Wedding Woes

Give a fish vs. teach to fish

A friend of mine grew up in a particularly repressive, unhealthy corner of the conservative Christian bubble and is on a quest for all the knowledge she was denied. This is admirable and also pretty fun. Showing someone Futurama for the first time is deeply satisfying. My friend has fastened onto me as a sort of reference guide lately, probably because I’m a blathering know-it-all. We once stayed up until 3 in the morning while I explained how plate tectonics work. I’m happy to respond to requests for book recommendations and useful articles. But sometimes I’m a bit out of my depth. I’m only a few years older than she is, and I have no qualifications for any sort of mentorship but having been encouraged to follow my curiosity rather than crush it. I worry about being condescending without meaning to and about staying in my lane. She asked about pronouns in Twitter bios the other way (we’re both cis, and I explained to her what being cis is, and what puberty blockers are … ) and I probably acquitted myself OK? I don’t want to opt out of her learning adventure, but how do I avoid being a snot about it and know when I’m up to being useful, and when I should point her to Google?

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Give a fish vs. teach to fish

• Omg the drama. If you know an answer and want to give it, go for it. If you don’t just say “I’m not sure, here’s a way you might be able to find out.”
  • Friend may not know resources and google could be a dangerous rabbit hole. LW could pull from other people and direct friend there or find resources to directly help friend without the rabbit hole of Google
  • You’re just now worrying about being condescending?

• I don't see it as being condescending if the friend asks the LW a question and they answer.  It even sounds like they are using questions as a springboard to promote conversations that are interesting and expands knowledge for both of them.

But if they don't know the answer or it's a controversial question or they aren't sure of the answer, then they should have (and hopefully have) shown their friend how to research for an answer themselves.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Stop considering yourself a blathering know it all.  You aren't.   So look it up and if the on off switch is that much of a unique button to your friend then show how it works.