Wedding Woes

You're not wrong for waiting, but realize it may never happen.

Dear Prudence,

On the last day of a family trip, my stepfather suddenly died. We knew he didn’t have long, but it was still pretty traumatic. My mother and I have always been close, and I was her rock for the first year after his death. Then she met someone and abruptly stopped talking to me, my brother, and our kids. I brought it up with her countless times, telling her how it felt, how much I missed her, and eventually warning her that it will affect her relationship with her children and grandchildren. This new guy was incredibly off-putting. We gave him a chance, but it was very clear that he was taking advantage of her generosity and large pension. She finally realized that he was not interested in a relationship with her, and they stayed friends.

Now she’s dating someone new, and I was recently at her home for the weekend. “Adam” was there, constantly interrupting me and talking over me. He tried to diagnose one of my family members with a common disorder because he took one psych course in college. This was only my second time meeting him, but I let it go. The next day, I mentioned one of my daughters quit horseback riding, and he interrupted to tell me a good parent would have made her get back on the horse. I let him know that she did get back on the horse and finished off her lessons for that month as well. He just kept putting his oar in all weekend—at one point he told me he thought my behavior is “maladaptive” and I should rethink my decisions. I looked at my mom, and she said nothing. I went to my room and started packing. Adam came in to apologize, touching my back to get my attention. I told him I didn’t ask for his opinion, that he was not my father, and that just because he was sleeping with my mother didn’t mean he was entitled to speak about situations he knows nothing about. He walked away, and my mom came in shouting that I was behaving like an adolescent and that I should have just told him when he was interrupting. I asked her when it became my house, because it’s the host’s responsibility to correct bad behavior. She lost it when I pointed out that she had abandoned her family for the last two years. It’s now been two weeks, and I haven’t spoken to my mother. I truly don’t want to. Is it wrong that I’m waiting for her to apologize?

—Bad Blood

Re: You're not wrong for waiting, but realize it may never happen.

• Neither one of you handled things all that appropriately and your reaction was rather adolescent.   

Adam sounds like no prize and rather than address his behavior you assigned him a role that you think he's intending to assume rather than the role he currently has  - arrogant asshole.     You are also a grown woman, see your mother has a sad void in her life and need to focus on what he's said only. 

"Adam, I can appreciate your concern here and the matter has been handled."  

Also, I would love to know what your mom thinks here.  Did she really abandon you or did she start to occupy some of the time she previously spent with you talking to Adam and the new people in her life?    Has she ignored your children and their major life events like birthdays and holidays or is she simply being an active woman with a social life? 

You also owe your mother an apology and need to understand that unless your mother has truly walked away from you or abandoned you she should not be punished because she's dating again. 

• Yeah, it sounds like everyone sucks.  Also, this seems to be a pattern with mom that she wants LW around until she has a new man and then she's good on LW.  LW also sounds a little overbearing since they kept 'warning' mom about the detriment to her familial relationships because of her romantic relationships.  

LW can't change mom, but they can learn boundaries.  They also need to realize they have things to apologize for themselves.  Perhaps a session or a few years with a therapist may help?
  • You all behaved badly. Adam's a jerk for sure, but you did overreact. And your mom shouldn't have ignored what was going on.

I understand why you don't want to apologize and are waiting for you mother to do so. But I think you need to decide what you want more: your mom to admit that she was wrong or to fix things between you and your mom. If it's the latter, you may need to apologize first. Sometimes in life, we have to be the bigger person if we want to move on from or fix something, no matter how annoying it may be. Give it some thought.
  • No clean hands. Adam was a jerk, no doubt about it, and your mom should have spoken up on your behalf.

But you got your own hands dirty by overreacting. You're right that the topic of the discussion was none of Adam's business, but you went too far in the rest of what you said to him. You could have said, "Adam, I am not okay with your giving me unsolicited advice. Please stop." 

As for your mom apologizing, I don't think that's going to happen any time soon. You may have to apologize to her first, however insincerely, to elicit anything positive from her. Your feelings don't seem to be in the same galaxy as the top of her priorities.