Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

What to bring or be ready for when going first time dress shopping

hi! Ive looked up and multiple say have your jewelry, shoes, hair, makeup all done and picked out for when you go dress shopping. Do I really need it all? Ive been to only a few weddings in my life so I have no idea what to do when dress shopping. Any pointers are great!

Re: What to bring or be ready for when going first time dress shopping

• Options
    Nope, you don't need all of that in place. The main thing is to have shoes the approximate height you intend to wear so that when you find your dress, the alterations person will have some idea of the length you'll need. And I definitely wouldn't bother with makeup. You want a dress that flatters your natural complexion. You can do makeup and hair for the final fitting, or when you choose a veil if you're doing that. And you can buy or choose your jewelry to go with your dress later.
  • Options
    Nope - There is a pinned post of what to know before shopping for your dress here from years back, I highly recommend that...

Basics:  Have a strapless/corset/busk that you plan to wear that fits you properly if possible especially if you're well endowed.  If you don't have one, usually bridal salons will have one for you to use or purchase, but FWIW, unless you're planning on a backless dress it's an investment you'll most likely need to make if you're above a B cup...  My busk came from Amazon and is metal boning and built to last, the strapless I purchased from David's never fit right and worse, I got to put it on three times before it entirely just gave up and literally spilled my top out.  If you're well endowed, metal boning is your friend!

Have an idea of what you want to spend, then cut it in half!  The reason is because falling in love with a $6000 dress is SUPER easy, having to come to the realization that you can only afford to spend $600 on the dress after crinoline, veil, and alterations is entirely another.  Alterations can add hundreds if not thousands to the cost of the dress, so having that wiggle room also allows for things like a crinoline, undergarments, shoes, veil, tiara/hairpiece, etc. is something you'll thank yourself for later!  

Veils are one thing that you shouldn't purchase from a bridal store if you can avoid it.  Amazon, Michael's, JJsHouse, LightInTheBox, etc. or DIY is a smarter financial choice.  For $10 in materials and a couple hours in time you can have a simple bridal veil instead of spending $$$...  
  • Options
    hi! Ive looked up and multiple say have your jewelry, shoes, hair, makeup all done and picked out for when you go dress shopping. Do I really need it all? Ive been to only a few weddings in my life so I have no idea what to do when dress shopping. Any pointers are great!
    I've never heard of that, ever. You'll want to have the shoes you're going to be wearing when you have your fittings. But for the first time looking at dresses, you don't need any of that. I'd even be worried about having makeup and hair done when you're trying on any dresses. Some will have to go over you head possibly, instead of stepping into them, depending on the style you choose. You hair could get ruined and makeup could end up on the dresses. So yeah, that just sounds like a bad idea all around.