.  It does include trash pick-up, which is $24/month.  But a base charge of $41 for no water.  yeeeaahh.

And that's just the angst people have over billing.  People also blame them, and rightly so, for their homes and businesses being flooded.  They're responsible for the pump stations in the city and cleaning out the drains.  Both of which have been handled with extreme negligence.  Their gross inaction with keeping the pumps working and drains cleared is a large part of why NOLA has such a problem with street flooding.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker