Wedding Woes

Today is TUESDAY

2»

Re: Today is TUESDAY

• On top of everything else, I also think that one of the partners in my office has COVID. I don't have any actual proof, but sneaking suspicions. I haven't been around this partner since last Thursday but they're out of the office today sick, I heard my boss on the phone with him asking him how he's feeling, if he's going to rest later, and two of the other partners were whispering to each other in the kitchen and one of those two handles all of our sick time, COVID communications, compliance, etc. She also sent out an email this morning reminding us not to come to work if we feel sick. It just feels all too coincidental. 

ETA - we're a staff of 13 people so I don't know if they can let us know if someone has it without potentially violating HIPAA.
    I'm so sorry to hear about your sister!  Especially with all the other medical problems happening with your parents.

As for work, your instincts sound spot on.  I had something similar happen at my work back in July.  On the one hand, I understand medical issues need to be kept confidential.  On the other hand, it's really disconcerting to be pretty sure you were exposed to someone(s), but your workplace doesn't say a word.

I don't know what the best answer is.  I feel like people should be warned (of course, without naming names) but, especially in smaller offices or work areas, that might make it obvious who was sick. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Casadena said:
    Have you all heard of Daily Harvest?  They have an assortment of frozen smoothies, grain/veggie bowls, soups, etc and it's all super healthy.  We ordered a big box recently and have been LOVING the smoothies.  I just finished the mint/cacao one for lunch it's a little sad how happy it made me - it tasted like a drank a mint chip milkshake.  It's a little pricey, but you can find decent deals for the first order.  

The recruiter from that job interview a couple weeks ago never called me back.  I'm not super surprised i just always hate (especially with a recruiter) when they dont' just tell you they're not moving forward.  
    I've seen commercials for it and have been curious!  Thanks for the review.  Once you get the hang of different ingredients they have for different smoothies/meals, you might be able to freezer package individual servings of things yourself and save money.

I'm sorry you didn't hear back from the recruiter!  That's the pits.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @banana468 From what I've read, they have to tell employees that were in direct contact with the infected employee up to two days before symptoms started or a positive test (I wasn't), and have to tell the general population of employees as long as HIPAA is maintained. In this case, we could all figure out who it is so it's not possible for them to tell us and keep it confidential. The last time I worked in the office was Thursday (along with this partner) so I imagine that's why we're not being told. 
  • yikes @cupcait927 they're not violating HIPAA disclosing that someone in the office has tested positive/showing symptoms. It is only a violation if that information was learned from the health plan (as in someone looking at the carrier's claims figured it out) and then shared it.  But that doesn't mean it should be shouted from the rooftops, they really should just say "an employee in our office tested positive. This EE's last day in the office was Thursday.......". Of course people will figure it out, especially in a small office, but they're not supposed to disclose unless the employee says it is OK to share their name. 

I think their can be an ADA impact on information that is shared which again is why it is important for employers to keep it as vague as possible while still informing those with close contact. 
  • Casadena said:
    Have you all heard of Daily Harvest?  They have an assortment of frozen smoothies, grain/veggie bowls, soups, etc and it's all super healthy.  We ordered a big box recently and have been LOVING the smoothies.  I just finished the mint/cacao one for lunch it's a little sad how happy it made me - it tasted like a drank a mint chip milkshake.  It's a little pricey, but you can find decent deals for the first order.  

The recruiter from that job interview a couple weeks ago never called me back.  I'm not super surprised i just always hate (especially with a recruiter) when they dont' just tell you they're not moving forward.  
    I've seen commercials for it and have been curious!  Thanks for the review.  Once you get the hang of different ingredients they have for different smoothies/meals, you might be able to freezer package individual servings of things yourself and save money.

I'm sorry you didn't hear back from the recruiter!  That's the pits.
    I'm already keeping track of the ones we really like to try!!!  There's definitely a few things we liked that I couldn't (or wouldn't try to) recreate because they use some interesting and hard to find ingredients.  

I will say the oatmeal and chia bowls are not at all worth the money.  You could easily make any of them in less than 5 minutes.  Smoothies, soups, bowls and flatbreads have been awesome so far though!
  • @cupcait927, It's not HIPAA if you're not a healthcare provider, but I guess sharing someone's health data at work without their permission is still dicey. Still, it's a global pandemic. Sharing that someone has contracted the virus is completely different than sharing that a person is diabetic or whatever. You have a legitimate reason to know if you've potentially been exposed and refusing to share is shitty. 

@Casadena, I've been eyeing them for a while, but they always seemed too pricey. Maybe I need to treat myself for a special occasion!
  • @cupcait927, It's not HIPAA if you're not a healthcare provider, but I guess sharing someone's health data at work without their permission is still dicey. Still, it's a global pandemic. Sharing that someone has contracted the virus is completely different than sharing that a person is diabetic or whatever. You have a legitimate reason to know if you've potentially been exposed and refusing to share is shitty. 

@Casadena, I've been eyeing them for a while, but they always seemed too pricey. Maybe I need to treat myself for a special occasion!
    I justified it to myself because it's about the same price per meal as what I would spend eating at the work cafeteria 3-5 times per week if I was still in the office.  Plus it's super easy and everything we have tried as been really good (again, other than the oat or chia bowls, which were good but definitely not worth the price per bowl).  

Apparently they have a referral program too, so i can send a code for $25 off your first order. 
  • Thanks everyone for the guidance. I'm hoping that I'm wrong, that he just has the flu or a cold, but I can't help but think it's COVID. My workplace is dicey when it comes to following HR rules because we're so small and have no real HR. 
  • Ugh. Tuesday.

Although today hasn't been terrible...just kinda dull.
  • Casadena said:

That sucks!  I hate that too - it doesn't take too much to shoot off a quick email, and it's nice to have closure.

• Hubby woke me up at 3 AM, said something along the lines of "I think I heard someone coughing downstairs, and the dog is up here", and then pretty much fell back asleep.  So I couldn't sleep for an hour trying to figure out if someone was in the house!  It turns out he thought he heard something that was probably the dog, went and did a check of the house, and then went back to bed but failed to convey that information.  Bah!

• kerbohl said:
    Casadena said:

That sucks!  I hate that too - it doesn't take too much to shoot off a quick email, and it's nice to have closure.
    They seem to be very phone-only people - she has only responded to any emails by phone, but won't answer questions or give me any info in a voicemail. I don't understand it!
  • Casadena said:
    kerbohl said:
    Casadena said:

They seem to be very phone-only people - she has only responded to any emails by phone, but won't answer questions or give me any info in a voicemail. I don't understand it!
    Wow, that's odd!  I usually have the opposite with recruiters - I can only get them through email!  Responding to an email by phone?  Must have something to do with not leaving a "paper" trail?

• kerbohl said:
    Hubby woke me up at 3 AM, said something along the lines of "I think I heard someone coughing downstairs, and the dog is up here", and then pretty much fell back asleep.  So I couldn't sleep for an hour trying to figure out if someone was in the house!  It turns out he thought he heard something that was probably the dog, went and did a check of the house, and then went back to bed but failed to convey that information.  Bah!
    that would keep me up all night!
  • kerbohl said:
    Hubby woke me up at 3 AM, said something along the lines of "I think I heard someone coughing downstairs, and the dog is up here", and then pretty much fell back asleep.  So I couldn't sleep for an hour trying to figure out if someone was in the house!  It turns out he thought he heard something that was probably the dog, went and did a check of the house, and then went back to bed but failed to convey that information.  Bah!
    I would have guessed sleep talking lol
  • I just want to thank those of you who educated on how HIPAA works b/c I'm so freaking tired of people trying to argue HIPAA.

Thats not how this works  Know Your Meme
  • @VarunaTT I deal with HIPAA in my job (health insurance broker) but clearly I overapply the definition. 
  • people also forget that there are different facets of HIPAA that affect entities like healthcare providers differently than employers/insurance plans