Wedding Woes

Prudie Monday

We get a belated present with a column from Thursday. 

How was Christmas, if you celebrated?  How was the weekend?  

Our holiday was nice.  I made it through with minimal tears, but maximum insomnia (ugh).  The kiddo was here a lot, which was nice.  DH and BIL's coordinated to get my sisters and me the same Willow Tree figurine (it was a three sister theme and WT was mom's fave), which was extraordinarily sweet.  The kids seemed really happy with everything they received.  

Saturday I did some running around then we were pretty low-key.  We finished this season of the Crown and all I can say is that Charles the worst.  Yesterday, our friends came over to watch football.  My friend L (who's dating one of DH's BFF's) and I ditched the kids and men and went to get facials at this esthetician/massage college because her friend goes there and needs the hours.  I guess we were her first public clients.  She did amazing!! My skin feels great. Also, it felt super safe because everyone was wearing masks and face shields. 

DH only works 2 days this week.  I have to work up until Thursday, womp, womp.  Looking forward to NYE.  Our friends are coming back over and we're ordering Chinese food.  I found a massive bottle of sparkling wine for the toast at Trader Joe's for $13.  I'm so excited to bust that puppy open.  

Re: Prudie Monday

• Christmas was very nice.  I managed to wrap everything and then at 10:30 Christmas Eve I turned to DH and told him the FIRST gift that was delivered for him I forgot to wrap.  5 minutes later I took care of that brain fart.   DH was super thoughtful and gave me some great items like a pair of high quality wireless headphones and a MIckey Mouse belgian waffle maker.  

The day was emotional and we had my ILs and my uncle as our guests.  The ILs have been in our bubble and my uncle is very cautious so we felt OK about those 3 people.  The uncle is also recently widowed and I could see the emotion in his eyes since it's the first Christmas he woke up without my Aunt since they were married in 87.

Dinner was PERFECT.  If you ever make a rib roast I highly recommend the Alton Brown method of putting the roast in the cold oven and then roasting at 250 degrees until it's 118 or 120, resting for a half hour and THEN getting a super crust by searing for 15 minutes at 500.  It was amazing and so was the Yorkshire pudding.   I made my mom's twice baked potatoes for the first time and aside from my MIL's inability to speak with tact it was a lovely time. 

• Christmas was nice for us! Grateful my small family could gather. I’m not taking time officially off M-W but I’m also planning to work half days at most. No NYE plans because the couple of friends im comfortable seeing indoors are out of town. 
  • Weekend was good, but exhausting! We celebrated with Hs parents on Christmas Day, then my mom’s tests came back negative so we were able to see them on Saturday. Everything was great and Baby M was so excited to see people. 

It was a great first Christmas with the baby even if the pandemic limited so much of what we did and who we could see. Almost everyone was cool with it. We sent videos and pictures of him with his gifts. The only one was again my Mom’s sister who commented on my MIL’s picture “adorable- but when do we get our turn with (baby name)”. I’m trying not to let it bug me but she has college kids that are in and out of the house and off with friends. My Dad has explained it, her sisters have explained it, and yet anytime I or anyone else shares something about baby M she makes a comment. 
  • Hi MrsConn, I read the grievances post first so sorry you had to deal with FIL all weekend. The rest of it sounds nice though. 
    I have never been a big NYE person. Generally it is over hyped and under delivered in my experience, I would just rather stay home.

Our Christmas was nice. We were able to video call with everyone while they opened the presents we sent them, that's the best part. 
  • @mrsconn23 sorry about your FIL 
    Everyone’s holiday sounds like it was festive, I’m glad to hear! 

Christmas Eve mass was beautiful- my church added four extra masses and kept their usual protocols in place so it didn’t feel any more crowded than a Sunday mass.  The Eve seafood dinner, Christmas morning cinnamon rolls and ham and twice baked potatoes for dinner all came out delicious.  FIL popped over for a brief outdoor visit and the kids and I enjoyed the half hour “Carols and Cocoa” in my parents’ backyard.  We actually kept our masks on and didn’t partake in the cocoa even though it was outdoors, I wanted my son to have the healthiest possible couple of days pre-surgery.
    I’m in the waiting area now, he’s been under since 7:45.  I was just told it’s going well.  

NYE is going to be apps from Trader Joe’s, a glass of Sauvignon blanc and I’ll probably stay up until 10-10:30 instead of my usual 9:30 🥳

• Oh also, I loathed WW84.  It was so bad, so full of plot holes, and terrible tropes about women, and questionable morals...I was so disappointed.  Especially after that opening scene, where I was sooooooo excited.  So, the opening scene and the post credit scene are awesome, don't watch the 2.5 hours of terrible movie in between.

:smiley:
  • VarunaTT said:
    Oh also, I loathed WW84.  It was so bad, so full of plot holes, and terrible tropes about women, and questionable morals...I was so disappointed.  Especially after that opening scene, where I was sooooooo excited.  So, the opening scene and the post credit scene are awesome, don't watch the 2.5 hours of terrible movie in between.

Agreed!  We watched it Christmas night and I fell asleep (which, the cranberry mules I had helped that, LOL).  We got done and DH was like, "that was crap."  
  • @mrsconn23, thanks for the surprise Prudie day!  It's a harsh Monday coming back after a 4-day weekend and I appreciate the distraction, lol.

I had a great 4 days off!  Nothing special happened.  Just nice to relax and have the time off.  I went hog wild at a gourmet grocery store on Christmas Eve and loaded us up with all kinds of delicious finger foods and dips.  Including a crab and swiss quiche for only $7.  Turned out to be full of crab and is a "must buy" for the future.  For Christmas dinner, my H cooked up a turkey breast with stuffing.  We still have lots of leftovers, yummy.  On the day after Christmas, I went shopping and loaded up on all kinds of stuff.  30% off Hickory Farms at Target, so now I have summer sausage to last me for quite awhile, lol.

I found Izzy some rawhide treats in Christmas shapes for 50% off.  She was very excited and immediately went to town on the one I gave her.  They were decent sized, about 3" long and 1 1/2" wide and she is only 22 lbs.  I thought it would take her a few days to chew it down.  She chewed it non-stop for 2 hours until it was gone, lmao.  Now I wish I'd bought them out!  Izzy accidentally sat on the back half of our cat Maple and stayed there.  I thought Maple would get upset, but she didn't even bat an eye, lol.  Just kept laying there.  She probably enjoyed the warmth!

I'm closing on my refinances today at 3:30!  So I'm leaving work early at 3:00.  Going to pick up some cold champagne on the way home to celebrate.  I have a bottle of Moet I've been saving for this occasion.  But I'd rather save my "good" bottle for this weekend when I can take all day to enjoy it.

It's a rate/term refinance as opposed to a cash-out refinance, because I saved 1/2 a percent that way.  But the way the estimated closing costs and real numbers calculated out, I will actually be walking away with about $2500!  Unexpected "bonus", lol.  Yay!  Technically it's rolled into the loan, but I'd rather have the money "in hand" now anyway. 

I'll also be getting over $900 back from the current/previous loan company because they royally screwed up and bought "insurance" for me, even though they had my proofs of insurance all along.  There just wasn't time to fix the pay off amount before closing.  I assume I should be getting a check for that within the next few weeks, but I'll double check with my title company today on what kind of timeframes they typically see with that kind of stuff.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    VarunaTT said:
    Oh also, I loathed WW84.  It was so bad, so full of plot holes, and terrible tropes about women, and questionable morals...I was so disappointed.  Especially after that opening scene, where I was sooooooo excited.  So, the opening scene and the post credit scene are awesome, don't watch the 2.5 hours of terrible movie in between.

Agreed!  We watched it Christmas night and I fell asleep (which, the cranberry mules I had helped that, LOL).  We got done and DH was like, "that was crap."  
    A friend's b/f (P) saw it on Christmas with his friends.  He totally panned it and said his friends did also.  P isn't that into comics and assumed he was just missing things because he isn't familiar with the WW comic book series.  But his buddy who is said something like, "Nope!  It's not you.  It was just a terrible, disjointed movie and didn't really make sense or follow the comics either."  Which is such a shame because I know the first WW movie was so loved and heralded.  I actually saw that one not too long ago when it came on tv.   
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • @VarunaTT your apartment looks so good! I’m really impressed that was a big job. 
  • I love your apartment @VarunaTT!  Don’t move!! Lol

• WW84 got horrible reviews!  M and I saw Soul. Kinda sorta.  We napped.  We had some BCBC so we only saw the beginning and end.

M met my parents too. He helped us out in my kitchen and loaded things up in their trailer on Saturday, then we went out to lunch before my parents headed back home. He liked them and said it wasnt as bad as he expected (he expected 20 questions but my parents aren’t like that!).

Christmas Day was family zoom and we found out my cousin (who moved her wedding from Summer of 2020 to Fall of 2021) is pregnant!  My aunt is very excited and always said they didn’t have to be married in order to give her grandbabies!  
    Congrats to your cousin!  One of my coworkers found out on Christmas Day that she is going to be a grandma.  Her first grandchild!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • mrsconn23 said:
    VarunaTT said:

Oh, that's so disappointing!  I was looking forward to it!  Well, maybe I'll just not watch it. 

• My 3 day weekend was great.  We had an outdoor Christmas gathering with my side of the family instead of cancelling.  We had a bonfire and did some winter sports.  Then I reorganized my house and started making up my budget for next year.  I love making up my budget - it's one of those lame things I look forward to at the end of the year.  I do a year review, check to see if there are any areas where we could spend less or more, plan out future expenses over the year, and then perfect my spreadsheet so I can input everything as the year goes on.

Of course, 2020 was awful for having a lovely budget at the beginning and then having everything go down the drain.  But right now, I'm hopeful that this budget won't be sidelined by any horrible horrible events.  I've even anticipated a big plumbing bill since there's something up with my bathroom.  

Also, Christmas at the ILs was not half bad.  They didn't go overboard with gifts.

• kerbohl said:
    My 3 day weekend was great.  We had an outdoor Christmas gathering with my side of the family instead of cancelling.  We had a bonfire and did some winter sports.  Then I reorganized my house and started making up my budget for next year.  I love making up my budget - it's one of those lame things I look forward to at the end of the year.  I do a year review, check to see if there are any areas where we could spend less or more, plan out future expenses over the year, and then perfect my spreadsheet so I can input everything as the year goes on.

Of course, 2020 was awful for having a lovely budget at the beginning and then having everything go down the drain.  But right now, I'm hopeful that this budget won't be sidelined by any horrible horrible events.  I've even anticipated a big plumbing bill since there's something up with my bathroom.  

Also, Christmas at the ILs was not half bad.  They didn't go overboard with gifts.
    I love working and re-working my budget also.  Though I don't usually admit that, lol.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sounds like y'all did mostly good holiday, so yay!

@Kerbohl bonfire and outdoor sounds amazing!
    And now I want to do @banana468 's rib roast.

I am sad that WW84 is sounding so bad. I was hoping that it would be more "her" story (less the boys story) than the first, but I've heard very little good. Which is SO FRUSTRATING because it leads to "well, can't make female superhero movies" because they flop" bs.

Nobody from the mr's family has talked to us. Just as well. We might end up with permanent breaks because of this. Which will be hard on the kiddo
  • GBCK said:
    Sounds like y'all did mostly good holiday, so yay!

@Kerbohl bonfire and outdoor sounds amazing!
    And now I want to do @banana468 's rib roast.

I am sad that WW84 is sounding so bad. I was hoping that it would be more "her" story (less the boys story) than the first, but I've heard very little good. Which is SO FRUSTRATING because it leads to "well, can't make female superhero movies" because they flop" bs.

Nobody from the mr's family has talked to us. Just as well. We might end up with permanent breaks because of this. Which will be hard on the kiddo
    @GBCK we're not friends on FB but I'm guessing there was a MIL set up / scene related to masking? 
  • So, I do read the comics and follow Wonder Woman.

Rant incoming and spoilers, so don't read if you don't want to know (if someone can tell me how to cover, I will).

1.  It's been 50 damn years and WW is still pining over the same damn dude.  They used his death in the last movie to make her realize her demigoddess power (which is referred to as fridging in the comic world for reasons I won't go into here, but basically it's the idea that the death of the beloved leads to action on the part of the hero) and then they did it again in this one.  Only this time, he wakes up in someone else's body, which seems morally iffy to me and they're both totally fine with it, even to the point of making fun of the possessed man.  Which makes no sense, b/c all of the other wishes were totally literal, so why Steve just couldn't appear without that plot, IDK.  Then, STEVE has to tell WONDER WOMAN, what she needs to do to save the world.  W in T actual F?!

2.  Stiletto heels as a superpower.  Not even tongue in cheek, it's when Minerva wishes to be "cool, sexy, and special like Diana" that she can suddenly walk in stilettos.  And they make a point of the damn stilettos.  It pisses me right off.

3.  Steve flies an 80s jet after WW2 planes?  And why couldn't WONDER WOMAN fly her own damn jet?  Why, at every single opportunity, is the superhero of the damn movie, subservient to the man?  Every single time.  

4.  The self sacrifice and crying as the way WONDER WOMAN defeats Max Lord.  Wanna know how Wonder Woman defeat Max Lord in her comics?  She breaks his goddamn neck.  He is a powerful telepath who has taken control of Superman and his powers.  He's a super villain.  Why can't WW have a supervillain to fight and battle and kill, instead of some dude who's "just trying to do good"?

No description available

No description available

5.  Minerva is also wasted b/c she was an actual super interesting supervillain as well.  She didn't need to be attached to Max Lord at all.  She was the only CGI that looked cool and that last fight scene was totally wasted and dumb.  Also, how did WW not get electrocuted in that water?  We just have to assume it was this damn dumb gold armor that Cheetah already beat the hell out of.

6.  The 80s setting was totally wasted for just costume and set dressing.  The entire missile scene at the end had no urgency behind it for those who didn't live through or study the MAD doctrine.  And why they also had flashes of what I can only assume is supposed to be the Afghanistan war at that time?  But it sure seems like "throw in the evil Middle Eastern dude too" to me.

7.  Okay, why are the Amazons so white and so straight?  Entire damn stadium full of Amazonian woman and mostly white and none of them looking like couples?  At least some of them kinda looked like they were lusting after the warriors, but still annoying.

8.  Finally, the golden armor.  I don't even know why it was there, except they wanted to have the post credit scene with Lynda Carter, which I did totally love, but still.  The armor was so awkward looking, with no counter balance to the wings, and just totally useless beyond looks (I admit this is my stage combat/costume experience coming out).

So anyway, I'm super disappointed in it.  That opening scene was sooooo good, I almost cried, b/c we finally had a Diana that was out to kick ass and take names and fight to the top.  And then it just fizzled, terribly.

And that is my nerd soap box for the day.

• Yeah, we had said we'd come if all adults masked. It was at the IL's house, they knew this.
    Only MIL & FIL masked.
    I literally said we were leaving and put my boots back on and was going for my coat. And I said we make the decisions for our family, they make it for theirs. I was told I was forcing their decision bu BIL And I said that's why we're effing leaving. And I told MIL she set this up (and she said she can't tell other adults what to do.  Or warn us apparently)
    I kinda took it to 10 immediately. Which is mildly my bad. 
    But they masked. We pretend every thing is ok for 1 hour. We left.

MIL & FIL are allegedly selling their house here and staying at their house down south so they'll be there with their guns when the uprising by the libs has to be squelched. 
    BIL & SIL are looking to move there if he finds a job.

BIL & SIL also tried to enforce that a 4yo can unwrap a gift, but not open yhe box (-to many small parts or not ok for the moment-i get it) so should sit quietly and wait w/o any toys while everyone else takes their turn. And should understand not to step over a toy that her princess dress will snag on etc.
    It was painful to watch. They're allegedly starting family therapy, because the kid is so rebellious/disobedient-which is good as long as it's not crap church therapy 
    (I also would not be surprised if the kid has some learning differences. She's clever and funny and adorable so I don't like seeing her squelched. I get parenting while stressed is hard, but she deserved a bit better than she was getting)
  • GBCK said:
    Yeah, we had said we'd come if all adults masked. It was at the IL's house, they knew this.
    Only MIL & FIL masked.
    I literally said we were leaving and put my boots back on and was going for my coat. And I said we make the decisions for our family, they make it for theirs. I was told I was forcing their decision bu BIL And I said that's why we're effing leaving. And I told MIL she set this up (and she said she can't tell other adults what to do.  Or warn us apparently)
    I kinda took it to 10 immediately. Which is mildly my bad. 
    But they masked. We pretend every thing is ok for 1 hour. We left.

MIL & FIL are allegedly selling their house here and staying at their house down south so they'll be there with their guns when the uprising by the libs has to be squelched. 
    BIL & SIL are looking to move there if he finds a job.

BIL & SIL also tried to enforce that a 4yo can unwrap a gift, but not open yhe box (-to many small parts or not ok for the moment-i get it) so should sit quietly and wait w/o any toys while everyone else takes their turn. And should understand not to step over a toy that her princess dress will snag on etc.
    It was painful to watch. They're allegedly starting family therapy, because the kid is so rebellious/disobedient-which is good as long as it's not crap church therapy 
    (I also would not be surprised if the kid has some learning differences. She's clever and funny and adorable so I don't like seeing her squelched. I get parenting while stressed is hard, but she deserved a bit better than she was getting)
    So the 4 yo is acting like a 4 yo but so were her parents and grandparents.  Ugh. 

I admit I'm a yelling mom and I don't like it.     But I try to manage my expectations of my kids because they're KIDS! 

• Christmas was not good. I had a situation a little like yours @GBCK. I got pressured into having people over on Christmas. I said okay, but only if people are outside only and masked. I wanted it to be 1-2 hours tops. People had too much to drink and ignored my suggestions to wrap it up so finally I lost it. Not my finest moment, but I’m so tired of everyone acting like the pandemic isn’t real. There was also some drama with FBIL which was pretty bad and my heart hurts for FSIL A. At least FI and I are good and we had a nice time together. He is off for the next ten days and I am so jealous. I wish I had some extra days off to spend with him too. He’s so funny, last week he made a whole spreadsheet with tasks and goals for each day he’s off. I had to give him kudos. I would have probably made a list and then done zero things on it. I know he’s going to get a ton done. This is the longest he’s ever been off as an adult that’s not trip/vacation related and I think it will be good for him. 

In other good news the other clinic got snowed out and I didn’t have to go there this morning. I still woke up at an ungodly hour and was 65 minutes into my drive there before getting the call, but I’m glad I’m at my home site. I’m torn on a workout today. I still have a little shin split that’s being a pain and on our walk on Saturday I tripped and sprained my wrist when I broke my fall so I shouldn’t do weights. Drinking wasn’t even involved with that one, just me being a clumsy mess who apparently doesn’t know how to pick up her feet while walking. Ugh. 

• levioosa said:
    Christmas was not good. I had a situation a little like yours @GBCK. I got pressured into having people over on Christmas. I said okay, but only if people are outside only and masked. I wanted it to be 1-2 hours tops. People had too much to drink and ignored my suggestions to wrap it up so finally I lost it. Not my finest moment, but I’m so tired of everyone acting like the pandemic isn’t real. There was also some drama with FBIL which was pretty bad and my heart hurts for FSIL A. At least FI and I are good and we had a nice time together. He is off for the next ten days and I am so jealous. I wish I had some extra days off to spend with him too. He’s so funny, last week he made a whole spreadsheet with tasks and goals for each day he’s off. I had to give him kudos. I would have probably made a list and then done zero things on it. I know he’s going to get a ton done. This is the longest he’s ever been off as an adult that’s not trip/vacation related and I think it will be good for him. 

In other good news the other clinic got snowed out and I didn’t have to go there this morning. I still woke up at an ungodly hour and was 65 minutes into my drive there before getting the call, but I’m glad I’m at my home site. I’m torn on a workout today. I still have a little shin split that’s being a pain and on our walk on Saturday I tripped and sprained my wrist when I broke my fall so I shouldn’t do weights. Drinking wasn’t even involved with that one, just me being a clumsy mess who apparently doesn’t know how to pick up her feet while walking. Ugh. 
    I should do that - I write myself notes when I have time off, but a whole spreadsheet - that's upping the game!

Glad you didn't have to go into the other clinic, but it sucks you didn't find out until you were already on your way!  Darn!  And so sorry to hear that you sprained your wrist!  I hope it heals up quick.