Wedding Woes

Furniture

Tell me the places you like to order furniture from.

I'm going to be in a position to start buying furniture that only me, myself, and I have to like.  TBH, I've never been in that position before and I'm not quite sure what my "style" really is.  So, I'm just looking at stuff right now for ideas.

Re: Furniture

• My heart says Pottery Barn. My wallet has always told me Living Spaces. 

• I've heard good things about Joybird  (kind $$) and Article (more reasonable) 

I like West Elm too.  I'm also not above Ikea, depending on what it is.  LOL 
  • Ikea is good - but hit or miss. Their "as is" section is pretty good but be picky. Mostly they're just returns and usually pretty good quality.

Depending on wallet and location, home goods and even some thrift stores have good selection
  • I like West Elm and Crate & Barrel and my budget likes Wayfair. 
  • I like West Elm and Crate & Barrel and my budget likes Wayfair. 
    True Story GIFs  Tenor
  • I’d say invest in the furniture you’re going to spend the most time sitting/ laying on/ using a lot and save on the areas where you might not need it to be sturdy/ last forever. 

We got a beautiful chair from Raymour & Flannigan for the baby’s room. Definitely more of a splurge (although they run some good sales) and well use it in our living room when we don’t need it upstairs anymore. We didn’t go high end for a dresser/ crib. We also splurged on an excellent bed/ mattress last year but haven’t bothered with bedroom furniture yet. 

It helped to think of what we’d be using the most/ longest and spend the money there then compliment that with matching but less expensive (Wayfair) options. 
  • I have a mishmash of places I've ordered from. Also love Pottery Barn and West Elm but I can't afford that right now. 

My dining set is from All Modern. Couch from Ashley. Kitchen island, bed and mattress on Amazon. TV stand (with fireplace insert) from Lowe's. 

I have a bunch of custom stuff from Ethan Allen that I'm still waiting for, so I'm in limbo until the divorce is settled. 
  • I haven't ordered furniture online before. When I moved into my apartment about 5 years ago, I purchased from IKEA in person a few pieces of furniture.

But I'm going to have to buy some new furniture soon - desk and chair for bedroom, coffee and end tables for living room and new dining furniture. Not sure where to buy it though!
  • If you can buy investment pieces I'd go to "nicer" places like Raymour and Flannigan or Ethan Allen. 

I'm going to really love when DH and I can have nice things which is probably going to be when I'm 50. 
  • I'm kind of looking at it as buying investment pieces once a year.  There are some things that I need sooner, so they'll happen first, but other things I'll slowly replace. I'm just kind of struggling to find what I like b/c it's always been, "i like this, but does it come in this color or does [name of person living with] like it as well."  So, I've kind of neutralized my own taste and I'm struggling to find it again.

I did find a store that has some things I LOVE, but I'm sure they're very pricey.  It's also pretty...eclectic, and I'd need to sit with it awhile.  

:smiley:
  • Well, I might buy investment pieces for the living and dining room (it's actually one combined room), but for my desk and chair, fairly basic office furniture from someplace like Office Depot or Staples is fine as long as it otherwise meets my specifications. Right now I'm sitting at a desk that doesn't have a kneehole under the top, so I have to twist my body sideways to sit at it. I'm also sitting on a folding chair. And I have to install a second computer for my new job. So my new desk has to have enough space to hold both computer systems, my printer and some peripherals. And my chair needs to be one that I can comfortably sit on. That's important because I spend most of the day sitting at my desk using my computer. Also, I don't want to spend too much on office furniture because I need to replace really old mattresses very soon. That's my highest big-ticket spending priority right now that I'm saving for. I've been doing that for a while.
  • Since you are also trying to find your style, I'd suggest reading up on interior decorating.  The more pictures you look at and tips you read, the better a sense you will get for what types of styles/pieces/colors you feel drawn to and inspired by.

This may not be your thing.  But, especially if you are looking to buy investment pieces slowly, if you dig around and keep your eyes out, you can find beautiful and high quality pieces at estate sales and all the second hand sites like FB Marketplace.  Though I don't recommend used for mattresses or anything upholstered.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I have a few things from Wayfair/Joss&Main. I've also found some things that I like on Overstock and Macy's. 

For investment pieces, I just need to see them in person. I really like Front Gate and West Elm. We've had some luck at outlet stores, but that's all on hold for a while. Same with Marshalls/Home Goods. I'm not risking a crowded store for hit or miss non-necessities right now. 
  • I have a few things from Wayfair/Joss&Main. I've also found some things that I like on Overstock and Macy's. 

For investment pieces, I just need to see them in person. I really like Front Gate and West Elm. We've had some luck at outlet stores, but that's all on hold for a while. Same with Marshalls/Home Goods. I'm not risking a crowded store for hit or miss non-necessities right now. 
    Pretty much this too.  I'm not going to pull the trigger on anything that I expect to be used for years and "shown".  I'd consider buying things like a loft bed for the kids online but not living or dining room furniture.  

That makes me even more likely to avoid an Ikea and to head to a nicer place.  
  • Unfortunately, I am not a secondhand/antiques shopper.  I think there were too many years of my mother and her cohorts dragging me around to all of the antique malls around here to enjoy any of that.  So much of it is also "need to be restored" type stuff and that's not my jam either.
  • VarunaTT said:
    Unfortunately, I am not a secondhand/antiques shopper.  I think there were too many years of my mother and her cohorts dragging me around to all of the antique malls around here to enjoy any of that.  So much of it is also "need to be restored" type stuff and that's not my jam either.
    I can totally understand!  I've been in a lot of antique stores that looked more like garage sales, without the clothes.

I'm probably biased because I've only been to two estate sales in my lifetime.  But they were truly ESTATE sales.  Like, "just the property taxes in this neighborhood are more than my whole salary", lol.  I wasn't even there for furniture, though I wish I had been.  I was shocked at how stunning and high quality the pieces were.

I have a friend who makes a decent side income buying furniture that are good quality materials, but need to be restored.  She even has the tools and know-how to re-upholster.  I have none of that kind of talent or vision, lol.  But she always leaves me in awe at what she creates from furniture I would have thrown in the trash.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • VarunaTT said:
    Unfortunately, I am not a secondhand/antiques shopper.  I think there were too many years of my mother and her cohorts dragging me around to all of the antique malls around here to enjoy any of that.  So much of it is also "need to be restored" type stuff and that's not my jam either.
    I can totally understand!  I've been in a lot of antique stores that looked more like garage sales, without the clothes.

I'm probably biased because I've only been to two estate sales in my lifetime.  But they were truly ESTATE sales.  Like, "just the property taxes in this neighborhood are more than my whole salary", lol.  I wasn't even there for furniture, though I wish I had been.  I was shocked at how stunning and high quality the pieces were.

I have a friend who makes a decent side income buying furniture that are good quality materials, but need to be restored.  She even has the tools and know-how to re-upholster.  I have none of that kind of talent or vision, lol.  But she always leaves me in awe at what she creates from furniture I would have thrown in the trash.
    We bought a beautifully restored dresser for the baby’s room. It’s a solid mid century (probably oak?) but updated hardware and paint/ stain. It’s so cool I might move it into our room when he gets older so he doesn’t ruin it. 
  • For upholstered quality pieces, I would look at lazy boy - as the commercial says they have a lot more than recliners. We bought two living room chairs there last winter and really like them. They also have lots of different styles. I also like Ethan Allen or look at local furniture stores (when possible). I agree to go quality with pieces that will be used a lot. We had our kitchen table made at an Amish furniture store and our great grand children should be using it LOL!

• mrsconn23mrsconn23 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited January 2021
    For upholstered quality pieces, I would look at lazy boy - as the commercial says they have a lot more than recliners. We bought two living room chairs there last winter and really like them. They also have lots of different styles. I also like Ethan Allen or look at local furniture stores (when possible). I agree to go quality with pieces that will be used a lot. We had our kitchen table made at an Amish furniture store and our great grand children should be using it LOL!

My parents had their stereo cabinet, living room, and dining room tables made by the Amish (up in Shipshewana) and they are built to last forever.  I also think the high chair my mom bought for the grandkids was from the Amish as well and that thing shows zero wear and tear after 13+ years and 3 kids using it pretty often.